Paper Miniatures

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Paper Miniatures

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Okay, so the Palladium Fantasy Paper Miniatures have been in the market for a while and more are on the way... but how interested are the fans in expanding this into the other lines? Right now I'm doing packages that average out to 24 full color minis for $5.99, which works out to about 25 cents apiece, all at 28mm..

Here's some pictures of the paper minis I had at GenCon; note that there's a Seljuk ala Phase World in there too.

Here's a sample Super Hero..

Here's a sample Leyline Walker..

And Here's a sample Grackletooth...

I've also recently acquired all the resources I need to do some pretty gory zombies, so Dead Reign isn't out of the question either.

Oh, and this is a project that doesn't take much more than 1/2 an hour of Wayne's time per package, so it's not distracting anyone or delaying other products..

Thoughts?
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Paper Miniatures

Unread post by jaymz »

I'd be up for it. I aleady make my own but being official and all is a definite plus.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I have already purchased the first waves and they are really good. The Phase World ones you let me use were also a big hit at Gen Con, even though some were black & white (my printer issues not the minis) and not every character had one.

I think this is probably the best thing for Rifts and if you take requests a Glitter Boy and some Brodkil would rock.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I do have a question...would you be doing larger things like say a UAR-1 Enforcer? or even a X-5000 Devastator? THAT would ROCK!
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

jaymz wrote:I do have a question...would you be doing larger things like say a UAR-1 Enforcer? or even a X-5000 Devastator? THAT would ROCK!

If he is doing a dragon...we can hope
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Very true... :ok:

I know a Deaths Head is definitely out of the question based on the one I did myself (though mine was more 3d not 2d).....DAMN that would be huge.

\m/
MADMANMIKE

Sorry, but the complexity involved with capturing specific designs of powered armor and robots is extremely prohibitive.. I'm not a modeler, so it's doubtful that I'd go there.

Characters and races are about the extent of it. I have several sets of armor that can approximate existing designs (such as Gladiator and old style Deadboy), but nothing close enough to a Glitterboy that I'd feel confident making one..
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I would definitely be up to buying paper minis if create some for Rifts, HU2, and/or Dead Reign.......i've made my own for a D20 game i run.......

I seem to have more play interest with a game if it has minis to move around on a table
The Dragon Has Spoken
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Well, you might not do a pose, but the RMB and RUE has a front and back picture of the Glitterboy. It's not a great pose, but it should work in a pinch. Just colorize it and call it good... right?
MADMANMIKE

Tiree wrote:Well, you might not do a pose, but the RMB and RUE has a front and back picture of the Glitterboy. It's not a great pose, but it should work in a pinch. Just colorize it and call it good... right?

Sorry, that would be the artistic equivalent of adding a puppet to the cast of your show because you couldn't get a specific actor..
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

MADMANMIKE wrote:
Tiree wrote:Well, you might not do a pose, but the RMB and RUE has a front and back picture of the Glitterboy. It's not a great pose, but it should work in a pinch. Just colorize it and call it good... right?

Sorry, that would be the artistic equivalent of adding a puppet to the cast of your show because you couldn't get a specific actor..

I guess I don't get the difference. If I drew a front view and a back view of an individual, And I did it 'well enough' that you couldn't tell the difference if it was a CG Model or not, it's a 2D representation of a figure. It's not an 'action pose' so what! Yeah you would be using other people's artistic creativity, but you are already doing that by using a CG Modeling software with prebuilt stuff.

But hey - it's your work, and your time and effort. I was just trying to be helpful.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

MADMANMIKE wrote:

hey, it works for the muppets ^^
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Still loving your work Mike. Rifts ones would be neat, like coalition and Lemurian.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

Jerell wrote:Still loving your work Mike. Rifts ones would be neat, like coalition and Lemurian.

