What are somethings you'd like to see at a gaming shop?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Re: What are somethings you'd like to see at a gaming shop?

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Spinachcat wrote:There are columns and blogs by game store owners on the web and I highly recommend you hunt them down. My main suggestion is to realize that traditional retail is dead for hobbies and the new normal is the creation of a community. Whatever you can do to create a community is what must be done. Also, you can't expect your community to buy games from you and that's why secondary sale items like Coke and chips and individual minis are key items.

You are exactly right! That is what I am trying to stress to the others who are like: "We can order this or that right off the bat." And Shawn and I are like, "No! Order Magic: The Gathering cards and things like minis, have some homemade stuff there as well." We can let people know that we can order books and LARPing supplies for them.

Most of our profits will be from Magic: The Gathering, people who want to rent tables from us (be it with a Diorama for minis; a Magic table [which are incredibly easy to make]; or a plain gaming table), as well as from food and drinks. Plus, we will host "Friday Night Magic", once a month.

The house rules are simple. When children are present, no cussing. Note: saying, "You Ogre humping, demon spawned, son of Baba Yaga!", does NOT qualify as cussing...So if you must cuss, keep it in game terms. No bringing food or beverages in, unless a tournament is in progress. No smoking, although e-cigs will be permitted.

We are wanting to start small and build.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

If your going to do Magic, find someone who is a judge. Judges will make or break your store from what I have heard. And they generally have 'territories' from what I understand.
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

correct, you want a DCI certified judge, and you should really run FNM every Friday, not once a month. Also, I'd caution renting table space, unless you can offer an out of this world experience, charging for table space smacks of desperation. Charge too little and what is the point, charge too much and they'll just play at their house. You want to bring in the customer and get them to stay there and make impulse buys; singles, books, snacks, memorabilia, etc. That is how you make money at a gaming store.

You build a community by having a fun, clean atmosphere to play at that is a better option than someone's kitchen table or basement. Prizes, events, parties, free food at tournaments and FNM (my LGS does pizza and popcorn on FNM, but even donuts and coffee are greatly appreciated). You also want to be a part of the games, that means knowing them and playing them, you need to be able to "talk shop" about the newest set or combo as well as be able to play it, and this goes for all games. Know just not MtG, but also HeroClix, Warhammer, Star Wars, My Little Pony (shudder), Pokemon and also a host of board games. Have a night once a month or more that you demo a new game, offer incentives for people who try it (a free booster pack, 10% off the demo'd game, whatever) and host free gaming clinics, for the construction of war gaming terrain or other "art project" type stuff.

just some stuff to think on.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
godsgopher
Wanderer

Unread post by godsgopher »

This may have already been mentioned but successful gamestore owners are salesmen first and gamers second. As a business owner your customers favorite game is your favorite game. Owners who don't understand this typically don't stay in business very long.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Yes, well, I will soon loose PBlackCrow to either Canada, CA, or England. And I honesty can't blame him one bit for wanting out of TN.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

As well if it has not been mentioned before. Keep a eye out for parents with children. More often than not they assume your keeping a eye out for their kids. Leaving their kids unattended to wreck havoc in a store. As well your job is to run the store not be a nanny. It's one of the things a customers found out the hard way. Leave the kids in the children section assuming the booksellers would keep an eye on them. Go to Starbucks and then the kid wanders off and gets lost.

godsgopher wrote:This may have already been mentioned but successful gamestore owners are salesmen first and gamers second. As a business owner your customers favorite game is your favorite game. Owners who don't understand this typically don't stay in business very long.

Seconded. Very much this. For example even if say a gamestore hates 4E and likes Pathfinder it's his business to learn all he can about 4E. So that he can sell it to a interested party. As well no one and I mean no one is interested in hearing edition warring or negative comments about the rpg that they are buying. I don't care if it's your store or your right to freedom of speech. I don't want to hear your negative opinion about any rpg I'm interested in. Smart game store owners keep their mouths closed and their opinions to themselves unless specifically asked.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

Sureshot wrote:I mean no one is interested in hearing edition warring or negative comments about the rpg that they are buying. I don't care if it's your store or your right to freedom of speech. I don't want to hear your negative opinion about any rpg I'm interested in. Smart game store owners keep their mouths closed and their opinions to themselves unless specifically asked.

I don't know how often I hear from Game Store owners about Palladium and their horrible track record. But if I ask about a Palladium Product, either a) they don't know about it b) they go on a tirade about Palladium.

I don't get it so much from other game systems. Except for Synnibarr and systems that are out of print.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Tiree wrote:I don't know how often I hear from Game Store owners about Palladium and their horrible track record. But if I ask about a Palladium Product, either a) they don't know about it b) they go on a tirade about Palladium.

That'as not the way to run a business imo. When I was a bookseller I dislike and still do that George Martin takes so long with his books. I'm still going to recommend them to someone interested in a good fantasy read imo. Then they wonder about lgs going under.

Tiree wrote:I don't get it so much from other game systems. Except for Synnibarr and systems that are out of print.

Then your lucky.

I stopped going to my lgs for awhile because the people who worked there had become rpg snobs. Always commenting on what they hated or like. Another she was always calling rpgs crap. It was "all crap" to her. Another kept trying to get me to buy rpgs that were "well written". It all came to ahead one day. I had a few words with both and left. They all eventually were fired. Behavior like that is bad for business. I went back thinking I had been banned. Except I was a loyal customer who bought product on a regular basis. I got to know most if not all the employees on a first name basis. While I worked at the bookstore I did my best to send business there way when I could. Finally the boss had his fill of all three.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Thank you all for your help. This will be my last post, at least for awhile. I am going to be moving as well, only to San Fran.

Once again, thank you.

Shawn.
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

When you get to San Fran - let me know. I can tell you about the three gaming conventions and gaming stores in the East Bay/Peninsula.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”