Is artwork necessary with a Rifter Advenutre/Story sub.

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

raine204
D-Bee

Is artwork necessary with a Rifter Advenutre/Story sub.

Unread post by raine204 »

Hi all, a quick question. My skills at story telling are much better than my skills at drawing. One thing that has been holding me back from submitting my short story and adventure hooks for it has been my inability to draw at a professional level. Is this something I need to address. I can describe the equipment / vehicles pretty well just, well, I cant draw that great. I mean I can draw, it just takes me an inordinate amount of time to come up with something I'm actually happy to show off. For instance there is some alien fighter jets that I have a clear idea of what they look like and take inspiration from Russian aircraft (along with some American) in the real world, but would probably take me a couple weeks to draw at a professional level.
If it's a requirement for the artwork I will work on it and get it done. However if detailed descriptions are acceptable I could foresee ably submit my adventure and story hooks within just a couple more weeks.
Thanks in advance.
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Re: Is artwork necessary with a Rifter Advenutre/Story sub.

Unread post by AlexM »

Artwork is usually not supplied by the writer. Sometimes, maps are provided.

Alex Marciniszyn
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

raine204 wrote:Hi all, a quick question. My skills at story telling are much better than my skills at drawing. One thing that has been holding me back from submitting my short story and adventure hooks for it has been my inability to draw at a professional level. Is this something I need to address. I can describe the equipment / vehicles pretty well just, well, I cant draw that great. I mean I can draw, it just takes me an inordinate amount of time to come up with something I'm actually happy to show off. For instance there is some alien fighter jets that I have a clear idea of what they look like and take inspiration from Russian aircraft (along with some American) in the real world, but would probably take me a couple weeks to draw at a professional level.
If it's a requirement for the artwork I will work on it and get it done. However if detailed descriptions are acceptable I could foresee ably submit my adventure and story hooks within just a couple more weeks.
Thanks in advance.

I encourage you to put similar effort into both writing and some accompanying visual art. They are often mutually reinforcing efforts as you might find inspiration in one to improve the other. If you can create something visually impressive in two weeks, then I think it's worth it. I've drawn most of my maps over the course of 2+ months per map.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
idahobeef
D-Bee

Unread post by idahobeef »

You can easily hire someone from Fiverr.com to do artwork, I pay $10 for original work at my Flickr site, check it out. https://www.flickr.com/photos/145642313@N07/

I LOVE Fiverr! hahaha
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

idahobeef wrote:You can easily hire someone from Fiverr.com to do artwork, I pay $10 for original work at my Flickr site, check it out. https://www.flickr.com/photos/145642313@N07/

I LOVE Fiverr! hahaha

Definitely don't do this for a submission. Submitting your own artwork would be awesome (and a separate submission, ultimately), but don't hire someone else and then submit that art.

Good luck!
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Jason Richards wrote:
idahobeef wrote:You can easily hire someone from Fiverr.com to do artwork, I pay $10 for original work at my Flickr site, check it out. https://www.flickr.com/photos/145642313@N07/

I LOVE Fiverr! hahaha

Definitely don't do this for a submission. Submitting your own artwork would be awesome (and a separate submission, ultimately), but don't hire someone else and then submit that art.

Good luck!

What about if I commission Chuck? Once I receive a commissioned piece of art isnt it legally mine? If not how is it that PB and other publishers take a work somebody else made and take all the credit and monetary gain from it? Half joking

Real question. Why would it be bad if I say, get Chuck and Apollo to do some art for a book and submit it to Kevin with credits for Chuck and Apollo?

Shouldn't the tip you give this guy be... "The Rifter is going on hiatus."?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:

I LOVE Fiverr! hahaha

Good luck!

What about if I commission Chuck? Once I receive a commissioned piece of art isnt it legally mine? If not how is it that PB and other publishers take a work somebody else made and take all the credit and monetary gain from it? Half joking

Real question. Why would it be bad if I say, get Chuck and Apollo to do some art for a book and submit it to Kevin with credits for Chuck and Apollo?

Shouldn't the tip you give this guy be... "The Rifter is going on hiatus."?

basically, licensing agreements. you buy a picture, you have the rights to that picture. you don't necessarily have the rights to reproduce that picture 5,000 times and sell it to all your buddies. it is at best unclear, which is really not what you should want to hear when you're planning on making it part of a print run worth tens of thousands in sales.

it might work out if you paid the author to submit their work to palladium after signing the agreement for the rifter, but you should probably check with palladium for that.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”