Gen Con videos...

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Gen Con videos...

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

Anyone planning on taking pix or video at Gen Con?

I'd love to see pix or vids of the throng of people swarming the Pally booth and maybe some interviews with Palladium celeb's like Kevin, Matt, Wayne, NMI and others in attendance.

Also some field reporting on how things are selling and maybe some live footage of RPG's and RRT demo's.

I've always wanted to go to Gen Con, but never have the time or money.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Alpha 11
Palladin

Re: Gen Con videos...

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Same here.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

I hope we see lot's of different vids...not just the rantings of the very pissed off KS backers.

It's a big party!

ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:Anyone planning on taking pix or video at Gen Con?

I'd love to see pix or vids of the throng of people swarming the Pally booth and maybe some interviews with Palladium celeb's like Kevin, Matt, Wayne, NMI and others in attendance.

Also some field reporting on how things are selling and maybe some live footage of RPG's and RRT demo's.

I've always wanted to go to Gen Con, but never have the time or money.

+1.

Me too, first it was money, now it is time...so give us videos please!
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

There are a few videos here but of the Robotech minis
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Alpha 11
Palladin

Mike1975 wrote:There are a few videos here but of the Robotech minis
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Not much. Hope they have some of the game play of the big game.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:I hope we see lot's of different vids...not just the rantings of the very pissed off KS backers.

It's a big party!
Actually, as of today, there has really only been one, maybe 2 people have "grumpy", though one of them did pick up the sprues, the assembled mini's etc... he liked some parts and not the others. The other gentleman, he asked if the container ship left Customs yet. I had told him "as of this moment, unfortunately, no it has not." I forget who was sitting with me at the moment. The person then responds with "You should send Customs a bill for the amount of money they are costing you!" all serious and a slight hint of anger in his tone. One of the people sitting with me said in a joking manner "And then you know what could get someone from Customs? Their container being held another 2+ weeks."

That was about it for negativity.

Even the so-called "True mini/war gamers" that we should be leary of cuz they know what they want and how it should be done... blah blah blah... well, they wee all nice No threats "veiled or otherwise".

The 2 smaller demo tables at the Pally booth always had Jeff Burke, Tom Roache or a M.A. who came all the way from Canada running demo's for 1-2 people. Carmen Bellaire, though he was there to garner interest for a game him, his wife and a friend "Big Will" are putting together, Carmen was running a massive RRT demo himself. I want to say he had a 4'x6' table with a large city map and buildings. The Tactic demo's that Phaze from here on the forums was running were always packed. Even though Burke was not able to provide Phaze with as many units that Phaze was hoping for, Phaze received plenty for GEN CON DEMO PURPOSES. So far, his 2 games have been packed! Thursday night, he actually ran his game twice during his 4 hour time slot. So far, he has had full players each time.

PB Staff, Freelancers and Friends Present:
Kevin, Wayne Smith, Matt Clement, Jeff Burke, Chuck Walton, Nick Bradshaw, Carl Gleba, Brandon Aten + Wife, Carmen Bellaire + wife + co-game designer "Bill Will", Joe Bergman, a friend of Kevin's and Erick Wujick, Mike Leonard, Tom Roache, Dennis "Subjugator" Hughes, Gary Miller [ingexthefuryhunter1] and myself. Amy Ashbaugh stopped by Thursday evening and Josh Hilden came over Friday morning before the exhibit hall was open to the general public.

Arrangement:
The way our booth was located and setup, we had foot traffic around us on all 4 sides. The closest big name to us was Fantasy Flight Games. If you were an exhibitor who is allowed early entrance to the exhibit area or if you do not mind waiting in FFG's line for 30 or minutes,

Sales:
Sales have seemed decent so far. I believe, Palladium has taken in 2 doze or so pre-orders for Tactics.
Megaverse in Flames was the better seller between it and "The Artistry of Chuck Walton".
I saw plenty of older books being purchased, including a Rifts: England.
Splicer's had a decent amount of purchases, thanks in part to Chuck Walton, myself and a few others talking up Splicers when talking about Chuck's insane artwork.
From what the guys tell me, we sold out of the remaining "Max Sterling" mini's and have less then a dozen Miriya's.
Chuck is working like mad on the various commission requestions he has received + selling quite a few prints. Nick Bradshaw has been doing alright in the sales department as well.

