Tattoo Magic, related Races and Framework

Welcome to the Palladium Books destination for all things Savage Rifts™. Please keep conversions to items, people, etc found in the various Rifts books and/or Savage Rifts books.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Tattoo Magic, related Races and Framework

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Something I worked up today. Likely needs some adjustment.

Tattoo Magic
Tattoo magic is an ancient form of enchanting, imbuing living flesh with mystic power. Taught by the Chiang-ku to the True Atlanteans in the days of High Atlantis, it’s secrets were wrested by the Splugorth, either from rogue Chiang-ku or during the Atlantean diaspora after the Atlantean Cataclysm. For True Atlanteans, it is part of their culture; all True Atlanteans are tattooed young with the “Marks of Heritage”, including a sword bearing the crest of their Clan, and a mark providing protection against vampires. Not all True Atlanteans study tattoo magic; they can make use of the Marks of Heritage and minor tattoos, but without the Arcane Background in Tattoo Magic, they cannot acquire other Power Tattoos.
Tattoos form two basic types: Minor Tattoos, also called Gear Tattoos by Splugorth Slaves, and Power Tattoos. Minor Tattoos create relatively simple, mundane objects. Most common are Medieval Weapons, such as swords, clubs, flails, and so on, but can also include medieval armor, ropes, lockpicks, quivers of arrows, or any simple tool with a minimum of moving parts, and nothing which functions due to chemical reactions (so no batteries, bullets, or lighters, for example). Creating such objects requires no roll, but normally requires an action. Each different object requires a separate tattoo, and a single PPE. The object will persist indefinitely while attended to by the Tattooed Warrior, and for a round after they release it.
Power Tattoos are far more flexible, and more closely mimic the Powers of spellcasters, psychics, and other Arcane Backgrounds. A primary difference is range; powers designed to help someone frequently only function on the Tattooed Warrior themselves; functioning at their normal range requires a different tattoo, and an additional power point. Tattoos are also limited; any choices about the power, save the target, must be made when the tattoos is created; a Boost Strength Tattoo is different than a Boost Spirit Tattoo, and if the Tattooed Warrior is to use it beyond themselves, it will require a separate tattoo, and cost 3 (rather than 2) points to use.
All tattoos impart power and endurance to their bearers. For every tattoo, the bearer receives +1 PPE. For every 3 tattoos, the bearer receives +1 to Armor and Toughness. However, worn armor interferes with the use of Tattoo Magic, inflicting a 1 point penalty on Tattoo Magic skill rolls per point of armor. Tattoo Magic carries an additional drawback: because it is enchanting, too many tattoos will inhibit the use of other magic. For every power tattoo, or two minor tattoos, any skill dependent upon PPE (spellcasting, mysticism, a techno-wizard’s Weird science) takes a -1. True Atlanteans do not count their Marks of Heritage for this penalty.

Tattooed Warrior Iconic Framework
Tattooed Warriors must be Humans, Ogres, Elves, or True Atlanteans; Chiang-ku Dragons are also capable of learning Tattoo Magic, but have their own approach, different from this Iconic Framework. True Atlantean Tattooed Warriors are frequently known as “Undead Slayers”; humans, ogres, and elves who are Tattooed Warriors are most commonly slaves of the Splugorth.

Tattooed Warrior’s Hero’s Journey
Tattooed Warriors begin with three rolls on the Hero’s Journey tables, chosen from any except Body Armor, Cybernetics, Ranged Weapons, and Underworld & Black Ops.

