Savage Rifts Kickstarter - April 26th - May 19th

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Savage Rifts Kickstarter - April 26th - May 19th

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Pinnacle Entertainment Group has announced that they'll be doing their Kickstarter for the Savage World version of Rifts.

RIFTS® for Savage Worlds Kickstarter Starts April 26!

This is your save-the-date card for a gaming marriage of massive proportions—RIFTS® for Savage Worlds! That’s right, the gonzo Megaversal adventure of RIFTS® is teaming up with the genre-spanning easy-prep award-winning Savage Worlds system you know and love, and the Kickstarter is running from April 26 to May 19. It’s such a big deal that we’re even running the Kickstarter campaign a week longer than we normally do!

Set aside April 26 on your calendar and come to the RIFTS® for Savage Worlds Kickstarter kick-off. See the backer rewards for players and GMs alike, start reaching the Stretch Goals, and get in on the ground floor of the magic and mayhem!

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Re: Savage Rifts Kickstarter - April 26th - May 19th

Unread post by Razzinold »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Pinnacle Entertainment Group has announced that they'll be doing their Kickstarter for the Savage World version of Rifts.

This is your save-the-date card for a gaming marriage of massive proportions—RIFTS® for Savage Worlds! That’s right, the gonzo Megaversal adventure of RIFTS® is teaming up with the genre-spanning easy-prep award-winning Savage Worlds system you know and love, and the Kickstarter is running from April 26 to May 19. It’s such a big deal that we’re even running the Kickstarter campaign a week longer than we normally do!

Set aside April 26 on your calendar and come to the RIFTS® for Savage Worlds Kickstarter kick-off. See the backer rewards for players and GMs alike, start reaching the Stretch Goals, and get in on the ground floor of the magic and mayhem!

Daniel Stoker

:lol: I've never even heard of Savage Worlds before this proposed team up. Guess I have some reading up to do. Man, I am really out of touch with the gaming world, lol
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Razzinold wrote:
Daniel Stoker wrote:Pinnacle Entertainment Group has announced that they'll be doing their Kickstarter for the Savage World version of Rifts.

Daniel Stoker

:lol: I've never even heard of Savage Worlds before this proposed team up. Guess I have some reading up to do. Man, I am really out of touch with the gaming world, lol

Savage Worlds is fairly big at conventions I go to. You can pretty much do almost anything with it. If you have heard of Deadlands, then you have heard of Savage Worlds. From what I can tell, it's Deadlands core rules that have been upgraded over time to be a more universal system.

So the core game system has been around for years
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I picked up the basic savage world rule book. It seems pretty nice and I can see con play liking it because it is pretty stream lined. In ways I like the more in depth normal palladium rules fits my playstyle a bit better but savage worlds is a nice for people who want something a bit faster play wise. I am hoping they have good conversion rules because one thing the savage world rules do really slick is mass combat anywhere from squad to army to fleet or even planetary scale conflicts. This is one issue I tend to have with the normal palladium system is if I get into a really big furball fight it can bog down a bit. Some of that is me not being the best GM but when I tried to do some three galaxy fleet battles it took a LONG time to play out for me. So even having this around for the big scale stuff would be nice if it converts well.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

I went to a local con this weekend (Redford Michigan) and there were tons of Savage Worlds games (and Pathfinder, heck even a West End Dr. Who game) going on, sadly not a peep from Palladium...maybe the new system can revive and rejuvenate the bloated, sagging and forgotten Rifts, from relative obscurity.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:I went to a local con this weekend (Redford Michigan) and there were tons of Savage Worlds games (and Pathfinder, heck even a West End Dr. Who game) going on, sadly not a peep from Palladium...maybe the new system can revive and rejuvenate the bloated, sagging and forgotten Rifts, from relative obscurity.

Even though I would not describe the system the same way. I do echo the sentiments for all the Con's I go to. I am just amazed at how little presence Palladium has.

