What are somethings you'd like to see at a gaming shop?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

What are somethings you'd like to see at a gaming shop?

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

We are THINKING of opening a gaming shop. What are somethings you guys would like to see at a gaming shop since the owner of our local shop died and the partner has been burnt out on gaming for a while.

Other then the usual: books, minis, tables available to game on. some tables with dioramas pre-setup to play Warhammer on. Some setup for other RPGs.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Re: What are somethings you'd like to see at a gaming shop?

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

shop sponsored games and tournaments.
some sort of discount program; but not one that is too easy or too hard to take advantage of. (tall order I know).
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

My local store recently closed and I've had a lot of opportunity to think about the mistakes that were made there. The most important thing a game shop can do, in my opinion, is connect players to each other. This makes your store a gathering point for groups and a place that players know to come to find a new game when they want one. And while they're doing so, they can stock up on books, minis, and other paraphernalia. Our store failed to do that and couldn't maintain the income necessary to keep the doors open. Relying too heavily on Magic sales left them vulnerable to other retailers undercutting them and put them in a feast and famine cycle where they struggled to make the preorder and couldn't keep product on the shelf between releases.

I strongly recommend that you have some sort of regularly maintained calendar/corkboard that shows visitors what games are being played with contact information for someone in that group. Playing secretary to a bunch of unreliable gamers isn't necessarily fun, but I guarantee that people who can find games will spend more money than people who can't.

Another good thing to do is set up a monthly mixer for these folks to meet each other outside of a gaming context. Just giving them the opportunity to chat can help these folks break the ice and create new play groups. You could use this as an opportunity to demo new games which haven't been picked up by your local player base yet and recruit people to fill time-slots for in-store play.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

TABLE SPACE! IMHO a good gaming store should be a place where people get together to game, not just buy product. Allow GMs to come in and game with their group. There was a store that I drove 25 miles to get to when ever I could, just to hang out. Now this caused me to spend more than I should have on gaming stuff...but thats the point. The owner would set up all nighters on Friday night, set up pizza (5-10 buck pool), provide drinks (slightly cheaper than the quicky mart next door), and have 4 tables for people to take advantage of. He even jumped in on a lot of games.

He pushed for people to set up painting clinics, like paint and takes, from the people he saw that came in with cool minis. He set up character generation days for new RPGs (or whenever he felt like it) to help people make their characters in a new system. We ran TPKs on Holloween, special events, etc... The store was our center of gaming.

Unfortunately, he closed, but not from miss-fortune or lack of cash flow. He opened the store to have fun, but he closed it because it was no longer fun dealing with all of the government regulations, taxes, and other crap. He couldn't be involved with the games because it was a mound of paperwork for just the two employees he had. He started spending his time doing more paperwork than gaming. After releasing his employees, he had to restrict his hours of operation, which had a huge impact on the GMs running games, they found other places to play. He eventually closed just cause he couldn't do it alone, and couldn't hire anyone without it becoming a chore of paperwork.

But it was the best place to game. You could always go there and have a good time, and end up buying stuff just cause it was there.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

There is a store owner that has been writing articles for a column on the Business of Gaming Retail over on rpg.net since around 2007. You might check it out.

Business of Gaming Retail

There are several keys for me when it comes to gaming stores that I prefer.

1. Gaming Space separate from the retail side of things. I know that not all stores can afford the space, but the stores that I prefer have this. It makes it easier for those of us that mostly just visit the shop for buying stuff to not have to squeeze around people or tables to look at the merchandise. Also, it is quieter, and much less chaotic for the store owner. They don't have to talk louder just to be heard by a customer asking questions. Another bonus, if there is a separate entrance, is that you can actually lock the door between the shop and the gaming space, and it can be open for gaming longer than the store is open. This cuts down on having to pay extra employees, and the owner can get a chance to occasionally game with his customers without having to worry about minding the store.
2. Be aware of the industry for which you are selling products. Keep up on changes and what is going on with not just the major players, but at least the second tier as well. It is pretty bad as a customer when you ask about a product, and are told that the company isn't in business any longer, when you know that it is. Obviously, you can't be aware of every detail of every company, but you should at least know if a specific company is still in business, and what are their major lines.
3. Maintain a used book section.
4. Keep it clean.

