Board index » SDC Worlds » After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:25 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 128
I know that palladium doesn't own the rights to tmnt and other strangeness anymore, but who does?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:01 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 4291
Location: my well-camouflaged lair on LI
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!
Palladium has the rights to the RPG aspects, just not the Mirage content. In other words, everything but all the mentions & appearances of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & the characters that appeared in the Mirage comics. Once the license lapsed, PB did After The Bomb & the "Mutants In" sourcebooks (Mutants in Orbot, Mutants in Yucatan, ect.). It is possible to reprint the TMNT & OS content with some rework, just removing the TMNT properties & replacing them with more generic player content.

_________________
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:46 pm
  

User avatar
Virtuoso of Variants

Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:18 pm
Posts: 6711
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
I believe the rights are owned by Nickelodeon now, with Mirage Studios being allowed to publish 18 issues a year of their comic book series.

_________________
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php?title=Main_Page


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:58 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 4291
Location: my well-camouflaged lair on LI
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!
Currently, IDW does a nice re-telling of the TMNT, combining a lot of lore form the past cartoon series' & putting a new spin on things.
I haven't seen a Mirage TMNT comic since they ended it years ago.

_________________
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:15 am
  

User avatar
Rifts® Trivia Master

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:37 pm
Posts: 14200
Location: Missouri
BookWyrm wrote:
Palladium has the rights to the RPG aspects, just not the Mirage content. In other words, everything but all the mentions & appearances of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & the characters that appeared in the Mirage comics. Once the license lapsed, PB did After The Bomb & the "Mutants In" sourcebooks (Mutants in Orbot, Mutants in Yucatan, ect.). It is possible to reprint the TMNT & OS content with some rework, just removing the TMNT properties & replacing them with more generic player content.


i've actually suggested this for TDTMNT.. strip out the turtles and ATB specific stuff, and adapt it over to HU. having read the comics, Palladium appears ot have invented the time travel system for it whole cloth to explain the never-detailed timetravel mechanics in the comics, so it should be fair game. and time travel is something superhero comics often make use of, so it would fit pretty well into HU.

_________________
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Co-author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
Image
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:15 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 128
They could definitely do that, or roll it into its own universal sourcebook or game or something


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:12 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:54 pm
Posts: 202
Location: The Devil's Gate, Missouri
Thom001 wrote:
They could definitely do that, or roll it into its own universal sourcebook or game or something

What do you think After The Bomb was?

_________________
A wise man once correctly stated,"Life without pain has no meaning."
---Ladies and Gentlemen, I wish to give your lives meaning!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:08 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 4291
Location: my well-camouflaged lair on LI
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!
glitterboy2098 wrote:
i've actually suggested this for TDTMNT.. strip out the turtles and ATB specific stuff, and adapt it over to HU. having read the comics, Palladium appears ot have invented the time travel system for it whole cloth to explain the never-detailed timetravel mechanics in the comics, so it should be fair game. and time travel is something superhero comics often make use of, so it would fit pretty well into HU.


I agree. Guide to the Universe would have to be almost rewritten from the ground up. A lot in that book references TMNT/Mirage properties, but most of the essential stuff pertaining to ATB would still work. Most of Transdimensional could stay, with a few rewrites on characters & places to make things fit. Maybe combine TD with GttU into one book?
Truckin', Go Hollywood and Adventures will have to see some rewriting/updating to fit better into a 'generic-player-character' form & combined into a adventure book.
Road Hogs could be updated & expanded to include the rest of the American continent, with the Plains of Free Cattle added with the stuff from the original Road Hogs.
The other ATB1 books can stand on their own, maybe with an errata detailing updates.

_________________
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:57 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 128
Mr. Jays wrote:
Thom001 wrote:
They could definitely do that, or roll it into its own universal sourcebook or game or something

What do you think After The Bomb was?

Only one aspect of the tmnt universe, not the time travel stuff that glitterboy was talking about.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:52 pm
  

User avatar
Rifts® Trivia Master

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:37 pm
Posts: 14200
Location: Missouri
BookWyrm wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:
i've actually suggested this for TDTMNT.. strip out the turtles and ATB specific stuff, and adapt it over to HU. having read the comics, Palladium appears ot have invented the time travel system for it whole cloth to explain the never-detailed timetravel mechanics in the comics, so it should be fair game. and time travel is something superhero comics often make use of, so it would fit pretty well into HU.


I agree. Guide to the Universe would have to be almost rewritten from the ground up. A lot in that book references TMNT/Mirage properties, but most of the essential stuff pertaining to ATB would still work. Most of Transdimensional could stay, with a few rewrites on characters & places to make things fit. Maybe combine TD with GttU into one book?
Truckin', Go Hollywood and Adventures will have to see some rewriting/updating to fit better into a 'generic-player-character' form & combined into a adventure book.
Road Hogs could be updated & expanded to include the rest of the American continent, with the Plains of Free Cattle added with the stuff from the original Road Hogs.
The other ATB1 books can stand on their own, maybe with an errata detailing updates.


i'm not sure you could salvage anything from Guide to the universe.. pretty much everything in it is based on something from the comics. though much of it is inferred from setting or background stuff.

Transdimensional would be easy, since you'd just be replacing the TMNT based stuff (and the ATB stuff) with equivalents from HU. would mainly effect the storyline elements put in there, though it would need some major updating given how the system has changed. though honestly, i'd say updating and expansion would be the order of the day. you'd need to put in non-mutant version stats for many of the prehistoric creatures (and lets face it.. that would be a perfect time to update the depiction of dinosaurs to include more modern paleontology), as well as the history sections (a place where you could add a touch more accuracy.. as well as integrate some of the 'pulp age, silver age, golden age, etc' stuff brought up in Rifter #5 to help do 'heroes through time')and the HU setting just begs for some sort of time police organization or organizations, as well as time hopping criminal or villain organizations.

the trucking, hollywood, and adventures i agree, could easily be mined for HU content. the trick would be finding out how much was left after removing anything even one or two steps removed from TMNT.. though i suspect that things like the west coast ninja clan and the like, which were not in the comics but derived from PB's approach to the setting, could probably be renamed and tweaked to make them more distinct to HU.

the After the Bomb Books i tend to treat as a separate thing, given that ATB has had a standalone revival of sorts. i would love to see the old region sourcebooks given a proper update for the newer version of the game. much of the reworking needed to update the backgrounds and other parts have already been done here on the forums by fans, but i think that instead of compilation of the books, they should each be expanded to include newer material. Mutantas of the Yucatan could easily include both an updated version of the "Adventures in the Yucatan" pamphlet, as well as a tweaked version of the Mesozoic Land article from the rifter (perhaps the dino's have expanded to the yucatan area as their first off-island colony? i could see the carnivore nation deciding it needed some more space and maybe a new source of food and servants.

Mutants Down under i actually did a review and brainstorming session for a few years back, wich has thoughts on how to update and expand it.

Mutants in Avalon doesn't have too much extant to work with in terms of adding more stuff, but the England setting really could use some extra depth added, as well as perhaps a bit of tweaking to the storyline campaign in it to make it feel more ATB and less "merlin and magic tacked on". expanding on france and the other nations of europe would also be an awesome thing to see, given the ATB2 main book hints at a bunch of stuff for them already.

and i Think roadhogs remains best as a stand alone book.. but you could easily add in some of the free cattle stuff this forum has created, as well as expanding the stuff outside california. what is in oregon and washington other than the Road Hogs gangs, and how do those gangs manage to have an actual 'quasi-nation? give us more on the prairie dogs and their theocracy, the pregunda(sp?), etc..

_________________
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Co-author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
Image
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group