SW Rifts

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dunia
Adventurer

SW Rifts

Unread post by Dunia »

I am curiious about this:

1) As I have never played or looked at Savage Worlds, will there be a possible conversion guide to use all the Rifts books, or is it a totally new type of system that makes conversions too hard or not even possible?

2) It must be exciting for PB to open up to a new gamesystem like SW, and it would be fun as just a fluffinfo to know why you choose just that system out of all the hundreds or more different types of systems?

3) Will Savage Worlds be able to offer a more narrative way or will it be more/less rules heavy than current Rifts is?

4) Will all books printed at PB this far for Rifts be converted to SW or just the new ones?

5) For you people who play SW, is it a fun system?

6) Will PB remove itself from Rifts and focus on other lines like PF, RRT, DR now that SW will publish rifts or will there wtill be more rofts books from PB and if so will they be released simultanously to both systems?

7) What will the differences be, system-wise between PB rifts and SW rifts?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Re: SW Rifts

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Dunia wrote:I am curiious about this:

1) As I have never played or looked at Savage Worlds, will there be a possible conversion guide to use all the Rifts books, or is it a totally new type of system that makes conversions too hard or not even possible?
As per the official Savage Worlds website... it will be a series of books (tho not likely to be all rehashes of current PB material). Conversions should be fairly simple to pull off

2) It must be exciting for PB to open up to a new gamesystem like SW, and it would be fun as just a fluffinfo to know why you choose just that system out of all the hundreds or more different types of systems?
The Lead designer asked for permission... (seriously... in an interview with Sean Patrick Fannon he was asked "So... Savage Rifts... How did that come about?" His reply was "I asked." He then goes into further explanations on just exactly what took place.)

3) Will Savage Worlds be able to offer a more narrative way or will it be more/less rules heavy than current Rifts is?
Facetious question. All RPG systems are as narrative driven as you the players allow.
Savage Worlds is "rules medium" it has a lower learning curve but in no way should it be considered "rules lite."

4) Will all books printed at PB this far for Rifts be converted to SW or just the new ones?
Only time will tell but from conversations taking place over on the SvW site I would not expect SvR to be just the existing books with new rules... (from the sounds of things we may see some adventure/campaign supplements from them).

5) For you people who play SW, is it a fun system?
yes

6) Will PB remove itself from Rifts and focus on other lines like PF, RRT, DR now that SW will publish rifts or will there wtill be more rofts books from PB and if so will they be released simultanously to both systems?
Palladium has already stated that they will continue to produce Rifts (and other fine settings).
I would not hold my breath on there being Simultaneous releases of products (see previous answers).

7) What will the differences be, system-wise between PB rifts and SW rifts?
Stats and resolution mechanic. that will in all likelihood be the only difference (besides product type).
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Not to mention if your really interested in learning the rules. One can get the SW explorers edition core for about 10-13 Canadian.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I just hope bad things don't happen like Man Hunter
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Just mailed a submission to Palladium....
Which made me wonder...

Will SW Rifts be taking submissions too?

I am interested to try SW rules but don't know if I'll use them. I use a modified Palladium "House Rules" because I have a 10 person player group and needed to streamline the combat rules for so many players.

Mostly I look forward to more World Data from SW Rifts. I wonder how much freedom SW has to create New Official Data and if it will be Official across both game formats.

Hey SW.... How do we send you submissions and will you be wanting them? :)
Dan Frederick
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Fell wrote:Just mailed a submission to Palladium....
Which made me wonder...

I am interested to try SW rules but don't know if I'll use them. I use a modified Palladium "House Rules" because I have a 10 person player group and needed to streamline the combat rules for so many players.

Mostly I look forward to more World Data from SW Rifts. I wonder how much freedom SW has to create New Official Data and if it will be Official across both game formats.

Palladium Books likely SW Rifts canonicity fix (Should be same for Disney's Marvel licenses with other companies). It is an alternate reality.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

for those who are curious, there is a sort of "preview" of the rules available:

https://www.peginc.com/freebies/SWcore/TD06.pdf

i don't believe it is an absolute complete version of the rules (i have not, for example, been able to find any legitimate free sources that cover the rules for healing, though i presume they do in fact have some in the actual rulebooks, among other things). but it should be able to provide you with a limited idea of their system for resolving success, which is really all you should need to help you decide if you want to invest money into it or not.

they have a variety of other free PDFs on the site, with several of them providing ideas to adapt it for different types of settings, if you want to try and dig deeper than i did.

try here:

https://www.peginc.com/product-category/free-downloads/

(for those too lazy to check, yes the second and third page have something more than just a character sheet or visual aid).
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Shark_Force wrote:for those who are curious, there is a sort of "preview" of the rules available:

https://www.peginc.com/freebies/SWcore/TD06.pdf

i don't believe it is an absolute complete version of the rules (i have not, for example, been able to find any legitimate free sources that cover the rules for healing, though i presume they do in fact have some in the actual rulebooks, among other things). but it should be able to provide you with a limited idea of their system for resolving success, which is really all you should need to help you decide if you want to invest money into it or not.

they have a variety of other free PDFs on the site, with several of them providing ideas to adapt it for different types of settings, if you want to try and dig deeper than i did.

try here:

https://www.peginc.com/product-category/free-downloads/

(for those too lazy to check, yes the second and third page have something more than just a character sheet or visual aid).

As an FYI...
SPF has stated that he utilized the SvW (SW means Star Wars in my mind) core, The Supers Companion, and The Sci-Fi Companion as the base for SvR.
So for those who already have them that can give you rough idea of where the rules set will head.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Tweeted at PEG yesterday and they responded saying that there will be an update at Gen Con at their seminar, as you'd expect. They believe that some folk will be podcasting it for those of us who can't attend.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

sHaka wrote:Tweeted at PEG yesterday and they responded saying that there will be an update at Gen Con at their seminar, as you'd expect. They believe that some folk will be podcasting it for those of us who can't attend.

Anyone know when/where this is at GenCon?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

FatherMorpheus wrote:
sHaka wrote:Tweeted at PEG yesterday and they responded saying that there will be an update at Gen Con at their seminar, as you'd expect. They believe that some folk will be podcasting it for those of us who can't attend.

Pinnacle Seminar
Sat Aug 1
3:00pm
Crown Plaza Grand Central Ballroom a/b

Savage Worlds Licensee Seminar
Sat Aug 1
4:00pm
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
FatherMorpheus wrote:

Pinnacle Seminar
Sat Aug 1
3:00pm

Savage Worlds Licensee Seminar
Sat Aug 1
4:00pm

Thank you very much! Now to check my GM schedule!
BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

Man I am so excited for this, I absolutely love the Savage Worlds ruleset. I brought the sci fi companion and the fantasy companion to start my own personal project of making a Rifts game for my players and then shortly after Savage Rifts was announced. Pretty awesome news I must say.
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Fell wrote:Just mailed a submission to Palladium....
Which made me wonder...

I'm sure that Pinnacle and their creative team running the project will use their normal production methods, which involves their own team of established freelancers.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”