BtS-II: Arcanist; discussion/adaptation (draft Arcanist OCC)

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Re: BtS-II: Arcanist; discussion/adaptation (draft Arcanist OCC)

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hey there,

yes, indeed, "classic" Lovecraftian horror would have to do without (most) player magic ... and likely necessitate to play only with (a) the "Ordinary Person OCC", (b) some unkillable elder entities that make a Vampire intelligence go pale in comparison as well as (c) very active use of the insanity rules.

Yet, I humbly suggest, there is a lot that can be played with BtS between Lovecraftian and splatterpunk horror. The latter can certainly be played with BtS, too, not that any of mygames have turned into that. I actually stand flabberghasted that your experience is that it gets to splatter most of the time you have seen it. Notwithstanding, I find that BtS lends itself most supernaturally to mystery horror (like X-files, Supernatural), a mix with hardboiled detective stories or Indiana Jones / Allan Quatermain type action horror, although you can play the classic "10 little Indians" horror movie type thing wonderfully as well. It boils down to that I think it depends on the GM and how he defines his world what kind of horror you face.

An excellent book that showcases how Lovecraft flair can work well even in the presence of "players" using magic, even when "organized" by the government and all that against a spy thriller backdrop is the Fuller Memorandum by Charles Stross, which I should like to warmly recommend in any case.

The beauty of BtS for me is that you can play any kind of horror with it. I think the GM just has to define his world, "his" kind of horror and then decide on which OCCs (PCCs) and which magic/psi level he wants to allow.

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
gaby
Knight

Re: BtS-II: Arcanist; discussion/adaptation (draft Arcanist OCC)

Unread post by gaby »

Well some Arcanist may need a magic item,to boost ther PPE some times,like a Spell Book.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”