One thing a buddy of mine and I have been kicking around is actually looking into providing some print on demand services, as well. Someone could buy their PDF, and then we could do the printing and binding right there in the shop. One of those pipe dreams, as it would be pretty expensive. On the other hand, just providing basic printing services would be really nice. I know there have been times where I would have liked to have had an extra character sheet, and would have dropped a quarter on the desk to have the shop owner print one off for me.

-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

We were thinking about having a used books section and a bin to drop off old used minis and stuff like that.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Damian Magecraft wrote:shop sponsored games and tournaments.
some sort of discount program; but not one that is too easy or too hard to take advantage of. (tall order I know).

The game store I go to already has those. Has a reward card where 10% of your purchase goes into in store credit. Every day of the week they host a torment of something.
The also have several open game tables, used books are clean have a personal relationship, clean. I see it as an example of a game store done right, they also sell comics and collectables.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

To start off with, a discount card will not be offered. Later down the road, it might.

We were planning on having M:TG tournaments about twice a year. In the summer and after Christmas.

Also, we were thinking about MAYBE having a consignment section for diorama pieces.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Separate sections as a great idea. As are all of them. I'm making notes.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

An owner who knows cater toward his target audience.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Palladium Books
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

-A store that is well illuminated

-Clean

-Staff that is both courteous and knowledgeable. Nothing spoils my shopping experience more than a person working at a lgs who engages in edition warring. They are there to make you money and move product. As well as explain the workings of a rpg, card game, boardgame or minis. NOTHING more. This applies to everyone working there including family. If they refuse give them one chance than fire them summarily. Again that includes family. Money and time go into creating a business. As well insist on hiring people with knowledge of the products I mentioned. A store that has knowledgeable staff means clients coming back

-Well ventilated with a AC unit in the summer and heat in the winter.

-Furniture that is clean and well maintained. I hesitate to say new because it maybe expensive

-In a mall where one can have rude or shoplifting clients thrown out.

-A mix of everything. Rpgs, cards, mins and even some boardgames. If you can afford it a small selection of comics and books.

-Order in products for clients. Though I recommend having them leave a deposit. Otherwise they don't come to pick it up and your left with stuff that may not sell.

-A discount card. What I mean is that on one of the lgs I go to. They have a card that has twenty square on it. Each square is only filled with a 10$ purchase or more. When it gets filled out completely its 20$ off any product.

-A used section. Be VERY careful what you buy from clients. Everyone thinks that their gaming is worth million. The LGS I go to the popular stuff like D&D gets top dollar because they can move it quickly. Stuff like Palladium books gets you almost nothing as it's not popular at least in my neck of the woods. It makes no sense as a buyer to give top dollar on unpopular rpgs. A good forumla is that if one is going to sell a used rpg for 20$ to give 10$ for it.

-Be polite then insist that any client that has bad body odor shower when coming into the store. I know it sounds rude yet as a owner I would not want people who stink up the place. It keeps clients away as well the smell never goes away.

-Have someone set up who knows the value of cards such as magic and minis and who can sell and buy them for the store. Just like used rpgs used magic cards and minis can make money for the store. As well as be ready to sell entire collections of new magic sets and d&d minis. I have a freind I game with who buys a entire set of the latest Pathfinder minis

-Minmize loitering in the store. Unless a magic tournament or organized 5E or Pathfinder play is going on it's a place of business. Not a cafe. Customer should be buying stuff not spending their entire days reading rpg books. The exception is Magic players as they usual buy or sell cards and generate more income for the store.