Tattooed Warrior Abilities and Bonuses
Arcane Background (Tattoo Magic). Tattooed Warriors begin with 10 PPE, and a d8 Tattoo Magic skill. They begin with 4 Minor Tattoos and 4 Power Tattoos. If the “New Power” Edge is acquired, two Minor Tattoos may be taken, or one Power Tattoo.
Trained to War: Tattooed Warriors begin with d8 Fighting and two Combat Edges. They must meet the requirements of any edges they select. They may also activate 1 minor tattoo each round as a free action.
Enhanced Toughness. Tattoo magic enhances the toughness of those who have been subjected to it. For every 3 tattoos, Tattooed Warriors receive +1 Armor and +1 Toughness.
Enhanced Magic. Tattooing imparts a bit of additional PPE reservoir into their skin. For each tattoo, add +1 PPE.
Master of Magic: Tattooed Warriors may use their Power Tattoos as Mega Powers, if they wish.

Tattooed Warrior Complications
Naked and Famous: Physical armor impedes a Tattooed Warrior’s access to his powers. Each point of worn armor imposes an equal penalty on Tattoo Magic rolls.
Tattooed Freak: Tattooed Warriors are very noticeable. For every 2 power tattoos, they receive a -1 modifier to Charisma to those prejudiced against magic, Splugorth/True Atlanteans, or tattoos.
Conditioned: Tattooed Warriors all have a Major personality hindrance stemming from their background. Undead Slayers may suffer from Arrogant, Code of Honor, Heroic, or Vow. Splugorth Tattooed Warriors may suffer from Arrogant, Bloodthirsty, Overconfident, or Vengeful.
Unable to Learn: Tattooed Warriors cannot learn Powers in any normal way; acquiring a Power requires that they visit a Tattoo Master willing and able to provide them the tattoo they wish, take the equivalent of two wounds, and heal from them without magic. Acquiring a Minor Tattoo requires the same, but they only need to heal from one wound. Any powers acquired during character creation are assumed to have been adequately healed. Furthermore, Tattooed Warriors may not possess any other Arcane Background dependent on PPE, though they may use Psionics normally.
Cybernetics: Like other magical disciplines, each point of cybernetic Strain inflicts a 1 point penalty on the Tattoo Magic skill.

True Atlantean Race:
*Magical Folk: +5 PPE (+1)
*Marks of Heritage: Sword. May summon a (medieval era) sword that remains until dismissed. May only summon 1 sword at a time. If the True Atlantean is a Tattooed Warrior, this counts as a bonus Tattoo. The bonus PPE from this Tattoo is already included in the “Magical Folk” trait. (+1)
*Marks of Heritage: Protection from Vampires. A +4 bonus to resist the powers of vampires, and +4 armor from a vampire’s attacks. This tattoo requires no roll or PPE to activate. If the True Atlantean is a Tattooed Warrior, this counts as a bonus Tattoo. The bonus PPE from this Tattoo is already included in the “Magical Folk” trait. (+1)
*Enemies: True Atlanteans are deeply unpopular with many throughout the Megaverse. When recognized as True Atlantean, there is a 50% chance they will receive a -4 Charisma modifier; either due to prejudice against them as D-Bees (among Coalition sympathizers), or as True Atlanteans. (-2)

Ogre Race:

Size (+2): Ogres are simply massive; 8-10 feet tall, which an equal increase in Toughness.
Let’s Get Physical: Ogres begin with a d8 in Strength and Vigor, with a maximum of d12+2 in both traits
Simply Horrible: Ogres suffer from a Bad Reputation; they are known to be cannibals. They are also quite Distinctive (as Distinctive D-Bee), have a Non-Standard Physiology.
Restricted Path: Ogres may not access ISP, or take Iconic Frameworks or Arcane Background dependent on them
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Freemage
Explorer

Re: Tattoo Magic, related Races and Framework

Unread post by Freemage »

Mark Hall wrote:Something I worked up today. Likely needs some adjustment.