One person told me almost two decades ago (as a shop owner of RPG's): Rifts is the game that everyone owns, but nobody plays. It appeals to the collector nature of gamers, and like Pokemon, you got to collect them all! Which is not a sustainable market for business.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

while you may not feel like rifts (and the palladium system in general) has any rules problems (and i'm going to suggest that you largely don't think so because you've gotten so used to your own houserules that you don't even think of them as houserules any more), the great majority of the RPG community does.

in fact, if i had to sum up what i hear most often about palladium from other gamers (or at least, those that know who palladium is), it would probably be "the world is awesome, but i can't stand the rules". so really, getting the world out there but with different rules could be a very good thing for palladium. chances are, if there isn't a lot of palladium presence at cons, it's because there's a lot fewer requests for palladium presence (unless you mean staff rather than just random groups playing games, in which case it probably has more to do with the fact that palladium staff are just busy doing other things). you may like it, and i may like it (otherwise i wouldn't spend time on these forums), but a lot of people don't. palladium would be far from the first company to struggle because they're making a great product that isn't what people want.
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

Shark_Force wrote:while you may not feel like rifts (and the palladium system in general) has any rules problems (and i'm going to suggest that you largely don't think so because you've gotten so used to your own houserules that you don't even think of them as houserules any more), the great majority of the RPG community does.

Don't get me wrong - I am critical of Palladium Books, It's Games, It's Rules, It's Art, and It's writing.

I stated, I just wouldn't describe the system the same way. Which really means, I wouldn't use the exact same words. The points are valid, I just would have been a bit more tactful in the way to describe it.

A new system, I would hope provide some needed life into Palladium's IP. I fear that it may be a little too late.

I brought this up to my FLGS and he didn't even know it was happening. And he's up to date on quite a bit of Gaming Material, not to mention big into Kickstarters.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

What killed it for me an RIFTS is the lack of vision and lack of actual scenarios.

Instead we get more books that are just toy catalogs, some new background material on whatever the new book is pushing and of course more OCC's.

What about actual scenario or massive campaign books?

Instead we get new gun and mech art with new stats added. Bloat.

Savage Worlds hopefully will go back to basics.

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Savage Rifts is a good thing, but I don't know if it will help Palladium in the long run.

I believe a D6 and a D20 conversion would be better as PB would control and own that conversions vs. this SW project which will belong to Pinnacle.

Hopefully the SW Rifts will offer enough of a toolkit for SW players to do their own conversions from Palladium books, thus entice them to become PB customers.

My first project will be a Savage Chaos Rifts as I often enjoy playing during the Apocalypse more than afterwards.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

palladium will still get paid for the license, and pinnacle has indicated they won't be including nearly as much information about the world (so if you want to know about atlantis, or whatever, beyond presumably a limited description, you'll need to buy the book for information on locations, named NPCs, etc).

@ murdercitydisciple: they did massive campaign books. they might very well be some of the most divisive books palladium ever made, and the general consensus (inasmuch as there can be said to be a consensus) is that the siege on tolkeen series had a lot of things that annoyed everyone (and everyone is annoyed by different things in them).

apart from that, they also relatively recently released the whole megaverse in flames series of books.

as for adventures, they're probably a few hundred books behind where kevin thought he'd be 10 years ago as far as sourcebooks. but in any event, i can't really see palladium premade adventures working nearly as well without a lot of tweaking. simply put, there's just too much variation to make it work. a group of a glitter boy, a hatchling dragon, a shifter, and a full conversion combat 'borg simply don't have remotely the same tools, and won't be challenged by the same things, as a group of a wild psi-stalker, cyber-knight, rogue scholar, and vagabond, and yet both of those are totally legitimate adventuring groups in rifts. unless every adventure comes with premade characters, i suppose, but then it's a lot harder to get excited because you'll play a few sessions with that character and then they're basically gone forever. not to mention with palladium's typical production rate, you'd get the first one, and then 4 years ago you'd be wondering where the second adventure you were promised would be released "in a few months" went, anyways.

but, since you asked for a palladium adventure, ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/cla ... 4435.phtml

just go right on ahead and track that thing down. i don't promise you won't regret it though :P
yanko128
D-Bee

Unread post by yanko128 »

Spinachcat wrote:Savage Rifts is a good thing, but I don't know if it will help Palladium in the long run.

I believe a D6 and a D20 conversion would be better as PB would control and own that conversions vs. this SW project which will belong to Pinnacle.

Hopefully the SW Rifts will offer enough of a toolkit for SW players to do their own conversions from Palladium books, thus entice them to become PB customers.

My first project will be a Savage Chaos Rifts as I often enjoy playing during the Apocalypse more than afterwards.

It is probably for the best that PB does not have control of this project. I don't want another Robotech debacle, and I have zero faith in PB to pull of a project like that.

