The 4 Nega-Psychics

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

The 4 Nega-Psychics

Unread post by Tor »

Referring to:
    1st ed pages 59-60
    Rifts Conversion Book page 37 (can't seem to find in Revised/Updated) a boosted 1st Edition with temporary powers
    (Rifts World Book 12) Psyscape pages 57-59
    2nd ed pages 58-63

All have pretty interesting takes on the Nega-Psychic, and in spite of the shared name they're all pretty unique.

Thought it would be interesting to discuss aspects and differences of this.

Like for example, in 1st edition you had PPE that was spent against spells involuntarily. In Rifts, you had to volunteer it, and involuntary anti-magic abilities were instead the realm of the Psi-Nullifier.

2nd edition maintains the involuntary aspect of the 1st edition, however it appears to take a page out of the Psi-Nullifier because now they are also able to disrupt ISP and psionics, something they couldn't do in 1st ed or Psyscape.

The Conversion Book version was pretty cool because they actually gained abilities emulating magic spells, in addition to some psionics. They were assigned an ISP amount to use the psi, and I figure the magic spells had to be fueled by PPE (if they could use them at will it'd be sorta broken).

Going back to the interesting 1st edition version though, I got confused about something....

All bonuses are limited to a maximum total of +6. Does that mean buying the Permanent Mind Block doesn't affect this since it's an ability and not a bonus?

I didn't quite get why the cost to buy a HF save was so high. Maybe I'm just thinking in multi-class terms but it seems like resistance to horror factor is way easier to acquire than a resistance to psionics or possession. If anything I'd say HF should be 1 PPE each, magic 2 PPE each, possession 3 PPE each and psi 4 PPE each. That's just in relation to rarity I've observed in other OCCs though.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”