A conversion of RIFTS?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ghost2020
Adventurer

A conversion of RIFTS?

Unread post by ghost2020 »

So what's this news all about?

"Something new and exciting. In an effort to truly expand Rifts® across the Megaverse®, in cooperation with Palladium Books, another role-playing game company is currently adapting the Rifts® Earth setting to that company’s RPG system of rules, as well as producing adventure sourcebooks."

Any guesses?

Mine is on Breachworld/Jason Richards giving this a whirl.

Should be interesting.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: A conversion of RIFTS?

Unread post by Bill »

No guesses. Still excited though.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

ghost2020 wrote:So what's this news all about?

"Something new and exciting. In an effort to truly expand Rifts® across the Megaverse®, in cooperation with Palladium Books, another role-playing game company is currently adapting the Rifts® Earth setting to that company’s RPG system of rules, as well as producing adventure sourcebooks."

Any guesses?

Should be interesting.

I think it's somebody bigger than that, but not somebody TOO big (i.e., WotC, Steve Jackson, etc.)

So... I my uninformed random guess is that we'll probably be seeing a d6 or d10 version of Rifts, which could be pretty neat!
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Any guesses?

Should be interesting.

I think it's somebody bigger than that, but not somebody TOO big (i.e., WotC, Steve Jackson, etc.)

So... I my uninformed random guess is that we'll probably be seeing a d6 or d10 version of Rifts, which could be pretty neat!

Ummm... bigger than Jason Richards? Not sure they get any bigger than that guy.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

I just hope this works out well for Palladium.
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

Jason Richards wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Any guesses?

Should be interesting.

Ummm... bigger than Jason Richards? Not sure they get any bigger than that guy.

^Money's on this guy. Why?
A.)Just looked at his site and right there is a quote from Kevin himself.
B.)Similar themes. Easily can have both cross over in some fashion.
C.)Could have sworn Kevin backed him on kickstarter.

Anyways if true good luck to you and the endeavor.
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

I'm thinking Savage Worlds.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

From here:
Hello everyone!

Yep, this is really exciting!

Life-changing for some folks.

;-)

That's from designer Sean Patrick Fannon of Evil Beagle Games, publishers of a bunch of well received Savage Worlds stuff.

From his Facebook page:
So there's this mind-blowing announcement and discussion on RPG.net, I hear.

I can neither confirm nor deny anything.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Not me, guys. Would be awesome, but not me. I'm excited to see how it all turns out, though!
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
ghost2020
Adventurer

That was one of my early guesses on the rpg.net thread before Mr. Richards' name came up.

Savage Worlds would be a great fit.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Founder and CVO, Evil Beagle Games

Unread post by Sean Patrick Fannon »

Hey, everyone! First time poster, long-time fan and friend!

;-)
Sean Patrick Fannon
Creator of Shaintar
Lead Writer, Designer, Brand Manager for Savage Rifts
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Not that I wouldn't be happy for that to be true has anyone seen anything where Pinnacle Entertainment actually said that? The link they provide goes to Pinnacle's website but I can't find anything there about this.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Here's Pinnacle's own Press Release. I've never played Savage Worlds, but I've heard good things.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Warmaster40k wrote:I'm thinking Savage Worlds.

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=769 ... ad77bb4&e=[UNIQID]
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Savage Worlds is very good at what it does. It is my favorite "generic" RPG system when I have an idea where I want to heavily use minis when playing. I have run Rifts, Nightbane and Mechanoids using SW and it works well. I have run 40k using SW repeatedly and it does a good job mixing vehicles, men and monsters in a hybrid RPG/wargame. The only caveat is that whenever you change systems, there is a different feel to the game, and whether that "different feel" is better or worse depends totally on you and your players.

Do you like using minis, maps and terrain bits for combat? Do you want a faster, easier system? If yes, then you'll probably enjoy a Savage Worlds / Rifts combo.

I believe Savage Worlds Robotech would be a good match - especially with the new RTT minis.
Sean Patrick Fannon

So now that it's official, I figured I'd introduce myself. I'm the new Lead Designer and Writer for Savage Rifts.