-Have a website online and keep it up to date with the latest inventory. With social media and the internet some clients don't even go to a store to check what is new.

-Offer gift wrapping. Clients love it when others wrap stuff for them.

-Gaming space kept seperate from store space. It keeps the noise level down.

-Offer food and drink but make sure clients pick up after themselves politely.

-Gaming Space

-Offer to hold organized magic tournaments. PF and 5E organized play as well.

That's all for now
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Keep it clean and well-lit. My biggest pet peeve in any store (not just a gaming store) is dust on the shelves, or the lighting is so bad I can barely see what I'm looking at. Host gaming events (rpg's, card games, w/e) frequently and consistently. They don't have to be "sanctioned," just offer the opportunity for people to come together for the fun.

Make sure you and your staff are polite and engaging with customers. Another big pet peeve I have with gaming stores is when the owners or employees are too busy gaming or chatting with friends to actually take any interest in the customer. If you're running the store, run it. If you want to play or goof off, then get someone else to run it while you do that. Don't leave the customer's hanging.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

The FLGS here where live sells cold sodas and snacks in addition to the standard RPG fare.

One thing I suggest is something few game stores think to sell.
Pens, Pencils, and note books or loose leaf ruled paper. (these are game supplies as well folks).
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Trying not to repeat what others have said.....but only skimmed the other posts...

Game rooms......proper HVAC....with the ability to dehumidify the air. Lot of bodies in a small space make for a humid time.

Board and card games.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Clean Bathrooms along with HVAC. You may also want to invest in showers and soap.

Card based games such as Magic. From what I hear it can pay for the store monthly. If you can find a reliable and steady judge to run it. Make sure that you can be the place to go for it.
pblackcrow
Champion

Damian Magecraft wrote:The FLGS here where live sells cold sodas and snacks in addition to the standard RPG fare.

One thing I suggest is something few game stores think to sell.
Pens, Pencils, and note books or loose leaf ruled paper. (these are game supplies as well folks).

A note for when I find where my nephew put my pad of paper: Cardstock, multiple types of graph paper, parchment, and index card as well. Pencil sharpeners and erasers.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

Should we have a small section for LARPers and SCA?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Sureshot
Champion

While they should care paper supplies it's not a must IMO. There a point where consumers has to think and plan ahead. Same with showers. It's a gaming store not the local gym or YMCA. Again plan ahead and shower. Or have the common courtesy not go into the store stinking like roadkill.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

pblackcrow wrote:Should we have a small section for LARPers and SCA?

Not at first...I would wait, but have catalogs to order them...Definitely! Although, the closest location to a shop that does carry the like is in Greensboro, I THINK!!! So, maybe later.

And no, we are not going to have a shower! Nor are we going to discourage loitering! They can hang out, as long as they are not at the counter or annoying the ones that have a privet game in progress sign on the door.
Sureshot
Champion

I would be careful about allowing too much loitering. Otherwise the same people will come again day after day and just read while not purchasing anything. Too much of that and the books on the shelf get a well read look that discourages consumers from buying them. Unless I'm buying used I want my new purchase to be as pristine as can be. In not interested in buying a copy of RUE with creased, smudged, or oily covers and pages. At the very least insist that people was their hands before reading a book. I know it's basic common sense to do so. Yet people need to be reminded.

To the op its a business you are running. Either get in the right mindset to do so or IMO don't waste the time and money. It's not easy thing to do and if it fails well the money invested well you don't get it back. I'm sounding somewhat like s jerk but too often I hear or read about people getting into business thinking it's going to be easy and not willing to do what needs to be done to succeed.

Enlightened Grognard

Sureshot
Champion

As well when customers return stuff make sure to ask they have a receipt. Sometimes a customer will buy s product from one store. Don't like it and try to return it at another store. Or mention that the product has to be in good and sellable condition. Otherwise people will attempt to return damaged product.

Having worked in retail for the last 15 years you pick up certain things.