True Atlantean Race:
*Magical Folk: +5 PPE (+1)
*Marks of Heritage: Sword. May summon a (medieval era) sword that remains until dismissed. May only summon 1 sword at a time. If the True Atlantean is a Tattooed Warrior, this counts as a bonus Tattoo. The bonus PPE from this Tattoo is already included in the “Magical Folk” trait. (+1)
*Marks of Heritage: Protection from Vampires. A +4 bonus to resist the powers of vampires, and +4 armor from a vampire’s attacks. This tattoo requires no roll or PPE to activate. If the True Atlantean is a Tattooed Warrior, this counts as a bonus Tattoo. The bonus PPE from this Tattoo is already included in the “Magical Folk” trait. (+1)
*Enemies: True Atlanteans are deeply unpopular with many throughout the Megaverse. When recognized as True Atlantean, there is a 50% chance they will receive a -4 Charisma modifier; either due to prejudice against them as D-Bees (among Coalition sympathizers), or as True Atlanteans. (-2)

Ogre Race:

Size (+2): Ogres are simply massive; 8-10 feet tall, which an equal increase in Toughness.
Let’s Get Physical: Ogres begin with a d8 in Strength and Vigor, with a maximum of d12+2 in both traits
Simply Horrible: Ogres suffer from a Bad Reputation; they are known to be cannibals. They are also quite Distinctive (as Distinctive D-Bee), have a Non-Standard Physiology.
Restricted Path: Ogres may not access ISP, or take Iconic Frameworks or Arcane Background dependent on them

Last things first, since the races are fairly easy to quantify:
1: Magical Folk needs to be limited to a specific Arcane Background (presumably Tattoos) if you want it to be a +1 ability (otherwise, it's the Power Points Edge, and is +2).
2: The Protection is twice as powerful as the Champion Edge, but severely limited since it only works against one class of creature. In a campaign where you're mostly dealing with the odd Wild Vampire, it's +1. If you're planning on excursions south of the border, or otherwise dealing with a Master Vampire's plots, then it's +2--but I'd balance it out by saying the character gets Wanted: Minor because in either of those cases, he's being targeted fairly specifically by the Vamps once he's identified.
3: Enemies is a composite of Bad Reputation (x2, but only 50/50 chance) and baseline Obvious D-Bee, so yeah, -2.

So, you may as well make the PPE the Edge, rather than limit it--that makes the race a net of +2 (4 points of advantages, 2 points of disadvantages), which is where you should be aiming for. Oddly, this makes them one of the less severe races in Savage Rifts.

The Ogre, on the other hand...
Size (+2): +2
Let’s Get Physical: Two abilities bumped by two dice: +8
Simply Horrible: -3 for Bad Reputation and Obvious D-Bee
Restricted Path: -1
So that puts you at -4, +10; a +6 race. You can either scale down Vigor and Strength by 1 die-type each, or you can add on some extra drawbacks. If Rifts Ogres are the traditional "dumb as a box of rocks" variety, get -2 from a -1 penalty to Smarts rolls and then an additional -2 from Bloodthirsty (Alternately: -3 from a -2 penalty to Smarts rolls, and -1 from Minor Habit--cannibalism). Either way, this means that Ogres have a total of -4/-8 Charisma, depending on whether or not they're dealing with someone from the CS.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Savage Worlds already has Ogres in the Fantasy Companion, page 141.

I mean I get what you are trying to do, but dont forget that Savage World has fantasy, and other generic setting, companion books that can be used with Savage Rifts, rather than trying to customize everything....
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Library Ogre

13eowulf wrote:Savage Worlds already has Ogres in the Fantasy Companion, page 141.

I mean I get what you are trying to do, but dont forget that Savage World has fantasy, and other generic setting, companion books that can be used with Savage Rifts, rather than trying to customize everything....

Don't have the Fantasy companion. Mostly, I like playing with it.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Freemage
Explorer

By the way: I earlier stated that summoning a normal sword is a 1-point ability. However, having recently cracked open my copy of Atlantis, I see that the sword is supposed to be magical. That's a big difference, and if that's your intent, the ability is probably a +3 or +4 racial ability, with the corresponding need for more drawbacks for the race.
Library Ogre

That's what it is in Atlantis but I didn't feel the need to be bound by that.