Megaversal Ambassador Program
Is working like a charm! As I mentioned already, the folks that got to run with Phaze, loved the demo games.
Practically EVERY seat at EVERY table that had a PB game running had a full player compliment.
All but one of the players from a table got a couple good for 10%
The MVP of said game sessions received a coupon for 50% off.
GM's / MA's received a coupon for 50% off and a M.A. T-shirt.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Great summary NMI :ok:
ImageImage
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

It sounds like this con is shaping up quite well. It's hard to stay mad when you see Kevin, NMI and crew's smiling faces all pumped up with positive gamer vibe. It's contagious!!! ...Siembieda and NMI both kinda sound like names for highly contagious diseases. :eek:

How many Palladium gamers and games are going on right now? Over a dozen? Dozens?

From that update it sounds like it's a total Palladium Explosion!!

Good Show!!

Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Well the "true minis gamers" that I do know typically spend several hundreds on minis for a single game. In fact both my nephews, who are teenagers, have had their own armies since they have been eight years old or so. One loves Space Marines and the other Necrons and now they are dabbling with Tau. The armies each has are easily worth over $500 each, likely close to $1000, so that is like 20 RPG books or more so they do tend to be picky, and with good reason. Most minis kickstarters go into the millions for the same reason. One would think these customers, as picky as they are, were just as important, if not more so than an RPG player. That's from someone who has played both and spent many a Tuesday night from 5 to 2 or 3 am playing a RPG and many a full weekend playing a minis game that was big enough to cover 2 ping pong tables.

So while minis gamers can, being people, cross the line into being plain obnoxious at times, they put their money where their mouths is much more than the vast majority of players of other games like tabletop games and role playing games, so it is understandable.

Shoot I remember an old convention with guys playing super heroes yelling loudly at each other arguing if gravity was a form of energy or not!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:It sounds like this con is shaping up quite well. It's hard to stay mad when you see Kevin, NMI and crew's smiling faces all pumped up with positive gamer vibe. It's contagious!!! ...Siembieda and NMI both kinda sound like names for highly contagious diseases. :eek:

How many Palladium gamers and games are going on right now? Over a dozen? Dozens?

From that update it sounds like it's a total Palladium Explosion!!

Good Show!!

There are approximately 50 or so Palladium Book games being played over the weekend.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Mike1975 wrote:Well the "true minis gamers" that I do know typically spend several hundreds on minis for a single game. In fact both my nephews, who are teenagers, have had their own armies since they have been eight years old or so. One loves Space Marines and the other Necrons and now they are dabbling with Tau. The armies each has are easily worth over $500 each, likely close to $1000, so that is like 20 RPG books or more so they do tend to be picky, and with good reason. Most minis kickstarters go into the millions for the same reason. One would think these customers, as picky as they are, were just as important, if not more so than an RPG player. That's from someone who has played both and spent many a Tuesday night from 5 to 2 or 3 am playing a RPG and many a full weekend playing a minis game that was big enough to cover 2 ping pong tables.

So while minis gamers can, being people, cross the line into being plain obnoxious at times, they put their money where their mouths is much more than the vast majority of players of other games like tabletop games and role playing games, so it is understandable.

Shoot I remember an old convention with guys playing super heroes yelling loudly at each other arguing if gravity was a form of energy or not!
I will not go back and forth with you on this one, but in "MY OPINION" - no one customer or type of customer is more important than another. Regardless of whether they are a traditional Pen & Paper gamer or one of these "elite", "hear me roar" miniature / war gamers, whether you spend $10 or $1,000 --- they all have one thing in common:
THEY ARE ALL GAMERS!!!

Not that you will believe this but, we had customers from Dust Tactics, Fantasy Flight Games: Star Wars Mini's, quite a few people who openly stated they were "long time, miniature gamers" that liked what they saw. Except for the ONE, I repeat UNO, SINGULAR inidivudal, no one expressed any negative concerns about the detail and quality of the completed RRT mini's, the sprues, etc...

Gary Miller aka Ingexthefuryhunter1 has taken some video of the RRT action going on in the MA/GM room. It's not the highest quality video so far, but it's something. I will try and get something this weekend as well though it will be with my phone.
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Thanks for the Gen Con update NMI!
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Alpha 11
Palladin

Thanks for the report! And thanks in advance for trying to get some video.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

For the videos, you can thank Gary "Ingexthefuryhunter1" Miller :D
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

My ride has us heading home early today, so I may have my pics up in my DeviantArt Gallery by late this evening.. Internet here in the hotel is too slow to upload them all before headed to the con.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

So Gen Con was not a total debacle, like a lot of folks thought and hoped.

