Savage Topics on the PMB

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Savage Topics on the PMB

Unread post by Library Ogre »

If folks have mechanical questions or creations for Savage Rifts, where should they put them on the PMB? The Rifts section? Other Games? Some new, as-yet-uncreated Savage Rifts board?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Savage Topics on the PMB

Unread post by Fell »

B U M P

I would like to see a spot made here at PB forums also for the Savage Rifts stuff.

I vote: Some new, as-yet-uncreated Savage Rifts board.
Dan Frederick
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Honestly I would almost recommend keeping them in the main rifts section. The upside of that is get people interested in the new savage worlds stuff in forums to expose them to all the other rift stuff out there.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I tend to think that a sub forum or something might make sense as it'll help make sure people realize it's a Savage World question and not a Rifts one and lead to arguments over systems.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

hi Daniel. You're new here.
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

Mark Hall wrote:If folks have mechanical questions or creations for Savage Rifts, where should they put them on the PMB? The Rifts section? Other Games? Some new, as-yet-uncreated Savage Rifts board?

There is a main thread for the Player's Guide in the Rifts section currently, and there are the Pinnacle forums as well.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I think the "no conversion" policy needs a revision too, while they're at it.

Since Savage Rifts is currently only available to the Kickstarter supporters, maybe a private forum like the Sound Off forum would be the more appropriate option? Then once the books are released for sale the forum could be opened up to all.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Glistam wrote:I think the "no conversion" policy needs a revision too, while they're at it.

That's needed a revision for decades.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Glistam wrote:I think the "no conversion" policy needs a revision too, while they're at it.

Since Savage Rifts is currently only available to the Kickstarter supporters, maybe a private forum like the Sound Off forum would be the more appropriate option? Then once the books are released for sale the forum could be opened up to all.

Maybe. But one good way to get someone interested in buying the game is to let them read about it. As is it, I already have a Savage Rifts game so I don't need to buy one if I want to play Savage Rifts but I might be made to want to buy one.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

We've requested a new forum for Savage Rifts... Don't know what the hold up is.

Likewise, we requested guidance regarding the No Conversions policy. I believe that one is pending an answer from a lawyer.

Sorry for the delays.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mack wrote:We've requested a new forum for Savage Rifts... Don't know what the hold up is.

Likewise, we requested guidance regarding the No Conversions policy. I believe that one is pending an answer from a lawyer.

Sorry for the delays.

Two decades of policy doesn't get reversed overnight. We can take a little delay. =)
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Mack wrote:We've requested a new forum for Savage Rifts... Don't know what the hold up is.

Sorry for the delays.

Wait, I...

No, nothing good can come from asking why the board admins need permission to open a subforum, or you need to get legal advice about whether we can talk rules conversions between the rules Palladium uses and the rules a licensed Savage Worlds spinoff of one of Palladium's games uses. That way madness lies.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Agreed and seconded with Rallan. I brought up the topic of conversions twice. Long before the SW Rifts were released. As usual looks like it's being looked into after the fact.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

While we're at "getting new boards", what about the podcast boards that haven't had a post in two years? Or the ten year old "Help Save Palladium Books" forum that's been locked for two years? Or the board, with no posts in a year, to talk about a game for a platform discontinued eleven years ago?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Mark Hall wrote:While we're at "getting new boards", what about the podcast boards that haven't had a post in two years? Or the ten year old "Help Save Palladium Books" forum that's been locked for two years? Or the board, with no posts in a year, to talk about a game for a platform discontinued eleven years ago?

Don't knock the "Help Save Palladium Books" locked forum. It took us years just to get it locked!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

It's not my sandbox. I just play in it.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

Tiree wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:While we're at "getting new boards", what about the podcast boards that haven't had a post in two years? Or the ten year old "Help Save Palladium Books" forum that's been locked for two years? Or the board, with no posts in a year, to talk about a game for a platform discontinued eleven years ago?

Don't knock the "Help Save Palladium Books" locked forum. It took us years just to get it locked!

Exactly what I was going to say.

On the topic at hand, though, this was in tonight's update...

PALLADIUM BOOKS® WEEKLY UPDATE - 2016-07-08 wrote:UPDATE: Savage Rifts® for Savage Worlds

Excitement continues to run high for Savage Rifts® from Pinnacle Entertainment for the Savage Worlds game system. Palladium is working with Pinnacle to allow fans to create conversions and fan materials on the Palladium website and elsewhere. The official policy will be coming soon.
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
Marcus
Explorer

Unread post by Marcus »

palladiumjunkie wrote:
Tiree wrote:

Exactly what I was going to say.