All Palladium Articles
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Since T-men and Undead Slayers can eventually use their tattoos through armor, will you be including the ability for experienced tattoo users to do so as well (however that would be achieved mechanically)?
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Library Ogre

dreicunan wrote:Since T-men and Undead Slayers can eventually use their tattoos through armor, will you be including the ability for experienced tattoo users to do so as well (however that would be achieved mechanically)?

I'd make it an Edge that could be taken later, though the fact that Gear Tattoos don't require a roll mitigates this to an extent, early.

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

New Version. Version notes in a separate post, since I've already timed out once while writing them.

Tattoo Magic
Tattoo magic is an ancient form of enchanting, imbuing living flesh with mystic power. Taught by the Chiang-ku to the True Atlanteans in the days of High Atlantis, it’s secrets were wrested by the Splugorth, either from rogue Chiang-ku or during the Atlantean diaspora after the Atlantean Cataclysm. For True Atlanteans, it is part of their culture; all True Atlanteans are tattooed young with the “Marks of Heritage”, including a sword bearing the crest of their Clan, and a mark providing protection against vampires.
Tattoos form two basic types: Minor Tattoos, also called Gear Tattoos by Splugorth Slaves, and Power Tattoos, also called Major Tattoos. Minor Tattoos create relatively simple, mundane objects. Most common are Medieval Weapons, such as swords, clubs, flails, and so on, but can also include medieval armor, ropes, lockpicks, quivers of arrows, or any simple tool with a minimum of moving parts, and nothing which functions due to chemical reactions (so no batteries, bullets, or lighters, for example). Creating such objects requires no roll, but normally requires an action. Each different object requires a separate tattoo, and a single PPE. The object will persist indefinitely while attended to by the Tattooed Warrior, and for a round after they release it.
Power Tattoos are far more flexible, and more closely mimic the Powers of spellcasters, psychics, and other Arcane Backgrounds. A primary difference is range; powers designed to help someone frequently only function on the Tattooed Warrior themselves; functioning beyond the caster requires a different tattoo, and an additional power point. Tattoos are also limited; any choices about the power, save the target, must be made when the tattoos is created; a Boost Strength Tattoo is different than a Boost Spirit Tattoo, and if the Tattooed Warrior is to use it beyond themselves, it will require a separate tattoo, and cost 3 (rather than 2) points to use.
Most users of Tattoo Magics cannot learn powers in any normal way; acquiring a Power requires that they visit a Tattoo Master willing and able to provide them the tattoo they wish. The tattoo takes a number of hours equal to its cost in Power Points to acquire, and major tattoos inflict the equivalent of two wounds, which the subjects must heal from without magic. Acquiring a Minor Tattoo requires the same, but they only need to heal from one wound. Elves are particularly poorly adapted to tattoo magic, and take an additional wound for each tattoo acquired. Any powers acquired during character creation are assumed to have been adequately healed.
All tattoos impart power and endurance to their bearers. For every tattoo, the bearer receives +1 PPE. For every 3 tattoos, the bearer receives +1 to Armor and Toughness. However, worn armor interferes with the use of Tattoo Magic, inflicting a 1 point penalty on Tattoo Magic skill rolls per point of armor. Like other magical disciplines, each point of cybernetic Strain inflicts a 1 point penalty on the Tattoo Magic skill.
Tattoo Magic carries an additional drawback: because it is enchanting, too many tattoos will inhibit the use of other magic. For every power tattoo, or two minor tattoos, any skill dependent upon PPE (spellcasting, mysticism, a techno-wizard’s Weird science) takes a -1. True Atlanteans do not count their Marks of Heritage for this penalty.

