houseofbts.net

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Re: houseofbts.net

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Funny you should say that... a special dinner guest is coming to the House for Thanksgiving, and he's ready to carve!

"The Chopper" is available through Thanksgiving, so grab his character sheet (in the news section) while you can.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

The Chopper is Great,but I was hoping for Adventure idea with Vampires.
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

An adventure with Vampires you say? Hmm... Vampires make good villains for about any situation, so this shouldn't be hard. I'll see what I can do. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well Rifts made two books on Vampires and Rifter revisited Vampires in issue 49.
I like to known how you Balance that in BtS? What powers do you pic?
Unlike the majorty of monsters,you can talk and interact with them.
Maybe make a recring bad guy Npc,s for the PGs.
Good for two or three stories.
mrloucifer

Thus far I've used the vamps in the Nightbane books in my BTS game, but then I also used one of the new ones from said rifter issue, but I dont recall which one.
–H.P. Lovecraft

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Good to known,I hope to see the Update,before the New Year.
mrloucifer

gaby wrote:Good to known,I hope to see the Update,before the New Year.

I'll try to get one in by New Year's for you.

In the meantime, I've updated the Player Tips section with new information, while improving and updating the rest of the info.
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

J.L. Duncan wrote:Saw all the updates....

Thank you-for thanking me... Master- :twisted:

And thank you for adding your scribes to the site. The site is only as good as its materials. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

Wōdwulf Seaxaning
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wōdwulf Seaxaning »

Mrloucifer are you going to add Sleepy Hollow to the TV Inspiration section? You should as it is a great show.
Better Dead than Red!
F**k AntiFa! F**k Nazis! F**k Communists!
mrloucifer

Lucifer_Drake wrote:Mrloucifer are you going to add Sleepy Hollow to the TV Inspiration section? You should as it is a great show.

You are correct, and yes I will add it the next time I get to that section of the website (which should be soon). I'd also like to add the new Dracula TV show as its pretty good BtS inspirational material as well.
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

Palladium Books cover artist John Zeleznik has graciously sent a Christmas present to all the guests of the House; a large image of the BTS-2nd edition book cover! This version is less washed out than the image were familiar with, and it looks fantastic!
The cover is large enough to be used as a desktop wallpaper if so desired.
So head on over to the home page to download it!
–H.P. Lovecraft

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

So What are the Plans for houseofbts in 2014?
Maybe you can give us a Clue?
mrloucifer

gaby wrote:So What are the Plans for houseofbts in 2014?

Hmm...
-I've been slowly revamping the inspirations page.
-I've been updating the pregenerated characters with Brandon C. Clark's illustrations as he turns them in (and touch up the older characters sheets while I'm at it).
-Ive been sitting on the illustration of Catherine Smythe (Dr. Smythe's Wife) for sometime as I've not gotten around to creating her sheet and info, but I plan to get to it soon.
-More adventure ideas as I have them (or writers send them to me).
-More artwork will be added.
-I plan to get into more rule expansions to help with certain type of scenarios (I'm a fan of using terrain/location/situations but I dont like doing them unless I've got a plan of how to use them rules/action wise).
-Maybe a new supernatural monster or two.
-Possibly more, including revamp the entire site as its gotten bigger than the current navigation setup allows.

It depends on the time I have, and what I want to add and what I want to keep for the upcoming sourcebooks.
–H.P. Lovecraft

auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

gaby wrote:So What are the Plans for houseofbts in 2014?

The great thing about the house is that it is a place for fans to put forth their ideas. So why don't you try adding to it with your own creations? It's a great place for new writers to try their hand at putting new stuff forward. Go ahead and give your writing hand a shot ;)
mrloucifer

Its been a slow process, but I've finally revamped the inspirations page of the House. So if your needing some BTS inspiration to plan your next adventure, give this page a go!
–H.P. Lovecraft

auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

mrloucifer wrote:Its been a slow process, but I've finally revamped the inspirations page of the House. So if your needing some BTS inspiration to plan your next adventure, give this page a go!

Inspirational as usual!
mrloucifer

The "Semi-Retired Gamer" is a blog featuring the game related ramblings and ideas of a role-player of over 30 years.
And I'm proud to say that he reviewed the House of BTS on his blog this morning!