I look forward to sharing ideas and enthusiasm with you folks in the coming weeks and months.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Creator of Shaintar
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

Sean Patrick Fannon wrote:Hey, everyone! First time poster, long-time fan and friend!

;-)

So, Sean, some questions for you:

1. Will the SW Rifts Core book be a stand alone product, or will it be in addition to the SW Deluxe? I think I've seen the answer to this elsewhere, but I just wanted to ask to be sure.
2. Will the SW Rifts Core book include a conversion guide to convert Rifts material from Palladium's vast library of Rifts books over to Savage Worlds.
3. What will the timeline be for the setting? Will it coincide with the original Rifts Main Book, Rifts Ultimate, or start at an entirely different point along the timeline?
4. Is there going to be a playtest team, and if so, whom should I contact about being part of it.
5. Can you give us a rundown of your experience with Rifts?
6. Will the artwork for the SW Rifts Core book be new art, and will the book be full color?
7. Will it be sold as a PDF, as well?

I'm sure I'll have more as the days go on, but this is a start. :)

Thanks, and I am definitely looking forward to this!

-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Sean Patrick Fannon wrote:Hey, everyone! First time poster, long-time fan and friend!

;-)

Welcome! Really glad you're here.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
dartnet
D-Bee

Unread post by dartnet »

A few questions.

Once Savage Rifts is released:

1. Will there be support for Savage Rifts in the Rifter. (If so I have to get a subscription.)

2. Will there be Savage Rifts at Palladium Open Houses? (If so I need to plan to go next year.)

3. Because of the fact that Savage Worlds is a great system for miniatures. Will we see an expansion of the Rifts Miniature line? (Maybe some plastics?)
Sean Patrick Fannon

So in the flurry of the initial announcement, we are now getting our full messaging worked out.

I say that to say this...

Your questions are read, and I am now working things out with all the principles about we can start saying at this point in terms of details.

Just didn't want anyone to think they are being ignored.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Creator of Shaintar
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Sean Patrick Fannon wrote:So in the flurry of the initial announcement, we are now getting our full messaging worked out.

Your questions are read, and I am now working things out with all the principles about we can start saying at this point in terms of details.

Awesome, thanks for the communication. I think this is a great match-up, and I can't wait to see the new products (so I can start buying them!). :-D
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
Sean Patrick Fannon

Hello everyone! Here's a message from Shane Hensley about all this, originally posted on RPG.NET -

"Hi all,

Shane with Pinnacle here. I don't post a lot on RPG.NET but since most of you have been very kind and supportive I wanted to say a few quick words. Most any other information we give out in the future will be on our own forums--thanks for understanding. :)

So first off, it is a *line*, not a single book. We hope to explore many corners of the Rifts universe, and should have plenty of time and space to do it.

We aren't talking about the rules development at this time, but since Savage Worlds (in our obviously biased opinion) handles everything from gritty cop stories to four-color superheroes, we're feeling very good about Rifts' development.

Third, I love Fate, M&M, and many of the other systems you guys and gals advocated. Those are all AWESOME and we gamers are truly blessed to have so many amazing choices these days. I *truly* play and run everything, though of course Savage Worlds is my favorite.

We're very happy to be working with Kevin Siembieda. He's been gracious, encouraging, and awesome from the start.

Finally, we're happy to be working with Sean Patrick Fannon and Ross Watson on this. Sean got the ball rolling, Ross handles most of the project management, and the two of them together are creating something I think Rifts fans will find both familiar and different enough to open up new tales and adventures. Savage Worlds fans who haven't experienced Rifts will get to walk in one of the most rich, detailed, and over-the-top settings ever released. So we think this is a win-win and can't wait to show you our work.

All the best to everyone. :)"

I'll just add that I really appreciate the excitement, the enthusiasm, and the support, but now I need to put my head back down and finish the design and writing of this thing you're all wanting to see. We know how important it is to stay connected with you, and we'll be sharing more information down the road, I promise. There are quite a few more bricks to lay on this road before we start rolling traffic down it, though.

