Looking for help in making a Healer character

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Looking for help in making a Healer character

Unread post by Glistam »

I had an idea to put together a character who was a good "Healer" kind of character for an S.D.C. game. As I looked through the books I didn't feel the options really were the best for what I was looking for, so I thought I'd come here to collect some ideas. Here's some of the guidelines I'm looking at:

1. The character needs to not be tied to gods for his/her abilities. This rules out Priests and similar classes who must worship or pray for their abilities.
  2. The character needs to have skill-based healing ability (preferably both Holistic Medicine and the version of Medical Doctor which exists in the main book the character is from).
  3. The character needs to have powers or abilities that allow them to actually heal people instantly or in a very short time frame - these can be but are not limited to inherent powers, psionics, magic spells, or any combination thereof.
    • Preferably magic, as I'd like to take advantage of this list of healing (or related) magic spells I compiled some years ago, but I'll entertain other ideas too.
  4. Ideally, the character has healing powers that can be used in combat, but this isn't strictly necessary.
  5. Though the character will respect life and may seem pacifistic at times, that must remain solely a RP decision and thus any race or class described as a pacifist cannot be chosen.

So far my top three contenders are:
  • A Heroes Unlimited Mystic Study with magic spells oriented towards healing, and the Masters (or higher) education level which lets the Medical Doctor program be taken.
    • Pretty straight forward. Good magic selection and good magic acquisition. No option for the addition of healing psionics or other powers though.
    • The Kaech Ne Tobru from the Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide are an intriguing optional version to this option also.
  • A Palladium Fantasy Half-Wizard Scholar/Healer with magic spells oriented towards healing and an "Insatiable Desire to Learn" as per page 97 of Rifts World Book 13: Lone Star.
    • Major Psionics could be an added option for this one as well, with the focus on Healing Psionics, but it already feels like it's combining a lot of things and I wasn't too happy that I needed to pull in Rifts rules in order to give the character a secondary skill progression and a Hand to Hand combat style.
    • If major psionics are added: Attack Disease, Deaden Pain, Healing Touch, Increased Healing, Induce Sleep, Lust for Life, Psychic Purification, Psychic Surgery.
  • A Rifts Body Fixer, with either major psionics or super powers.
    • Same major psionics option as per the Half-Wizard, above.
    • If super powers, the following: Divine Healing (Major, PU1), Healing Touch (Minor, PU1), Living Anatomy (Minor, PU1), Grant Powers (Major, PU3), Super-Regeneration (Major, PU3).
    • The Amana R.C.C. from D-Bees of North America is an interesting option, but since they are pacifists that option was ruled out.

I know this isn't an area the Palladium System really excels in, and that by ruling out Priests from the onset I'm only limiting it further, but I'm hopeful that there are some really cool ideas out there that I'm just not aware of which could make this all work.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Looking for help in making a Healer character

Unread post by say652 »

Aside from the obvious psionics.

Is there any powers that allow you to share abilities with other people.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

say652 wrote:Aside from the obvious psionics.

Is there any powers that allow you to share abilities with other people.

Yes, it's listed in the third option I was looking at, under the super powers:
Glistam wrote:So far my top three contenders are:
  • A Rifts Body Fixer, with either major psionics or super powers.
    • Same major psionics option as per the Half-Wizard, above.
    • If super powers, the following: Divine Healing (Major, PU1), Healing Touch (Minor, PU1), Living Anatomy (Minor, PU1), Grant Powers (Major, PU3), Super-Regeneration (Major, PU3).

The super power option here would let the character have three different "powered" ways to heal someone: through Divine Healing, through Healing Touch, and through Grant Powers giving either Super Regeneration or Divine Healing to someone for 3 minutes per level.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So by combining Grant powers and Multiple Lives,that should fix most ailments.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

say652 wrote:So by combining Grant powers and Multiple Lives,that should fix most ailments.