I agree... Crazies, Juicers, Coalition troops, techno wizs, Xicitix, etc..
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
MADMANMIKE

Phaze wrote:
Jerell wrote:Still loving your work Mike. Rifts ones would be neat, like coalition and Lemurian.

I agree... Crazies, Juicers, Coalition troops, techno wizs, Xicitix, etc..

Thanks guys.

As I mentioned, O.C.C.s and R.C.C.s would be the focus. I started this all with Heroes Unlimited minis for my game at the Last Open House. I've been building a library of resources for over a decade and perfecting my craft for that entire time. I realize that some people seem to think that making pictures with CG is as simple as pressing the "make art" button, but even a cursory examination of what's out there will show that it takes more than access to the tools to make a decent image.

I do my best and am always trying to one-up myself.
MADMANMIKE

A little update here;

Last week I turned in 3 more sets of Palladium Fantasy minis and this week a fourth bring the total to 6 sets; I'm waiting on an art contest prize to get some resources before I start the Elf set, but Monday's turn in was a set of 28 dwarves.

Also, I had a commission a few months ago that led me to do a Glitterboy; you can see that model on the cover of the next Rifter, so with some work I can put the power armors together. Not sure when I'll get to a RIFTS set though..

Here are some preview images of the next few sets, just waiting for Wayne to get a chance to upload them to drivethru:

Set 3: NPC Encounters
Set 4: Undead
Set 5: OCCs Female
Set 6: Dwarves
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

How have the first 2 sets, which I bought, sold? Above, below, or matched expectations?
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
MADMANMIKE

I'm not at liberty to share that sort of information.. I do expect that once we have more than just two sets in the market all of them will sell more as people start to adopt them for their games; the larger the variety available in a style, the more likely players are to buy them.
MADMANMIKE

Hallsofvallhalla
D-Bee

Unread post by Hallsofvallhalla »

Nice work Mike!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Not bad mike not bad at all :ok:

\m/
MADMANMIKE

Thanks guys.

I've completed the characters for the first set; RIFTS Paper Miniatures Set 1: Adventurers has 14 minis with bases in two formats, with male and female versions of the Body Fixer, City Rat, CyberDoc, Rogue Scholar, Rogue Scientist, Vagabond and Wilderness Scout.

Here's a preview of the front side artwork from each mini.

Next up - Deadboys. I think I'll do two sets, one with old style deadboy armor and one with new. Then Dogboys and Psi-Stalkers before I move on to the magic users and general Men at Arms.

Note that Operators and Robot Pilots will find their way into a round-out set with the Psychic classes.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Aces :ok:

\m/
Snake Eyes
Hero

:D awesome :D
The Dragon Has Spoken
MADMANMIKE

Here's a sample of the Headhunter Mini.
Snake Eyes
Hero

MADMANMIKE wrote:Here's a sample of the Headhunter Mini.

Very cool :-D
The Dragon Has Spoken
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

Can't wait to get these. We are starting a Rifts campaign soon and these would be great.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
MADMANMIKE

Set 2: Old Style Deadboys preview pic is up in my DA gallery.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Some of the best old style deadboys I've seen.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

MADMANMIKE wrote:Set 2: Old Style Deadboys preview pic is up in my DA gallery.

They look awesome, Mike.
:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
MADMANMIKE

Thanks. I'm going to get a few dogboys done and some Mark II deadboys before I go to print some myself; then I'll be able to do a diorama for the front page of all the RIFTS minis so they can go to market. Hopefully I'll have them ready by the end of next week.
Snake Eyes
Hero

MADMANMIKE wrote:Set 2: Old Style Deadboys preview pic is up in my DA gallery.

Those are cool :mrgreen:

Now hurry up and make some female style (dead girls) :lol:
The Dragon Has Spoken
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

So what is after Rifts? Rifts 2 - Bots and PA? HU? Fantasy 2?

\m/
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I think the Rifts paper minis could probably keep him going for a few years. I'm in favour.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
MADMANMIKE

jaymz wrote:So what is after Rifts? Rifts 2 - Bots and PA? HU? Fantasy 2?

