Digital tabletop tokens for palladium characters??

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ruaryvash
D-Bee

Digital tabletop tokens for palladium characters??

Unread post by Ruaryvash »

Hi all,

Anyone know of some usable tokens/icons of palladium characters and races for digital tabletops like roll20? I run all my games through there, but i can't find any player or npc tokens of wolfen, danzi, or other palladium races. Halp!
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Digital tabletop tokens for palladium characters??

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

Ruaryvash wrote:Hi all,

Anyone know of some usable tokens/icons of palladium characters and races for digital tabletops like roll20? I run all my games through there, but i can't find any player or npc tokens of wolfen, danzi, or other palladium races. Halp!

The Paper Miniatures PDFs that they sell over on DrivethruRPG.com could definitely be used for this. Here is a link to the search page that should take you to all of their listings over there.

-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
Ruaryvash
D-Bee

palladiumjunkie wrote:
Ruaryvash wrote:Hi all,

The Paper Miniatures PDFs that they sell over on DrivethruRPG.com could definitely be used for this. Here is a link to the search page that should take you to all of their listings over there.

-Chris

Hey Chris. Thanks for the help. A good suggestions, but they look a little awkward on the digital tabletop. A top-down or 3/4 would be better. I realize that's stupidly specific, but what else are forums for! Really, anything that could PASS as a wolfen or danzi (and those are my biggest concerns currently) would work. I just can't find anything at all.
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Ruaryvash wrote:Hey Chris. Thanks for the help. A good suggestions, but they look a little awkward on the digital tabletop. A top-down or 3/4 would be better. I realize that's stupidly specific, but what else are forums for! Really, anything that could PASS as a wolfen or danzi (and those are my biggest concerns currently) would work. I just can't find anything at all.

Yeah, but they can easily be made to be what you want. Go to the downloads section of RPTools.net (here), and download the TokenTool. It is a Java app, that lets you capture a section of the screen, and then turn it into a token (Tool>ScreenCapture on the menubar). I always just zoom the PDF in a ways, before I take the screen capture. It will let you size the screen capture window to only grab the part of the screen that you want, too. Also, if you already have an image file, you can just drag and drop it onto the tool.

Once you have the image in the tool, select a border. It has several borders to choose from (circle, square, hex, and with a variety of patterns). Then just move the image around under the border, and zoom in, or out, to get as much as you want inside the border of the token. Then you save the token, and you are good to go. Everything outside of the token is set to transparent when you save it, so it is ready to just drop into Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds once you have saved it. EDIT: There are other options when creating the token, such as level of transparency, size, etc. I find the basic settings to be all I need most of the time, but feel free to play around with them. :)

Here is a quick example of a Wolfen Gladiator that I generated from the sample pdf that Palladium has up on DriveThruRPG.

-Chris
Last edited by palladiumjunkie on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

It actually would be really cool if Palladium went ahead and did these up on their own, and sold them alongside their paper minis. It would not take very long for Madman Mike to generate these himself. The tokenTool is open source, but Mike would be able to create a better background inside the token's circle using whatever editor he uses. For example, he could add some texture behind the wolfen, so that it isn't just a plain white background like in my sample. Just a thought.

-Chris

zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

palladiumjunkie wrote:It actually would be really cool if Palladium went ahead and did these up on their own, and sold them alongside their paper minis. It would not take very long for Madman Mike to generate these himself. The tokenTool is open source, but Mike would be able to create a better background inside the token's circle using whatever editor he uses. For example, he could add some texture behind the wolfen, so that it isn't just a plain white background like in my sample. Just a thought.

-Chris

Suggestion- PM him with this idea.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

no idea what a danzi is, but i'm having a hard time believing you can't find tokens for a werewolf, which should be able to pass for a wolfen fairly easily.
Ruaryvash
D-Bee

Shark_Force wrote:no idea what a danzi is, but i'm having a hard time believing you can't find tokens for a werewolf, which should be able to pass for a wolfen fairly easily.

Danzi are from the eastern territory book. One of my favorite. And there are plenty of werewolves that PASS for a wolf-like humanoid, but i'm hoping there's something better out there, hence the post.

As it happens, i'm commissioning devin night to make custom tokens of my player characters. $10 a piece. Based on his other work, i think it's a great deal. Thanks for the help all!
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

palladiumjunkie wrote:Yeah, but they can easily be made to be what you want. Go to the downloads section of RPTools.net (here), and download the TokenTool. It is a Java app, that lets you capture a section of the screen, and then turn it into a token (Tool>ScreenCapture on the menubar). I always just zoom the PDF in a ways, before I take the screen capture. It will let you size the screen capture window to only grab the part of the screen that you want, too. Also, if you already have an image file, you can just drag and drop it onto the tool.

Once you have the image in the tool, select a border. It has several borders to choose from (circle, square, hex, and with a variety of patterns). Then just move the image around under the border, and zoom in, or out, to get as much as you want inside the border of the token. Then you save the token, and you are good to go. Everything outside of the token is set to transparent when you save it, so it is ready to just drop into Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds once you have saved it. EDIT: There are other options when creating the token, such as level of transparency, size, etc. I find the basic settings to be all I need most of the time, but feel free to play around with them. :)

Here is a quick example of a Wolfen Gladiator that I generated from the sample pdf that Palladium has up on DriveThruRPG.

Thanks for the link, that will come in handy.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Ruaryvash
D-Bee

Now that i'm thinking about it, PalladiumBooks should just go ahead and create their own virtual tabletop system. Roll20 is good, and comes with enough free content for basic gamings, user generated uploads, and a paid content system for more featires and tokens etc. Palladium could follow the same model, and the content (character sheets for ex) could be defaulted for palladium's system. It would be a great way to generate traffic on the site and get the products more visibility.

Building in the digital model, maybe the paid service could come with pdf "rentals" of book, or just online access or the like. I would throw wads of cash at my laptop for that kind of thing. Although i hate to be an advocate for killing physical books and games, i do have to say it was a huge pain to lug around my 30 or so books when i only played once every 3 or 4 presidential elections. Just saying digital/virtual services might be a a good idea
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Ruaryvash wrote:Now that i'm thinking about it, PalladiumBooks should just go ahead and create their own virtual tabletop system. Roll20 is good, and comes with enough free content for basic gamings, user generated uploads, and a paid content system for more featires and tokens etc. Palladium could follow the same model, and the content (character sheets for ex) could be defaulted for palladium's system. It would be a great way to generate traffic on the site and get the products more visibility.

Building in the digital model, maybe the paid service could come with pdf "rentals" of book, or just online access or the like. I would throw wads of cash at my laptop for that kind of thing. Although i hate to be an advocate for killing physical books and games, i do have to say it was a huge pain to lug around my 30 or so books when i only played once every 3 or 4 presidential elections. Just saying digital/virtual services might be a a good idea

while i think it would be nice, i'm not too optimistic about this ever happening. getting them to publish tokens is much more plausible. remember, this is the company that only just recently agreed to the possibility that there's a market for PDFs of RPG books.

(on the plus side, those PDFs can also help you with the carrying 30 books around problem).

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”