Rifts Ultimate Edition PDF Problem

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Michael Kell
D-Bee

Rifts Ultimate Edition PDF Problem

Unread post by Michael Kell »

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I saw none better suited.

Friday I went and purchased the Rifts UE PDF from OBS because my hardcopy is slowly showing signs of use and carrying a pdf around is far easier. Using it has posed some problems (one, mostly):

Are the bookmarks intended to be the way they are in this book? I mean, seriously, every single page is an individual bookmark, I can't delete them, I can't rename them and the way they are they aren't useful, like, at all.

I'm sorry, I love you guys, but I feel that this is drastically cutting down on the use I can get out of the book and makes me apprehensive to purchase any further PDFs for fear of the same situation.
"I'm born of smokeless Fire. I bend my knee to no God nor any child of Man."
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Rifts Ultimate Edition PDF Problem

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Michael Kell wrote:Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I saw none better suited.

Friday I went and purchased the Rifts UE PDF from OBS because my hardcopy is slowly showing signs of use and carrying a pdf around is far easier. Using it has posed some problems (one, mostly):

Are the bookmarks intended to be the way they are in this book? I mean, seriously, every single page is an individual bookmark, I can't delete them, I can't rename them and the way they are they aren't useful, like, at all.

I'm sorry, I love you guys, but I feel that this is drastically cutting down on the use I can get out of the book and makes me apprehensive to purchase any further PDFs for fear of the same situation.

From what I can tell, that's the way all their stuff comes.

I noticed it in Atlantis, and promptly went back to the slightly-lower-quality pirate copy I'd been making do with before it was legally available.... and continued to use the self-made useful bookmarks.
Same for the RUE, since it took 30+ books for RIFTS being posted to DriveThru before the CORE Rulebook was available.

I'll continue to (RE)purchase the books from PB/DriveThru... but will apparently have to continue to use my pirate copies due to DRM of books that can't even have major Chapters & Sections properly bookmarked.
Same too for "Megaverse in Flames", and the "Vampire Sourcebook" - however the Revised Vampire Kingdoms DOES have bookmarks.

Interestingly, ALL THREE Insider PDFs - the only ones I'm aware of, that were produced from the get-go with PDF format/sales in mind - have Bookmarks like you'd expect.

In short - looks like while I'll be giving my $$ to Palladium AGAIN for books I had already bought at least once in hard copy, I'll be editing the pirate copies my friends hunt up.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

While the Bookmarks leave something to be desired...
The document is keyword searchable, and commenting is enabled.
so there is that.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Michael Kell
D-Bee

Damian Magecraft wrote:While the Bookmarks leave something to be desired...
The document is keyword searchable, and commenting is enabled.
so there is that.

True enough, but that is still a far cry from really useful. I'm not that versed in Acrobat and the various levels of security you can put on a PDF, but I would really love to be able to edit, rename and delete bookmarks in mine. I would expect that to not severely reduce security when it comes to watermarks and so on, but I don't know.

Anyway, here's to hoping that one of the PTB chimes in with some insight and maybe good news.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

The bookmarks in my (legit insider) PDF copies of NG1 and 2 are correctly setup - by chapter/topic rather than by page.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Michael Kell
D-Bee

That's what has me hoping that those in my legally purchased pdf (from OBS / Drivethru) might get another look at and receive some bookmarks that are useful or that the security preventing me from deleting and setting / renaming bookmarks myself might be removed.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”