A game that might be infringing on Palladium's trademarks

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dreicunan
Hero

A game that might be infringing on Palladium's trademarks

Unread post by dreicunan »

http://armorgames.com/nightbanes-game/15916

I wasn't sure where to send this, but I am hoping one of the forum moderators will be able to pass this on to the appropriate people to see if this warrants action (given how they had to change the name from Nightspawn, I figured they might be protective of the current name).
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: A game that might be infringing on Palladium's trademark

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Yeah especially since Nightbanes name is itself the result of a TM lawsuit. Hopefully their respond to Todd McFarlane's unreleased spawn series that had bad guys called the Mechanoids wasn't a quick response only because of a desire for retribution. Then again after being told about the line they said nothing and it just went away. So they may be handling it the same way.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

As legal matters go most of them are held out of the sight of the public, I doubt PB will directly comment on this here.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Or ever because there will likely be a cease and desist given with the agreement that PB will not make agreement public.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

Or they'll go like Trion did and fight it.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Josh Hilden wrote:Or they'll go like Trion did and fight it.

These guys are doing badly made unoriginal browser games for sites like Armor Games. They don't have the pockets to fight it, and even if they did scrape up the money to hire a lawyer he'd probably tell them that their best bet is to fold.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

They software make will win based on the stupid technicality that it is a Mobile app based game and the format is different from Standard RPGs. Isn't that the Gist of Rift MMO anyways?

Once the door is opened others will have an easier time playing that card (no pun intended)
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Chronicle wrote:They software make will win based on the stupid technicality that it is a Mobile app based game and the format is different from Standard RPGs. Isn't that the Gist of Rift MMO anyways?

Nah, if that was all you had to do then people would be able to just rip off entire properties as long as they're in a different medium. "BUT YOUR HONOR SPIELBERG'S JAWS WAS A MOVIE AND MY JAWS GAME ABOUT A MAN-EATING SHARK THAT RICHARD DREYFUSS HAS TO DEFEAT IS A VIDYAGAME SO CLEARLY IT DOESN'T INFRINGE ON SPIELBERG'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS!". As you can see, that'd be a pretty awful situation.

The gist of Trion's actual argument is that Rift and Rifts are completely unrelated, anyone would be able to tell at a glance that Rift is an original property that has nothing to do with Rifts, and no reasonable person would confuse the two games or think that the sword and sorcery MMO was trying to cash in on the science fiction tabletop game.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I will send this on to the staff at palladium books.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”