Tattooed Warrior Iconic Framework

Tattooed Warriors must be Humans, Ogres, Elves, or True Atlanteans; Chiang-ku Dragons are also capable of learning Tattoo Magic, but have their own approach, different from this Iconic Framework. True Atlantean Tattooed Warriors are frequently known as “Undead Slayers”; humans, ogres, and elves who are Tattooed Warriors are most commonly slaves of the Splugorth.

Tattooed Warrior’s Hero’s Journey
Tattooed Warriors begin with three rolls on the Hero’s Journey tables, chosen from any except Body Armor, Cybernetics, Ranged Weapons, and Underworld & Black Ops.

Tattooed Warrior Abilities and Bonuses

Arcane Background (Tattoo Magic). Tattooed Warriors begin with 10 PPE, and a d8 Tattoo Magic skill. They begin with 4 Minor Tattoos and 4 Power Tattoos. If the “New Power” Edge is acquired, two Minor Tattoos may be taken, or one Power Tattoo.
Trained to War: Tattooed Warriors begin with d8 Fighting and two Combat Edges. They must meet the requirements of any edges they select.
Enhanced Toughness. Tattoo magic enhances the toughness of those who have been subjected to it. For every 2 tattoos, Tattooed Warriors receive +1 Armor and +1 Toughness. This is instead of the bonus every 3 points that normal tattoo users have.
Enhanced Magic. Tattooing imparts a bit of additional PPE reservoir into their skin. For each tattoo, add +1 PPE. The initial PPE allotment includes the PPE bonus from the tattoos they have.
Master of Magic: Tattooed Warriors may use their Power Tattoos as Mega Powers, if they wish. They may also activate 1 minor tattoo each round as a free action.

Tattooed Warrior Complications
Naked and Famous: Physical armor impedes a Tattooed Warrior’s access to his powers. Each point of worn armor imposes an equal penalty on Tattoo Magic rolls.
Tattooed Freak: Tattooed Warriors are very noticeable. For every 2 power tattoos, they receive a -1 modifier to Charisma to those prejudiced against magic, Splugorth/True Atlanteans, or tattoos.
Conditioned: Tattooed Warriors all have a Major personality hindrance stemming from their background. Undead Slayers may suffer from Arrogant, Code of Honor, Heroic, or Vow. Splugorth Tattooed Warriors may suffer from Arrogant, Bloodthirsty, Overconfident, or Vengeful.
Psychic Lock: Tattooed Warriors may not possess any other Arcane Background dependent on PPE. They may use Psionics normally, and True Atlantean Tattooed Warriors may make use of Stone Magic that does not require their own PPE.
Cybernetics: Like other magical disciplines, each point of cybernetic Strain inflicts a 1 point penalty on the Tattoo Magic skill.

New Edges:
Arcane Background: Tattoo Magic
Arcane Skill: Tattoo Magic (Vigor)
Starting Power Points: 5
Starting Powers: 2 Power Tattoos, 4 Minor Tattoos, or 1 Power and 2 Minor Tattoos

Tattoo Magic allows a person to access the magical tattoos inscribed on their skin by a Tattoo Master. Tattoo powers are very regimented, with all decisions about the power determined in advance by the Tattoo Master, and seldom function beyond the subject’s skin. The Starting Power Points for the Arcane Background do NOT include any bonus power points granted by the tattoos themselves.

Tattoo Master
Requirements: Legendary, Arcane Background: Tattoo Magic, Tattoo Magic d12, Knowledge: Arcana d10
A Tattoo Master is the pinnacle of Tattoo Magic; not only are they skilled with the use of tattoos on their own bodies, but they have the ability to create tattoos on other people.

Touchless
Requirements: Veteran, Arcane Background: Tattoo Magic, Tattoo Magic d8
The tattoo user has mastered their tattoo magic to the point where they no longer need to touch their tattoos to use them. They no longer suffer a penalty to their Tattoo Magic skill for wearing armor, and may activate one Minor Tattoo per round as a free action. If they are of the Tattooed Warrior Iconic framework, they may activate one Power Tattoo or one Minor Tattoo each round as a free action.