I also do not think PB will benefit much from this, other than licensing fees. Rifts books are available cheaply on Amazon. And a lot of people, at first at least, will be Rifts fans who abandoned the game because of PB policies.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

Shark_Force wrote:palladium will still get paid for the license, and pinnacle has indicated they won't be including nearly as much information about the world (so if you want to know about atlantis, or whatever, beyond presumably a limited description, you'll need to buy the book for information on locations, named NPCs, etc).

@ murdercitydisciple: they did massive campaign books. they might very well be some of the most divisive books palladium ever made, and the general consensus (inasmuch as there can be said to be a consensus) is that the siege on tolkeen series had a lot of things that annoyed everyone (and everyone is annoyed by different things in them).

apart from that, they also relatively recently released the whole megaverse in flames series of books.

as for adventures, they're probably a few hundred books behind where kevin thought he'd be 10 years ago as far as sourcebooks. but in any event, i can't really see palladium premade adventures working nearly as well without a lot of tweaking. simply put, there's just too much variation to make it work. a group of a glitter boy, a hatchling dragon, a shifter, and a full conversion combat 'borg simply don't have remotely the same tools, and won't be challenged by the same things, as a group of a wild psi-stalker, cyber-knight, rogue scholar, and vagabond, and yet both of those are totally legitimate adventuring groups in rifts. unless every adventure comes with premade characters, i suppose, but then it's a lot harder to get excited because you'll play a few sessions with that character and then they're basically gone forever. not to mention with palladium's typical production rate, you'd get the first one, and then 4 years ago you'd be wondering where the second adventure you were promised would be released "in a few months" went, anyways.

but, since you asked for a palladium adventure, ask and ye shall receive:

just go right on ahead and track that thing down. i don't promise you won't regret it though :P

I have Lancer's Rockers...I bought it when it first came out. It's brilliant!!

Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:but, since you asked for a palladium adventure, ask and ye shall receive:

I have Lancer's Rockers...I bought it when it first came out. It's brilliant!!

I find the Black Market Sourcebook to be arguably one of their worst books printed in recent history. The artwork is tremendous, some of the concepts are okay. But when the Black Market, after years of studying footage figures out "If you fire 4 missiles at a target... THEY CAN'T DODGE!" I went, really? The Black market is that smart, not the CS, or even Archie?!?!
Primeval Atom
Newb

Unread post by Primeval Atom »

I play RIFTs back in the last millennium lol
After having kids I stop playing
I kept some of my books but I got ready of many who I didn't want my kids seeing
Now I try introducing them to RPG and found out Savage World table top RPG to be fun, fast to learn and teach.
Very exited to pledge for Savage Rifts - good decition Kevin.
RIFTS may be dead for the next generation of attention deficit kids lol but the new Savage Rifts will warranty its survival into the next generation ;)
yanko128
D-Bee

Primeval Atom wrote:I play RIFTs back in the last millennium lol
After having kids I stop playing
I kept some of my books but I got ready of many who I didn't want my kids seeing
Now I try introducing them to RPG and found out Savage World table top RPG to be fun, fast to learn and teach.
Very exited to pledge for Savage Rifts - good decition Kevin.
RIFTS may be dead for the next generation of attention deficit kids lol but the new Savage Rifts will warranty its survival into the next generation ;)

The problem is not attention deficit kids. The problem is that there are games out there that are playable out of the box. There is a difference between tinkering with the game because you want to add cool stuff to it, and tinkering with the game to make it function. In this day and age, cool setting is not enough. Plenty of games have cool settings. Working rules is the hard part, and a part that PB has failed horribly at.

Also, thanks to Kevin's crusade against fan content online, PB has no online presence. And if you find the website, and see something that looked good in 1999, you will probably look for something else.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

I will most likely be picking this up.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

They did a few sneak peaks and it looks like 15 dollars for PDF main book and 45 for the player book/gm book and gm inserts and an adventure. Curious what the prices of the dead tree copy levels are.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

kaid wrote:They did a few sneak peaks and it looks like 15 dollars for PDF main book and 45 for the player book/gm book and gm inserts and an adventure. Curious what the prices of the dead tree copy levels are.

Keep in mind those are the KS prices but...
From what I have seen based on their other products I would venture a guess of not much more than the PDF. (On their own store site if you buy the physical book you get the pdf thrown in for something like 5usd.)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
kaid wrote:They did a few sneak peaks and it looks like 15 dollars for PDF main book and 45 for the player book/gm book and gm inserts and an adventure. Curious what the prices of the dead tree copy levels are.

Keep in mind those are the KS prices but...
From what I have seen based on their other products I would venture a guess of not much more than the PDF. (On their own store site if you buy the physical book you get the pdf thrown in for something like 5usd.)