Not quite. The granted powers only last for 3 minutes per level. So unless Multiple Lives allows the user to be reborn in that time frame, it will not be a viable solution. Additionally, Multiple Lives only works a set number of times before it no longer is usable. Not to mention... I want to make a healer character, not a resurrection machine. I want a character who can prevent people from dying more than I want a character who can make dead characters better.

Thanks, though.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

biomancer could work i think. you'd need to adapt a lot of their creations to SDC though. but i understand in lemuria they have some pretty crazy healing spells. wouldn't necessarily be an MD, but major psionics is very easy to fit in and psychic surgery is basically all you need for that. and of course you have the healing touch.

alternately, an astral mage can pretty much research whatever the heck kind of spells you want (and practice whatever skills you want), because all it takes is time and the astral mage gets a little over 2000 times as much time as anyone else. they also have access to "any" medical skills (actually, they just get access to all skills in general, no restrictions whatsoever). and can give themselves at-will use of a variety of useful spells that are not available for them to research while they're in their astral domain (which can be accessed through the doors of an ambulance, if you like :P )

you will need to come up with a reason why your astral mage is not on the astral plane enjoying eternal youth, of course.

(note: a channeler buddy is highly recommended so you don't get stuck in research mode. research rules can be found in through the glass, darkly - a nightbane book. astral mage can be found in between the shadows - also a nightbane book)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Alt.....Multiple Selves with divine Healing or Healing power. Tag Team healing.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Shark_Force wrote:biomancer could work i think. you'd need to adapt a lot of their creations to SDC though. but i understand in lemuria they have some pretty crazy healing spells. wouldn't necessarily be an MD, but major psionics is very easy to fit in and psychic surgery is basically all you need for that. and of course you have the healing touch.

alternately, an astral mage can pretty much research whatever the heck kind of spells you want (and practice whatever skills you want), because all it takes is time and the astral mage gets a little over 2000 times as much time as anyone else. they also have access to "any" medical skills (actually, they just get access to all skills in general, no restrictions whatsoever). and can give themselves at-will use of a variety of useful spells that are not available for them to research while they're in their astral domain (which can be accessed through the doors of an ambulance, if you like :P )

you will need to come up with a reason why your astral mage is not on the astral plane enjoying eternal youth, of course.

(note: a channeler buddy is highly recommended so you don't get stuck in research mode. research rules can be found in through the glass, darkly - a nightbane book. astral mage can be found in between the shadows - also a nightbane book)

Biomancer sounds like it would better than the Astral Mage... I'll try to get a hold of Lemuria to look through their stuff. Thanks!

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The jungle elf from south America would be a great place to start, has psionics and magic powers from rcc plus gets to pick an occ.

Anti tech but they don't need it.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

This was the background story I wrote a few years ago that inspired this character. It could use a revision, but the basic idea would remain the same:
Spoiler:
Her frail form lay on the bed, unmoving. To the casual observer it would appear as if she were still - as if merciful death had at last claimed her. But the man sitting by her bed knew better. He was close enough to see and hear her shallow, rasping breaths. He felt the weak compress of her hand acknowledging his when he clasped it. He saw the tiny flutters of her eyelids, betraying consciousness.

Slowly, with effort, she turned her head towards him. She opened her eyes to stare at the man beside her for what she knew would be the last time. Drawing in a painful breath, she spoke to him in a whisper.

"You did your best. But it's time for me to go."

He narrowed his eyes in concentration. "I helped the others, I thought I'd have time to help you too. Please, it can't be too late. There has to be something else I can do-"

He stopped when he saw the tears in her eyes. Gingerly he reached over and wiped them away for her.

"No," she said, so quietly he had to lean over to hear. "Sometimes you can't save everyone."

He stared at her with determination burning in his eyes. "How can I accept that," he asked, "If I don't even try?"

But she didn't get to hear his question. Her breathing slowed, then came to a stop. Her dead eyes stared at him now soullessly. Carefully, the man closed her eyes. His own eyes were blurry with the tears he had held back this whole time.