Enlightened Grognard

cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

I'd ignore any advice that cautions against loitering. Gaming/comic book stores are havens for people to hang out all day. They also tend to buy stuff as they stay there, drinks, snacks, the odd comic or game that looks interesting, a pick-up sealed deck tournament of this or that. It's easy enough to let them know not to treat your stock as a library, but you want them in your shop for as long as possible. Thus make it comfortable, clean and inviting. More people inside also means more walk-ins as people see a full shop and are subconsciously drawn to check it out.

I've worked in, owned and helped start up about 4 comic and gaming shops in my life, and I could write pages upon pages of advice, but what is already here is a good start.

Though one thing if you can swing it; food, honest to god real food. Snack are okay, but if you can offer pre-packaged sandwiches, flat-breads, pizza, baked goods, coffee and the like, you will make a killing, especially on those "loiterers"
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
pblackcrow
Champion

Sureshot wrote:I would be careful about allowing too much loitering. Otherwise the same people will come again day after day and just read while not purchasing anything. Too much of that and the books on the shelf get a well read look that discourages consumers from buying them. Unless I'm buying used I want my new purchase to be as pristine as can be. In not interested in buying a copy of RUE with creased, smudged, or oily covers and pages. At the very least insist that people was their hands before reading a book. I know it's basic common sense to do so. Yet people need to be reminded.

To the op its a business you are running. Either get in the right mindset to do so or IMO don't waste the time and money. It's not easy thing to do and if it fails well the money invested well you don't get it back. I'm sounding somewhat like s jerk but too often I hear or read about people getting into business thinking it's going to be easy and not willing to do what needs to be done to succeed.

Um, what he meant by that was if people want to come in, hang out, and look around...That's fine!!! But they most certainly will not be aloud to read or use the books until they buy them! Heck, if we get the old video shop, players waiting on the GM to show up or another player can surf the net in "the dungeon cell" and enjoy some coffee, hot chocolate, or tea. Think of "the dungeon cell" as the lounge area. As long as they don't start humping the skeletons or the manikin corps on the cardboard torture rack. Video cameras are everywhere though. The skeleton will be rigged to come on every 15 minutes or so and in a ghostly voice sing "I Ain't Got No Body." Although we may hook up a motion detector to it. Victor would like to fix it until if someone should start to turn the rack, the body says "tighter, tighter! Yes, yes, yes." but we have already said, "NO!" to that.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:I've worked in, owned and helped start up about 4 comic and gaming shops in my life, and I could write pages upon pages of advice

Go for it, please!!!
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Sureshot
Champion

Having worked in a bookstore one has to be careful with too much loitering. We used to have a table with chairs and couches. The couches and tables were removed because with the table people were taking books mostly exam guides like Gre and simply copying them. Which is against the law. The managers ignored my advice until a representative from Kaplan or was ur Princeton Review made a visit. Apparently a good Samaritan decided to report on what was going on. The rep was pissed and we were fined. You bet those tables disappeared the next day. The couches they never cleaned. Became dirty and clients would pass out and sleep for hours at a time. Nothing beats trying to wake a customer that drools. Those disappeared as well after we were bought out by another rival company. One wants both s friendly and professional looking business. Clients passed out in your placd of business makes the business look like a homeless shelter.

Loitering is good to a certain extent. It shows the customers are interested. When it's the same customers over and over chances are good they ain't buying anything and using the store just to pass the time. Which is a good thing if they buy product. If all they do is read and nothing else it's clients that you don't want IMO. At my licsl gaming store I can loiter. It's because I have proven to the owners that I buy product. I'm friendly with the staff and know them by name. I called the store to refer clients to theirs when we did not carry a item. I'm willing to sometimes help out with questions and don't cause trouble.

Enlightened Grognard

Sureshot
Champion

women are gamers as well. Sometimes store staff have some backwards attitudes about that. Assuming that they are buying for their boyfriend and not for themselves. As well nothing annoys a female client more than being stared at by everyone in the store. I suggest discouraging such behaviour.