So check it out; tell him the Host sent you.

http://semiretiredgamer.blogspot.com/20 ... f-bts.html
–H.P. Lovecraft

Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

mrloucifer wrote:The "Semi-Retired Gamer" is a blog featuring the game related ramblings and ideas of a role-player of over 30 years.
And I'm proud to say that he reviewed the House of BTS on his blog this morning!

So check it out; tell him the Host sent you.

http://semiretiredgamer.blogspot.com/20 ... f-bts.html

Thanks for plugging my blog! I meant to say that sooner but I got tied up & then it slipped my mind - d'oh! I failed to find BtS on my last trip to the FLGS but I did get Dead Reign. Looks like there's still some useful stuff at the house for it too. 8) I'll probably just order BtS when I get my quarterly bonus in a few weeks....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Dead Reign started out as a sourcebook kind of thing for BtS. In any case it is based on BtS and compatible. You can use the occupations, for example, and there are some there that BtS does not have. Vice versa, when I have zombies in BtS I use the Dead Reign ones. That said, I bought Dead Reign as an add on for BtS, but it is a great game on its own right, really ;-)
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Hendrik wrote:Dead Reign started out as a sourcebook kind of thing for BtS. In any case it is based on BtS and compatible. You can use the occupations, for example, and there are some there that BtS does not have. Vice versa, when I have zombies in BtS I use the Dead Reign ones. That said, I bought Dead Reign as an add on for BtS, but it is a great game on its own right, really ;-)

Thanks for the great info! I suspect that I wil be picking up BtS very soon...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

My guess is you will love it. As you might have guessed, I do :-)

The neatest thing about BtS for me is this: the character classes seem a bit strange at first, many of the class names do not intuitively convey wth they can do, BUT ... when I read through them I have an itch to play each and everyone of them. I know many systems and there is something to love about most games, Palladium or not, even 4th edition (A)D&D I guess, but I know only one game where EVERY class gives me so many ideas. Yet, that is not all. Next you combine the classes (psychic abilities mostly, like the P.C.C. Ghost Hunter or Latent Psychic, but not to forget the non-psychic "ordinary person" on which Dead Reign expands mainly) with the occupations (everyday jobs, like police officer, firefighter, antiquities seller, etc. etc.) and - voìla - a plethora of combinations that basically translate into out of the box background stories is right there.

I recently made characters for my Wednesday group that wants to give BtS a shot. I have, and they all just rolled them up like that:
    - FBI Special Agent, Diviner PCC
    - Academic/Archaeologist, Ghost Hunter
    - Academic/Physicist, Latent Psychic

Just like with my main BtS campaign it will play in the 1930s again, summer of 1932, USA, east coast, New England States to be precise. This will be epic! ... :-) ... Well, I will give it my best shot but I am stoked.

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Hendrik wrote:My guess is you will love it. As you might have guessed, I do :-)

The neatest thing about BtS for me is this: the character classes seem a bit strange at first, many of the class names do not intuitively convey wth they can do, BUT ... when I read through them I have an itch to play each and everyone of them. I know many systems and there is something to love about most games, Palladium or not, even 4th edition (A)D&D I guess, but I know only one game where EVERY class gives me so many ideas. Yet, that is not all. Next you combine the classes (psychic abilities mostly, like the P.C.C. Ghost Hunter or Latent Psychic, but not to forget the non-psychic "ordinary person" on which Dead Reign expands mainly) with the occupations (everyday jobs, like police officer, firefighter, antiquities seller, etc. etc.) and - voìla - a plethora of combinations that basically translate into out of the box background stories is right there.

I recently made characters for my Wednesday group that wants to give BtS a shot. I have, and they all just rolled them up like that:
    - FBI Special Agent, Diviner PCC
    - Academic/Archaeologist, Ghost Hunter
    - Academic/Physicist, Latent Psychic

Just like with my main BtS campaign it will play in the 1930s again, summer of 1932, USA, east coast, New England States to be precise. This will be epic! ... :-) ... Well, I will give it my best shot but I am stoked.

