Probably a strange question, one on one Rifts?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kordwar
D-Bee

Probably a strange question, one on one Rifts?

Unread post by Kordwar »

Does anyone have any experience running Rifts or any other Palladium products with just one player? Simply put: My friends are Chumps and aren't interested in TTRPGs or just don't have the time to commit to a regular game. So any advice would be appreciated.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Re: Probably a strange question, one on one Rifts?

Unread post by Tiree »

Yes, it's like running a game with a single player in any other game system.

You create a plot, and you run it.

Now you can tailor the plot more the individual player, make them shine all the time. It can become a competition between the player and the GM. But overall, it's not as great of an experience unless you have more players. I have seen some folks toss in a recurring NPC to help the player, so basically the GM plays along as well. But that gets to be a bit tougher, when combat is involved. But it all boils down to: create a plot, and run it.
scorps
D-Bee

Unread post by scorps »

have done. as Tiree above says -- plot it, run it.

combat you may have to tweak as it tends to drag on with less damage sources combined with bloated MDC. one way i have found around it is roll a D6; 1,2,3 come up as half damage and 4,5,6 come up as full damage rolls. so still some chance but combat resolves quicker and deadlier. so PC's will either quickly blow someone away or if they get damaged too quickly, run away themselves. then they learn to pick their fights (which to me is more realistic).
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

RP the combat
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Here are some options:

1) Let them have 2 characters. Or let them have 1 PC and 2 NPC sidekicks. You play the sidekicks, but the player rolls the dice for them.

2) Convert Rifts to a system your group likes. I've converted / perverted / contorted / extorted a dozen rulesets and at the end of the day, the players and you having fun matter FAR more than what ruleset you are using. Full disclosure - I use a simplified version of the PB system based on Mechanoids for my games. I hear many people enjoy the Savage Rifts game.

3) Check out Scarlet Heroes by Sine Nomine Games. Kevin Crawford created a system that allows you to run AD&D with 1 player. I am sure the concepts within can be ported over to Palladium. Not the system, but the ideas of how 1 PC can become equal to a party to allow for interesting SOLO play. Download Exemplars & Eidolons on DriveThru RPG if you want to see the free version. There may even be a Scarlet Heroes Quickstart that explains the concept.

4) Find some new players.
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

this could be a good opportunity to run one of the more "broken" rifts classes, without them going too crazy, after all number matter and when your solo...sometimes being a bit godly is a good thing
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Im actually working on a one player intro adventure for Rifts that I was intending to submit to the Rifter. If you like I can PM u the concept/plot.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”