Dead Language Skills

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Dead Language Skills

Unread post by barna10 »

How do you handle PCs with Dead Language skills in your games. I'm hesitant to require the player to waste one slot per "Dead Language" since it's more of a back ground skill than something that's going to affect game play. I am thinking of allowing the skill choice to apply to a family of dead languages (like Ancient Germanic Languages (which includes Old English), or Classical Languages (Latin, Greek, etc.)

What do you think?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Dead Language Skills

Unread post by Bill »

No skill on the sheet is guaranteed to come into play. The player can take ancient Akkadian at his or her own risk. I like to work stuff like that into the game though, so it's less of a risk if I'm running the session.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Dead Language Skills

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Depends on the backstory of the character. If the char is "from the past" they will have the language as spoken at the time. But if they are a 'modern speaker' they will have a limited in speed of reading and speaking but have similar understanding.

I have a HU Alien char which has the Roman Lang/lit because it was in the "Earth Languages" learning package she bought when she decided to come to earth to settle down after a living the spacer's life.

Yah, had to fill out a lang program after picking english and french so picked out a language that would be thought to be a current earth language by cultures not in the same quadrant. So I added a bit of character to the skills list. As it's turned out the char ended up in a non-profit medical clinic as par of her legal residency deal, so she understands the latin medical names in generality (if not specifics) then the doctors & nurses working the clinic.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”