EMP

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

EMP

Unread post by dargo83 »

Has anyone though of making a emp weapon to use against the bugs when they are in there energy form. or to drive them from elctronic devises. i know this would destroy the devises but it would get rid of the bugs. or it might force them out of there energy form and stun them for a little bit.
Aramanthus
Monk

Re: EMP

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I can tell you I haven't given it much thought. Since I only got to play this for a short campaign over eight years ago. I've never run with it. Take it and run with the idea.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

i will iam not playing the game i am using the bugs for a starship troopers game i am making. i was throwing around the idea for other people that play.
Aramanthus
Monk

Hopefully someone will carry out your idea. I'd love to see it developed into something useable.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

thinking up an idea for this but have a question about the bugs energy form
does there have to be power going thru the hard line for them to travel down it
or does it just have to be there ?

and what would an emp do to a hard line ?
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

hummm went looking around and found an interesting idea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosivel ... _generator

now just have to work outthe size of the device and the range and effects of the emp

doesnt look to big in the pic so maybe something about the size of the ritz-o-matic
would work but at ground lvl what sounds good for range of the emp i was thinking
50 miles but imput would be helpfull
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

ok been trying to think what an emp weapon would be best used for
i have it as an assault and support weapon

and just havent come up with a good name for this weapon

the weapon is a little bigger than the rits-o-matic and removes
the bug containment systems and replaces them with a
Explosively pumped flux compression generator which is used to
generate a high-power electromagnetic pulse by compressing magnetic
flux using high explosive

any thought on this weapon would be greatfull

stats

weight : 75 lbs
emp range : 4 miles
damage : explosion does 3D6x10 to a 10ft area
effects of the emp

the emp burst has the effect of disrupting the bio energy
of the bugs in its area of effect and destroying any electrical
equipment in the area

effects on bugs in energy form
any bugs in energy form will be forced back in to there solid form
and kicked out of hardlines and any machiens they are hideing in
there bio weapons will be rendered inert and the bug will be dazed
for 1D6 melee rounds the bugs have no bonuses and only have half
there attacks during this time

effects on bugs in physical form
the bio energy of any bug in physical form in the emp pulse area
will be dazed for 1D4 melee rounds and there bio weapons will be
rendered inert and will have no bonuses and only have half there
attacks during this time

draw backs of this weapon and why norad only uses them in very
special situations

1.norad splicers will suffer all the same effects as listed for the bugs

2. all electrical equipment in the area is destoryed makeing the area
an electrial dead zone till repairs can be made

3. the bio energy that powers all organitechnology weapons will be disrupted
for 1D4 melee rounds and the weapons will not work during this time

Aramanthus
Monk

Sounds pretty cool! I see you ran with it! Please keep it coming!

HH....FIE
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

I like it.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosivel ... _generator

i keep looking at this thing and it reminds me of the hand gernades used by the germans
during ww2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M24_1.JPG and it gave me an idea
as allways any thought on this idea are welcome

emp hand gernade
consists of a metal tube about 1ft long and a metal canister about 5in high by 4in round .
the handel carries the explosives and magnetic field generating equipment and the canister
is a bio energy power cell that powers the magnetic field befor detonation. instead of a pin
there is a plastic tab that goes between the power leads from the canister to the handel
pull the tab power builds takes about 4 sec when power is at max the explosives go off and
then you get a low yield emp pulse good for up to 50 ft.

here are the stats i came up with

weight : 8 lbs
emp range : 50ft
damage : explosion does 1D4x10 to a 10ft area
effects of the emp

the emp burst has the effect of disrupting the bio energy
of the bugs in its area of effect and destroying any electrical
equipment in the area

effects on bugs in energy form
any bugs in energy form will be forced back in to there solid form
and kicked out of hardlines and any machiens they are hideing in
for 1 melee round there bio weapons will be rendered inert
and the bug will be dazed and have no bonuses and only have half
there attacks during this time

effects on bugs in physical form
the emp will disrupt the bio energy of any bug in physical form
the bugs will be dazed for 1 melee round and there bio weapons
will be rendered inert and will have no bonuses and only have
half there attacks during this time

norad splicers will feel the same effects from these gernades
and any biotec weapons will be rendered inert for 1 meele round
biotech controll systems in vehicles will take to 2 melee rounds
to recover one to get past the effects and one to reboot the system

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

an emp weapon does it's damage to electronics due to the Em field interacting with metal (like wires) to create electrical surges.

as such, trying to EMP bugs in hardlines isn't going to kill them...just give them a snack.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

glitterboy2098 wrote:an emp weapon does it's damage to electronics due to the Em field interacting with metal (like wires) to create electrical surges.

