in house game development for pc consoles and such

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ajac09
D-Bee

in house game development for pc consoles and such

Unread post by ajac09 »

Wondering what it would take to get Palladium to stop waiting for others and make their own in house gaming studio. Ive been a player of rifts and robotech since the start and a big reason I got into game programming but still shocked no games at all So come on palladium open up an in house game studio heck I volunteer to start it out! Could start with console games and pc games and work up to a big mmorpg!!
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Re: in house game development for pc consoles and such

Unread post by Tiree »

I'm going to say no, they will never do that.

Why? They are not a video game company. Even if they were going to do so, they probably have no way of actually managing and dealing with it. And I do hate to dig at a company, the liklihood of a Strict Project Management is nonexistent at Palladium, and the project would increase in scope by a factor of 10 for every month it would be delayed.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Money. A massive amount of money. Which of course is what's required to develop a video game anywhere else as well..
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
ajac09
D-Bee

Unread post by ajac09 »

MADMANMIKE wrote:Money. A massive amount of money. Which of course is what's required to develop a video game anywhere else as well..

Its really not that expensive or hard. We have guys making video games themselves called indie games. It doesnt have to be a massive AAA class gaming. Could be 3-5 guys working with unity and other tools using basic computers. Not talking about pumping out Call of duty style games. Start with freemium and work up to more. Sadly I fear to though that till Pallidum is purchased for its property we may never see anything.
BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

I think you are grossly underestimated how much time and money goes into making games, even indie ones.

Even at the most basic of hiring 3 to 5 guys full time for a few years to pump out a game is obviously not going to be cheap.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

i feel your pain and passion for such an epic game. I would also like to say that, just because we don't publicly see steps taken into such directions doesn't mean that Palladiumbooks has no interest or hasn't entertained or looked into these endeavors, quite the contrary actually. The issues that affect such as production is as stated: capital, production staff, quality of first release, game development consultation between the production team and the vision of KS, and time management.

I can confidently "assume" that PB is not going to want to start a video game at a lower end quality for introductory for its major gameline. Not implying that anything produced using the indie systems is sub par, quite the opposite in multiple cases, but having a quality production team that is willing to devote their time and passion for game development, especially for this comprehensive IP is really a factor of finding the right team. With PB still tied in to fulfilling RRT, such capital won't likely be harvested from a Kickstarter campaign, perhaps an Indie GoGo. However, to draw a nice amount of capital, the preproduction for the video and research would need to be done, which requires extensive time and initial capital plus resources.

Not saying these objectives can't be achieved or obtained, but there is such a major need to fulfill RRT and book productions, that I fear such a venture would be pushed down the line unless something so profound or opportunistic captured the eyes of PB. This often comes in the manner of quality proposals/pitches or people who are willing to step up to the plate to take a serious quality jab at producing industry level products.

Such production team mates are rare gems that are usually working for another company already. However, should such gems be seriously interested, I suggest you gather the troops sort pf speak, produce a quality sample of what your looking to do and pitch it to PB. I for one, would be interested in concept art for it.

I hope this does pan out to the genesis of an epic game.

ajac09
D-Bee

Unread post by ajac09 »

I am very aware on the processes. Have been involved in making mobile games and my statement stands. Its just sad PB doesnt wanna think beyond the books. I hope one day they do decide to try. Be nice to see such great books into amazing games. Dont even have to be anything big just something to capture the moment and make everyone go "wow now if only.." and eventfully a studio may pop up and want to do more and things will happen quickly. Heck they could even start out making utilities for their games like character makers and digital media game master guides and software.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

ajac09 wrote:I am very aware on the processes. Have been involved in making mobile games and my statement stands. Its just sad PB doesnt wanna think beyond the books. I hope one day they do decide to try. Be nice to see such great books into amazing games. Dont even have to be anything big just something to capture the moment and make everyone go "wow now if only.." and eventfully a studio may pop up and want to do more and things will happen quickly. Heck they could even start out making utilities for their games like character makers and digital media game master guides and software.

Ajac09, I cordially invite to read my first two sentences. Its not that PB doesnt want to look beyond their book publications, its quite the contrary actually. PB seeks to continue producing its publications and expanding into other mediums. PB has done so historically and continues to do so currently. Just because such initiative directions aren't always publicized doesn't mean that PB isnt interested. Trust me, I have discussed video game concepts with PB staff and KS for many years and Kevin's visit to Blizzard Entertainment really got me amped.

However, with limited initial capital, no production team seasoned in video game development/production, major focus on the fulfillment of RRT, etc.; it really places some definitive direction and focus on what is on the plate currently versus investing major interest and time into a new product for a new medium that would likely not be released until several years later(at least), unless one of the major factors listed was fulfilled.

The discussion of video games is a hot discussion and I have seen steps that are clear indicators that PB would be thrilled to have a "quality" video game for its gamelines. The best thing I can suggest is if you have the inspiration and the capabilities to produce a quality sample for submissions, then do so. There are tons of great ideas that come through the doors, but actual work put behind them to really convey these visions and proving the production, are lacking.

So, let me ask you this, what is it that you seek to have developed and what specifically can you do to contribute to its development?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

ajac09 wrote:Wondering what it would take to get Palladium to stop waiting for others and make their own in house gaming studio. Ive been a player of rifts and robotech since the start and a big reason I got into game programming but still shocked no games at all So come on palladium open up an in house game studio heck I volunteer to start it out! Could start with console games and pc games and work up to a big mmorpg!!

I'd be happy if somebody would just write a decent Rifts Tower Defense flash game.
But the folks at Palladium aren't programmers.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

ajac09 wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:Money. A massive amount of money. Which of course is what's required to develop a video game anywhere else as well..

Its really not that expensive or hard. We have guys making video games themselves called indie games. It doesnt have to be a massive AAA class gaming. Could be 3-5 guys working with unity and other tools using basic computers. Not talking about pumping out Call of duty style games. Start with freemium and work up to more. Sadly I fear to though that till Pallidum is purchased for its property we may never see anything.

"Start with freemium" he said. Do you know how many people it takes working full time to keep a good freemium game running, let alone the size of the dev team to make one in the first place? Even Kingdom of Loathing has a bigger staff than Palladium Books, and it's a turn-based game with unanimated stick figure art.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”