On the topic at hand, though, this was in tonight's update...

PALLADIUM BOOKS® WEEKLY UPDATE - 2016-07-08 wrote:UPDATE: Savage Rifts® for Savage Worlds

Excitement continues to run high for Savage Rifts® from Pinnacle Entertainment for the Savage Worlds game system. Palladium is working with Pinnacle to allow fans to create conversions and fan materials on the Palladium website and elsewhere. The official policy will be coming soon.

Coming soon. How much I dread the use of these two simple words by PB.
Dear optimists, pessimists, and realists,
While you were all arguing over the glass of water, I just drank it.

Sincerely,
an opportunist.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

"Working to allow?" As if fans doing fan conversions for their favorite RPGs some monumental and unprecedented thing that nobody in the history of RPG fandom has ever dared to dream of before.
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

There is nothing wrong or illegal with fan conversions as long as there's not profit involved.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador

Josh Hilden wrote:There is nothing wrong or illegal with fan conversions as long as there's not profit involved.

Nothing wrong with? I agree.

Nothing illegal? Well... That's not quite true.

I'm a librarian, and I work with copyright issues a lot. One of the things we have to remind people about is that profit doesn't enter into it. Intellectual property can be infringed without a profit being turned by the person doing the infringing, and indeed this happens all the time. Technically, any IP holder has the right to request that outside parties don't use their material in situations that haven't been specifically licensed. In practice, most game companies have permitted it, since it builds healthier communities and acts as free advertising. Palladium is notable (though not unique) in being a company that doesn't permit it.

On the other hand, it was ruled a while back that "rules systems" don't count as intellectual property and can't be copyrighted, only setting material, fiction, and other similar things. This directly led to the boom of the so-called Old School Revolution, where companies would make "retro-clones" of older versions of D&D and release them with new fluff and settings. Technically, you could do the same thing with Palladium's house system, but it probably doesn't have a market for a retro-clone considering it's still being actively published in a form that hasn't really changed in 25+ years.

Short version: It doesn't matter if you're making money from it or not. If the IP holder says "no conversions," then you're technically infringing. (However, let me also say that actual court cases involved in non-profit infringing almost never result in punitive damages or other monetary compensation equivalent to the asked-for damages, so it's not worth it for a company as small as 99% of gaming companies.)
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

The Palladium system isn't retro-cloneable; it's just retro.
Insert 400 character limit here.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Todd Yoho wrote:The Palladium system isn't retro-cloneable; it's just retro.

Yeah I mean what significant changes has the Palladium system even had? They gave characters SDC as well as hit points, they made spellcasting run on PPE, and...
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Rallan wrote:

Yeah I mean what significant changes has the Palladium system even had? They gave characters SDC as well as hit points, they made spellcasting run on PPE, and...

perception. they added perception.

and two attacks for living, which iirc they argue was always a thing.

i'm sure there are a few other things if we take the time to think them up.
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shark_Force wrote:
Rallan wrote:

Pretty well glacial change by any standard in the industry. In that same time, we've had five editions of AD&D, seven editions of Call of Cthulhu, and six editions of RuneQuest--and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head that were around when Palladium started.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

blackwingedheaven wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:
Rallan wrote:

Pretty well glacial change by any standard in the industry. In that same time, we've had five editions of AD&D, seven editions of Call of Cthulhu, and six editions of RuneQuest--and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head that were around when Palladium started.

I think we are on 6 or 7 Editions of Star Wars, between 3 different game companies.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Mack wrote:It's not my sandbox. I just play in it.

:lol:

:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I... shouldn't this have been something sorted out before the campaign went live? During those 6 years of negotiations?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Forar wrote:I... shouldn't this have been something sorted out before the campaign went live? During those 6 years of negotiations?

Yeah... how dare they over look this one thing among the hundreds of legalities involved in bringing Rifts to another system officially... [/sarcasm]
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Forar wrote:I... shouldn't this have been something sorted out before the campaign went live? During those 6 years of negotiations?

More realistically, shouldn't this be something that doesn't even need sorting out in the first place? Nobody else has to run off and get legal advice about whether to let RPG fans post fan conversions or original material on RPG forums.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Rallan wrote:

More realistically, shouldn't this be something that doesn't even need sorting out in the first place? Nobody else has to run off and get legal advice about whether to let RPG fans post fan conversions or original material on RPG forums.
given the fact that PEG has a similar (if slightly less stringent) policy...
no.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Here is a link to the answer Pinnacle posted last year.