as such, trying to EMP bugs in hardlines isn't going to kill them...just give them a snack.

i wasnt sure exactly how an emp worked or did its damage i was thinking the electro magnetic wave from the blast might disrupt the bugs bio energy not destroy it just knock it silly for a few min ? sounded good at the time

abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

kevarin wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_pumped_flux_compression_generator

i keep looking at this thing and it reminds me of the hand grenades used by the Germans
during ww2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M24_1.JPG and it gave me an idea
as allways any thought on this idea are welcome

emp hand grenade

How about a Russian RPG-7 style rocket version. Launcher can almost be home made if not already in the gun locker. Also has a little more range and manufactured by Airtronic USA as well.

TBG-7V Single-stage thermobaric rocket can have the Air-Fuel replaced with Bug Juice for more fun.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

kevarin wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:an emp weapon does it's damage to electronics due to the Em field interacting with metal (like wires) to create electrical surges.

i wasnt sure exactly how an emp worked or did its damage i was thinking the electro magnetic wave from the blast might disrupt the bugs bio energy not destroy it just knock it silly for a few min ? sounded good at the time

I've thought about the EMP weapon too in the past. I couldn't seem to come up with anything damaging about it other than shutting down the machines that they are controlling.

My understanding of an EMP is that, yes, it creates a surge. The surge will obstruct the flow of electricity by filling all of the components with electrons. This will interrupt the flow like a storm drain that has no where to empty the water. The machines will shut down and in some case, some will shor circuit and be damaged. Eventually, when the effects wear off, some electronics will be able to be usable again.

So for a bug that is in a hardline, a surge will do one of two things depending on what their laws of hardline traveling are (which I don't think the book explains).
One, it will simply feed them electricity if they don't have to 'flow' through the wiring like electricity.
Or Two, if they do need to flow like electricity, it will stop their travel for a period of time since the electricity flow will be flooded.

If the answer is to stop them, then it would be difficult to trap something traveling at the speed of light. It would be luck or some well timed traps. I could see it being used for keeping reinforcements at bay for a while.

What would be nice is to drain the electricity in the area, like a reverse EMP.
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

zor_prime1 wrote:
kevarin wrote:

I've thought about the EMP weapon too in the past. I couldn't seem to come up with anything damaging about it other than shutting down the machines that they are controlling.

My understanding of an EMP is that, yes, it creates a surge. The surge will obstruct the flow of electricity by filling all of the components with electrons. This will interrupt the flow like a storm drain that has no where to empty the water. The machines will shut down and in some case, some will shor circuit and be damaged. Eventually, when the effects wear off, some electronics will be able to be usable again.

So for a bug that is in a hardline, a surge will do one of two things depending on what their laws of hardline traveling are (which I don't think the book explains).
One, it will simply feed them electricity if they don't have to 'flow' through the wiring like electricity.
Or Two, if they do need to flow like electricity, it will stop their travel for a period of time since the electricity flow will be flooded.

If the answer is to stop them, then it would be difficult to trap something traveling at the speed of light. It would be luck or some well timed traps. I could see it being used for keeping reinforcements at bay for a while.

What would be nice is to drain the electricity in the area, like a reverse EMP.

if it fills the bugs with electrons maybe the electrons can interrupt the flow of bio energy disorienting the bugs
and blocking the bio energy from getting to there weapons till it wears off ?

Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

A little rubber and a Faraday cage can easily shield electronics from an EMP, and might possibly provide some protection against the Bug's Machine Union ability.

The rubber and Faraday Cage concept works pretty simply. When an Electro-magnetic Pulse hits an electrical circuit it causes a sharp spike in energy, which usually causes an abrupt overload. As was stated earlier in a previous post, the electrons fill up all available circuit pathways and components, potentially causing shorts. With some simple shielding an EMP does not create a catastrophic spike of energy but instead creates more of a hill-shape with a flat top, spreading out the electro-magnetic event. This allows for a steady climb and then even distribution of energy through the circuits. It may cause a small surge, but the electronic device can sustain normal operation even in a nuclear event created EMP.

Such shielding requires little effort and takes up only a little more space on electrical components. It should be easy for someone with Basic Electrical skills to do provided they have instructions. An Electrical Engineer would be able to do this with no assitance or instruction as it is part of their standard training.

EMP hardened communications and vehicles would allow an advantage against the bugs, especially if such shielding made it harder for the bugs to enter and control.

Food for thought.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.

Return to “Systems Failure™”