Board index » SDC Worlds » Systems Failure™

Post subject: Bug Society
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:32 pm

Wanderer

So this weekend, I ran my first SF adventure (also my playing group's first contact with SF. I handled this like a demo game with pre-gens).

It went something like this: (Note: our setting was in Portugal as that's where we live :P )

The basis for the characters is that they are a group of travelling gypsies trading goods with the communities they encounter and scrounging whatever they can. Basically one of the players is a freebooter and then everyone else plays a role in the travelling group (Grease monkey fixing things up; 2 Splatterpunks, an Exterminator and a Peacekeeper for protection and helping the community people they come across; and Sawbones to keep everybody healthy).

The adventure started with the group on the outskirts of a small rural community. As they approach the community they are accosted by a zombie partrol in police uniform and car. As soon as they figure out they are silkworm humans they gun them down and hide the bodies off the main road. They move on to the community which has the roads barricaded and guarded. They convince the guard that they have useful goods to trade with the community and mean no harm.

So the group does some trading and meets some NPCs and give them some info about the surrounding area that can carry them on for quite a few adventures depending on what they decide to pursue. Just before the end of the adventure a small bug raid comes through town because of the dead zombie patrol providing some first hand contact with some army ants and a bomber beetle. They have a hard time dealing with the bugs as they are inexperienced dealing with them... next time they will be more careful and plan things a bit. heh heh :lol:

Anyway, the main point is there is a nearby city which has a silkworm colony/human slave camp. Inside the city, there's still electricity because the bugs keep it running yet there is a small underground rebel group with an egghead on the brink of developing some kind of hybrid bug tech gun (organitechnology - remember this is in Portugal, so there is no NORAD influence...). The characters want to go to this city obviously.

My question is this: What do bugs do all day?
Supposedly, silkworm zombies and human slaves keep technology and electricity running so what do the bugs do aside from feed on energy?
I'm asking this because in the next session my group will be going to this city and I want to set the city up but I suddenly started wondering what they would be doing aside from just walking around on guard and feeding. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Bug Society
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:47 pm

Hero

Comment: Ruadh gu brath
What do cockroaches do when they aren't feeding or fighting?
Makin' love.

Seriously tho, probably not much, even tho they're sentient. Maybe plot the takeover of their next world?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:00 pm

Wanderer

Laux the Ogre wrote:
What do cockroaches do when they aren't feeding or fighting?
Makin' love.

Seriously tho, probably not much, even tho they're sentient. Maybe plot the takeover of their next world?

haha :lol:

I guess... it was just that though... they're sentient so I was wondering if there was more to them. But I guess I'll just have bugs wandering around (random encounter table), a silkworm/human slave camp and feeding areas where they are lounging around gorging themselves on energy!

thanks

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Hero

Well, they could have a society like cockroaches. Check out this link
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/16/science/16roach.html
Maybe that will help.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:55 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: All right, torch bearer, this is what we hired you for. Go in that cave, so we can see whats in there.
You could have them doing stuff. Who says they don't have art or sports? Sure, there will be guards and overseers, but thats not all of them. Have some playing games, like Dodge Energy Ball, or Bowling for Zombies...

Maybe some are making sculptures or paintings. If the net is still up, maybe they are surfing the web? Have the groups see a Play about the invasion of the earth. Even funnier, have the party find a theater still showing movies, and the bugs are watching them! Somehow, I don't think Starship Troopers would be a big hit with them.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Hero

If they have arts or sports, they are probably all group-activities. Roaches aren't loners(very social, just watch Joe's Apartment).

The theater idea is great. I can see it being like Gremlins.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:47 pm

Wanderer

in a theater watching Starship troopers! Brilliant!! :lol:

actually during the session I had them transporting some electricity poles and cables alongside zombie patrols on their way to rebuild some electrical power station.

The theater situation would have just taken any seriousness out of the game... haha but still great idea!