Returning to the Megaverse®

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LexTaliones
D-Bee

Returning to the Megaverse®

Unread post by LexTaliones »

Hi. My name is Glen.

I am a Palladium® fan who lost touch with his P&P/RPG roots long ago when I became lost in drug abuse and other unhealthy life choices. I won't go into the dirty details, I'll just say I was out of control. After many years I eventually got out of that life with the help the woman who would become of my wonderful wife, and God. Afterwards, most of my free time was spent playing console and PC games as I found my way forward. I have always tried to re-capture the feeling I got when sitting down to roll dice with a group of friends. Though electronic gaming is fun, and has it's place ... I never found that feeling. Yes, I have played many games (MMOs being my main focus). Yes, I have made good friends and had genuine fun while playing those games. I always yearned for something more though. Now and again I did managed to find a small tabletop group and sit in for a while, but it always broke up we were all in the same process of (re)building our lives. I have also dabbled periodically in different systems, but it has always been Palladium® games I wanted to re-experience.

Now I'm finally coming back.

I'm in my Forties, with a great family, and living in a rural community in the heart of the mid-west. I have made some new friends, and though I still play PC and board games quite a bit, I have not had much outlet for my Palladium® craving (Other than just reading some of the books, and exploring on-line ... none actually). I'm re-building and expanding my Palladium® library, and delving forward to relearn what I've forgotten, as well as discover new offerings/settings from the Megaverse® (My first loves were Rifts®, Heroes Unlimited®, and Beyond the Supernatural®) There is a small gaming club in a nearby town that has a yearly mini-con that I have attended every year for the last 3 years where I have played board, and miniatures games. I'm hoping to be able to run something from the Palladium® system to get the ball rolling, and maybe find a regular group to play with. If all goes well, I'd like to pursue being a Megaversal Ambassador! I have also been exploring the possibilities of using a virtual/online tabletop so I can roll dice with a group remotely.

If anyone has any input that will help me on my way, I would greatly appreciate it. Though I am a previously experienced player, I am coming home from a long journey. I'm looking for tips, resources, knowledge ... guidance of any sort. I'm interested in anything Palladium®, and for Rifts® I've already purchased all the newest printings of the core books, two sourcebooks, all the conversion books, and three new world books to add to my existing fifteen other Rifts® books. I've also purchased all the Nightbane® books, all the Dead Reign™ books (including pre-ordering sourcebook five), and the Heroes Unlimited 2nd Ed rulebook. I'm very serious about not only getting back into the Megaverse®, and promoting it locally as well as online.

Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there, and see if anyone is listening. I'm looking forward to any contact with other Palladium® fans, especially any guidance and information you're willing to give. Thanks for your time!

-Glen
"It puts the lotion on it's skin ... or else it gets the hose again."
Alpha 11
Palladin

Re: Returning to the Megaverse®

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

:D Welcome back! Glad you were about to turn your life around! It always great to hear stories like that. If you haven't heard, they are having an Open House next May! If you can, try and come to it and have a blast playing games, and hanging with other people who love Palladium!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Well for Rifts, getting the Game Master Guide and Book of Magic are a must. Also the Adventure Guide is an excellent book to have for a variety of reasons.

For heroes....get the power unlimited books. They will allow yo and your fellow gamers a LOT more variety for your super heroes. Century Station/Gramercy Island are excellent for a premade "city" with lots of ready to go heroes and villains.

Fantasy is a staple to be sure so getting the main rule book is always a good idea. Same for Beyond the Supernatural 2nd ed (though you will only have psionics not magic and no monsters in the main book. Anyone here, myself included can help with THAT though). Mysteries of Magic is a good addition and is very useful for Rifts too.

Ninjas and Superspies while a one book only game (although there is mystic china too) is good for all kinds of things like Mission Impossible or James Bond like games.

Robotech for the all mecha all the time games is also a must. As well as its main two sourcebooks for the Macross and Masters eras.

Even for a mini game fix they now have Robotech RPG Tactics. Check out the online store at Palladiums website for it.

And if you can get any and all Rifters you can. Older out of print issues are available on DriveThruRPG as PDF's. A metric crap ton of usable stuff in them.

Also people like myself have all kinds of personal stuff done up of a variety of things too like houserules or conversions (which are not allowed to be shared on these forums). In most cases you just need to ask via PM and they will share their work with you.

Any other questions feel free to ask via PMs, forum threads or for myself in particular, via the contacts in my sig.

Welcome back to the fold :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
LexTaliones
D-Bee

Thanks for the welcome, and the early tips! Just as an FYI I'll list the books I have here. I ultimately plan on getting into all the Palladium® games at some point, but I am starting my focus on Rifts®, Dead Reign™, Nightbane®, Heroes Unlimited™ and Beyond the Supernatural™. I would LOVE to get into Robotech®! Ninjas & Superspies™ and After the Bomb® are next. Palladium Fantasy® is also on the horizon, but the others are more in my interest now.

Here's a list of what I have. About 15, or so of these I have been holding onto for years.

