Mercenaries PDF from Drive Thru...

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Mercenaries PDF from Drive Thru...

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Can anyone tell me if it has *usable* bookmarks?

I've bought a few books from DTRPG, and it's mixed results. And since it's DRM'd, I can't add/change the "Atlantis134" to an actual usable bookmark.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Re: Mercenaries PDF from Drive Thru...

Unread post by Tiree »

Myrrhibis wrote:Can anyone tell me if it has *usable* bookmarks?

I've bought a few books from DTRPG, and it's mixed results. And since it's DRM'd, I can't add/change the "Atlantis134" to an actual usable bookmark.

I found that they don't put book marks in their titles. I purchased Megaverse in Flames, and was very disappointed.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Tiree wrote:
Myrrhibis wrote:Can anyone tell me if it has *usable* bookmarks?

I found that they don't put book marks in their titles. I purchased Megaverse in Flames, and was very disappointed.

Hence why I asked. I've had mixed results with titles direct from PB, and via DriveThru:

Got Lemuria, NG 1 & 2 as an Insider - all b/m
Then I got Atlantis - no b/m
Got Rifter 52 & 61 - nope.
Vampire Kingdoms revised - yup;
Rifts Vampires - nope
RUE - nope
Also the MiF, and several Dead Reign titles on behalf of my roommate. (Nope on all, or at least usable b/m - page 1-X isn't much help)

So yeah, color me discouraged. I have 1st printings of most of the Rifts & PFRPG lines... so to find out that when I buy them AGAIN in a LEGAL digital format, FINALLY, only to discover there's zero way to quick-click to what I want....

Color me a bit discouraged about risking a buy on anything that's not real recent (aka hoping that Rifts Vampires was an aberration among recent books). I *want* to support the digital effort - so now I'm taking double the digital room on my HD/cloud storage, and buying legal copies while I bookmark the pirated copies I've had to make due with for so long.

But that seems like an bass-ackward way of doing things.
Myrrhibis

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

older books they appear to just scan.

brand new books seem to get bookmarks sometimes, and sometimes not. probably comes down to who is doing the editing of the PDF.

remember that they only moved to purely digital editing in the last decade or so.. prior to that they were still using at least some physical layout stages in editing. many of their oldest books like mercenaries don't even have the original printers copies left, and never had the kind of high detail digital files you'd need to make a PDF today. so scanning a copy pulled from the latest print batch is about the only way to make a PDF of it.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

A scanned copy which is then ocr'd can be book marked just as well a new originally "digital" version. Hell pirated versions I have seen have had it done.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

jaymz wrote:A scanned copy which is then ocr'd can be book marked just as well a new originally "digital" version. Hell pirated versions I have seen have had it done.

As have I - several of the pirated books I have, which aren't yet available from PB (or weren't until very recently), either had bookmarks added or I've added them.

Just, as several said - when a recent book is DRM'd as PB is doing (not blaming them for doing so either), and there's no usable bookmarks, but other recent books have it, makes it a wee bit frustrating.

It makes folks have to have/find-a-friend-with a DRM-stripping program, to allow bookmarks to be added.
Myrrhibis

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Please bring this to the attention of Palladium (direct email to AlexM or Kevin, phone call, not forum post).

Bookmarks are extremely important for PDF sales.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Not for nothing but they should already know this simple thing for doing a pdf and should NOT have to be prodded to do so.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”