So lock that drum feed into your rail gun, call up those eldritch forces from the nearby ley line, and get ready for the great adventures to come! ~SPF
Sean Patrick Fannon
Creator of Shaintar
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

Wow... Thanks for the info!
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MikeM »

I have not purchased a Rifts book in over a decade. (I do buy Robotech and HU)
I WILL be picking up Savage Rifts. I am so looking forward to this!
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

Savaged RIFTS has my interest...
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

I am rather excited about this!
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

Sean Patrick Fannon wrote:So in the flurry of the initial announcement, we are now getting our full messaging worked out.

Thanks, Sean!

-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Wow, very interesting.......personally, i've never played SW, but a local group i know plays SW and Rifts, i will definitely give them the heads up on this development.
The Dragon Has Spoken
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Well since there are savage worlds char generators, looks like will finaly have a rifts char generator......... Hehehe
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Count me in for play testing if possible...would LOVE to run this at my local con
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Excellent news! Another company helping to expand the RIFTS Universe...PB should do the same with other lines: SPLICERS :)
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
ghost2020
Adventurer

Fantasy and Heroes Unlimited wouldn't be necessary to do a license, as SW already has those covered.

That being said, Nightbane and Splicers are unique enough to warrant their own line in Savage Worlds. I hope it happens.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Thank you for posting here Sean as a fan looking forward to this I know it's not just me who appreciates this forward communications. I hope to hear more news 'soon' from you regarding what you'll have for the Rifts line and any other teasers you can release to us.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Thank you for posting here Sean as a fan looking forward to this I know it's not just me who appreciates this forward communications. I hope to hear more news 'soon' from you regarding what you'll have for the Rifts line and any other teasers you can release to us.

Daniel Stoker

Right, Sean posting here is very appreciated!
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
pestigor
Wanderer
Comment: The game group as a whole is always right. If you’re not having fun then YOU ARE doing it wrong.

Unread post by pestigor »

The way I see it, if all of Palladium's games are basically compatible with Rifts and Savage Rifts is compatible with Rifts it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to make any palladium game into a Savage version...I see myself still buying Palladium books and Pinnacle books. It sounds like a win/win for everyone involved.

I mean if they convert Rifts all the "heavy lifting" of conversion will be done for you.
Rift's,the Death Metal of roleplaying since 1990.
pestigor
Wanderer
Comment: The game group as a whole is always right. If you’re not having fun then YOU ARE doing it wrong.

Unread post by pestigor »

Also, I suggest picking up Pinnacle's Savage Worlds test drive PDF (It's free on their site) to get a feel for the system, just an FYI.
Rift's,the Death Metal of roleplaying since 1990.
Sean Patrick Fannon

Just wanted to thank you all for the kind welcome and continued words of support. I know it will be frustrating, not hearing any more significant details for a while, but please do know that I am working hard on this, as is everyone else at Pinnacle and Evil Beagle, and we do look forward to sharing what we can in the weeks and months to come.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Creator of Shaintar
Technotortoise
D-Bee

Unread post by Technotortoise »

Sean, this should be great for the Rifts community. Savage Worlds is very popular among gamers with limited playing time and as a convention game. This will likely bring Rifts to a new surge in fan base.

To me the biggest challenge will be merging a rule system, Savage Worlds, that calls for balance with a setting, Rifts, that has a trademark for its intended lack of balance.
Chronicler
Adventurer

Hey for the people that have played SW how heavily involved is the miniature side of things?
dartnet
D-Bee

Unread post by dartnet »

Chronicler wrote:Hey for the people that have played SW how heavily involved is the miniature side of things?

There useful but not required. You can play just as well with out them. But they do add to the game.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Chronicler wrote:Hey for the people that have played SW how heavily involved is the miniature side of things?

