Sell Me on BtS!

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Sell Me on BtS!

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

I got into Palladium Books with the original edition of Palladium Fantasy. I also bought the original Robotech, RIFTS, Heroes Unlimited, and Chaos Earth over the years. The only horror game I've played is the Night Life game. So, fans of BtS, why should I be playing it?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Sell Me on BtS!

Unread post by jaymz »

I wish i honestly could sell you on this...........but it is essentially dead with the BtS 2nd ed left waning due to the nonsupport it got after it's release. For it to work you'd have to rework magic from one of the other games (HU might be a god fit but it would need reworking) as there is no magic in BtS2. You'd also have to mine other games for monsters etc too as there are also none for BtS2.

If you can get a copy of the original BtS then you'd be better off to some degree.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Oh wow! I had no idea. :-( That's no good.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I know and believe me I'd rather be able to sell you on it than not.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:I know and believe me I'd rather be able to sell you on it than not.

Okay, one more question. People seem to rave about the Magic from Nightbane. Will that work? Again, no experience with that game line either...lol.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

It can work and a lot of people house rule it in.

If you want a quick and dirty conversion, divide base P.P.E. of casters by 10. Then apply the multipliers the same way as you do for psychics and ISP.

One thing I do is take the Arcanist PCC abilities and powers and apply it to any occupation as given in BtS2. I generally provide the same base PPE as the nega-psychic gets and advance it similarly. I also apply the multipliers to this base the same as with psychics and ISP.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Interesting mods there cyber :ok:

\m/
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Thanks though I think it's just a logical extension of how BtS2 works compared to the rest of the Megaverse. And I sort of hope that if/when Arcanum comes out, that belief if borne out.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Why play it?

It is the most versatile horror game out there. I have played in the 1930s, 2nd world war, Age or Rapiers, and modern days. My games have been Cthuluhoid, classical horror, ghost stories, MIB, etc. etc. All that from one book. I think it is the best buy for a horror game you can get.

Downside? Yes. The support for the game line (aside from Rifter articles) has been bad. I have not lost hope yet. I know that Mrloucifer of this board is very active writing and that Kevin loves BtS. I am sure something will come out Palladium-soon (2014 or 2015).

BtS is not dead.

You can play it perfectly as it is.

The only thing it is lacking is rules on magic. BtS-I rules on that (which is a cheap drivethru purchase) can be used and so can PFRPG or Nightbane magic rules. All that is a little to some more (depending on what you want to do) adaption, but easy for someone who knows the "megaversial system".

I play almost without magic and when I use magic I do as suggested above. The BtS-I spells can be uses 1:1 and so can other SDC system spells. A horror game can benefit from magic but it is hardly necessary. Besides, the game has the psi rules, and aside from a philosophical difference: psi is pretty magical.

My adventures and campaigns work great.

Check out the artwork of Brandon C. Clark on the net.

For excellent support and great ideas, NPCs, monsters, etc. etc. check out the webside of mrloucifer: [b]The House of BtS[/b]. It rocks!
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I agree with Hendrik, the game is basically complete as is, it's just that people are so used to having a Palladium system that has both magic and psionics in it that BTS2 is interpreted as incomplete. I've never had a problem with the psionics only avenue of the core book. Magic would be neat, don't get me wrong there, but the game can be played as is.
Rimdall
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Rimdall »

Hendrik wrote:Why play it?

It is the most versatile horror game out there. I have played in the 1930s, 2nd world war, Age or Rapiers, and modern days. My games have been Cthuluhoid, classical horror, ghost stories, MIB, etc. etc. All that from one book. I think it is the best buy for a horror game you can get.

Downside? Yes. The support for the game line (aside from Rifter articles) has been bad. I have not lost hope yet. I know that Mrloucifer of this board is very active writing and that Kevin loves BtS. I am sure something will come out Palladium-soon (2014 or 2015).

BtS is not dead.

The only thing it is lacking is rules on magic. BtS-I rules on that (which is a cheap drivethru purchase) can be used and so can PFRPG or Nightbane magic rules. All that is a little to some more (depending on what you want to do) adaption, but easy for someone who knows the "megaversial system".

I play almost without magic and when I use magic I do as suggested above. The BtS-I spells can be uses 1:1 and so can other SDC system spells. A horror game can benefit from magic but it is hardly necessary. Besides, the game has the psi rules, and aside from a philosophical difference: psi is pretty magical.

For excellent support and great ideas, NPCs, monsters, etc. etc. check out the webside of mrloucifer: The House of BtS. It rocks!

Let me second what Hendrik states here. I've been running BtS games at Gen Con for the past few years and haven't had any problems or complaints. In addition to the settings Hendrick mentions, I've had a few games set in the old west. There is literally no limit to when and where you set a game.