"Goodbye, sis." He whispered to the now empty room. The room filled with the sound of his quiet sobbing.

Brayon
Explorer

Unread post by Brayon »

In our Hero's Unlimited game, we had an NPC that could heal people by touch. Side effect, was that he had to eat to keep his metabolism up. He could also, siphon HP/S.D.C. from people, & transfer it others. Was great when you have a "Wolverine" style with a massive Healing Factor who was the source.

I believe he could do 200 HP/S.D.C at First Level, + 100 per level after that. This was a Per day cap. Took 1 Action to heal someone, up to 20 points. (We had a Mega-Hero with a crap ton of HP). For Siphoning HPs, he could triple his daily amount.
Side Effect: More he healed, the More he Ate. Bowl Movements, & Gas was highly repulsive. Slept on average 8-10 hours a night. Would sleep more, if he "capped out" on healing.
He personally had Extraordinary P.E. & the Basic Healing factor active at all times, for himself, that did not tax the above. He was also a trained Medical Doctor.

Not sure where the GM got the power from, or if it was a Homebrewed one. I saw something similiar in one of the Powers unlimited books. Also, the eating ability is in the same book.
"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I'd strongly suggest looking at Rifts: England. Some of the mystic herbology OCCs come with pretty impressive healing powers, up to a light restoration of small body parts. Throw in major psionics for healing and you've got a fairly potent healer character. I made something like this a couple of years back, a Scathach. You could make your character even more focused on healing by being a Dryad. By saving up healing herbology food, drinks, poultices, and wands, you can have a pretty decent insta-cure trauma kit character.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Hotrod wrote:I'd strongly suggest looking at Rifts: England. Some of the mystic herbology OCCs come with pretty impressive healing powers, up to a light restoration of small body parts. Throw in major psionics for healing and you've got a fairly potent healer character. I made something like this a couple of years back, a Scathach. You could make your character even more focused on healing by being a Dryad. By saving up healing herbology food, drinks, poultices, and wands, you can have a pretty decent insta-cure trauma kit character.

I'll give the classes in England another look, thanks!

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Glistam wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:biomancer could work i think. you'd need to adapt a lot of their creations to SDC though. but i understand in lemuria they have some pretty crazy healing spells. wouldn't necessarily be an MD, but major psionics is very easy to fit in and psychic surgery is basically all you need for that. and of course you have the healing touch.

Biomancer sounds like it would better than the Astral Mage... I'll try to get a hold of Lemuria to look through their stuff. Thanks!

Biomancer would be a good choice. The lemurian ones are not only one of the best magical healers I have seen they have a lot of high end medical skills for treating injury in more mundane fashion.

They also as they gain skills can get access to probably the most powerful heal spell in the game. I forget the name but basically if there is any living bit of you yet it will fully restore you to full health/body. It can fix juicers and even full conversion borgs to turn them back into their normal perfectly health form.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

There is one more very potent approach that you could take: Crystal Magic from Palladium Fantasy's Island at the Edge of the World. With the right crystal devices, you can cure insanity (100% effective/permanent, no permanent ISP expenditure, requires a Controller Star), do most healing powers at a reduced cost with no meditation times (healing wand), perform area-of-effect healings/stop bleedings/negate poisons/+50% save vs coma/death (Crystal staff), and even resurrection/restoration/fountain of youth (crystal goblet). If you had all four of those devices and the requisite ISP, then you'd be an immensely powerful healer. A GM could use the acquisition of such devices as a means of character advancement and plot development.

I have England handy. Nonmagical herbology can relieve and treat all kinds of normal ailments. Mystic herbology can do a lot:
-give restoration to small appendages like fingers, noses, etc and can re-attach recently severed limbs.
-cure magically-caused insanity.
-cure and prevent all intoxicating effects of alcohol.
-negate poison
-cure magic/alien diseases.
-negate/reverse the effects of faerie food
-induce sleep.