I'm very interested in the answer to this one as well...
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

I've been running Savage Worlds regularly for almost a decade now. I used miniatures and tabletop maps in my very first game, and never since. It's a game that can have good tabletop tactical depth, but which can also be used without maps very easily. My only major complaint about Savage Worlds is that the newest editions continue to insist on using tabletop inches for distance even though they've moved away from being miniatures-standard for basically everything else. I think it can give new players the wrong impression about the game.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
Chronicler
Adventurer

blackwingedheaven wrote:

I've been running Savage Worlds regularly for almost a decade now. I used miniatures and tabletop maps in my very first game, and never since. It's a game that can have good tabletop tactical depth, but which can also be used without maps very easily. My only major complaint about Savage Worlds is that the newest editions continue to insist on using tabletop inches for distance even though they've moved away from being miniatures-standard for basically everything else. I think it can give new players the wrong impression about the game.

Yeah, saw a bit of the rules a few days before the announcement. To me it sounded more like a wargame, or something that Two Hour Wargames would put out. (they use a mix rpg/wargame system).
ghost2020
Adventurer

The up side of the miniature use is that one can have sizable skirmishes in very short amount of time.
ghost2020
Adventurer

It's very much an RPG though, fret not. We had a blast with a book called Zombie Run.

Savage Rifts will be a great fit, and should be hella fun.
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Sean Patrick Fannon wrote:Just wanted to thank you all for the kind welcome and continued words of support. I know it will be frustrating, not hearing any more significant details for a while, but please do know that I am working hard on this, as is everyone else at Pinnacle and Evil Beagle, and we do look forward to sharing what we can in the weeks and months to come.

Other than a main book and supplemental books, are you thinking about doing Adventure Cards (deck) for Savage Rifts?
Dan Frederick
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I view SW as a hybrid RPG/wargame. FOR ME, that is a great thing. FOR ME, Savage Worlds truly shines in settings where the concept of battles often involves our heroes having some support forces fighting against villains and a whole load of mooks. That's where the SW rules shine and it truly earns its reputation as fast, furious fun. Personally, I find SW lacking whenever I play without minis. It goes from a good system to a "meh" system without the use of minis. Like any system, SW has its weakness and limitations and FOR ME, these problems are far more apparent when you switch from minis play to theater of the mind style play.

AKA, wanna fight a squad of Deadboys backed up by a dozen bots? Would you like them to have some vehicles and air support? Do you want the whole battle to be played out in an hour? You could do that in Savage Worlds with a table full of minis. I've run Savage 40k and SW allows great cinematic hero battles where you mow down mooks, blast apart tanks and then mano-a-mano with the Big Bads.

MadManMike...you should get cracking on designing RIFTS cardboard minis...
Chronicler
Adventurer

Spinachcat wrote:

I view SW as a hybrid RPG/wargame. FOR ME, that is a great thing. FOR ME, Savage Worlds truly shines in settings where the concept of battles often involves our heroes having some support forces fighting against villains and a whole load of mooks. That's where the SW rules shine and it truly earns its reputation as fast, furious fun. Personally, I find SW lacking whenever I play without minis. It goes from a good system to a "meh" system without the use of minis. Like any system, SW has its weakness and limitations and FOR ME, these problems are far more apparent when you switch from minis play to theater of the mind style play.

AKA, wanna fight a squad of Deadboys backed up by a dozen bots? Would you like them to have some vehicles and air support? Do you want the whole battle to be played out in an hour? You could do that in Savage Worlds with a table full of minis. I've run Savage 40k and SW allows great cinematic hero battles where you mow down mooks, blast apart tanks and then mano-a-mano with the Big Bads.

I ask about the mini's because I lack in that department. (Well 28mm, plenty of random 15mm figs.).
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Spinachcat wrote:

Well, my sigpic is a preview of the Adventurers set; the Old-Style Deadboys set is ready, but I want to have a Magic/Psychic set and a set or two of Men at Arms done before we put them in the store.. After the Open House I should have some time to get to them, but right now I'm buried under prep for 4 games at the Open House, three book covers for an independent author, a 40 hour a week day job and Dad duties in a family of six..
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”