Don't See A Lot Of Action Here?

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thlaylie
D-Bee

Don't See A Lot Of Action Here?

Unread post by Thlaylie »

I have had an Epiphany about RPGs: I prefer those that are self contained one shots like System's Failure. I don't even like The Rifter additions. Just pack everything in one book, EVERYTHING!

Nothing urks me more than seeing yet another $30 book I need to complete a game.

I have a friend that used to game master and he said he was sick of having to buy "The Complete R2D2's Eye" to continue his game. (Old GDW Star Wars)

Maybe Palladium should concentrate on making self contained one shots instead of Megaverse stuff?
dakota
Wanderer

Re: Don't See A Lot Of Action Here?

Unread post by dakota »

Never happen. RP'ers are known for being completists. They know that "Rifts World Book 137: The Island on the Left" will sell, so why push something that may or may not? I think that's why Warpath and Modern RECON haven't happened. In order to get good one shots (like Splicers and System Failure), you need writers that can really sell their ideas to the powers that be and convince them they would go over (like the Dead Reign team).

Myself, I'd sooner buy some fun stand alone books than "Dimension Book 52: The Pocket Dimension You Can't Pronounce" , but it's marketting, and the masses will have to have it for their collection.
I'm not sick, I'm twisted. Sick sounds like there is a cure....

Administrator of The Playground
Thlaylie
D-Bee

Wouldn't it make more sense to make a bunch of one shots that just happen to use the same rules (and make sure that really happens not just a hypey sell phrase) and that can be used as source books for each other?

That way you can get both the completists AND the stand aloners and make ALL the $$.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

A lot of gamers have the view if there is not new books coming out on a regular bases its a dead game and not worth playing. I personally think that is a silly view but have ran into it a lot.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Thlaylie
D-Bee

I actually cherish all my "Dead Games" as I know that I now have all there ever will be out for them and they are now "complete."

If they followed my idea for a series of one shots that all use the same rules, we could have complete games and dynamic games as each new game will add to the system.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

I love the setting, and i love that the baddies are so darn hard to take down. If you see a few you really should hide or run ag roup 5 to6 pcs with m16 or aks is going to have trouble with 3 or 4 bugs usaly.
Thats good thing makes it scarier
Thlaylie
D-Bee

If you want a nice change, run a campaign where your players are the Bugs.

It was fun because I didn't have to stifle the normal player/ character over-interaction, one telling another what he should do with his powers, because Bugs have radio/ telepathy.
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

Isn't splicers sapose to get a sourcebook? Remmember its palladium they don't have dead games, just irons that spend more time in the fire then others.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
Deckard1973
D-Bee

Unread post by Deckard1973 »

Thlaylie wrote:I have had an Epiphany about RPGs: I prefer those that are self contained one shots like System's Failure. I don't even like The Rifter additions. Just pack everything in one book, EVERYTHING!

Nothing urks me more than seeing yet another $30 book I need to complete a game.

I have a friend that used to game master and he said he was sick of having to buy "The Complete R2D2's Eye" to continue his game. (Old GDW Star Wars)

Maybe Palladium should concentrate on making self contained one shots instead of Megaverse stuff?

I see it as an opportunity for the gamer to take the one self contained book and run with it.
Think about it. How much more is our society dependent on technology then when Sys Fail first came out? Add some psychosis to the "media deparvation" to a character not being able to access his or her Fakebook account, adds a whole new dynamic.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Thlaylie wrote:If you want a nice change, run a campaign where your players are the Bugs.

It was fun because I didn't have to stifle the normal player/ character over-interaction, one telling another what he should do with his powers, because Bugs have radio/ telepathy.

Hmmmm.....sounds like fun! 8)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadowknight »

While I'm not a fan of buying 10,000 rifts books. I would appreciate some more books abou System Failure specially what happened to the rest f the world or a 28 days later, 28 weeks later, and 28 months later scenario.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I wouldn't say no to a SF sourcebook, or second book of any kind, but I don't really need it. SF has become my Palladium intro book of choice. The basic setting is fairly easy for most people to pick up, and you can teach general gameplay, and combat rules without magic/psychics complicated things.

I've also used SF as an expansion for HU, and NB. For example, humans spliced with bugs has become the product of alien backed corporate experiments, and may lead to an invasion in time.

Just an FYI, but the ADA from Nighbane can be a good mix into SF.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

It's because most of Palladium's customers are into Robotech and Rifts; Systems Failure and Recon are awesome games, but, they are not the games Palladium's core gamers are interested in playing.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

SF was also meant as a Y2K one shot as I recall.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Systems Failure™”