A Gen Con Story

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

A Gen Con Story

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Hey all, I have a Gen Con story I feel I have to share.

So Sunday I was at the Chimera Hobby Shop (http://www.chimerahobby.com) looking at their vast
collection of used material. So I was deciding on which books I wanted, when I noticed a father with
his 11-12 year old son picking up a 1st edition Old Ones, GM Shield, something else, and Mount
Nimiro. They are talking things over and making their final selections. I tell them, "Hey you're going to
enjoy that Mount Nimiro." The father says, "Do you work for this store." I say, "No I work for
Palladium Books." The kid gets huge saucer eyes. The father gets excited. I tell them would you
like to meet Kevin and get your books signed. Now both are excited. So I pay for my two books and
lead them to our booth. I take them over to Kevin and he's really thrilled to meet these two fans.
Hey signed their books and we invited them t come to the Open House. Days later I get home and
realize I picked up the wrong book! The two books looked similar but I grabbed the wrong one.
Needless to say, I'm happy that I made a dad and son have a moment that otherwise they wouldn't
have happened. That to me is worth the loss of the book I wanted.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Re: A Gen Con Story

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Reagren Wright wrote:Hey all, I have a Gen Con story I feel I have to share.

So Sunday I was at the Chimera Hobby Shop (http://www.chimerahobby.com) looking at their vast
collection of used material. So I was deciding on which books I wanted, when I noticed a father with
his 11-12 year old son picking up a 1st edition Old Ones, GM Shield, something else, and Mount
Nimiro. They are talking things over and making their final selections. I tell them, "Hey you're going to
enjoy that Mount Nimiro." The father says, "Do you work for this store." I say, "No I work for
Palladium Books." The kid gets huge saucer eyes. The father gets excited. I tell them would you
like to meet Kevin and get your books signed. Now both are excited. So I pay for my two books and
lead them to our booth. I take them over to Kevin and he's really thrilled to meet these two fans.
Hey signed their books and we invited them t come to the Open House. Days later I get home and
realize I picked up the wrong book! The two books looked similar but I grabbed the wrong one.
Needless to say, I'm happy that I made a dad and son have a moment that otherwise they wouldn't

Love the story!
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Reagren Wright wrote:Hey all, I have a Gen Con story I feel I have to share.

Very cool!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

That is fantastic :-D
The Dragon Has Spoken
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Very cool of you mate! :ok:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

That, to me, is one of the best parts of being a Palladium Freelancer. To be able to make a fan's day just by shaking their hand, chatting for a few moments, or scribbling my name in their book. Truly awesome and humbling.

I had a similar experience this year when I was walking past a fledgling publisher. He had what I guess would be called a "booth-dude" dressed in steampunk-style clothing that greeted me first, and after I turned to say hello back the man behind the table asked if I like Pen & Paper RPGs. As I finished turning toward them I responded, "I actually write Pen & Paper RPGs." The guy got a look at my badge and exclaimed, "Oh, you work for Palladium Books." He sort of stood there, seemingly stunned for a moment, and I had to prompt him to continue his pitch. I took a look at his book and wished him luck before continuing on my way. The entire time he seemed extra excited that a Palladium Freelancer took an interest in his work. That's pretty cool to me.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Warwolf wrote:That, to me, is one of the best parts of being a Palladium Freelancer. To be able to make a fan's day just by shaking their hand, chatting for a few moments, or scribbling my name in their book. Truly awesome and humbling.

I had a similar experience this year when I was walking past a fledgling publisher. He had what I guess would be called a "booth-dude" dressed in steampunk-style clothing that greeted me first, and after I turned to say hello back the man behind the table asked if I like Pen & Paper RPGs. As I finished turning toward them I responded, "I actually write Pen & Paper RPGs." The guy got a look at my badge and exclaimed, "Oh, you work for Palladium Books." He sort of stood there, seemingly stunned for a moment, and I had to prompt him to continue his pitch. I took a look at his book and wished him luck before continuing on my way. The entire time he seemed extra excited that a Palladium Freelancer took an interest in his work. That's pretty cool to me.

Nice!

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”