PDF Material on the way!

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

PDF Material on the way!

Unread post by Fell »

"I’m also working on two titles that would be released in PDF form only(?), or before being released as a printed book. One is for Dead Reign® and one for Rifts®. I’m toying with possibly releasing them in chapters in PDF form and then as a compiled, complete PDF and printed book – or perhaps just leave it as a PDF title only. It’s a work in progress and the designs and release remain in motion; things may change. Fan suggestions are welcomed". - K.S.

Awesome. New material is always welcomed! Instant PDF material is cool too. I am one of those guys who has purchased from DriveThrou RPG and I like having books on my electric devises. However having said that I do hope to see a Print Version too. Call me nostalgic but I really like having a book in my hands.

Other than that I will be wondering what this new material could be?
Dan Frederick
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Re: PDF Material on the way!

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Is there a frost warning in Hell?

Cuz I think it might be getting ready to freeze over.

Snark aside, I would NOT want to see chapters released prior to the completed work, mainly because PB's track record for timely release on anything other than the Rifter is well known. Not to mention that seldom are individual installments cheaper in the end for the consumer than the omnibus/final/etc.

I am looking forward to owning legit PDFs of several frequently used titles in the RIFTS collection as well as PFRPG 2nd ed. I'll ve preparing my wallet this for re-purchase of titles.

I'll also echo Fell's comment that I like having paper versions available. Upon legit PDFs availability, I'd get rid of 1/3-1/2 my paper collection due to space constraints. But some books I know would become/remain frequently used in our group. And while someone can look at my PDF while at my house, I can't lend it to them for character creation outside sessions.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

All I have to say is, about freaking time! :ok:

-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

have to say, i'm rather surprised. didn't expect this to happen any time in the near future at all.

but i am definitely pleased to hear it. very pleased. it is very nice to have PDFs available, even if not everyone wants them :)
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Great news!
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Agreed. I'd like to see what'll be available.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Good news better late then never ever I suppose.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Kevin wrote:More PDF titles. Alex Marciniszyn has been put in charge of scanning the entire Palladium library of books for future release in PDF form. To insure high quality, Alex is scanning book pages from the original “paste-up” pages/keylines and digitally cleaning them. It’s a time consuming process, but the pages are flawless. This means a much wider range of PDFs will be made available in the months ahead from Palladium Books and DriveThruRPG.com. Will Palladium offer PDFs of new releases when they release print titles? We haven’t decided yet, but we’re considering it. And have a few ideas on related matters. For instance, I’m writing two titles that I want to see released in PDF form first or perhaps only(?), certainly before being released as a printed book. One is material for Dead Reign® and one for Rifts®. I’m toying with possibly releasing them in chapters in PDF form and then as a compiled, complete PDF and printed book – or perhaps just leave it as a PDF title only. It is a work in progress and the designs and method of release remain in motion; things may change. Fan suggestions are welcomed.

Given PB's track record on releasing series-style books and/or follow-up books, I'd rather just wait for PDFs to be released once it's completely done and not piecemeal.

Though I do have a question. Are the PDFs going to be just straight copies of the first printing of each book, or will they have the shadow updates and/or any sort of clarifications in them (like can species A take OCC B or Power X)?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

The Beast wrote:
Kevin wrote:More PDF titles. Alex Marciniszyn has been put in charge of scanning the entire Palladium library of books for future release in PDF form. To insure high quality, Alex is scanning book pages from the original “paste-up” pages/keylines and digitally cleaning them. It’s a time consuming process, but the pages are flawless. This means a much wider range of PDFs will be made available in the months ahead from Palladium Books and DriveThruRPG.com. Will Palladium offer PDFs of new releases when they release print titles? We haven’t decided yet, but we’re considering it. And have a few ideas on related matters. For instance, I’m writing two titles that I want to see released in PDF form first or perhaps only(?), certainly before being released as a printed book. One is material for Dead Reign® and one for Rifts®. I’m toying with possibly releasing them in chapters in PDF form and then as a compiled, complete PDF and printed book – or perhaps just leave it as a PDF title only. It is a work in progress and the designs and method of release remain in motion; things may change. Fan suggestions are welcomed.

Given PB's track record on releasing series-style books and/or follow-up books, I'd rather just wait for PDFs to be released once it's completely done and not piecemeal.

Though I do have a question. Are the PDFs going to be just straight copies of the first printing of each book, or will they have the shadow updates and/or any sort of clarifications in them (like can species A take OCC B or Power X)?

not much point in taking the time to get high-quality scans if you're just going to change all the text, I would imagine.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

He said at the POH that the Dead Reign book he was leaning towards PDF release
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Fell wrote:"I’m also working on two titles that would be released in PDF form only(?), or before being released as a printed book. One is for Dead Reign® and one for Rifts®. I’m toying with possibly releasing them in chapters in PDF form and then as a compiled, complete PDF and printed book – or perhaps just leave it as a PDF title only. It’s a work in progress and the designs and release remain in motion; things may change. Fan suggestions are welcomed". - K.S.