The normal savage worlds game book was reasonably priced when I got it last year. Unlike some companies at least it looks like they are not doing the 30-40 per book+ prices some game companies do. Its one reason I like palladium as well they ignored the push for some of the stupidly pricey books some companies did.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I hate to break it for some but the 30-40$ price range on rpgs is the industry standard. In some cases more. PB can keep their prices low because of low production values, Black and white art. While looking like it's something that came out of of a 80s rpg time capsule imo. I think some on the hobby need to understand. One will not get high production values. Full color art. Gloss paper the works at 1980s era pricing. Or to put it another way. Your not going to get tommorows rpgs now at yesterday prices.

I'm hoping this succeeds. As I really am interested in see what Pinnalce will do.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

It will go live in less than 4 hours! Noon EST.
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

ffranceschi wrote:It will go live in less than 4 hours! Noon EST.

I'll miss the very start of the KS because I'll be at lunch with my wife, but here's my prediction: By the time I get back to the office at 1pm, the thing will have already funded, and probably reached the first stretch goal. =3
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
Leonardo T Dragon
D-Bee

Unread post by Leonardo T Dragon »

blackwingedheaven wrote:
ffranceschi wrote:It will go live in less than 4 hours! Noon EST.

I'll miss the very start of the KS because I'll be at lunch with my wife, but here's my prediction: By the time I get back to the office at 1pm, the thing will have already funded, and probably reached the first stretch goal. =3

Here's hoping! I've been a Palladium player since the late 1980's and I'd love to see Rifts return as a game that people actively talk about and play. Around here, I'm the only person who runs Rifts anymore and that's only with players who've been playing forever. The setting has fallen so far off of the radar anymore that a whole generation of gamers is completely unaware of its existence.

With a cleaner set of rules, it could be a contender once more.

Is it Noon EST yet?!!!
Daily GIJoe news, Reviews, and more...
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

lol I have been hitting refresh on my screen for a while - I might just be super interested in this :)

Today is all about getting the Savage Rifts Game! (7 minutes!)

Tomorrow I'll be back to eagerly awaiting the CS Heroes book lol
Dan Frederick
Leonardo T Dragon
D-Bee

Unread post by Leonardo T Dragon »

Fell wrote:lol I have been hitting refresh on my screen for a while - I might just be super interested in this :)

I keep searching on Kickstarter for it but nothing's live yet. Do we have a URL? Dammit-- FIVE MINUTES!
Daily GIJoe news, Reviews, and more...
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Leonardo T Dragon wrote:
Fell wrote:lol I have been hitting refresh on my screen for a while - I might just be super interested in this :)

I keep searching on Kickstarter for it but nothing's live yet. Do we have a URL? Dammit-- FIVE MINUTES!

basic search - no url yet

UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/54 ... n=e38ccc40
Dan Frederick
Daniel Stoker
Knight

And 12 minutes in and they've reached their first stretch goal of $15,000 Maps for Everyone! We’ll give all backers a copy of ALL THREE map sets in PDF.

Daniel Stoker
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Daniel Stoker wrote:And 12 minutes in and they've reached their first stretch goal of $15,000 Maps for Everyone! We’ll give all backers a copy of ALL THREE map sets in PDF.

Daniel Stoker

30 minutes in and and we are already past the 40k reward level. Guessing they are going to have to have some fun figuring out other rewards it looks like its going to be that kind of kick starter vrroooom.
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

I said I was being conservative with my estimate, but I was apparently being really conservative. By the time I got back from lunch, they were over $50K, and they're up past $80K now, only two hours into this whole thing. Kudos to everyone involved!
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

blackwingedheaven wrote:I said I was being conservative with my estimate, but I was apparently being really conservative. By the time I got back from lunch, they were over $50K, and they're up past $80K now, only two hours into this whole thing. Kudos to everyone involved!

Looks like its going to hit 100k before end of the work day and probably a lot more as people get home tonight.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

kaid wrote:
blackwingedheaven wrote:I said I was being conservative with my estimate, but I was apparently being really conservative. By the time I got back from lunch, they were over $50K, and they're up past $80K now, only two hours into this whole thing. Kudos to everyone involved!

Looks like its going to hit 100k before end of the work day and probably a lot more as people get home tonight.