Keep a eye on people with bags. Espcislly big empty ones. It's sometimes the sign of a shoplifter.

Lock your bathrooms. At the store I go go they had to start doing this because a client would take a booster of minis or cRds into the bathroom open them up and shove the contents into their pockets or bags.

Discourage non-store related purchase in store. What I mean is that someone has minis and begins selling them in store. If they want to do that they can do it outside if the store. Just seems rude to me.

Limit the use of the bathroom. Unless they buy something. Not for the regular customers. A guy comes in uses your bathroom and walks right out. Well 98% of the time he ain't coming back. As well restrict the use on certain holidays. If your cook with a bunch of St Patrick day revellers using the bathroom let them use it. Be prepared to clean up the mess or call s plumber if they clog IT bad enough.

Hire attentive staff who spend enough time but not hours with clients. It's all nice to give everyone all the time in the world. Come Christmas it's simply not possible. As well as allow rmoyees to talk amongst each other yet make sure they get work done and help clients. Nothing loses a sale faster than a client bring ignored.

As well as patient. This is extremely important. As you msg get vague questions such as "I'm looking for a certain rpg. I don't remember the name, author or title. Just that the cover might be green. Or ask for recommendations yet shoot down each one. Or even worse the one who verbally lashes out expecting you to know everyyhing and anything because they forgot to write it down. Nothing ruins a day more than that.

Enlightened Grognard

Sureshot
Champion

Make sure to allow customers to use debit and credit cards. There used to be a store that specialized in fantasy and science-fiction. One of the big reasons they went under is that clients would get to the cash. Be told the only way to pay is cash. Not many people carry cash. ATM is optional.

Long store hours. I know it's tempting to close at 6 pm everyday yet if possible stay open later on other says besides Thursday and Friday. Weekend I recommend tegsr store hours and open Sunday's as well.

Enlightened Grognard

cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist

pblackcrow wrote:
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:I've worked in, owned and helped start up about 4 comic and gaming shops in my life, and I could write pages upon pages of advice

Go for it, please!!!

it may already be too late on this, but please, please, please, go over all your location options. Haggle, beg, threaten and do whatever it takes to get the right location and more importantly for the right price. And this is why;

A couple of friends of mine wanted to open up their own comic book store and came to me for advice on some of the ins and outs of doing so. So I agreed, me and the wife went to dinner with them and I talked their ears off for about two hours on what they should be looking out for, despite knowing that people don't want advice, people want confirmation of what they are already thinking or are going to do. It's most likely true in this case, so watch for that. Anyways, one of the biggest things I tried to warn them about was location and rent. Location is important, though not so much to this line of business as others, gamers, dorks and nerds WILL find you, but rent is a key issue.

The next day, they call me up and tell me they've found a possible location that they want me to come look at. I go after work and find it to be a pretty large space that used to be a mexican restaurant about 7 years ago, and thus need A LOT of work. They tell me the rent, which is about four times what I had told them the previous night to be looking for, and I tell them they should probably keep looking. The next day they text me and tell me they signed a lease.

Fast forward to the present day, they put an amazing amount of work into the space and it is nothing like the beaten up old restaurant it once was, it's clean, well lit, incredibly well stocked, the owners are hard working and professional and very nice, they cosplay, have story time with children, have a coffee shop and cafe on site and basically are doing everything incredibly right. Unfortunately, none of that matters, the rent they agreed to is killing them.

So please, please take this story as a warning for location and price. Take a moment and sit down and figure out exactly how many packs/boxes of whatever game is currently the rage in your town it would take to hit just the rent, if the answer comes up to a palate or more...RUN!

Unless you live in some sort of gamer mecca that doesn't already have a gaming store, it isn't going to happen. You shouldn't expect to make a nickel of profit in your first year if you are lucky and will most likely not even be breaking even by the 6th month mark.