New Races
True Atlantean Race:
*Arcane Background: Tattoo Magic. All True Atlanteans learn the basics of Tattoo Magic. They begin with a d4 in Tattoo Magic, 5 PPE, and two Power Tattoos; Protection from Vampires (as Warriors Gift, but granting Improved Arcane Resistance against the powers and attacks of Vampires) and Smite, which will also summon a magical sword. If the True Atlantean is a Tattooed Warrior, then they receive Tattoo Magic at d10, and their two tattoos are bonus tattoos. If they have another Arcane Background dependent upon PPE, the PPE from this feature adds to that. This arcane background does not prevent their acquiring additional Arcane Backgrounds, either through their Iconic Framework or selection. (+2)
*All True Atlanteans learn the basics of Stone Magic. While they are not able to learn Stone Magic powers without the Stone Magic Arcane Background, they have a d6 when making use of Stone Magic Devices. (+1)
*Enemies: True Atlanteans are deeply unpopular with many throughout the Megaverse. They receive a -4 to Charisma with Minions of the Splugorth and Vampires, being obdurate foes of both.

Ogre Race:

Let’s Get Physical: Ogres begin with a d6 in Strength and Vigor, with a maximum of d12+1 in both traits
Simply Horrible: Ogres suffer from a Bad Reputation; they are known to be cannibals, slavers, and favored minions of all sorts of evil creatures. They are also quite Distinctive (as Distinctive D-Bee), have a Non-Standard Physiology.

Edited for improved formatting
Last edited by Library Ogre on Tue May 09, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Notes on version 2:
*Per Freemage's suggestion, Ogres are +1 die for Strength and Vigor, instead of +2/+2. I considered making the +2 Strength and no bonus to vigor, with the Toughness bonus from size obviating the need for part of the Toughness bonus, but a Vigor Bonus makes them slightly better at Tattoo Magic. I would like opinions on these two options.
*True Atlanteans are significantly rewritten; they now begin with the Arcane Background of Tattoo Magic, and two power tattoos; Smite (which summons their magic sword) and Protection from Vampires (a variation on Warrior's Gift from SWDE, granting the Improved Arcane Resistance power with regards to Vampires). Normally, a racial Arcane Background would prevent other Arcane Backgrounds, but I waived that restriction, instead giving them two Racial Enemies for their single option. They also get a d6 to use Stone Magic, but don't actually know any powers for it; means I should write up Stone Magic, but c'est la vie.
*Tattoo Magic itself didn't undergo too big of changes; I moved discussion of acquiring tattoos from the Framework to the Magic, and did a couple little tweaks to make the Framework more robust... they are tougher from their tattoos than normal people are from theirs, which I think is fair. I also added a penalty to elves getting tattoos, since that's in the original.

All Palladium Articles
Freemage
Explorer

The Ogres look good. As a soft suggestion, I would say substitute the Mean Hindrance for Bad Reputation; it's more specific, and also means that a player can't try to work around it when dealing with a race unfamiliar with Ogres--they are just naturally unpleasant to deal with, right up front.

Personally, I think the even-handed Strength/Vigor makes sense (if you'd had two more points to play around with, then 2 Str 1 Vigr would be reasonable.)
Library Ogre

Freemage wrote:The Ogres look good. As a soft suggestion, I would say substitute the Mean Hindrance for Bad Reputation; it's more specific, and also means that a player can't try to work around it when dealing with a race unfamiliar with Ogres--they are just naturally unpleasant to deal with, right up front.

Personally, I think the even-handed Strength/Vigor makes sense (if you'd had two more points to play around with, then 2 Str 1 Vigr would be reasonable.)

I try to avoid racial hindrances that dictate personality... not all Ogres are mean, but most people believe Ogres to be mean.

All Palladium Articles

Return to “Savage Rifts™”