Weapon Proficiency Polearms

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Weapon Proficiency Polearms

Unread post by Bill »

What would you add to WP Polearm to make it a more distinct and attractive (but not too attractive) option?
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Re: Weapon Proficiency Polearms

Unread post by zerombr »

I like the extra 1d6 damage you get with it, and if you keep in mind that you actually do have range, like enough to help ward off simultaneous attacks, I think it has some good flavor.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

The proficiency rules grant +2 damage at level 2 and 8, not an additional 1D6. That's from the Horsemanship skill and should only apply when executing a mounted charge. The proficiency also grants no specific reach related benefits. While the GM can certainly take the weapon's length into account, there's nothing in the rules that would require it.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

To some extent, it depends on which version you're using (RUE vs. HU2 vs. PF2 vs. Mystic China, etc.), but overall, I think the main attraction of polearms is in the design of the individual weapon (i.e. does it have back-spikes, baffles, hooks, a sword blade, an axe blade, a hammer head, etc.). I think the weapons themselves should offer inherent bonuses to certain maneuvers, rather than relying solely on W.P. bonuses.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Such as?
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

E.g. damage bonuses or increased critical strike chances for heavy chopping blades, disarm/entangle bonuses for hooks, ability to ignore a certain amount of A.R. for picks, etc.

Actually, this could be tied to one's W.P. via a floating bonus (probably totaling no more than +4 or +5 at upper levels) that can be applied as needed for a given weapon.

Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Pole arm users should be able to learn to do multiple parry, double strike, and parry strike. Much like the abilities of paired weapons.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

For what it's worth, W.P. Reverse Stroke (Splicers, p. 205) allows you to strike with both ends of a pole arm (but not to strike and parry in one action, unfortunately).

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I've thought for a while that Fencing should be changed to just be "Melee Specialization" and apply to any weapon you purchase it for specifically.

Of course a GM could get specific about what bonuses might be different depending on the weapon in question.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”