How to handle ISP bursts

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dlanaan
D-Bee

How to handle ISP bursts

Unread post by Dlanaan »

As well known, when characters get closer to supernatural creatures or situations, their ISP multiplies. How do you typically handle this when you are trying to keep the fact that the supernatural is not involved? (e.g., the investigation is a dead end, there is no supernatural influence, they are facing mutants/government experiments/etc.) Or what if it is, but the creature is hidden (e.g., a dar'ota in seductive form)? Do you tell characters: You are now at x2, x4, etc.?

My solution thus far has been to handle the ISP myself. Characters don't know their ISP totals at any point. The only clue they have that they are not dealing with something supernatural is when they try to use a high-cost ability and they can't. This leads to other problems, though, as the physical psychic may, for example, use dessication touch as a supernatural detector. If it works, great. If it doesn't because of lack of ISP, then not dealing with supernatural. Any suggestions for how to deal with this (other than the fact that if they do use dessication touch as an opener, they are typically drained for a while)?
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Re: How to handle ISP bursts

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Dlanaan wrote: How do you typically handle this when you are trying to keep the fact that the supernatural is not involved? (e.g., the investigation is a dead end, there is no supernatural influence, they are facing mutants/government experiments/etc.)

-This is discussed on page 31 of the book under "Facing the Ordinary"

Dlanaan wrote:Or what if it is, but the creature is hidden (e.g., a dar'ota in seductive form)? Do you tell characters: You are now at x2, x4, etc.?

-I talk about this on the House of BTS, but I'll say here that I treat disguised supernatural menaces (and Dar' ota's were my example) as hiding/suppressing their supernatural energy as well. If they stay within normal human levels they dont set off power boosts. But if they sudden use their supernatural P.S. or a psychic ability, then they would trigger one (even if only briefly).

Dlanaan wrote:My solution thus far has been to handle the ISP myself. Characters don't know their ISP totals at any point. The only clue they have that they are not dealing with something supernatural is when they try to use a high-cost ability and they can't. This leads to other problems, though, as the physical psychic may, for example, use dessication touch as a supernatural detector. If it works, great. If it doesn't because of lack of ISP, then not dealing with supernatural. Any suggestions for how to deal with this (other than the fact that if they do use dessication touch as an opener, they are typically drained for a while)?

-I always tell the psychics what level their ISP is currently at. Doing the work for the palyers sounds like a lot of micro managing and needless work on the GM's part (and your busy enough as it is). ISP Power boosts dont always mean the supernatural is an imminent threat and can be a red herring or send conflicting messages and the like.

Its easy to have a x2 Investigative factor almost anywhere as the supernatural is a constant threat in the world of BTS. But this doesn't mean that its "currently present", but it might have been as some point. This can mean minor supernatural creatures are in the area (and might not be involved in what the characters are investigating) or even higher level creatures, but unless they become a direct threat to the PC's, I dont raise the level (with exceptions of course). A past home game example of mine:

-The group was investigating a home that set off a x2 level and at times x4, but they could never determine the source (and lacked a Diviner or a Sensitive to pinpoint it easier). Come to find out it was the neighbors house was where the haunting was taking place, but the family was too embarrassed and afraid to ask for help. But the random floating poltergeists that come with a haunting floated through the house the PC's were investigating at times, and this triggered the fluctuations (and explained the moving objects and sounds the home owners were experiencing).

-Even when the supernatural is involved and close by, it doesn't have to trigger a higher boost unless the PC's are in imminent danger (ambushing the PC's, attack from the shadows, etc.) If the PC's spot the supernatural, I usually throw them a bone and raise the level when they see the supernatural threat directly, regardless of proximity.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

I do it very similarly. In any case, it is always a good idea to take Magister Steven's advise!

Here is how I approach the issue:

ISP/PPE MULTIPLIER: PLAYER-INFORMATION AND CHARACTER PERCEPTION OF STRENGTHENED ISP/PPE RESERVOIR

The ISP rules in BtS-II are good, I like them well, but they are not clear in all their aspects. The following is a clarifier on how the ISP-Multiplier works, especially with regard to (i) what information it conveys to the characters, (ii) when it kicks in and (iii) how it is dealt with technically. [When I talk about “ISP” this shall mean ISP and PPE (as the multiplier rules are the same).]

Suspense is key to the game! The character perception of the event of actual ISP multiplication must not invalidate psychic powers of PCCs or monsters.
When investigating the supernatural you will not know immediately whether the thing you are investigating is real or a hoax. That would feel wrong – and would actually make some of the psychic powers useless. The ISP-Multiplier is NOT a free sense supernatural ability or reliable danger sense. Just because your ISP may rocket does not mean that you are in the presence of the supernatural. This would feel terribly wrong for game purposes and would invalidate, for example, (a) the sense supernatural ability of the Diviner P.C.C. and (b) make metamorphosis abilities of some supernatural monsters completely superfluous.

The ISP rush is like an adrenaline rush. It gives you no information but a psychic-adrenaline kick and a general eerie feeling.
You will know when it hits you. What you can describe is something like this: Your heart beats stronger, you break out into a sweat, you have goosebumps, an eerie feeling, etc. You just do not know by how much. The rush is pure instinct, pure bodily function, NOT reason or conscious perception.