At 98,463, I would certainly say that's a VERY good bet to make.
I'm in for the course as well.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Took about a minute to fund, so really looking great for them. When I picked my backing option there were 9 backers. When I was done there was 198. That only took a few seconds.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Whelp it blew past the 100k mark looks like its on a good course to make a really healthy kick starter. I am curious what further backer levels will be I am not sure they were guessing their average backer would be dumping about 100$ per person.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

Wow...says the PDF's will be out in June.
98% done!!

ahem...

Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Shawn Merrow wrote:Took about a minute to fund, so really looking great for them. When I picked my backing option there were 9 backers. When I was done there was 198. That only took a few seconds.

I saw that. I saw 1 backer then 190+

Then the whole thing exploded :)
Dan Frederick
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

The potential of Palladium property is enormous!!! I am really happy about this turn of events...this KS should reach $300.000 at least...I hope. And after that...Savage SPLICERS :)
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

In now, over 1000 backers, over 130K. This could be Palaldium's second straight 1M plus KS.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:Wow...says the PDF's will be out in June.
98% done!!

ahem...

Too soon! Too soon!

Jefffar wrote:In now, over 1000 backers, over 130K. This could be Palaldium's second straight 1M plus KS.

Would it really be "Palladium's second 1M plus KS"?

The PEG folks have been very clear that it's *their* show. It'd be nice to have PB's name attached to a successful campaign in any way, shape, or form, but I wouldn't say that RRT was "a 1M+ Harmony Gold campaign".
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I'd give HG and ND a share of the credit on the RRT Kickstarter too. It's not like it happened without them.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
yanko128
D-Bee

Jefffar wrote:In now, over 1000 backers, over 130K. This could be Palaldium's second straight 1M plus KS.

Would it really be "Palladium's second 1M plus KS"?

The PEG folks have been very clear that it's *their* show. It'd be nice to have PB's name attached to a successful campaign in any way, shape, or form, but I wouldn't say that RRT was "a 1M+ Harmony Gold campaign".[/quote]

Agree, I do not think it would be nearly as successful if PB was running it. That is not to say it would not be successful, but not anywhere close to what it is now. After all PB has a well deserved reputation for not delivering product on time, or ever.
Diamond_Spear
D-Bee

Unread post by Diamond_Spear »

The Kickstarter is wildly succeeding in spite of Palladium's involvement not because of it. I've never seen the Savage Worlds core book and I backed the Kickstarter because while I love Rifts the Palladium rule set is such an unplayable mess I haven't even tried to run a game of Rifts in years. June can not arrive soon enough.
"If nothing we do matters, then the only thing that matters is what we do."

My country, the United States of America, died at 10:15 a.m. on June 28th, 2012. R.I.P.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Comparing it to other SW kick starters, I'd say it's wildly succeeding because of Palladium's popular and well developed property. It seems like that, mixed with a fairly low on the number crunch system, will make a good mix.
Sureshot
Champion

I really wish Kevin would do a Kickstarter to update Rifts. As those who dislike the System are just going to get the SW version imo. Those like myself could go either way. I just don't suddenly see a huge influx of new players to the current system.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Thyne O'Rouke
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Thyne O'Rouke »

Well Savage Worlds is a different system.Back in 2012 at GENCON, Savage World Deluxe won a Gold ENnie for Best Game of the Year, and the system had been lauded with a GAMA Award a few years before then. Over the years, many small press publishers have created a wide range of products under the Savage World license, touching on nearly every RPG genre imaginable. Savage Worlds is a “generic” role-playing game system, designed to allow GMs and players to utilize any genre and campaign setting of their choosing. The Deluxe rulebook comes complete with rules for character generation and advancement, including races, skills, edges, hindrances, and powers, along with a wide offering of Gear for fantasy, science fiction, and modern settings. The character generation system, skill resolution, and combat system are easy to understand and quick to learn, yet have a decent level of complexity once the players and GM get to know it well.
yay, even more madness to put in my little black book ^^ all hail the little black book.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Well they've released a preview of the Glitter Boy and announced their updated stretch goals:

New Stretch Goals

Your incredible support has already unlocked a bunch of the additional Stretch Goals we had planned! You'll see those unlocked in the list below already. Thanks SO MUCH for spreading the word, backing us, and even helping playtest Savage Rifts® at conventions around the country. :)

Now on to the new material we're already working on and hope to create if the project continues to grow!