Savage World Rifts and Conversions

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

Damian Magecraft wrote:

Yeah... how dare they over look this one thing among the hundreds of legalities involved in bringing Rifts to another system officially... [/sarcasm]

And what was that rudeness in aid of?
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

ScottBernard wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

The PB forums maintaining their reputation?

Truly, I have been told.

;-)
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Forar wrote:
ScottBernard wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

The PB forums maintaining their reputation?

Truly, I have been told.

;-)
considering the comment was the opening salvo in yet another round of how even when PB does something the fans ask for they still can't do it right?
the sarcasm was warranted.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

As a point of order, they haven't done anything but say that it's being worked on.

RRT is also being worked on, and nearly 38 months later let me tell you how comforting it is to hear that something is 'being worked on'.

And poking fun aside, they are the ones who bought up how long it took. If this was a 6 week or 6 month turnaround, sure, things get lost in the shuffle.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I agree with Forar. Them saying it's being worked on does not inspire much confidence. RTT has been being worked on for months and little to no progress on that. Until I actually see a policy on conversions. I'm going to assume that it will take months as well.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

In regards to Savage Rifts, I am waiting on feedback from Kevin. Once I have the ok, I will be putting together a disclaimer of sorts - what sort of conversions can/cannot be posted, questions, etc...
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

One thing I hope will be allowed is there are some really nice character creator programs it would be nice if they are allowed to use the new batch of skills/templates. It is one big strength with savage worlds with the more generic way you do characters its a lot easier to have a character generator.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

Is Savage Rifts out yet?

It looks frikken amazing. Full color...sweet character sheets...modern system. Gonna buy it for sure.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

MurderCityDisciple wrote:Is Savage Rifts out yet?

It looks frikken amazing. Full color...sweet character sheets...modern system. Gonna buy it for sure.

The physical books won't start shipping to backers until around December, and probably be up for pre-order within the next few months. But, the PDFs of the core books have been sent to backers, and they actually went up for sale on DrivethruRPG.com today. Here are the links:

Savage Rifts: The Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide
Savage Rifts: Game Master's Handbook
Savage Rifts: Savage Foes of North America

-Chris

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

3 books...all out at once?

Pdf's?

In color?

Not years late?

No way dude...

palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

MurderCityDisciple wrote:3 books...all out at once?

Pdf's?

In color?

Not years late?

No way dude...

And... if you missed out on the Kickstarter, you can now pre-order from PEG's site. Looks like they are targeting January ship date for pre-orders.

Savage Rifts® Preorder Bundle

-Chris

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

palladiumjunkie wrote:
MurderCityDisciple wrote:3 books...all out at once?

Pdf's?

In color?

Not years late?

No way dude...

And... if you missed out on the Kickstarter, you can now pre-order from PEG's site. Looks like they are targeting January ship date for pre-orders.

Savage Rifts® Preorder Bundle

-Chris

Amazing stuff....

Makes what we're used to look amateurish.

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

kaid wrote:One thing I hope will be allowed is there are some really nice character creator programs it would be nice if they are allowed to use the new batch of skills/templates. It is one big strength with savage worlds with the more generic way you do characters its a lot easier to have a character generator.

I am curious, other than Lone Wolf Development, who else has a Savage Worlds character generator? Does it allow customization by the user?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

NMI wrote:I am curious, other than Lone Wolf Development, who else has a Savage Worlds character generator? Does it allow customization by the user?

There are bunches of them, and that doesn't count the ones that have come out in the last three years.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

There's now basically an "official conversion document" for Savage Worlds to Rifts; has there been any further response as to how fans might address this?
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Anyone playing Savage Rifts?

Your thoughts?
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador

Spinachcat wrote:Anyone playing Savage Rifts?

Your thoughts?

Been running a campaign since the pdfs went to Kickstarter backers. It's been a hell of a lot of fun. It captures all of the gonzo enjoyment of the setting without having to do stuff like having one round of combat take two hours. I've had a couple of players leave for real-life reasons recently, so I've got two new players joining tomorrow. This will be their first real campaign, so I'm excited to see what they think of Rifts.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Steve President George W. Bush wrote:There's now basically an "official conversion document" for Savage Worlds to Rifts; has there been any further response as to how fans might address this?

We are waiting for an official reply.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”