In order to diffuse any "detecting power" that the rush might have, I give a low multiplier also in non-supernaturally induced danger situations. It keeps the players on their toes. (Incidentally, this is also within the rules. As stated on page 30 BtS-II core rules the ISP multiplier kicks in in the presence of serious danger, not just when facing magic or the supernatural. Awesome rules.)

Just by virtue of the ISP-rush you will NOT know where exactly the supernatural source or creature is, how strong it is, what kind of creature it is, etc. It will "just" be an eerie feeling accompanying or following the rush. Of course, if a vampire rips out your throat the question is quite moot whether or not you perceive that ISP-rush as well (which you WILL have big time at that moment, though). However, some situations may not be so overt, e.g. you may just be near enough an extremely strong evil entity – maybe there is an incredibly powerful mummy sorcerer awaking in that pyramid you pass by – you will only know that you are in the presence of something supernatural. You will then need to use your brains and psychic powers to find out more.

How to handle the multiplier?
The GM may not want to disclose the ISP multiplier itself. I find that a wee bit mundane. It may rob the game of a good part of the horror of the unknown by allowing for categorizing the supernatural, but that may mean that you as the GM have to micromanage the ISP/PPE reservoirs (I do), i.e. do the ISP/PPE tallies yourself.

Examples and Situations of ISP/PPE Multiplication
Not any treasure hunt or research on the supernatural will give you an ISP rush – at least not all the time, not everywhere. You do not want your players to become too acquainted with, numbed to, the supernatural. Fighting to stay heroically cool in the face of the supernatural is great, but inspiring and retaining a sense dread is essential to the game.

- If you sit in a library, which may be a very important and exciting part of your adventure, you will not have an ISP rush (unless, of course, you would read a book like the Necronomicon).
    - When you are on the prowl – that is when actively tracking/hunting the supernatural but not yet (or again) actually battling or coming into direct psychic contact with it or its minions – depending on the concrete situation you will be adrenaline-rushed anyway. Consequently, you will not feel the extra ISP-rush, but you will likely have it at about x2.
    - When you are just talking to a monster in disguise, there will be no increase, but once it reveals itself or you engage it in battle, you will feel a sudden rush of psychic energy. The same effect happens when there is any psychic interaction with a supernatural being, such as communing with or banishing spirits, telepathic contact, empathy, if you palm-read a demon you will get that surge, too, etc.
    - As magic is also supernatural, spells cast against or effecting you will have the same effect, i.e. you might not know that a spell has been cast (unless it has an obvious effect, you witnessed a ritual, etc.) but you will feel the ISP-rush and may deduce from that that you are in the presence of something supernatural. Lingering spell effects in a given area or cast at others may have the same effect [GM decision, as always]. Remember, the eerie sense of foreboding, inspiring dread, not scientifically crystal clear information is key.
    - ISP also increase when a psychic is near a very strong source of the supernatural, but your knowledge may not be specific. Such sources may be an item, such as a relic in the quality of the Ark of the Covenant or the Spear of Longinus, or an extremely strong creature, such as an evil intelligence or a strong demon.

OPTIONAL RULE: Retro-Scaling ISP/PPE-Multipliers
Now, for some further thoughts. I have been thinking what happens to those experienced hunters of the supernatural. Are they more calloused to the supernatural? Are they less afraid? Take an old hand ghost hunter as an example: Josua di Marco has fought zombies now for 20 years. He knows everything about them. He, in fact, moves through a horde of them quite unfazed as he has learnt how to not draw them and how to "camouflage". He would be careful, sure, but would di Marco be as afraid of them? Would seeing them still quicken his pulse as much as when he encountered them the first them? Probably not but for special high pressure low control situations. The 3rd and 4th season of The Walking Dead have some great examples for how this looks like, and what (dire) consequences this may have. What, if any, should be the rule consequences? The following is a possible approach:

The ISP multiplier achieves many things.
    (i) It inspires a sense of foreboding, it is like the drum beat to the rhythm of approaching or present horror.
    (ii) It also explains elegantly why people with magic or psi cannot use their abilities at any time and, hence, why the world has not yet realized the presence of the supernatural.
    (iii) It further gives the players a fighting chance against the supernatural. The stronger it is, the better your abilities work.

Now, being more experienced gives you better knowledge of how to combat all kinds of the supernatural, but at the same time you are more calloused. You are tougher and more unfazed. It follows that you should have boni to HF saves - the better you know a creature or phenomenon, the higher your save for that creature, etc. At the same time, your ISP/PPE multiplies is decreased [GM discretion] by one or more steps. This would have the nice effect that "low level" creatures would stay interesting, further helping to retain the sense of dread. Note, however, high pressure situations would increase the multiplier again. No one stays calm when being buried under a mass of zombies is imminent.

I hope this is useful to y'all.

Cheers,
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I agree with everything MrLoucifer and Henrick have said. Especially the part that the ISP boost doesn't kick in immediately, only when something goes from being calm and collected to dangerous. As mentioned above, let the players know what the multiplier is, this could give that extra bit of scare.
Dlanaan
D-Bee

Unread post by Dlanaan »

Thanks all,

I will see how to go about working in these suggestions. I think adding the 'adrenaline surge' as a known aspect may enhance some parts of our game.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”