dragons and gods question for rifts

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

greathorned
D-Bee

dragons and gods question for rifts

Unread post by greathorned »

hi everyone.

unless I'm reading it wrong in dragons and gods it says that great horned dragons get 4d6sdc breath weapon, so my question is for a rifts game do I convert that to 4d6mdc breath weapon dmg??? also in the RUE book all the other species of dragon get around 10mdc increase per lvl of exp, would anyone do around the same for species not listed in the RUE book...

thanks
Dreamstreamer
Wanderer

Re: dragons and gods question for rifts

Unread post by Dreamstreamer »

First, welcome to the boards!

Stats for the Great Horned Dragon hatchling are in the original Rifts Main Book. It's fire breath damage is listed as 2D6 M.D., with a range of 60 ft. Base MDC is listed as 1D4x100+50, but it doesn't list an increase per level.

That said, your conversion looks perfectly acceptable to me. Are you planning this character as a PC or NPC?
A billion years is too short a time to accomplish everything you can imagine, for imagination is infinite.
greathorned
D-Bee

Unread post by greathorned »

thank you for the welcome... yeah I have the original core rulebook I just liked the dragons and gods write up a little better.

I will most likely use it for a npc since I will be the gm for my upcoming rifts game. I found it kind of interesting that the dragons and gods book listed it as 4d6 sdc which in my opinion converts to 4d6mdc, while the original core rulebook and conversion book have it 2d6 for hatchlings. I feel the breath weapon for dragons is underpowered, I think it should be more along 2d4-2d6 x10 mdc, at least in line with the damage of a supernatural power punch..

the RUE book gives dragons increase in mdc per level, although great horned dragons are not listed.
Dreamstreamer
Wanderer

Unread post by Dreamstreamer »

Luckily, mixing and matching is pretty dang easy with Palladium Books' games. I believe the Great Horned Dragon (GHD) Hatchling's breath damage is intentionally lower than the Fire Dragon (FD) Hatchling (2D6 vs. 6D6) so the GHD doesn't eliminate the FD's only schtick. The GHD is just plain better in every other way to the FD (except the Spd. attribute, which is one die smaller), so to me it makes sense to give the FD something to be better at than the GHD. YMMV.

Now as GM, you can make the damage whatever you want. That said, putting it in line with a power punch seems excessive. For example, a power punch takes 2(?) actions to perform and has a range limited by reach. You want to give the creature the ability to continuously (no limit/ammo to track) do the same damage more quickly (one action) and at a distance (granted, 60 ft. isn't real far) with no downside? Ouch!
A billion years is too short a time to accomplish everything you can imagine, for imagination is infinite.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

When I think of a dragon, I think of the classic movie Dragonslayer and of course Smaug. To me the fire breath of a dragon is
what its known for. If a dragon can cast fire elemental spells that does more damage than their breath weapon then why
would he even use it for? Yeah it uses P.P.E. but spell casting for a dragon is a drop in the bucket of P.P.E. For the great horn
dragon I have +10 points of damage per level of experience using its fire breath. I do the same with all the other dragons (the
damage varies), except for the Hydra, he's dangerous alone as is. Other than that your conversion ideas seem perfectly
reasonable.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”