UNLOCKED! $50,000 D-Bee: Altara Warrior Woman We'll give you the race information for playing a Blind Warrior Woman gone rogue from the Atlantean Splugorth Slavers. (PDF)

UNLOCKED! $60,000 NG-V7 Block IV Hunter Mobile Gun Full stats and description for this powerful upgrade to one of Northern Gun's more famous Robot Armor vehicles. (PDF)

UNLOCKED! $70,000 D-Bee: Simvan The Monster Riders are a powerful threat to many who live in North America, but they can also be powerful allies. We’ll give you the race information for you to add to the Iconic Framework of your choice. (PDF)

UNLOCKED! $80,000 X535 Hunter Robot Armor The venerable "Jager" is a popular and powerful option for your Robot Armor Pilot. (PDF)

UNLOCKED! $90,000 D-Bee: Grackle Tooth Race information for playing one of the more beloved Rifts® D-Bees, the Mighty Grackle Tooth! (PDF)

UNLOCKED! $100,000 Playing a Dog Boy by Sean Patrick Fannon Fierce warriors and loyal friends, Dog Boys represent science-gone-wrong, yet somehow turned right. We’ll cover creating and playing a Dog Boy in Savage Rifts®. (PDF)

UNLOCKED! $110,000 D-Bee: D'Norr The D'Norr "Devil People" are a much misunderstood, often maligned D-Bee race, but there's a lot of fun potential in playing one. (PDF)

UNLOCKED! $120,000 T-10 Cyclops Body Armor Possibly Triax's ultimate contribution to personal defense technology, the Cyclops has all kinds of modular options for various mission profiles. (PDF)

UNLOCKED! $130,000 Northern Gun Weapons Cache A nice collection of the arms manufacturer's best, including the NG-IP7 Ion Pulse Rifle and the NG-B50 Thunderer BigBore Combat Hammer. (PDF)

UNLOCKED! $140,000 D-Bee: Fennodi The "Quiet Walkers" are a peaceful, inherently psionic race who generally do all they can to make their new home a better place. (PDF)

UNLOCKED! $150,000 Bookmarks! Each physical backer reward level (Print Player, Ultimate Player, "Just the Books" GM, Print GM, Merchant, and Everything GM) receives a set of four handy bookmarks featuring art from Savage Rifts®! (Print)

UNLOCKED! $160,000 Northern Gun Body Armor Set A set of three specially designed sets of Body Armor from Northern Gun: the Cannonball Ride Armor, the NG Maverick Riding Armor, and the NG Peacekeeper Armor. (PDF)

$170,000 D-Bee: Trimadore These odd-looking, generally peaceful humanoids are a race with a strong fascination with and affinity for technology. (PDF)

$180,000 Triax Weapons Cache Some of the best New German Republic engineering is found in this set of weapons, including the TX-22 Precision Laser Pistol and the TX-50 Rail Gun. (PDF)

$190,000 V61 Gunwolf Robot Armor One of Northern Gun's more evocative designs, complete with the wolf head, designed for monster hunting. (PDF)

$200,000 Tomorrow Legion Archetypes II We'll make a whole new set of fully fleshed out archetypes incorporating the new races and equipment you've unlocked (PDF)

Future Stretch Goal

One of the upcoming Stretch Goals somewhere above the $200K mark is a character folio (in PDF for everyone and print for those with print reward levels), so you can record all the details and adventures of your Juicer, Crazy, or other Iconic Framework!

Daniel Stoker
Sureshot
Champion

I love the art. I wish PB could do the same. Black and white is all good but the color illustrations just make it more dynamic to me at least.

Enlightened Grognard

sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

The art I've seen has been good, but Palladium has an excellent stable of regular artists and I've seen nothing yet that's up there with classic Long, or Walton or Perez et al; colour or no.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Sureshot wrote:I love the art. I wish PB could do the same. Black and white is all good but the color illustrations just make it more dynamic to me at least.

The color art is nice but it adds both time and cost palladium has done a good job keeping the price of even big supplements to super reasonable levels. A lot of full color RPG books are either smaller format such as many of the savage world books or 30-40 bucks per book almost everybody else.
Sureshot
Champion

kaid wrote:The color art is nice but it adds both time and cost palladium has done a good job keeping the price of even big supplements to super reasonable levels. A lot of full color RPG books are either smaller format such as many of the savage world books or 30-40 bucks per book almost everybody else.

I rather pay 30-40$ for better production values and color art. Which by the way is the industry standard for most if almost all current rpg companies. I get they want to keep the cost of their books down. That does cost them in terms of fans. I know a few who won't even look at a PB product even with the cheaper price. As they hate the low production values.

Enlightened Grognard

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”