Who designed the Dar'ota ?

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Who designed the Dar'ota ?

Unread post by Axelmania »

I first learned of these from Rifts Conversion Book page 174, but I believe they were in 1st edition BTS too. Was it McCall, Siembieda or Wujcik?

I'm interested in the etymology of this name, if it was made up on the spot or based on any earlier works.

The idea of lizards who drink human blood and shapeshift into attractive humans appears in David Icke "Reptilians" literature in the 90s, but I think BTS 1st edition in 1987 precedes any of Icke's writings on the idea. Is it possible he got the idea from BTS Dar'ota?

Apparently 1929 "The Shadow Kingdom" by Robert E. Howard and "The 12th Planet" 1976 by Zecharia Sitchin have similar ideas about reptilian conspiracies manipulating humans. Basically wondering what ideas the Dar'ota might have drawn upon.

RCB had these being the "Incubus & Succubus" who I believe were also forms of Minor Demons in Palladium RPG's Hades so it gets a little confusing.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Who designed the Dar'ota ?

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Well they also had Tomb of Gerseidi vampires and Rifts vampires so...
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Not sure where it's from but pretty sure it doesn't originate from here ant PB may wanna give a courtesy call.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

Also in the Dresden Files books one of the Vampire Courts (the Red Court) look like attractive humans but their natural (or converted form if turned) form is monstrous (don't think a lizard though).
Axelmania
Knight

Yeah it's mostly the "shapeshifting lizard vampires" bit that I'm looking for. Not merely shapeshifting vampires or shapeshifting lizards.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Love this monster!
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

Axelmania wrote:I first learned of these from Rifts Conversion Book page 174, but I believe they were in 1st edition BTS too. Was it McCall, Siembieda or Wujcik?

I'm interested in the etymology of this name, if it was made up on the spot or based on any earlier works.

The idea of lizards who drink human blood and shapeshift into attractive humans appears in David Icke "Reptilians" literature in the 90s, but I think BTS 1st edition in 1987 precedes any of Icke's writings on the idea. Is it possible he got the idea from BTS Dar'ota?

Apparently 1929 "The Shadow Kingdom" by Robert E. Howard and "The 12th Planet" 1976 by Zecharia Sitchin have similar ideas about reptilian conspiracies manipulating humans. Basically wondering what ideas the Dar'ota might have drawn upon.

RCB had these being the "Incubus & Succubus" who I believe were also forms of Minor Demons in Palladium RPG's Hades so it gets a little confusing.

It says in the description that they are based on the Succubus and Incubus
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

There was an old 90s b movie succubus where the demonic form was pretty much the same
Axelmania
Knight

Mr. Jays wrote:It says in the description that they are based on the Succubus and Incubus

Which incarnation? The classic lore of them I know of doesn't involve blood-drinking or being a reptile. The only similarity I see here is the seduction / negative consequences aspect in which case, Dracula is already closer to the Dar'ota than the Succubus.

Zer0 Kay wrote:There was an old 90s b movie succubus where the demonic form was pretty much the same

I'm interested in knowing what this was.

Even though this could not have influenced a 1987 book, perhaps looking into discussion of it could help discover an earlier inspiration for both of them.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”