RIFTS
Core Rulebooks
Rifts: Main Rule Book 1st edition
Rifts: Ultimate edition
Rifts Game Master Guide
Rifts Book of Magic
Rifts Adventure Guide

Sourcebooks
Rifts Mercenaries
Rifts Sourcebook 1:
Rifts Sourcebook 1: Revised & Expanded
Rifts Sourcebook 2: Mechanoids
Rifts Sourcebook 3: Mindwerks
Rifts Sourcebook 4: Coalition Navy
Rifts Bionics Sourcebook

Conversion Books
Rifts conversion book 1: Revised
Rifts conversion book 2: Pantheons of the Megaverse
Rifts Dark Conversions

World Books
World Book 1: Vampire Kingdom
World Book 1: Vampire Kingdom Expanded/Updated
World Book 2: Atlantis
World Book 4: Africa
World Book 5: Triax and the NGR
World Book 6: South America
World Book 7: Rifts Underseas
World Book 8: Japan
World Book 9: South America 2
World Book 10: The Juicer Uprising
World Book 11: Coalition War Campaign
World Book 3: England

Dimension Books
Dimension Book 1: Wormwood

Other/Related Rulebooks
Rifts Index and Adventures Vol. 1

Heroes Unlimited
Heroes Unlimited Core 2nd Ed

Dead Reign
Dead Reign Core Rulebook
Sourcebook One: Cilvilization Gone
Sourcebook Two: Dark Places
Sourcebook Three: Endless Dead
Sourcebook Four: Fear the Reaper
Sourcebook Five: Graveyard Earth - Preorder

Nightbane
Nightbane Core Rulebook
Nightbane 1: Between the Shadows
Nightbane 2: Nightlands
Nightbane 1: Through the Glass Darkly
Nightbane Survival Guide
Last edited by LexTaliones on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

First off, congratulations on coming back from the brink and making a good life for yourself (I've been there myself).

Second, welcome back to the Palladium family!

Third, to help you out with your Beyond the Supernatural game I would like to point you twords my fan site "The House of BTS". There's plenty of resources and advice on running (and playing) and lots of other goodies for all your BTS needs.

Click on the image below to visit, and enjoy the house! :)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Welcome back to Palladium! Inspiring story!
The MA program is open to all willing to spread Palladium!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

It sounds like you have plenty of books and the internet has an unending supply of resources for GM tips, etc. For PB GMs, definitely ask anything in the GM Forum. Of course, the best way to become a better GM is to GM more.

What you do need are actual players. Unfortunately, PB is a hard sell. My main suggestion is to run one-shot events at the mini-con or the gaming club with a bunch of pregen characters. That takes away the effort from the players and makes them more likely to try out something new. If you get some players who enjoy the one shot events, perhaps they will be open to starting a regular PB gaming group. You may want to consider how you can simplify / streamline the game for the new players so its easier for them to enjoy.

You may also want to look into Palladium Play by Post games and online Skype games that already have been active.
oni no won
Explorer

Unread post by oni no won »

The Megaversal system has a bad rep so it may be a hard sell to your local gaming group. I found it easier to find people willing to try your games if you first try their games. Join a group at your FLGS and get to know them and them, you.

If you manage to get a group together to play RIFTS, I recommend you first divide the various OCCs/RCCs into different tiers of play. That way, the players are playing characters of similar power level. However, if you are comfortable with directing a group of characters of various power level, all the more power to you!

It may be better if you start off playing with pregens since all Palladium rpgs are very front loaded. Character creation can become very tedious especially for newbies.
LexTaliones
D-Bee

Thanks again for all the tips! I am definitely still going to try to get locals interested in Palladium, as well as find some online/virtual tabletop groups that already play Palladium games!
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Welcome home friend! Id wait for the the xmas sale and picked up anything revised or new that catches you eye.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Welcome and congrats on your turn around.

I'm in the heart of the midwest as well (Cuba, Missouri) and can feel your pain on getting a group together. Where abouts are you?
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Welcome back, Glen. Looking forward to seeing your posts here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

LexTaliones wrote:Thanks again for all the tips! I am definitely still going to try to get locals interested in Palladium, as well as find some online/virtual tabletop groups that already play Palladium games!

There are few of us MAs on here regularly. Feel free to hit us up via PMs. Me personally, feel free to hit me up via anything in my sig. :ok:

Make sure to let us know how ti all goes :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

LexTaliones wrote:Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there, and see if anyone is listening. I'm looking forward to any contact with other Palladium® fans, especially any guidance and information you're willing to give. Thanks for your time!

Glen, good evening!

It's a pleasure to make the acquaintance of another chummer who's been returning to the gaming-active fold in the last half-dozen years. I admire the strength you've brought to bear on getting out of your addiction, and back to yourself as well; it's great to hear you're in a much healthier place now.

I signed up to the Forums of the Megaverse quite a few years ago, but wasn't a regular poster here until a couple of years back. Either way, a big Welcome Back from this wolfcub, and again, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance!

-Boe.

P.S.: "That is the Duomo seen from the Belvedere. Do you know Florence, Clarisse?" ^_^ (Good signature quote!)
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Welcome back. You've got a lot to catch up on. And you're going to enjoy all of it. ;-)
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Jack Chriax: RPA Pilot, Killing Machine, Samuel Jackson Impersonator?

Unread post by calto40k »

Roll 20 is great as well as google plus
Member of the Modern Cabal of 24

The stupid it burns it burns us preciouses

We are Legion and we will be heard
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

We use Skype and roll20, and stretch across North America, occasionally to Scotland, and to Tasmania- works great!!
Wife manages for a worldwide company, so I am used to doing time zone changes quickly in my head.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

zyanitevp wrote:We use Skype and roll20, and stretch across North America, occasionally to Scotland, and to Tasmania- works great!!
Wife manages for a worldwide company, so I am used to doing time zone changes quickly in my head.

I'll echo usage of Skype. While most of our group played F2F for many years, work + children + moving have taken their toll.

We Skype w/ GM & 4 players calling in from 3 spots in PrWm VA, 1 in Fredericksburg VA and 4 from 2 places in Michigan. As long as one of us can 'vouch' for a player, they've been allowed to join via Skype. So far, has worked well. We have a website that we have dynamic maps at, and the GM is working roll20.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”