Free Gifts from Rifter subscription.....robotech cards?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ghost2020
Adventurer

Free Gifts from Rifter subscription.....robotech cards?

Unread post by ghost2020 »

So i received my free gifts from the Rifter subscription.

I opted for Visions of the Future and the two art prints. All very cool and thank you!

I also received a baggie with Robotech Tactics cards - REgult Squad mini and regular sized cards.

Anyone else get these?
TechnoGolem
D-Bee

Re: Free Gifts from Rifter subscription.....robotech cards?

Unread post by TechnoGolem »

I haven't gotten a subscription to the Rifter but I did get them from one of my X-Mas Grab Bags.

Honestly, I just threw them away. I avoid miniature games that require me to assemble figures, paint them, and build my own terrain. I've tried a couple of different ones and it has always ended very badly and cost way too much money. If the game had been something along the lines of Star Wars Miniatures (premade/painted miniatures and played on maps) I would have tossed money at it.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound negative but games like Robotech Tactics are just not for me. It's great for people that like those kinds of games. I've seen several people say they dislike several miniature games, that I loved, for the opposite reason that I dislike Robotech Tactics.
ghost2020
Adventurer

Robotech Tactics appeals to the more hardcore miniature wargamer type. The people who have done WH40k, etc.

You're just not the demographic for that, and that's ok. It's just not for you.
I am also not a miniature gamer in any sense.

Was just curious on the cards, wasn't sure why i got them or if it was an error.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Personally, other than just a cool collectible, having the cards without the miniatures doesn't really make sense. I backed the game and just got done assembling 56 battlebopds of various types. I love the miniaures and can't wait to get some good games in with some buddies.

That said, there are many members of my group that are not miniature gamers in any way. like you, These types of games just don't appeal to them.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
ghost2020
Adventurer

Hate to throw the cards away. :(

Seems strange that Palladium would just send them out with orders.
TechnoGolem
D-Bee

Unread post by TechnoGolem »

ghost2020 wrote:Seems strange that Palladium would just send them out with orders.

Not really, I'm sure the cards are cheap and that they hope they can drum up more interest in the game if people get some piece of the game.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

It also maybe have been accidental god knows they are shipping out a ton of the robotech stuff something may have just dropped in the package and was not noticed.
Cyrano de Maniac
D-Bee

Unread post by Cyrano de Maniac »

I got them too, and ordered the same Rifter Super Subscription package as ghost2020. I was an RTT backer (even though that's not my thing -- I did it because I collect all things Palladium), and assumed that maybe they were cards that were supposed to come in Wave 1 but got forgotten. To tell the truth, I haven't even *opened* my Wave 1 carton, so I have no idea if the cards I got were missing or not.
agent_orange
D-Bee

Unread post by agent_orange »

Thats so cool :) It's awesome that distributors AND rifter subscribers get tactics stuff before the backers. I love that!

What is Rifter anyway? I got some spam mail telling me I should get it.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Rifter is a quarterly 96 page Palladium gaming supplement that has stuff like adventures, stories, new OCCs, new monsters, magic, gear, locations, ect. Most issues have something for Rifts, plus other game(s), like Palladium Fantasy, Heroes Unlimited, Splicers, Beyond the Supernatural, or Nightbane. Sometimes there's general Gaming articles, such as 'Gaming with Kids,' or stuff on GMing.

Personally I find some of the Rifters indispensable, especially the ones that expand stuff I'm keenly interested in like True Atlanteans. But most issues have good stuff in them, wether it's something I play or not, I find them well worth the price.
agent_orange
D-Bee

Unread post by agent_orange »

Cheers for that, so it's for the RPG stuff then. Nothing actually to do with Robotech Tactics
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

TechnoGolem wrote:I haven't gotten a subscription to the Rifter but I did get them from one of my X-Mas Grab Bags.

Honestly, I just threw them away. I avoid miniature games that require me to assemble figures, paint them, and build my own terrain. I've tried a couple of different ones and it has always ended very badly and cost way too much money. If the game had been something along the lines of Star Wars Miniatures (premade/painted miniatures and played on maps) I would have tossed money at it.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound negative but games like Robotech Tactics are just not for me. It's great for people that like those kinds of games. I've seen several people say they dislike several miniature games, that I loved, for the opposite reason that I dislike Robotech Tactics.

I'm not much for miniature games myself, so I'm in the same boat as you. This is because I really don't have the workspace, time, and players to deal with. However, if I got the cards like you did, I might have kept the cards in a safe place, where I could then give them to someone who wanted to try Robotech Tactics when I couldn't. Personally, I figure that it's better to donate something rather than discard it. :roll: But anyway that's the way I would have done it. Still, I'm not harping on what you did either, that's just the method that I would have used. Anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

they went out in the grab bags too. or at least mine. since the artilelry squadron did show up in the battlecry i ordered, i suspect that they just sent out freebies to encourage people to look into RTT.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

whassupman03 wrote:However, if I got the cards like you did, I might have kept the cards in a safe place, where I could then give them to someone who wanted to try Robotech Tactics when I couldn't. Personally, I figure that it's better to donate something rather than discard it. :roll:

A couple of cards would be all but useless to someone who 'wanted to try RRT' and had nothing else to speak of from the game.

To give it a shot, one would either need to pick up the core box (which contains these very cards plus the rule book and figures necessary to use them), a VT expansion (also contains the cards) or play with figures from someone else, who probably has the cards.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”