From what NMI is relaying...a complete triumph!!

Palladium has been in the game for a long time, they don't spook, and nerd rage and anti-Palladium sentiment spewers just dash themselves upon the rocks of excellence, wisdom and experience.

NMI stands tall on the highest peak, above the fray, like a wise old, MDC eagle picking off the wicked, weak and ignorant.

All Hail!!

CenINGM
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by CenINGM »

Yeah really, I had a blast, personal crises aside. I had players from 4 corners, and really they all seemed to have a blast. My wife and daughter even had fun just WATCHING. I know that seems like nothing, but my wife has more years gaming than I do, and my kids grew up gaming. I am just happy to have presented Palladium in a positive, and most importantly, FUN light.
" I don't recall where I parked the Samas.." Last words of a Sama operator ambushed by a Psy Tech
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

My RRT Games went great...I did not see one unhappy individual. I'll post pics and a report soon. Every one of my players left the table with a great smile and a strong shake of the hand. I had so much fun, I couldn't speak this morning due to a sore throat from hollering and laughing.

Fridays Game was Epic! It was one of those that will be remembered for a long time.

Thanks for everyone that came out. And thanks for all of the great comments on my terrain! Already planning on next Gencon!
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Alpha 11
Palladin

Phaze wrote:My RRT Games went great...I did not see one unhappy individual. I'll post pics and a report soon. Every one of my players left the table with a great smile and a strong shake of the hand. I had so much fun, I couldn't speak this morning due to a sore throat from hollering and laughing.

Fridays Game was Epic! It was one of those that will be remembered for a long time.

Thanks for everyone that came out. And thanks for all of the great comments on my terrain! Already planning on next Gencon!

That's great to hear! Can't wait to hear the report!
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:So Gen Con was not a total debacle, like a lot of folks thought and hoped.

Palladium has been in the game for a long time, they don't spook, and nerd rage and anti-Palladium sentiment spewers just dash themselves upon the rocks of excellence, wisdom and experience.

NMI stands tall on the highest peak, above the fray, like a wise old, MDC eagle picking off the wicked, weak and ignorant.

All Hail!!

How on earth is this not a group attack on multiple board members here? Or is this acceptable behavior against the evil complainers?
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

ScottBernard wrote:
MurderCityDisciple wrote:So Gen Con was not a total debacle, like a lot of folks thought and hoped.

All Hail!!

How on earth is this not a group attack on multiple board members here? Or is this acceptable behavior against the evil complainers?

NMI is the lawgiver! The enforcer of truth and justice.

Just read his signature...that's all you need to know.

Warning: User warned for trolling/baiting another forum user/entity. -NMI

McPherson
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Still hunting for Pineapple Salad.

Unread post by McPherson »

Don't get me wrong I am not one of the people you are poking fun at but from an observers point of view...

If Gencon was such a massive success without having Robotech RPG Tactics up for sale - why did PB insist otherwise???

Just curious.

- End of Line -
Eternally hunting for Pineapple Salad.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I know there was an Oomba (sp?) interview with me and Kevin and Role-Play Roulette came and interviewed Kevin as well.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

McPherson wrote:Don't get me wrong I am not one of the people you are poking fun at but from an observers point of view...

If Gencon was such a massive success without having Robotech RPG Tactics up for sale - why did PB insist otherwise???

Just curious.

- End of Line -

Because, it could have been a bigger success with product.

Also, it could have gone badly without product. Thanks to the efforts of the Palladium staff, MA coordinators, and the MAs, it went very well and upbeat. We were there to game and have fun. That attitude carried the day.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
ingexthefuryhunter1
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by ingexthefuryhunter1 »

here here
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

McPherson wrote:Don't get me wrong I am not one of the people you are poking fun at but from an observers point of view...

Just curious.

- End of Line -

Because we ran out of ISP to fuel our Clairvoyance??
Because we don't have a Trans-Dimensional device to allow us to check the future as well as alternate dimensions, alternate timelines to see how different options worked out?

Gen Con was a success, this is true. While having Robotech RPG Tactics present in order to be able to sell it and bring in more sales, having it present to sell and have people walking around with it where other people could see it. I can recall at least 3 occasions where I saw someone carrying an interesting looking boxed game, product, etc.. and asking them what it was and where they got it.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

Was Gen Con a financial success or an emotional one?

