What about Cardboard Pawns instead of Minis?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

What about Cardboard Pawns instead of Minis?

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Have you seen the Cardboard Pawns by Paizo?
http://paizo.com/products/btpy8tj5

They are sturdy two sided cardboard pawns with great art. I am not a Pathfinder fan, but I can't knock the quality or price of these figs. It retails for $40 for 300 figs.

I wonder if this would be a better path for the Rifts Boardgame. Minis have proven to be the bugaboo of many Kickstarters, especially for new companies. Also, the cost for small batches of detailed minis is very high, thus making the final product more expensive.

And Palladium certainly has a lots of wonderful artists who could contribute. Also, a full art pawn is ready to go when you open the box vs. minis that would need to be painted.

And there's no reason to make them 1 inch high. They could be really cool large pawns with striking visual detail.

I wonder if Rifts is better served by a $50 boardgame than a $80 game, especially as PB's founding was based on super fun, but cheaper RPGs that appealed to audiences who didn't want to break the bank to have a good time.

If the board game can be successful, then a future Rifts Minis Game would be easier to fund.

...and of course, I am also thinking they could be used for Rifts RPG games too...

Any thoughts?
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: What about Cardboard Pawns instead of Minis?

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

I have the Pathfinder Beginner Box and the included pawns are definitely awesome. Regardless of whether I buy big into more Pathfinder rule books I am definitely buying more sets of the pawns. I think a cheaper pawn based board game is an excellent idea and I would be all over it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I have said for years they should do at least the "paper minis" and they have in the last couple of years with MADMANMIKE doing a number of sets for different Palladium games.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I actually did some a while back just using art in the rifts core book and sb1
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Tokens or standup cutouts might be the best way to start.

Then have the minis as 'upgrade packs' separately. So you can get the game out faster and easier, but people can get minis if they want them
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

glitterboy2098 wrote:Tokens or standup cutouts might be the best way to start.

Then have the minis as 'upgrade packs' separately. So you can get the game out faster and easier, but people can get minis if they want them

It also allows for a wide array of characters.
You can put in "One of each", so for example each class? You can put in a make token and a female token and so on.
But the BIG advantage, in my mind, would be that if the game starts with tokens...
...then people would be used to them right?
So you can then release 'expansions' later (a new class or race or what have you) sell that electronically... and have the download include tokens you can print out your self (ala cardboard heroes)

It feels less 'gimicky' if the core starts with these in it, even as an option.

Just my .02 of course.

And I for one am excited by the idea of having a use for Rifts minis either way :lol:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”