making advanced hth rules easier

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

making advanced hth rules easier

Unread post by zerombr »

I'd like to do some houseruling and tighten up hand to hand rule. I think we can sort of use the same sort of rules for disarm, entangle, power parry, possibly even throws. I think we can live without having a ton of extra bonuses to combat for that. So this post is on that topic, so please if your advice is 'don't do anything' or 'this is stupid', I ask you to refrain from such comments.

So my initial thought is that perhaps all of those abilities could be a subset of strike, like you could take a -4 to a combat roll (usually strike) to get any of those effects instead of dealing damage, the list'd be like

- Disarm an opponent. If you are bare handed, you may choose to hold the weapon, otherwise it gets knocked away a number of feet equal to your P.S.
- Entangle an opponent's limb. The opponent may not use that limb for the rest of this round. Once per round you may roll another Entangle that must be opposed by your opponent's Dodge. You are considering to be grappling for purposes of any throws, but your opponent is not.
- Power Parry. In addition to parrying, you deal 1D6 damage to your opponent
- Grab. (No penalty to Strike roll). After grabbing an opponent, you restrain their ability to Dodge. May also set up for further moves
- Throw. May be done offensively with Strike, or defensively with Parry. If successful, the opponent takes 1D6+P.S. bonus, is forced prone, and loses initiative.
- Hold. If you are already grabbing your opponent, you do not take a -4 to your Strike roll. If successful, your opponent is placed into a Hold, further restraining their actions (may not Dodge or Parry.) Once per round, they may attempt to escape from the Hold with a -4 to Strike, versus your full Strike bonuses.
((I personally like the idea of combining Hold and Lock. Holds, mechanically, do little more than restrain, and the opponent has unlimited chances to escape it, with no negative to it. In my home game, every escape attempt results in taking P.S. bonus in damage, and the aggressor can roll Hold to deal P.S. in damage. It is a good way to subdue someone since Holds cannot kill, but that's neither here nor there)

Here's my new one that I want some thoughts on
- Produce Advantage. I want something that represents not only defending yourself, but also putting the opponent in a worse position. Think Jackie Chan films. A recent example would be in Bumblebee, where Shatter deflects an attack of his with a sweeping crescent kick, and gets an easy hit on Bee. I was thinking that a boxer's snap jab would also fall into this category. As a Strike, it'd do minimum damage with full bonuses, and add a +2 to your next attack against them. Whatcha think of that?
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Re: making advanced hth rules easier

Unread post by zerombr »

addendum, I figure certain hth styles like grappling would reduce penalties more and such, so not everyone'd deal with the same penalties, this just is for chars without specific bonuses for anything
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”