Opening your own small business is definitely a case were you need to plan for the absolute worst. You'll make no money for a long time (meaning you'll probably have to work another job to support yourself and your store for a few months), you'll put in long hours, you'll neglect your health and sleep and after all of that you might (probably) still fail. That all said, it is about the best job in the world and if you can find that magical combination for you and your area, it can be a great if not rich life.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Sureshot
Champion

Good advice Cyber.

Close to or esdy to get access to with public transport or car. Walking there to yet that might be expensive in rent.

Enlightened Grognard

pblackcrow
Champion

Sureshot wrote:Having worked in a bookstore one has to be careful with too much loitering. We used to have a table with chairs and couches. The couches and tables were removed because with the table people were taking books mostly exam guides like Gre and simply copying them. Which is against the law. The managers ignored my advice until a representative from Kaplan or was ur Princeton Review made a visit. Apparently a good Samaritan decided to report on what was going on. The rep was pissed and we were fined. You bet those tables disappeared the next day. The couches they never cleaned. Became dirty and clients would pass out and sleep for hours at a time. Nothing beats trying to wake a customer that drools. Those disappeared as well after we were bought out by another rival company. One wants both s friendly and professional looking business. Clients passed out in your placd of business makes the business look like a homeless shelter.

Loitering is good to a certain extent. It shows the customers are interested. When it's the same customers over and over chances are good they ain't buying anything and using the store just to pass the time. Which is a good thing if they buy product. If all they do is read and nothing else it's clients that you don't want IMO. At my licsl gaming store I can loiter. It's because I have proven to the owners that I buy product. I'm friendly with the staff and know them by name. I called the store to refer clients to theirs when we did not carry a item. I'm willing to sometimes help out with questions and don't cause trouble.

What you're talking about are pests. BIG DIFFERENCE!!! By the way, your boss was a twit. Rest assured that will not be any of that with any of us running it. Though, if we do it, I will be in charge of the ordering, stocking, interior design, advertising, other odd jobs...possibly cleanup. The rest of them can run the store. And I don't mind it! After all, I am nonverbal and I know how to write very professionally and am a wiz when it comes to graphics and logos.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist

I also caution going into business with friends. If you do so, make sure that everyone is 110% knowledgeable about the terms of your partnership, what is expected of each one, and most importantly what to do when someone is not pulling their weight in the shop...trust me on this.

Sureshot
Champion

cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:I also caution going into business with friends. If you do so, make sure that everyone is 110% knowledgeable about the terms of your partnership, what is expected of each one, and most importantly what to do when someone is not pulling their weight in the shop...trust me on this.

Agreed and seconded. Too often friends or family who get hired by the same tend to assume they can get away with anything. Simply because of being a friend or family. Be upfront about telling them that if they don't pull their weight friend or family they will not be treated differently. If it means firing someone who is a friend for 20+ or your own son. If you don't it sets a bad example.

pblackcrow wrote:What you're talking about are pests. BIG DIFFERENCE!!! By the way, your boss was a twit. Rest assured that will not be any of that with any of us running it. Though, if we do it, I will be in charge of the ordering, stocking, interior design, advertising, other odd jobs...possibly cleanup. The rest of them can run the store. And I don't mind it! After all, I am nonverbal and I know how to write very professionally and am a wiz when it comes to graphics and logos.

You would be surprised at what clients will try to get away with. I have had more than one try and ask 50% on a product simply for a crease that was barely noticeable unless one went out of their way to look for it. Just be prepared. If it's your first time running a store expect to be surprised. As for my bosses yeah the kept saying and still do that the internet was not having a effect on book sales. When we went from having stores with people who shopped all the time to the regulars who buy nothing and read all day outnumbering the customers some days.