As far as magic goes, the modern setting for BtS is more or less the 'real' world and I'd say there are more reports of psychics and psychic events than there are reports of magic, at least as far as I can see. I think in game magic should be the same way: extremely rare and most likely possessed by the villains than the heroes. I think in all my games that I've had just one (formerly) human using magic and I have to say that the unexpected encountering of magic led to fun all around the table.

Hendrik - I think we have rooms reserved for us at the House of BtS and I'd love to pick your brain sometime - I'm working on a WWII BtS game for Gen Con this year.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Rimdall wrote:Hendrik - I think we have rooms reserved for us at the House of BtS ...

I think so, Rimdall. I understand the House of BtS is famous for its hospitality and arcane library :-D

Rimdall wrote:... I'd love to pick your brain sometime - I'm working on a WWII BtS game for Gen Con this year.

Anytime, Rimdall, anytime.

Steven might have told you that I love playing BtS in various other times rather than modern. BtS is so versatile, it is unbelievable. I did a WWII adventure for the last open house (Operation Minotaur), which still waits for me to finish its write-up for the Rifter.

Kindest regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

Rimdall
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Rimdall »

Hendrik wrote:
Rimdall wrote:Hendrik - I think we have rooms reserved for us at the House of BtS ...

I think so, Rimdall. I understand the House of BtS is famous for its hospitality and arcane library :-D

And decor - as long as you're a fan of cobwebs...

Rimdall wrote:... I'd love to pick your brain sometime - I'm working on a WWII BtS game for Gen Con this year.

Anytime, Rimdall, anytime.

Steven might have told you that I love playing BtS in various other times rather than modern. BtS is so versatile, it is unbelievable. I did a WWII adventure for the last open house (Operation Minotaur), which still waits for me to finish its write-up for the Rifter.

I remember; I wanted to play in your games, but it seemed I was always running at the same time. Thanks; I'll try to get my questions organized and PM you.

Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Remind me, does BTS2 (the core book) actually have information on ley lines and nexus points?
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Hendrik, Rimdall... First off thanks for the shout out to the House of BTS!

Second, there are always rooms reserved for the both of you at the house. Getting in is easy... getting out again alive with your sanity intact is the real trick.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Eashamahel wrote:Remind me, does BTS2 (the core book) actually have information on ley lines and nexus points?

There is info concerning Psychic I.S.P. boosting at ley lines on page 169.
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

mrloucifer wrote:Hendrik, Rimdall... First off thanks for the shout out to the House of BTS!

Second, there are always rooms reserved for the both of you at the house. Getting in is easy... getting out again alive with your sanity intact is the real trick.

My room in the house is fairly cozy. The former occupants of the room only bother me when I try to sleep. :P
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Hendrik wrote:Why play it?

BtS is not dead.

For excellent support and great ideas, NPCs, monsters, etc. etc. check out the webside of mrloucifer: [b]The House of BtS[/b]. It rocks!

That specific post plus a few others actually paints quite a different picture of BtS for me. WOW! Those art and House of BtS links both look very awesome!
mrloucifer

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:That specific post plus a few others actually paints quite a different picture of BtS for me. WOW! Those art and House of BtS links both look very awesome!

Thank you SRG! We've really been trying to work some magic for BTS, Brandon and I.

P.S. I'd appreciate a mention of the House on your blogspot... trying to get the word out where I can. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

I am very happy that you like the links, SRG.

When you had a look at BtS-I or just want to have a magician class, there has been a lot of dicussion on this very forum here about how to do that with wide-ranging results, but I am sure you would find what suits you best. The search function and the term "arcanist" will be your friend.

I have adaptapted the BtS-I Arcanist to 2nd edition. You would need BtS-I as well to use it, but then you are a-go. Here is the link to the final version (you will have to scroll to the bottom of the page and then some 3 posts up: Arcanist OCC (link).

auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Hendrik wrote:I am very happy that you like the links, SRG.

When you had a look at BtS-I or just want to have a magician class, there has been a lot of dicussion on this very forum here about how to do that with wide-ranging results, but I am sure you would find what suits you best. The search function and the term "arcanist" will be your friend.

I have adaptapted the BtS-I Arcanist to 2nd edition. You would need BtS-I as well to use it, but then you are a-go. Here is the link to the final version (you will have to scroll to the bottom of the page and then some 3 posts up: Arcanist OCC (link).

There have been many attempts on these forums to convert magic into BTS-2 use. I personally don't think the game absolutely NEEDS it, but my opinion isn't shared by most on here. I agree it would be neat to see how it works, but the game can be played find without it.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

mrloucifer wrote:
Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:That specific post plus a few others actually paints quite a different picture of BtS for me. WOW! Those art and House of BtS links both look very awesome!

Thank you SRG! We've really been trying to work some magic for BTS, Brandon and I.

P.S. I'd appreciate a mention of the House on your blogspot... trying to get the word out where I can. :)

No problem. I can do that. 8)

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”