Rule Clarification with Psychic Mediums

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Rule Clarification with Psychic Mediums

Unread post by mrloucifer »

I'd been meaning to get this rule clarified for awhile, but the Psychic Mediums haven't been doing the most damage they could have been (at least in my home games).

As an example, when a Psychic medium strikes a physical supernatural being with a physical object / melee weapon (punch, kick, weapon,etc.) he does damage to the being's S.D.C. (until depleted and then H.P.) AND does 1/2 his Spirit Strike damage directly to its H.P. (if activated).

This makes the Medium more dangerous than he has been in the past, especially once its S.D.C is depleted as damage all goes to hit points.

Note: Not getting past its A.R. still means no physical damage even if he hits, but the Spirit Strike bypasses armor as goes direct to H.P.

To all those playing Psychic Mediums, you're welcome. :)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
gaby
Knight

Re: Rule Clarification with Psychic Mediums

Unread post by gaby »

Good idea.
RainbowDevil
Explorer

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. The Medium doesn't have any extra ability to make physical contact with spirits than anyone else, *unless* Spirit Strike is active. If it is, the damage does direct to HP. So, they normally wouldn't damage the spirit's SDC.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Per page 87 of BTS-2, Spirit Strike does 1/2 damage when used on demons and other supernatural beings in physical form. Spirit Strike does damage direct to hit points. What I had been doing wrong (and I suspect others have as well) is that this is a lot more damaging than people realized.

Example: Bob the 3rd level Medium swings at a demon with his baseball bat (which does 1D8 in canon rules) and currently has his spirit strike activated. He successfully strikes with the he baseball bat and does 1D8 worth of damage to its S.D.C., however his Spirit Strike ALSO does 1/2 of 2D6+3 directly to the Demon's Hit Points! The spirit strike does damage even if/when the bat failed to get past the demon's armor rating. This makes the medium a LOT more dangerous to the supernatural than I'd realized, especially once the demon's SDC is depleted so the 1D8 AND the 1/2 of 2D6+3 are both going direct to Hit Points.

Make sense?
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”