If your planning to allow customers to order stuff be honest that you can't get it. As well expect a customer if it takes longer for you to research why. If your asking for deposits for orders it's only fair. Even if it means doing it more than once. At the same time it's okay to politely tell a customer a order takes time. If I say a order takes 4-6 weeks and the customer comes a week later to ask well it's not in yet.
Apologies for previous spelling mistakes autocorrect on my iphone is acting all wonky since the last update.

Enlightened Grognard

Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Sureshot wrote:
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:I also caution going into business with friends. If you do so, make sure that everyone is 110% knowledgeable about the terms of your partnership, what is expected of each one, and most importantly what to do when someone is not pulling their weight in the shop...trust me on this.

Agreed and seconded. Too often friends or family who get hired by the same tend to assume they can get away with anything. Simply because of being a friend or family. Be upfront about telling them that if they don't pull their weight friend or family they will not be treated differently. If it means firing someone who is a friend for 20+ or your own son. If you don't it sets a bad example.

AMEN! I ran a small retail/wholesale outfit for a while - not only did I have to repeatedly drive home to the owner that his employees were NOT friends (and thus he should stop trying to pry into their lives - almost got a sexual harassment lawsuit out of that one), but I also had to fire my younger brother because he thought he could lay down a "It's me or her" ultimatum to me regarding another coworker. He even stopped speaking to me for over a year until his wife finally slapped him upside the head and told him I was right.

So yeah, make sure people know what their roles are, and have an exit strategy and specific criteria so that people know where the line is.

On a different matter, the reason I go to a certain game store (and not either of the two other shops that are closer to my home) is because the staff is wonderful! Friendly, obviously happy to be working there, and the manager is constantly coming out of his office to walk the floor, talk to the customers, shake hands, and thank them for coming in and for their business. For me, that makes the extra 20 minutes of driving time worth it.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
pblackcrow
Champion

Agreed with everything!!! And no, it's so not anyone's 1st time in retail. Though, I worked at the office mostly. Bookkeeping, fax and online orders, etc. Had fun! Would still be doing it, but they closed during the last 3 years of W's reign.
Last edited by pblackcrow on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

A soda and a snack vending machine.
So people don't have to leave to get quasi-food items to consume.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Actually, we've met with the renter they sent out yesterday. We didn't sign anything yet! It will be the spring before we do that. So we do have a while to think about things!
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

We do welcome advise.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Shannon, what do you think of doing black lights in the gaming areas for when it's night time and the dioramas are outside? Something to make it pop? I realize it might make it hard to read the papers.

Also, with the sliding walls, do you think that you could rig up some battery operated silk fake flame torches for them?
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

The Beast wrote:Palladium Books

Where is that +1 or like button..... absolute must!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Sureshot
Champion

My advice when it comes to rpgs is that you research what is popular in the area where the store is going to be located. Get the stuff that moves first then order the less popular stuff. Even if it means ordering PB at a later date. My local gaming store is carrying less and less of the rpgs that don't sell. It's all nice to carry a large variety. Not so good when it gathers dust on the shelves.

Enlightened Grognard

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

To start off it's going to be M:TG, some minis, paint supplies, dioramas, rooms, gaming tables, and triple corrugated cardboard walls with stone wallpaper. With the understanding that other games and accessories can be easily ordered!
pblackcrow
Champion

There will also be dice, drinks, food, pencils, paper, etc.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

And yeah, that would be easy to do. Heck, I've done 5' silk flames before. So, shouldn't be a problem. But that will be good for giving us a grip or 2.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

pblackcrow wrote:There will also be dice, drinks, food, pencils, paper, etc.

Well, yeah! That was sort of a given. And I would also like to have some of those fancy boxes my cousin makes for his friends for their cards and some good solid dice towers as well.

A bit of background on Shannon (PBlackCrow) folks...He is the man with the great ideas. Triple walled corrugated cardboard and foam was what they used on the sets he helped out on for some major LARP game, which is still being used. Who knew it would be so simple to do sliding walls? Plus it will insulate the rooms and provide a certain degree of sound proofing. Which is perfect for us gamers who like to yell, cuss, cry, and scream at the loss of a character. Of course their won't be any outlets on those walls. Plus, we will be spraying everything down with a flame retardant. So if there is ever an ever actually fire there, we hopefully won't get burnt. This is all in the event that the gaming store actually happens. At this point, WHO KNOWS?

Thanks you to all of you for your help, and if you guys have anymore ideas or suggestions, please let me or Shannon know by posting them on here or by PMing us.

Thank you again.

Shawn.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Paper towels for the restrooms....to get people back to gaming faster.

Yes, there has been a study about which is better between plowers and towels and the results were within the margin of error or to say, statistically the cost/benefits were the same overall.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Agreed! And while we're on the subject...a note for Shannon, to add either thieves oil to clean with or that Wonder Cleaner stuff and keep at least 2 boxes of gloves in stock in the cleaning closet at all times. Oh and thieves oil soap for the bathroom. Basically, I want to make it clean without the chemical crud we both find nauseating.

Now, time for work.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Paper towels for the restrooms....to get people back to gaming faster.

Yes, there has been a study about which is better between plowers and towels and the results were within the margin of error or to say, statistically the cost/benefits were the same overall.

if you think air-powered hand dryers are inherently slow, you just haven't seen the right air-powered hand dryers :P ;)

of course, it's entirely possible that once you get into the fancy ones (i've used some dyson ones, and yes they really do dry your hands extremely well in under 10 seconds - probably more effectively than towels, actually) the cost gets unpleasantly high... just saying, it *is* possible.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

There are columns and blogs by game store owners on the web and I highly recommend you hunt them down. My main suggestion is to realize that traditional retail is dead for hobbies and the new normal is the creation of a community. Whatever you can do to create a community is what must be done. Also, you can't expect your community to buy games from you and that's why secondary sale items like Coke and chips and individual minis are key items.

There's a healthfood store near me who has an interesting sale concept. Whenever you spend more, you get a bigger discount and at the higher levels, the discounts beat what I could get online, atop the fact that the store's people are extremely knowledgeable and friendly. I have no idea if that model is an option in the game world.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Involved Observer wrote:
Sureshot wrote:

AMEN! I ran a small retail/wholesale outfit for a while - not only did I have to repeatedly drive home to the owner that his employees were NOT friends (and thus he should stop trying to pry into their lives - almost got a sexual harassment lawsuit out of that one), but I also had to fire my younger brother because he thought he could lay down a "It's me or her" ultimatum to me regarding another coworker. He even stopped speaking to me for over a year until his wife finally slapped him upside the head and told him I was right.

So yeah, make sure people know what their roles are, and have an exit strategy and specific criteria so that people know where the line is.

On a different matter, the reason I go to a certain game store (and not either of the two other shops that are closer to my home) is because the staff is wonderful! Friendly, obviously happy to be working there, and the manager is constantly coming out of his office to walk the floor, talk to the customers, shake hands, and thank them for coming in and for their business. For me, that makes the extra 20 minutes of driving time worth it.

I will second what I have highlighted.
Whenever I want to buy a new game for my PS4 instead of going to the E.B. Games at the mall, which is like 2 minutes by car from my house, I go to the next city over. Granted the next city over is only like 10 minutes max by car by I feel my point is still valid.

At the mall location they have a tendency to hire empty headed girls who know nothing about gaming and care more about trying to flirt up larger sales. Also it's pretty gross to be in what I consider a "family store" and the manager is talking about bending another employee while she is vacuuming with a line full of families. I thought this was E.B. not Hooters?

The other location is filled with helpful staff who are actual gamers (guys and girls included) and none of that other nonsense goes on there. So we have now given them all of our business and I spend a fair bit of money on gaming, also I know I'm not the only one who no longer goes to the mall location for the exact same reason.

A lot of the good employees have transferred to this location or the one in the north end of my city. One guy transferred to a store that was 45 minutes by car just to get out of there.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”