Automatic Skills (or the lack thereof) How do you do it?

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Automatic Skills (or the lack thereof) How do you do it?

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

In TMNT the book said all PC's automatically had the skills of Basic Math, Speak Native Language and Read/write Native language.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezey

Now with AtB2 we're told there are NO automatic skills, that it isn't uncommon for characters to be illiterate or unable to speak a native language because some mutants can't speak at all.

I'm mostly ok with the 1st part of that. So my PC can't read or do math. Meh depending on his background I'm ok with burning a skill slot for a couple of basic education skills (math: basic and literacy). What's really getting me is the inability to speak a native language automatically. Why am I going to spend the Bio-E on Full Speech if I can't talk? (my games don't use psionics).

I'm expecting the argument of, Human babies have the capability of full speech, but have to be taught how to form words and coherent sounds. Why should your PC be any different?

I hear what you're saying and agree to a VERY small extent. IF, and ONLY IF, the PC get's boned with the Feral Background to where they are basically all on their lonesome with no one to teach them squat, then I'd go with yeah you need to take language (whatever the players native language is). The other possible scenario would be if the PC has a background that includes a language other than (the players) native as an automatic skill. Thyfur's adapted MiA Gypsy background starts out with language Angloromani. To me this says the PC grew up knowing a primary language that wasn't the native tongue of the players. Otherwise, the PC (in my non-psionic world) is going to grow up around other NPC's who in the course of whatever education they have, teach them to speak their native tongue.

How do you all handle this in your games?

I've gotten on a kick lately of playing PC's as close to RAW as possible and this is starting to stick in my craw. I'm losing skill slots, which takes away from my character background concept story, in order to buy language, literacy, and math.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Re: Automatic Skills (or the lack thereof) How do you do it?

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I posted this as a legit question, not just an opportunity to grouse about things. i would appreciate your feedback
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I posted this as a legit question, not just an opportunity to grouse about things. i would appreciate your feedback

Fair 'nough mate. Honestly I handle it according to the character type; if your character isn't designed to speak, no BIO-E spent on speech, then you don't speak any language, but you can understand a language. If you used BIO-E for full speech then you can speak a language as well as understand it. You get basic math from simple experience or you were taught just enough to get by, the same with reading. So in essence I go by what the player's concept for their charater is so most characters get Automatic skills, unless there's soem specific reason why they wouldn't.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

Just to streamline things a bit. everyone that has the ability to speak, can speak. Now what their native language is depends on where they are from.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Just looking at the term: NATIVE Language indicates that the character has been taught FROM BIRTH to speak it. If the character wasn't taught to speak a language at an early age, but instead learned one later on in adulthood this would not, technically speaking, be a NATIVE language, even if the country or region he was born in speaks it.
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by DevastationBob »

I think civilized mutant animals, those from towns and communities, should still get the old automatic skills. A total feral born mutant wouldn't, but should have the option to pick it up as a secondary skill, (assuming speech is even possible) or can just use telepathic transmission to communicate ideas and desires if not actual words.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”