Cheers
Hendrik

Intriguing thoughts! I would have picked up BtS today if I was not on a Dead Reign kick at the moment; I got sourcebook 1 and 2.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Great,any chance you make New Monsters?
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Maybe a WereWolf verson of the Vampire Intelligence.
The peson who make the Deal The Alpha,the people he Bites and under his control the Betas,The Freewill Omega.
Each type will have ther own powers and limiteds.
What do you think?
mrloucifer

Someday I would like to take a look at something like an "Ancient Werewolf" or "Pure Werewolf" type of creature, but I can say that they will not act like an intelligence. They will be have a pack leader mentality and packs will follow his lead. In my mind however, they are more primal, more ferocious, and more dangerous than their "lesser cousins".
–H.P. Lovecraft

Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

mrloucifer wrote:Someday I would like to take a look at something like an "Ancient Werewolf" or "Pure Werewolf" type of creature, but I can say that they will not act like an intelligence. They will be have a pack leader mentality and packs will follow his lead. In my mind however, they are more primal, more ferocious, and more dangerous than their "lesser cousins".

If you're playing in my werewolf hunt game, don't open the spoiler.

Spoiler:
I'm running a game where the players are government agents and they may soon be facing something similar to this. At least so far as it being an "Ancient Werewolf". This one isn't a pack leader though and I wouldn't call it "Pure" either. But yeah, definitely more primal, more ferocious and more dangerous then its cousins. I can't say too much more than that because all of them are members of this forum.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
mrloucifer

Nice!
–H.P. Lovecraft

auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Cybermancer wrote:
mrloucifer wrote:Someday I would like to take a look at something like an "Ancient Werewolf" or "Pure Werewolf" type of creature, but I can say that they will not act like an intelligence. They will be have a pack leader mentality and packs will follow his lead. In my mind however, they are more primal, more ferocious, and more dangerous than their "lesser cousins".

If you're playing in my werewolf hunt game, don't open the spoiler.

Spoiler:
I'm running a game where the players are government agents and they may soon be facing something similar to this. At least so far as it being an "Ancient Werewolf". This one isn't a pack leader though and I wouldn't call it "Pure" either. But yeah, definitely more primal, more ferocious and more dangerous then its cousins. I can't say too much more than that because all of them are members of this forum.

Sounds good! Are you basing the werewolves like WOD ones with tribes and the like or more Underworld type? Or maybe even something unique?

Note: I understand if you don't want to give too many details, but once you get done that part of your campaign I'd love to hear more!
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

auyl wrote:Sounds good! Are you basing the werewolves like WOD ones with tribes and the like or more Underworld type? Or maybe even something unique?

Note: I understand if you don't want to give too many details, but once you get done that part of your campaign I'd love to hear more!

I don't really know anything at about WOD. Never got into it. Underworld works well as a movie series but I'm not trying to emulate it.

Players, please do not read the spoiler tag, even if you already suspect the contents.

Spoiler:
I am using some select material from Rifter #4 and #5, Tribes of the Moon. I'm also ignoring about half of it. I like the idea of large organizations of were-creatures in the modern world. I reject the origin story given wholesale as both incompatible with real world evolution and with the creation origin story it was cribbed from. The origin story as myth would have been acceptable except that the author inserted a surviving witness to it all.

Still, even after firing the origin story out of a cannon, I still feel there's parts that can be salvaged. Basically there are going to be multiple sides to this conflict. There are going to be multiple werebeast tribes, all with their own motivations and some are going to be in conflict with each other. There is also going to be a group of vigilante hunters warring on all the tribes. The players represent the legitimate government looking into the situation. There is also going to be an illegal shadow government agency. Throw in individuals from the Lazlo Society and it becomes a very complicated hornets nest that feels like Ninja's and Superspies with BtS characters and supernatural monsters.

The primal were-wolf I designed is a pre-historic human (still homo-sapiens) who was bit by a were-dire wolf. Even before being bit he was a human hero and effectively immortal. He has survived into modern times and mastered his curse, exceeding modern were-wolves in power by a significant marigin. As the truth gets out about him, a number of factions are going to want to deal with him in different ways.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Cybermancer wrote:
auyl wrote:Sounds good! Are you basing the werewolves like WOD ones with tribes and the like or more Underworld type? Or maybe even something unique?

I don't really know anything at about WOD. Never got into it. Underworld works well as a movie series but I'm not trying to emulate it.

Players, please do not read the spoiler tag, even if you already suspect the contents.

Spoiler:
I am using some select material from Rifter #4 and #5, Tribes of the Moon. I'm also ignoring about half of it. I like the idea of large organizations of were-creatures in the modern world. I reject the origin story given wholesale as both incompatible with real world evolution and with the creation origin story it was cribbed from. The origin story as myth would have been acceptable except that the author inserted a surviving witness to it all.

Still, even after firing the origin story out of a cannon, I still feel there's parts that can be salvaged. Basically there are going to be multiple sides to this conflict. There are going to be multiple werebeast tribes, all with their own motivations and some are going to be in conflict with each other. There is also going to be a group of vigilante hunters warring on all the tribes. The players represent the legitimate government looking into the situation. There is also going to be an illegal shadow government agency. Throw in individuals from the Lazlo Society and it becomes a very complicated hornets nest that feels like Ninja's and Superspies with BtS characters and supernatural monsters.

The primal were-wolf I designed is a pre-historic human (still homo-sapiens) who was bit by a were-dire wolf. Even before being bit he was a human hero and effectively immortal. He has survived into modern times and mastered his curse, exceeding modern were-wolves in power by a significant marigin. As the truth gets out about him, a number of factions are going to want to deal with him in different ways.

Nice. I like the original concepts in there. So it should be fairly unexpected to your players.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Great,idea.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

Definitely, J.L.!

I have always thought that BtS lends itself extremely well to a REAL Dracula scenario. Personally, I like the vampire intelligence background as one tool in the playbook, but a single and free master vampire - without resorting to the "shard of vampire intelligence" - needs to be possible. I guess it is just a question of giving up the VI background and leave the master vampire (e.g. page 37 ss. of Rifts Vampire Kingdoms) as is.

That said, I am very particular to the feral wild vampires. Mr. Loucifer alerted me to the fine story of "30 days of night" (comic book). The drawing style is ... err ... peculiar, but the story is very strong and would make for a very eerie but action bent "surrounded by the supernatural and cannot get out" scenario.

Another "vampire" scenario I have recently read is in the "Daredevil Adventures: Nefarious Plots" supplement; it is called "Curse of the Countess". You may remember "Daredevils", an old FGU game bent on pulp and Indy type adventures. Essentially, it plays in Rumania with lots of "looks like there is a vampire" plot hints, some subtle, some *teehee* not so much. A grand adventure taking the adventurers by the nose ring. Don't want to give away the background, but the point is that not all is as it seems. There is mystery, death, and investigation around an archaeological dig and everything points to a vampire present. It would make for a fine counter point to the dangerous dictum in BtS "there is always something supernatural". I feel you need to play the odd adventure without the supernatural to keep its presence fresh and exciting. Humans can hatch nefarious plots, too...

mrloucifer

I'm sending this out a day earlier than planned, and I'm proud to announce that the House of BtS has had a major renovation, specifically its navigation and its design. You should find it both easier to navigate as well as prettier to look at.

A lot of new material has been as added as well, but I'll leave you to finding the new stuff on your own. :twisted:
–H.P. Lovecraft

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Great,update any chance you add a New Monster or a reacurring Villain?
mrloucifer

gaby wrote:Great,update any chance you add a New Monster or a reacurring Villain?

If and when the inspiration strikes. On the other hand, I do accept commissions if you need them now. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

No I can wait.
mrloucifer

For those who dont know, the "Nuke-Con" here in Omaha, Nebraska has been (and continues to be) an important part of my gaming life. I've attended many of their outings and have become a staff member in the last year.
Well, for the fun of it, the House of BtS is sponsoring the "Make-A-Monster" contest for Nuke-Con this year! See below:

Nuke-Con’s “Make a Monster” contest - sponsored by houseofbts.net - is your chance to design, create, and bring your very own monster to life!
The Contest: Use your imagination to design the most horrible monster you can think of, and then create it! Design its details, write its backstory, illustrate its looks, or even produce the kinds of sounds it makes… all elements of creation are welcome for this contest!
If your monster is horrifying enough, it will wander the hallways and hunt in the dark rooms of the house of BtS as an exclusive monster!
But the very best monstrosity will make an appearance in a "Beyond the Supernatural" adventure at this year’s Nuke-Con while its creator gets a free Nuke-Con T-shirt!
If you've been sitting on a monster design that you'd like to submit to the house, now is the time!
Click here for more details!
–H.P. Lovecraft

auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

mrloucifer wrote:For those who dont know, the "Nuke-Con" here in Omaha, Nebraska has been (and continues to be) an important part of my gaming life. I've attended many of their outings and have become a staff member in the last year.
Well, for the fun of it, the House of BtS is sponsoring the "Make-A-Monster" contest for Nuke-Con this year! See below:

Nuke-Con’s “Make a Monster” contest - sponsored by houseofbts.net - is your chance to design, create, and bring your very own monster to life!
The Contest: Use your imagination to design the most horrible monster you can think of, and then create it! Design its details, write its backstory, illustrate its looks, or even produce the kinds of sounds it makes… all elements of creation are welcome for this contest!
If your monster is horrifying enough, it will wander the hallways and hunt in the dark rooms of the house of BtS as an exclusive monster!
But the very best monstrosity will make an appearance in a "Beyond the Supernatural" adventure at this year’s Nuke-Con while its creator gets a free Nuke-Con T-shirt!
If you've been sitting on a monster design that you'd like to submit to the house, now is the time!
Click here for more details!

Been brainstorming some ideas while I work my day job. Will get something into this contest hopefully soon!
mrloucifer

auyl wrote:Been brainstorming some ideas while I work my day job. Will get something into this contest hopefully soon!

Well, if you do, your odds of winning are good as I've not gotten any other submissions as of yet. :P
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

gaby wrote:Great update, any chance you add a New Monster or a reoccurring Villain?

Since you asked and inspiration struck, I'm proud to announce that the "Daemon Mobilis", a new supernatural entity the possesses vehicles, is now available on the supernatural page! Go check it out!
–H.P. Lovecraft

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Hey Man,the Daemon mobiles is a Great idea.
mrloucifer

As baseball season is in full swing, it felt like it was time to present a pregen I've been holding onto.
Douglas Ferguson, a Natural Psychic and baseball fan, is now available on the Pregen's page of the House of BTS!

“Douglas is a 30-year-old Natural Athlete and Assistance Coach for the Tacoma Rainiers as well as an athletic wear and gear model. Douglas grew up an only child in Jewish family and fell in love with a variety of sports (baseball in particular) early on. Doug had plans to become a baseball star in the major leagues before witnessing a monster steal one of his team mates away in the middle of the night. As he came to understand what he saw, and the horrible truth of the supernatural, Doug felt that he had to do something about it.”
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

After several requests for it, I've added a PDF version of the BtS character sheet I use for all of my characters. Its simialr to the one your familiar in the book, but with a few tweaks to offer more information. You can find it in the Lab.
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

Sorry for the lack of updates on the site.

I've got a new adventure from Anthony Uyl waiting to be added, and a few peices of art and whatnot, but I've been busy doing summer stuff, as well as finishing up a grand BTS adventure for submitting for the Fall/Halloween season Rifter!

But fear not, I will add more materials when I've got the time for it.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

Not sure if you know but under Pregens the link for Claire de Veilmond doesn't work; just takes me to a 404 page.
mrloucifer

Doh! Its been fixed. Thanks for letting me know.
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

There is a new Pregenerated Character wandering the House of BTS! Read the News for details.
–H.P. Lovecraft

auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Be sure to check out the new adventure that went up called "Rise the Dead" as well!
Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

mrloucifer wrote:There is a new Pregenerated Character wandering the House of BTS! Read the News for details.

Cool cool. Thanks for the update.
mrloucifer

auyl wrote:Be sure to check out the new adventure that went up called "Rise the Dead" as well!

I was just about to post this very thing, but Anthony is all over this one. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”