Uhm.. there are already two Palladium Fantasy sets for sale (and a free sample set with quick combat rules and an arena map) available in the Palladium Catalog, and four more sets waiting to go up.. Those sets each have 24-28 minis in them, whereas I'm trying to keep the RIFTS minis down to 12-14 for a smaller price-point, and to keep a theme for each set.

Set 1 for RIFTS is the Adventure classes in my sig, Set 2 will be the old style Deadboys; In development are Dogboys, Deadboys MkII/new style, and the rest of the RUE character classes (see the cover of Rifter 69 for the Glitterboy).

While I have several for Heroes Unlimited in my stash, that's a difficult setting to nail down as everyone has their own ideas for what their super should look like.

I've got the goods to do Zombies in a wide variety (there are six in one of the PF sets), so Dead Reign is an easy launch..

I could conceivably do some for just about all the settings, it's just a matter of time between my day job, my family of six, and commissions to round out the income. I'm working on an independent author's Sci-Fi novels doing cover work and I'm always open for character commissions as well (which incidentally come with paper minis in this style too).

Also, these are 99% me; Kev approves the art and Wayne checks the little bit of text in each one, but these don't take more than an hour or so of their time away from other projects. I wanted to put something together that could make Palladium some money, fill a niche in the market, and maybe draw in some new gamers without adding work to their already overloaded schedules.
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

The Rifts Minis are top of my list! Go man Go!

Skelebots, Xiticix, Archie minions (including the 9 ft tall Shemarians, ooolala), maybe even a slaver barge and blind warrior woman.

Do this and I will throw money at you... Do it well, and I won't use coins. :)
MADMANMIKE

I'm doing a commission for a con game right now, some Lemurians and Milu baddies..
MADMANMIKE

Set 3: NPC Encounters is in the store now. Sets 4, 5 and 6 will be coming over the next couple of weeks, and when Bizantium comes out I should have a set or two done that cover it's classes as well.
MADMANMIKE

Set 4: Undead is now in the market; That gives a total of 104 Official Palladium Fantasy Paper Miniatures available at about 19 cents apiece!
Last edited by MADMANMIKE on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Sweet....

\m/
MADMANMIKE

Set 5: O.C.C.s Female now available!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Great,I hope they do Paper Miniatures of Phase world,s Occ and Rcc in 2015.
MADMANMIKE

gaby wrote:Great,I hope they do Paper Miniatures of Phase world,s Occ and Rcc in 2015.

If time permits..

This was a prototype of a Seljuk mini I had at GenCon last year...
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I wonder, could these be more viable to groups and GMs if they had some setting-themed and appropriately-scaled tactical map/posters/boards to move them around on?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
MADMANMIKE

I would think so, but I've not had the time to develop those too.. There are tons of modular mapping systems out there already though, take a look through the Paper miniatures section at DrivethruRPG.com..

Last year I did a commissioned map for a Beyond The Supernatural game ran at GenCon.. It was fun, but far more time consuming than making the minis..
MADMANMIKE

Here's a small preview of that map..
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Any chance you do a map of a Aliens Unlimited/Galaxy Guide,s ships?
MADMANMIKE

There are several ortho and cut-away shots of ships I've designed in my Deviant Art Gallery Here, and I certainly have considered doing deck-plan sets for sale, but it's hard to make it a priority right now..
MADMANMIKE

Had a wisdom tooth extracted last Monday and haven't had much focus through the pain since, but I was able to do a commission that will become a couple (or 3) sets of Heroes Unlimited Century Station minis.. Set one is Civilians, Set 2 is Cops; I'm thinking for Set 2 I'll add more uniforms and detectives and take the C-SWAT guys to a third set, that will include some Juggerman robots...

Civilians
Cops
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

:ok: :ok:

\m/

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”