With some alien plants, mystic herbology can produce some additional powerful healing effects:
-cure a vampire's bite
-cure all types of blood disease, including leukemia.
-turn stone to flesh or temporary immunity to petrification

Finally, you should remember the Millennium tree gifts of healing. They may be available to everyone, but I think that a tree would be particularly inclined to be generous to a healer.

To go with your original concept, if I wanted a multiple-means healer who could provide some other useful combat/support abilities, I'd go with one of the druid classes from England with major psionics (including Object Read, if crystal magic might be part of your game universe). I prefer the Scathach myself, as they can create any of the mystic herbology items, a bunch of useful wood/iron tools, and create/apply herbal medicine (the mystic herbology skill is an umbrella skill that includes holistic medicine).

I created just such a character a couple years ago for a fantasy SDC setting; he was a mystic smith/craftsman first, a healer second, and a reluctant, but fairly effective fighter third. His great weakness was his M.A. of 2; I interpreted this as a major speech impediment: a stutter so bad that he's almost incomprehensible. Think of the opening scene of The King's Speech, but dialed up. As a result, he resigned himself to staying mute, and had to use either hand gestures/sign language or the written word. I've still got him, and I'm hoping that some day I get the chance to roleplay him.

PM me with your email if you'd like to see the background and stats of that character.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Hotrod wrote:There is one more very potent approach that you could take: Crystal Magic from Palladium Fantasy's Island at the Edge of the World. With the right crystal devices, you can cure insanity (100% effective/permanent, no permanent ISP expenditure, requires a Controller Star), do most healing powers at a reduced cost with no meditation times (healing wand), perform area-of-effect healings/stop bleedings/negate poisons/+50% save vs coma/death (Crystal staff), and even resurrection/restoration/fountain of youth (crystal goblet). If you had all four of those devices and the requisite ISP, then you'd be an immensely powerful healer. A GM could use the acquisition of such devices as a means of character advancement and plot development.

I have England handy. Nonmagical herbology can relieve and treat all kinds of normal ailments. Mystic herbology can do a lot:
-give restoration to small appendages like fingers, noses, etc and can re-attach recently severed limbs.
-cure magically-caused insanity.
-cure and prevent all intoxicating effects of alcohol.
-negate poison
-cure magic/alien diseases.
-negate/reverse the effects of faerie food
-induce sleep.

With some alien plants, mystic herbology can produce some additional powerful healing effects:
-cure a vampire's bite
-cure all types of blood disease, including leukemia.
-turn stone to flesh or temporary immunity to petrification

Finally, you should remember the Millennium tree gifts of healing. They may be available to everyone, but I think that a tree would be particularly inclined to be generous to a healer.

To go with your original concept, if I wanted a multiple-means healer who could provide some other useful combat/support abilities, I'd go with one of the druid classes from England with major psionics (including Object Read, if crystal magic might be part of your game universe). I prefer the Scathach myself, as they can create any of the mystic herbology items, a bunch of useful wood/iron tools, and create/apply herbal medicine (the mystic herbology skill is an umbrella skill that includes holistic medicine).

I created just such a character a couple years ago for a fantasy SDC setting; he was a mystic smith/craftsman first, a healer second, and a reluctant, but fairly effective fighter third. His great weakness was his M.A. of 2; I interpreted this as a major speech impediment: a stutter so bad that he's almost incomprehensible. Think of the opening scene of The King's Speech, but dialed up. As a result, he resigned himself to staying mute, and had to use either hand gestures/sign language or the written word. I've still got him, and I'm hoping that some day I get the chance to roleplay him.

PM me with your email if you'd like to see the background and stats of that character.

Very cool - thanks!

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Native american plant shamans are also pretty good as they can have access to the mystic herbology stuff as well as fetish creation some of which are good for healing and more direct combat capable self cast spell heals. They also if GM allows have access to plant biomancy spells which makes for a pretty decent spell list.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

What about Tattoo classes like the Undead Slayer?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

The tattoo classes only really have two healing tattoos. I think adding those tattoos to one of the previously mentioned characters would be the better option there.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”