Board index » SDC Worlds » After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:11 pm

Hero

While poking at an AtB scenario I've been working on-and-off on for a few years (The Things We Leave Behind), I had the idea of turning the underlying theme into a game setting. The following is the skeleton I've come up with, and would greatly appreciate any thoughts you all might have. Like much, it is a work in progress.

Quote:
The Things They Left Behind

Fantasy like post-human world where lifted species and AI creations (Player Characters) struggle to survive against the monsters (sentient machines and genetically engineered organisms) that “those who left” (humanity) left behind. Some of these monsters are discarded tools, while others were meant to heal the world of the damage their forebears had wrought upon the Earth by tearing down the cities and buried infrastructures humanity had now abandoned, as well as repair the damage to the ecosystem. Unfortunately, the lifted species and AI have started to move into the old cities and to reclaim the infrastructures as they try to claim the Earth as theirs, and so now have to fight the things “they” left behind.

The characters will need to defend against the beasts that want to destroy the areas they are trying to rebuild, as well as old tools that had been discarded and just want a place to rest peacefully. They will be sent to areas to scavenge and salvage the means to protect and grow the new civilizations populated by them, “the things ‘they’ left behind”. They will occasionally stumble upon some who worship "those who left" as gods and the things they left behind as their angels and demons doing their gods work.

Who will survive the things they left behind?
Who will dominate the things they left behind?
Who will defeat the things they left behind?
Who will control the things they left behind?
Who will be consumed by the things they left behind?

Will they return... for the things they left behind?

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:27 am

Knight

Sounds a little like a D&D game I wanted to run years ago but never got around to it. Basically a fantasy world (based on Earth) hundreds of years after some apocalyptic event wiped out most of humanity. No humans (only the occasional human npc in stasis), and most of the 'classic' fantasy races are present. On occasion there would be an attack by the 'steel monsters'. Pre Apoc robotic vehicles/robots running on degraded programming. These provide most of the high quality metal that is re-smelted by the current races into tools, weapons & armour.

Maybe also look into the Numenera RPG. A setting several eons into a future earth and the rise and fall of several civilizations.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:28 am

Dungeon Crawler

By "lifted" do you mean "uplifted?"

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Champion

I can't remember the name of it, but the idea of cyborg animals roaming around the wilderness reminds me of trailers for a PS4 game I once saw. Sounds like a pretty cool scenario Rali

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:06 am

Hero

CyCo, Numenera sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to check it out some time. I think replacing D&D monsters with "metal" equivalents is probably pretty common to get a fantasy/sci-fi game going.

thorr-kan, Just using 'lifted' as shorthand.

The Oh So Amazing Nate, Horizon Zero Dawn had robot monsters in a post-apocalyptic setting with humans reverting to tribal communities. I never played it, but watch some of the game play videos. Not exactly the feel I was going for, but most likely added some inspiration.

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:32 pm

Champion

[quote="Rali"
The Oh So Amazing Nate, Horizon Zero Dawn had robot monsters in a post-apocalyptic setting with humans reverting to tribal communities. I never played it, but watch some of the game play videos. Not exactly the feel I was going for, but most likely added some inspiration.[/quote]

Yeah! That's the one. I never played it either, but it looked cool. I read the link you supplied for this campaign on your webpage. Good stuff, I like where you're going with it

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol: