Every Moon has a Silver Lining

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What silver from the moon be more effective against were beasts?

Yes. It would do more damage.
No votes
No. It would do the same damage.
45%
No. It would do less damage.
No votes
Yes, but it would hinder regenerative abilities instead of doing more damage.
18%
Yes, but the effects would be something else (Please explain).
27%
No. It would heal them.
9%

Total votes: 11

Cybermancer
Hero

Every Moon has a Silver Lining

Unread post by Cybermancer »

It has long been known that there would be silver on the moon. The Apollo astronauts proved it by bringing samples back that contained both silver and gold.

Recently new evidence on where and how silver collects on the moons surface has been uncovered.
The question I have, is if you could obtain this silver (from a meteorite, for example), would it have any additional effects on werebeasts?

What do you think?
Last edited by Cybermancer on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Every Moon has a Silver Lining

Unread post by auyl »

I would think yes, but I have a hard time deciding what the exact effects would be. There could be all kinds, but I can't decide how I would apply it.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

I voted the same damage.

Since geophysics and geochemistry has nothing to do with any of it, why should it? To which one might say the Moon is mystically different from the Earth to which I’d say “meh”.
Cybermancer
Hero

Natasha wrote:I voted the same damage.

Since geophysics and geochemistry has nothing to do with any of it, why should it? To which one might say the Moon is mystically different from the Earth to which I’d say “meh”.

Spoken like a true skeptic.

But what about purity of the metal or how tempering it in space/micro-gravity might effect things?
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Cybermancer wrote:
Natasha wrote:I voted the same damage.

Spoken like a true skeptic.

But what about purity of the metal or how tempering it in space/micro-gravity might effect things?

What about the purity? I do not understand the question.

Tempering it in space/micro-gravity would, in my opinion, have no bearing upon it being silver for a silver atom is a silver atom is a silver atom.

It would have to be “hey I got this off the Moon so let us make it mystically different from what we find on Earth or any other celestial body”...that is to say the place where it was found matters more than where it was formed because the silver that is found on the moon and on the earth likely came from the same massive star explosion although it is possible the silver is from different star explosions but you cannot tell one from the other anyways. So mix in some hand wavium and knock yourself out. :clown:
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

I have to go with it doing the same amount. I LOVE the idea of a character having a weapon that "been plate with Silver from the Moon", but if its the same element make up as silver on Earth, I cant in good conscience say that it does more physical damage.
Now, that being said... there could be a cool psychological intimation effect or something by warning a werewolf what you have. Something like "Stand back! I'm armed with a blade that's plated in Moon Silver!" I could see the Were beast needing to make a save vs. Intimidate of even Horror Factor to not back down or run away. but that would be the extent of it.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Due to the mystical connection of the Werebeasts to the moon (the entire reason they are vulnerable to the metallic symbol of the moon, silver) I could see something that actually came from the moon having some sort of special effect (not necessarily damaging) on the werebeasts. Silver from the moon might do weird things like force them to assume a specific shape or be useable as a sort of holy symbol that could keep them at bay.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

In most games I would say "the same" But if I might allow for differences such as. An ancient ritual of Artimis that allows arrows formed of Lunar Silver to 'slay the beast within' allowing a curse style were to be fought and the mortal rescued. Or some other plot relevent element. Otherwise I would say its link is already implicit, other wise we start getting into the slipery slope of teching out mystisism (I gathered hydrogen from the solar wind so this flare will harm vampires :x )
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

My personal opinion would be 'sure', but do the characters have the resources/contacts to actually aquire anything? Secondly, for BTS I am of the firm opinion that the 'mystery/unknown' aspect of the game makes it so every GM should chose what is correct for their own game (even if played in the same campaign-So different werewolf might have different reaction to the same blade). This brings out the 'horror' as characters and their players can't just look at a stat block in a book and determine 'we can take that'. The moment the blade hit the werewolf would be the moment my players learned if anything special happened.
Cybermancer
Hero

ZorValachan wrote:My personal opinion would be 'sure', but do the characters have the resources/contacts to actually aquire anything?

There are already private concerns designing robotic systems to mine the moon.

I kid you not.

The other source would be meteorites, though it would be hard to get more than enough for a bullet or three that way.

It's also possible that the US government has an extremely small quantity of the material.

At the moment I'm leaning towards an effect regarding either the regenerative abilities of werebeasts or else their transformation. I'm not a fan of random tables and to have it do nothing is boring.

*Edit*

Another thought. Perhaps moon silver is more receptive to magic that involves werebeasts? But otherwise is the same as normal silver.

WWVLD?
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Cybermancer wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:My personal opinion would be 'sure', but do the characters have the resources/contacts to actually aquire anything?

There are already private concerns designing robotic systems to mine the moon.

I kid you not.

The other source would be meteorites, though it would be hard to get more than enough for a bullet or three that way.

It's also possible that the US government has an extremely small quantity of the material.

At the moment I'm leaning towards an effect regarding either the regenerative abilities of werebeasts or else their transformation. I'm not a fan of random tables and to have it do nothing is boring.

*Edit*

Another thought. Perhaps moon silver is more receptive to magic that involves werebeasts? But otherwise is the same as normal silver.

I do not doubt there are ways to get it, I just doubt any ol' average joe could.

My Group: Archaeology Professor, His 9 year-old daughter, parapsychologist, SWAT team member, CSI Investigator, Museum Curator, Bail-bondsman/bounty hunter, NASCAR driver. Not a lot of room to be getting moon rock. Yes, the curator might have some specimens in the museum 'vault', but could she use them without having to account for them disappearing? I might (as a GM) put one in there with no ties (heck they've been finding 'missing' moon rocks in all kinds of places recently), they could use, but as the players themselves without me giving it to them? I think it would be next to no chance.

I think if I would have to use this in my next game I would see the stronger moon-silver connection, as amplifying the silver's effect. Damage straight to a werebeast's HP if it is a 'natural' werebeast. If it is one that is a werebeast from infection/curse, not birth, I would possibly have it as a cure for lycanthropy.
Cybermancer
Hero

ZorValachan wrote:I do not doubt there are ways to get it, I just doubt any ol' average joe could.

My Group: Archaeology Professor, His 9 year-old daughter, parapsychologist, SWAT team member, CSI Investigator, Museum Curator, Bail-bondsman/bounty hunter, NASCAR driver. Not a lot of room to be getting moon rock. Yes, the curator might have some specimens in the museum 'vault', but could she use them without having to account for them disappearing? I might (as a GM) put one in there with no ties (heck they've been finding 'missing' moon rocks in all kinds of places recently), they could use, but as the players themselves without me giving it to them? I think it would be next to no chance.

I think if I would have to use this in my next game I would see the stronger moon-silver connection, as amplifying the silver's effect. Damage straight to a werebeast's HP if it is a 'natural' werebeast. If it is one that is a werebeast from infection/curse, not birth, I would possibly have it as a cure for lycanthropy.

I agree that it's not for the average Joe (or even perhaps the average game). But PC's are rarely 'average'. Certainly their circumstances are not or there would be no game.

As for your group, I agree with the curator. I would also add the Archaelogy Prof to that list of people who might have access/find some. Perhaps ancient peopls discovered what silver found in these fallen stars could do.

I like your ideas about damage direct to hitpoints for a naturally born lycanthrope. And I like the cure idea as well.

WWVLD?

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”