Robotech Movie!!

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cchopps
Adventurer

Robotech Movie!!

Unread post by cchopps »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ct-1021744

From the article:
Andy Muschietti, who directed the upcoming film version of Stephen King’s It, has been tapped to develop and helm the studio’s adaptation of the anime featuring giant armored warriors.

Muschietti's creative partner Barbara Muschietti will join Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton in producing the project, which is based on the 1980s cartoon series from Harmony Gold USA and Japan's Tatsunoko Productions. It was re-edited and re-dialogued to combine three Japanese anime series to give the producers enough episodes to air as a daily syndicated series.

Robotech is a sprawling sci-fi epic that takes place in a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology of an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific island. The technology comes in handy when the humankind has to fend off a wave of alien invasions.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Robotech Movie!!

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

interesting.
hollywood is worse then HG about getting things done (from a gamebook perspective). Sooo, while the news is interesting, I'm not going to give up my day job to stand in line for it quite yet.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I am with drewkitty on this. I await an official trailer.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Well effects have come far enough they could do a really good job with this now in a live action film so I can see why some big movie companies would be looking for it. Given how much even the terrible transformer movies have made do robotech well and there clearly is a market out there for that kind of film.
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

BookWyrm wrote:I am with drewkitty on this. I await an official trailer.

Truth.

C. Chopps
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I just saw this a few hours ago and I too am with Drewkitty. They could not even get the two follow on movies for Shadow Chronicles made so not sure how this is going to get done.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

The first hurdle is how IT does in the theaters. If IT is a big hit, then the director will have the power to push his next project. Otherwise, this is just Hollywood's usual hot air publicity machine.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

BookWyrm wrote:I am with drewkitty on this. I await an official trailer.

And I will be more interested in this once the trailer comes out. And will be going to see if it comes out where I can go see it w/o having to go to crowed downtown LA (or hollywood) and have to fight traffic….(well if it is shown at AnimExpo I'd go downtown cause I'd be going to AX at the convention center.)
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
wizardofthenorth
D-Bee

Unread post by wizardofthenorth »

Warshield73 wrote:I just saw this a few hours ago and I too am with Drewkitty. They could not even get the two follow on movies for Shadow Chronicles made so not sure how this is going to get done.

The difference is this is Sony Movies production. I have noticed the Agramas got their names on the production as part of the licensing contract...but that will be a mere formality. They in reality will have little to no say on anything.

It is the Sony accountants who will decide if this movie gets made...and to what quality. Not the next new director, producer...how 'IT' does.

They will simply look at how a big stompy robot /sci fi movie will be able to make both domesticalky and foreign...with a special eye to the Asian markets, China in particular.

At $400M($200M)...pacific rim is the baseline...and that has earned a remake.

I tend to think the odds of this being made in this current world of blockbusters, movie reboots of TV shows, action scifi, comic booky stuff is much much higher than a decade ago. Also...it may actually get some more budgetary attention than it would have gotten.
wizardofthenorth
D-Bee

Unread post by wizardofthenorth »

Also...this is sheer speculation on my part...but I am beginning to wonder if this may be part of the reason why RRT seems to be getting some traction. Either someone (HG via Sony) is forcing palladium to get the mess cleaned up so this is not hanging around when the movie launches...or an opportunity was seen in some licensed Robotech properties and an equity position is now in play.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

My point was that in hollywood (movie producers) nothing is a sure thing till they announce a showing date. And that there are a bunch of announced movie productions that never get off the ground or get canceled for one reason or another.

Even then, it takes a long time to produce a movie. esspecilly for those with lots of CG effects.
FrankFi
Newb

Unread post by FrankFi »

I hope this move doesn't disappoint!

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”