Sir Neil at Newgrange

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sir Neil
Adventurer

Sir Neil at Newgrange

Unread post by Sir Neil »

A transitional place of power, described on page 145 of BtS 1st edition. When planning our trip to Ireland, I knew I had to include it on one of our stops.

"We arrived at the ultramodern visitor center around 0900, bought tickets, and were given color coded stickers to wear that shows the shuttle drivers when and where to take us. Though there wasn't a line, several people had already gotten their tickets and gone downstairs to the gift shop and restaurant. We made the several hundred meter trek to the shuttle stop and hopped onboard."

The tomb is reached by public roads, so it wouldn't be impossible for investigators to reach after hours, but the terrain offers limited concealment. Each plot of land is surrounded by low stone walls or man-high hedges, but within those boundaries the fields are wide open, with grass no more than ankle height. There is a second gatehouse at the hedges around the tomb, with windows in each direction.

"The entrance to the tomb was blocked by a large stone. The stone has several spirals, and chevrons running along the bottom. The guide believed that the spirals represent the tombs in the area, and the chevrons represent the river. Entry to the tomb is possible using metal stairs installed over the stone wall. The entrance hall is so low that I at 6'2" had to walk bent over double, and my 5'4" wife had to duck most of the way. The main chamber is fairly tall, but if the fifteen of us wanted to fight we'd have to use knives. The three "smaller" chambers are about twice the size of a closet. The chamber is marred by graffiti from the 1800's, but also has art carved by the original builders, including a very realistic wheat stalk among the usual spirals and diamonds. The mood in the room was somber and reverent, like a funeral parlor. The guide turned out the lights and activated the special lamp, to give us an idea what the chamber looked like on the solstice: a hand-wide ray of gold streaking westward. Before she had a chance to explain her theories in detail, the next group was outside and our visit had to be cut short."

It seems likely that the nearby tombs Knowth and Dowth were linked to it in an artificial nexus, as Lazlo believes of Maes Howe. I see several difficulties in reactivating it in modern times. First, the tombs themselves are in disrepair. Newgrange has a shattered west basin stone, Knowth has a concrete wall built up over the entrance, and Dowth seems to have been boarded up with iron. If that doesn't disrupt the circuit, there is a second challenge to overcome. The magic is strongest on the five days of the winter solstice, but that is when tourism really hits. Last year they raffled off 50 tickets (10 per day) for those mornings. There were 30,000 entries. Ultimately it could be done, if the characters had enough influence with the relevant politicians and archaeologists, but not quickly or easily.
As seen in Rifter 20
Called "disturbing" by Therumancer.
Was informed that "Recommending the destruction of a third of the nation is not appropriate."
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Sir Neil at Newgrange

Unread post by Jefffar »

Sound like a good trip and a source for some interesting adventures.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”