I agree with the other posters here - I would much prefer they are not released in chapters as there may be delays between each one and they will feel incomplete. Wait until it is ready then give us the lot. Looking forward to these and other PDF material from Palladium!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Waiting nearly 3 years here for 4 to 7 new Splicers source books. Please consider taking Splicers straight to .pdf the game hasn't received a sourcebook or supplement beyond a handful of Rifter articles in over a decade since release.
Last edited by Wooly on Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

It should be sold as PDF/POD. AKA, on DriveThru you can have the option to either buy the PDF or buy a Print on Demand and have your PDF printed on dead tree and sent to you. Then everybody can choose how they want to get their material.

These days, there's no reason not to offer both formats.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

I also think that Palladiums book prices are out of whack with the industry. Example: $8 for old back issues of the Rifter that are over 10 years old.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Spinachcat wrote:It should be sold as PDF/POD. AKA, on DriveThru you can have the option to either buy the PDF or buy a Print on Demand and have your PDF printed on dead tree and sent to you. Then everybody can choose how they want to get their material.

These days, there's no reason not to offer both formats.

Agree fully. Many .pdfs are still not bookmarked, there is simply no excuse for this.
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

What are YOU hoping to see released as a PDF soon?

My fingers are crossed for the following to be released soon:

NG 1 - missed the limited release of this.
NG 2 - above.
Lone Star - my favorite book.
Revised FoM - another fav.
Megaverse in Flames!

All books eventually. :)
Dan Frederick
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Fell wrote:What are YOU hoping to see released as a PDF soon?

NG 2 - above.

Megaverse in Flames!

You know - I'm at a loss on this. Palladium sold NG1, 2, and Lemuria on the statement that you wouldn't get the PDF's Ever if you didn't participate in the Insider.

Now I was a backer of NG1 and 2, just for the PDF Copy. To support Palladium on the realm that they need to do PDF's. But I also am a big stickler of people keeping their word. Especially with a company such as Palladium, where word of mouth about their products is extremely valuable.

So - I'm not sure where I stand on them releasing PDF's of their Megaversal Insiders to anyone other than their Insiders...
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Tiree wrote:

NG 2 - above.

Megaverse in Flames!

You know - I'm at a loss on this. Palladium sold NG1, 2, and Lemuria on the statement that you wouldn't get the PDF's Ever if you didn't participate in the Insider.

Now I was a backer of NG1 and 2, just for the PDF Copy. To support Palladium on the realm that they need to do PDF's. But I also am a big stickler of people keeping their word. Especially with a company such as Palladium, where word of mouth about their products is extremely valuable.

So - I'm not sure where I stand on them releasing PDF's of their Megaversal Insiders to anyone other than their Insiders...

I totally get that. Makes sense.
Short story, my job prevented me being able to be around when NG1+2 were originally released.
Really wish I could have been part of the Insider ..... I couldn't. But dang I'd like those books as PDF :)
Dan Frederick
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Tiree wrote:

NG 2 - above.

Megaverse in Flames!

It is my understanding that the Insider PDFs have features like a clickable index page.
The PDFs being released currently dont have those features.
What if the PDF for the masses was a basic one, sans the features, leaving the enhanced PDF exclusive for the Insiders?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Well - they should be adding those features in their current PDF's that they are offering. Otherwise they are not providing a quality product.

So I'd still have an issue if they provided the book sans links and searchable text.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Tiree wrote:Well - they should be adding those features in their current PDF's that they are offering. Otherwise they are not providing a quality product.

So I'd still have an issue if they provided the book sans links and searchable text.

Seconded.
IAmTheSky
Newb

Unread post by IAmTheSky »

G'day.-
I've been playing PB games for 20+ years. Started with the 1st HU and TMNT. Got into the first release of Rifts.

Back in the day I would buy 10-20 books and get them shipped to Australia. The shipping was usually more than the cost of the books! As I've gotten older I have less discretionary income to spend on books (+ there are other RPGs competing for my attention) and I have less time (gone are the days of me spending a Saturday reading through hard cover copies...)

I have not bought a PB for at least a decade. Le fiancee is not a big fan of me taking over more rooms in our house for hobbies, so I try to go digital with most things. I use spotify, steam, netflix, GoG, Audible, Kindle. I'd love to have the entire PB collection in hard copy, but shipping fees to Oz are prohibitive and noone in my city sells PB stock.

I refuse to pirate RPG books; they are out there but if a game is worth my attention it is worth paying for.

I searched for this topic across the forums. There was a lot of snark and Monday experts; All I will say is this. As a long term fan, I would regularly buy PB PDFs via DriveThruRPG if they were available. So long as only hard copies for the core IP are available, I have no reason to reinvest with the Megaverse.

I do not really care about the new books or systems. Maybe if I get back into the Megaverse I'll pay more attention.

As for the arguments about business practices, pdf conversions etc, I'd comment that in a "past life" I worked in the copying industry and I have business experience. It is not rocket science; despite the life boat arguments about the reality of disruptive technologies, for me, it is this simple: I've moved to pdf versions as my main focus; and I will spend money with those companies that meet this need.

Looking forward to seeing more pdf books coming out. Good luck to all involved.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

There are a bunch of Rifts titles now available!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
tmbn
Wanderer

Unread post by tmbn »

NG 2 - above.
Megaverse in Flames!

I would love to see more Fantasy books and also rest of The rifter books on PDF.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”