I figure that they'd have to sell a couple hundred books/goodies to break even for all the costs for hotels, table space, travel and whatnot.

Having two new books to sell probably was a good thing.

Anyone have any idea how many of the new books/RRT's were sold?

McPherson
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Still hunting for Pineapple Salad.

Unread post by McPherson »

@ Phaze :
No doubt it would of been a bigger success with product, as I said in my original post I am not one of the doom and gloomers, I voted Yes without reservation I was just positing the question to distract from the rather blatant attack against those who were (quite understandably) upset.

@ NMI :
Never had much use for ISP, have always played Cyborgs :P
Honestly from reading what Phaze and others have posted it sounds like Gencon was a success because of the love of the product and the excitement you brought with you more than anything else and that is in my opinion (and experience) more infectious than boxes and books.

All in all congratulations on everyone who volunteered their time and effort to make this a great showing, any idea how many pre-orders were made in the end? Obviously I dont expect exact sales figures but "A few a day" or "I saw a stack of hundreds filled out at the end of the con" would be spiffy to know.

- End of Line -
Eternally hunting for Pineapple Salad.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I am not privy to the final numbers for Palladium Books. I am sure that at the very least Palladium broke even.

As for sold out product: There is only 1 Max Sterling Gen Con 2013 exclusive left. That's cuz he fell behind the table and no one noticed, otherwise he would have sold. There were approx. 6 Miriya's left.
Sold out of the softcover ver of Northern Gun 1.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

NMI wrote:I am not privy to the final numbers for Palladium Books. I am sure that at the very least Palladium broke even.

As for sold out product: There is only 1 Max Sterling Gen Con 2013 exclusive left. That's cuz he fell behind the table and no one noticed, otherwise he would have sold. There were approx. 6 Miriya's left.
Sold out of the softcover ver of Northern Gun 1.

We also ran out of the Soft Cover Black Market that we had on hand on Friday morning.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
JimmyB
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have been gaming since 1977 and GMing since 1986.
If its an RPG or has minis, Its here somewhere.

Unread post by JimmyB »

Black Market has sold out two years in a roll now. A Huge Success right there.

Being someone who goes to Gen Con every year if possible. (I have missed a few here and there.)
I generally buy all the new books every year, while at Gen Con. So I get a rather unique perspective
on how well they are doing. I can remember years where all I needed were a few new Rifters
and only 1 or 2 books. And you see posts on the forums all the time about how slow the books sometimes come out.

But This year, 2014 was Huge. Special Edition Fantasy and Heroes, a new Dead Reign source book (and one on the way),
The new Art book, NG2, Megaverse in Flames. When you consider the size of the company, and everything
going on with the Robotech Kickstarter. It has been a very busy year.

And this year at Gen Con we had something new. A huge success with the MAs running games.
Not only a success because of how many GMs ran games, but a Huge success because we got
to see how many fans are out there. Our game tables were all full, and we had new curious players
walking up with generic tickets as well.

And I know that helped promote Palladium Books as I had people from every game say they
were going to go buy Dead Reign and Chaos Earth.

Having Robotech Tactics available to show, and demo games was Huge, everyone enjoyed it.
Having some for sale would have made it even better, Having product for Gamers to carry around
where 60000 plus attendees could see it, and thousands of Vendors as well would have been awesome.

But in short, definitely a success, Even if only by word of mouth.
The name Palladium Books definitely was heard this year.
Jimmy B aka Beatleguise
Gaming in the Verse.
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

JimmyB -- Ditto. Nice to meet you.
WilhelmRochRedDuke
D-Bee

Unread post by WilhelmRochRedDuke »

I ran a demo with none other than Dave Taylor of Games Workshop fame. He was playing the Zentraedi in our demo game. In his gaming circles, Dave is notorious for rolling 1's. So, lots of 1's were rolled and the Zents were wiped out on the demo table. He definitely enjoyed the demo and was curious on playing a full big game to get a better feel for the mechanics in a real game situation. One of the highlights of my Gen Con experience...
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Everything I have been hearing about PB + GenCon has been tremendously positive.

Congrats to PB for having a great show!!!

Congrats to the MAs for rocking the RPGs and RTT!!!
CenINGM
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by CenINGM »

REally wish I had gotten around more at Gen con, would have loved to meet everyone.
" I don't recall where I parked the Samas.." Last words of a Sama operator ambushed by a Psy Tech
Alpha 11
Palladin

Glad to hear that everything seem to go well. :D

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”