Board index » SDC Worlds » Beyond the Supernatural™

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:36 am

Dungeon Crawler

I was disappointed when I read the weekly update today and BtS2 books were not even mentioned as projects on the horizon. We've all speculated why the other necessary books for BtS2 have not been completed. There could be a number of reasons why that is. I've thought about this and wonder if the PB folks are worried about wasting time, effort and money by producing a lot of books and then being stuck with them if they don't sell. That's a valid concern. I also wonder if they believe their resources would be better spent on products that are known sellers, such as Rifts material. It's naive and unrealistic to think their resources are unlimited.

I've thought about ideas to get these books done and this is what I've come up with:

1. Let the fans help write the books! If resources don't permit PB staff to dedicate time to write them, set some guidelines for what is expected and what is required and then ask for submissions. (need for magic rules, N.P.C.s, spells, creature stats, artwork, adventures, O.C.C.s, etc) Set some ground rules, such as submissions are voluntary (not paid), ideas or material may or may not be published and whatever is submitted becomes property of Palladium Books. Have contributors sign an acknowledgement like they have to when submitting to The Rifter. Of course, this shouldn't be the norm for the way PB publishes books. That may kill the relationship PB has with its freelance writers, so make these two books the exceptions. PB isn't likely going to hire anyone to write these anyway, so what is there to lose?

2. Going back to #1, make it FUN! Hype it up! Generate buzz and excitement by allowing the fans to take ownership. Promote them as a fan-written publications! Make these SPECIAL! Submissions are nothing new (i.e. Rifter), so why not for these? BtS2 has a "cult" following, that's for sure. (pun intended). This would breathe new life into a line that has been dying on the vine for some time.

3. If a concern is getting stuck with a bunch of cases of books, then release Arcanum and Tome Grotesque through Drive Thru RPG and skip the costs associated with printing/shipping/stocking them. If there are sufficient orders placed for digital copies, then perhaps consider releasing actual printed books.

What do you think, PB?
What do you think, fellow BtS2 fans?

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:55 pm

Explorer

Sounds like some great ideas. I am up for contributing, though I am not sure how good I would be at actual writing up game systems. That being said I do have some ideas on things would like to see.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:42 am

Dungeon Crawler

Now we just need PB to kick the idea around!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 am

Knight

I hope they do it too.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:34 am

D-Bee

I really want those two books finished.

Maybe if they don't want to risk printing them, they should consider at least offering them as PDF on one of the sites that they have been using?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 am

Explorer

This sounds great. On a related note, is there anything in any of the rifters that is for bts?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:28 am

Dungeon Crawler

Thom001 wrote:
This sounds great. On a related note, is there anything in any of the rifters that is for bts?

Yes, there is. If you look in the "Beyond the Supernatural" section of the forum and look for a topic called "A list of BTS material in the Rifter", mrloucifer has kindly listed a lot of material for BTS and what Rifters you can find it in.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:59 am

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.
Jack Burton wrote:
Thom001 wrote:

Yes, there is. If you look in the "Beyond the Supernatural" section of the forum and look for a topic called "A list of BTS material in the Rifter", mrloucifer has kindly listed a lot of material for BTS and what Rifters you can find it in.

There is quite a bit (also mrloucifer is an excellent writer himself) and there is always something coming. On the Rifter front we BTS fans are doing good!

It is just a shame that the other two books are not coming out at the moment. I am happy that they get on the forefront on and off and are not entirely forgotten.

We all know we can bridge the gap by adapting BTS-1 but it would be more than just nice to finally get Arcanum. Tome Grotesque is not necessary but would be awesome as I like the uniqueness of the BTS creatures very much (they are mostly interpretations of known creatures but in such a unique way).

I like your ideas, Jack. I think it would make a lot of sense to harness the fan interest for the two open projects or let a few or one (mrloucifer) write them and then edit as much as Kevin pleases. I think the latter would be the fastest way to get the books.

ImageImage
left: horror art (by Brandon C. Clark); right: "Gents"(by Mike Mumah!)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:46 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Sadly this is one of the reasons I have not got BtS 2nd Edition yet. I think getting fan involvement into this project would be awesome. I would be more than happy to assist in the process.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Explorer

BTS is definitely the setting I would rather play but my group disagrees, mostly because of things like the lack of content in this setting. So when it does happen the world is basically a rifts world before the rifts, hundreds of years in the future from now, laser weapons, mdc stuff (including mdc armored clothing, MIB like agents that try to mind wipe civilians (and sometimes us) when they see this stuff to stop it from getting out. social media is monitored and routinely censored, sometimes a one world government, etc.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:20 am

Knight

Here hoping for 2018.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:21 pm

Demon Lord Extraordinaire

Comment: Where's the money?
gaby wrote:
Here hoping for 2018.

Jim Johnston has odds on that.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:26 pm

Monk

When people ask 'What new rifts book do you want?' in the rifts forum (or elsewhere), say that you want the the Arcanum and Tome Grotesque. and do it consistently every time that question is asked.

The whys...
✽ It exposes the rifters to the idea there are books other then rifts books.
✽ When KS (or whoever) looks at the "want list" of those topics, they will see that not everyone want another $#%^& rifts book.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork