Megaverse in Flames Review

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zrayz10
D-Bee

Megaverse in Flames Review

Unread post by Zrayz10 »

As luck would have it, due to shelling out extra for fast shipping I was fortunate enough to receive my copy of Megaverse in Flames this past Saturday. So after reading it through I've decided to post a review for it:

To start with the overall meta-plot of the game has been pushed forward to between the winter solstice of 109 P.A and the Spring Equinox of 110 P.A. It seems that the events of the book kick off when hordes of Demons and Deevils decide to use the energy of the solstice to open rifts throughout Earth. Unfortunately for them one of the first Rifts just so happened to open amongst the ruins of Tolkeen thanks to all the stone pyramids controlling the ley lines there having been destroyed. As such instead of a curb-stomp battle they thought they were going to have, they instead have to deal with a whole contingent of Coalition States troops patrolling the area. Realizing the enormity of what's at stake due to the power and variety of the creatures encountered the Coalition quickly sounds the alarm to it's citizens and in doing so also alerts others both ally and enemy to the conflict at hand.

What's covered in this book:

Info on how the demonic invasions affect various places worldwide from the Americas, to Europe, and the Oceans. And also how the various power players in the world are responding.

2 new enemy o.c.c.s: The Soulmancer and The Blood Warrior

54 Soulmancer spells.

Dozens of new mystical weapons, vehicles, and artifacts being utilized for both sides, including several dark techno-wizard type weapons created in the wake of the demons encounter with advanced technology.

7 new diseases brought by the demons.

Some new info about what occurred during the Dark Ages including info on the Demon Plagues of that era.

Some long awaited info on both the Calgary monster Kingdom and some unexpected info about what happened to Cuba during and after the apocalypse.

We have some info on commanders of both Minion War factions.

And some unexpected info regarding both the Demon God Ahriman and the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse.

The good: Most of the artwork is great (one piece showing a NG Gun Wolf Robot laying waste to a demon is so good I want it as my computer's wallpaper). Lots of new content about the Minion War, some demonic new toys and characters to play with, some long awaited info on Soulmancy and it's nature, and an opportunity to truly look inside the darkest sorts of minds both human and demonic.

The bad: Some of the Soulmancy spells seem to be duplicates of some blood magic spells. The unexpected discovery that this is not the last book in the Minion War conflict as we had long believed it to be. NO instead all the info on the Coalition's counterattack and the new equipment they are going to be wielding is apparently getting pushed into another book titled Coalition States, Heroes of Humanity. A title which I might add seems to (at least in my mind) totally invalidate all but one of the multiple possible endings the book seemed to propose for the conflict.

So is it worth a purchase? I would say...yes. Despite the above mentioned flaws the book is still a great resource for all toys demonic or dark. Fair warning though this book is definitely not for the squeamish as many of the new spells and weapons are quite brutal and visceral in nature.

Overall Score: 4 stars out of 5
Last edited by Zrayz10 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Re: Megaverse in Flames Review

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Thanks for the review!
Ahriman!! Very cool- been looking for reasons to drop him in on my campaign!!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

So 90% of what I was looking forward to in the book.. is being pushed to an 'extra' book.

...... :frust: :thwak: :thwak: :frust:

Thank you for the review. Sounds interesting, but I can wait on this one now. I'll still end up getting it. Don't get me wrong, but -any- pressure I felt is now gone, knowing the stuff I want will be in the next book.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:So 90% of what I was looking forward to in the book.. is being pushed to an 'extra' book.

Thank you for the review. Sounds interesting, but I can wait on this one now. I'll still end up getting it. Don't get me wrong, but -any- pressure I felt is now gone, knowing the stuff I want will be in the next book.

I do think they have mentioned a few times, not a lot, but a few, this "Coalition States, Heroes of Humanity" book. I figured previously [without any insider knowledge] that HOH would either be about the CS's battle in the Demon/Deevil wars or them coming to the rescue afterwards.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

They've mentioned it a few times, but not in conjunction to the Minion War.

What little we had on it seemed to indicate a 'post war' sort of book. Sort of like Aftermath was post SoT. That HoH would show more of the CS, perhaps more of the life in the CS after the wars etc and move the time line ahead. Now it seems (Seems as I don't know and we only have the review here) that HoH is the "CS side" of the Minion war, and is going to be a bit of a toy book. (Which we all love. Toyboxes/Gun/bot/PA books sell) As best I know, there's not even a tenative ETA on Heroes of Humanity, so that means a year + down the line.

I'm not surprised they're 'making" HoH. I'm surprised that they cut the last book in the Minion War series in half, and the half that I'm most interested in, is the 'next' book down the line.

I'll buy them both. You all know I will. I'm not going to wave any flags or make a big deal about it. I'm just dissapointed. We've waited so long for the 'end' of the Minion War, and now we're finding out we're going to have to wait longer and for another book to get there. In theory we'll get more information if we add the two books up... but after waiting years... I'd rather a BIG book, and be done, than two mediums and have to wait another year or three.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Zrayz10 wrote:The unexpected discovery that this is not the last book in the Minion War conflict as we had long believed it to be. NO instead all the info on the Coalition's counterattack and the new equipment they are going to be wielding is apparently getting pushed into another book titled Coalition States, Heroes of Humanity. A title which I might add seems to (at least in my mind) totally invalidate all but one of the multiple possible endings the book seemed to propose for the conflict.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/6f/6fea2600ee48b7315640ed8fd708779953d34e434c04cc23e9313c0f5205bcf0.jpg

What. Absolute. ********.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

And to clarify, it isn't like they've not had the better part of a ******* decade to get this all handled in the amount of books they pitched us on back when, y'know, GW was president. I don't care if every piece of equipment in Book 6 (/7 for those who count the prior Heroes book too) of this 5 book series is made of joygasm inducing happy glitter and I love them more than life itself...this stinks of greed (or desperation) or mismanagement/deception. "Get them in for the first $120, and surely they'll fork over that last $25 now that we've got them by the balls". Nooope. Not this time, Palladium. Sorry Carl, I promised to pick up the whole Minion War to show support for you years n years ago...and I'll still hold true and pick up book 5, but that's my line.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

NMI wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:So 90% of what I was looking forward to in the book.. is being pushed to an 'extra' book.

I do think they have mentioned a few times, not a lot, but a few, this "Coalition States, Heroes of Humanity" book. I figured previously [without any insider knowledge] that HOH would either be about the CS's battle in the Demon/Deevil wars or them coming to the rescue afterwards.

There have been a few mention of it in updates and murmers from Kevin. I assumed it would deal either with the CS counter strike to the demonic invasions or the aftermath of what happened to CS and probably NG in the wake of the demonic invasions.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The Coalition States "just" released new gear in 105 P.A.... And then they fought the Juicer Uprising, Free Quebec and Tolkien. When should I believe that they developed new, previously unseen gear useful for fighting the Minion War that they didn't already use in Tolkeen?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Well some of what is likely in the heroes of humanity may be NG stuff. I know there was some mention of at least one vehicle that is seen flying above the hover train in the picture in NG1 that looks a bit like the aliens dropship potentially getting seen in this heroes of humanity book.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:They've mentioned it a few times, but not in conjunction to the Minion War.

I've heard it mentioned in connection with the Minion War.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I don’t remember hearing much if anything about Heroes of Humanity and I really don’t remember it being the last book in the series, but I guess it is. But another upgrade to the CS already seems a bit hurried and I hope we see this book sooner than the rest of the books in the series made it out.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Daniel Stoker wrote:I don’t remember hearing much if anything about Heroes of Humanity and I really don’t remember it being the last book in the series, but I guess it is. But another upgrade to the CS already seems a bit hurried and I hope we see this book sooner than the rest of the books in the series made it out.

Daniel Stoker

I'm hoping that it's less of an upgrade to the CS, and more of a fleshing-out of the CS.
I want to see more variety of gear, not more power.

Edit:
EXCEPT for the C-12. I want that thing to be upgraded/retconned to be a 5-shot pulse weapon that inflicts 1d6x10 MD.
That way it has the kind of firepower that can be respected, but still has a reason for the CS to phase them out for most troops (it'd be an ammo-chewer), but also still has a reason to be used by Special Forces and other soldiers as described in CWC.
I'd really love to see that weapon fixed to match the hype.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I got my books today of this and the art book both look good. Just thumbed through this one and seems like there is a nice amount of demonic/devil weaponry and equipment. It was always a bit odd when in phase world a lot of demons wound up using lasers and stuff they got there to try to make up the range disadvantage so nice to see more equipment to flesh them out and make them a bit more reasonable threat for tech opponents.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:They've mentioned it a few times, but not in conjunction to the Minion War.

Cite your source.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

It was in one of the news updates on the main page it even had a picture of the cover art for the book basically talking about how all the good ideas in megaverse in flames caused them to spin off some ideas into another book. I would link it but its harder to search and link the old news articles from the main page.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Cite your source.

Well, there's this thread, which you participated in, where various people speculated that the book was going to be connected to the Minion War.

Including this snippet of conversation:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
jaymz wrote:Hopes - Karl steps down, Joseph takes over and the Vanguard become the CS Black Guard....FOM crumbles as all the demonic power mongers there side with the various minions of the Minion war leaving Dunscon screwed and the Magi take him out. Lazlo grudgingly side with the CS and FQ and together they beat the minions back through the Calgary Rifts.

I was going to type what I hoped it'd be.. but Jaymz beat me to it, almost word for word.

That's all I can find with a quick search.

IF I ever heard anything official about it, it may have been from Kevin at last year's unofficial open house or something.
Sorry I can't be more help.

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Interesting review. I'll get it but it may not be until the do the HoH book. No point in getting one without the other in my opinion.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Is the Megaverse in Flames just the Tolkeen area fight? I thought the battle was supposed to erupt across Earth?
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Spinachcat wrote:Is the Megaverse in Flames just the Tolkeen area fight? I thought the battle was supposed to erupt across Earth?

Yeah, its all over Rifts Earth. The Seven Demon armies are spread across North America and Europe, but have a presence elsewhere.

The Devils took over most of Cuba, and have a presence everywhere the Demons do.
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Glistam wrote:The Coalition States "just" released new gear in 105 P.A.... And then they fought the Juicer Uprising, Free Quebec and Tolkien. When should I believe that they developed new, previously unseen gear useful for fighting the Minion War that they didn't already use in Tolkeen?

Happens all the time during a long war. Just look at WW2 and the tank designs, expessily Germany. They were making and designing new designs right up until the end ( Germany went through, like 5 different, major tank designs during those 6 or so years. Not counting TD's or SPG's. ) These new designs could easily be from info obtain during the Tolkeen war. And with the Coalition basicly at a constant state of war, they would always be making and designing new stuff. It just makes cense.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

NMI wrote:

Has there been a release date mentioned?

I really hope it doesn't take 4 or 5 years, but I know quality takes time.

Anyone hear anything about the BTS books? I've been keeping my epic campaign on hold until I get an updated monster and majick book.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Hystrix wrote:Yeah, its all over Rifts Earth. The Seven Demon armies are spread across North America and Europe, but have a presence elsewhere.

Does this book describe the global war? AKA, do we get a sense of how all the major factions across the globe are dealing with the dual invasion?

I don't usually run Rifts in North America so I want to get a sense if the book gives me goodies for non-CS campaigns.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Cite your source.

Well, there's this thread, which you participated in, where various people speculated that the book was going to be connected to the Minion War.

Including this snippet of conversation:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
jaymz wrote:Hopes - Karl steps down, Joseph takes over and the Vanguard become the CS Black Guard....FOM crumbles as all the demonic power mongers there side with the various minions of the Minion war leaving Dunscon screwed and the Magi take him out. Lazlo grudgingly side with the CS and FQ and together they beat the minions back through the Calgary Rifts.

I was going to type what I hoped it'd be.. but Jaymz beat me to it, almost word for word.

That's all I can find with a quick search.

IF I ever heard anything official about it, it may have been from Kevin at last year's unofficial open house or something.
Sorry I can't be more help.

That was my agreeing on the prediction of what Megaverse in flames might have. He and I have spoken about it on Facebook before.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Spinachcat wrote:Is the Megaverse in Flames just the Tolkeen area fight? I thought the battle was supposed to erupt across Earth?

No it is across the entire world. The tolkeen is one of the major fronts. For North america there a few different points they are attempting to setup as beach heads. Tolkeen/new mexico/dinosaur swamp/magic zone/northern canada aiming more at lazlo/FQ.

One interesting thing which makes sense is some of the first waves of it actually landed during the dark ages after the rifts first appeared although many were destroyed by the seething changing dimensional landscape at the time or other invasion forces. When attacking through portals through time and space I guess it should not be surprising that happened.

I have only gotten about halfway into the book so far its about what I was hoping for. This book appears to be like the dimensional outbreak book it sets the stage as a jump off for adventurers and not super lead you by the nose point by point what happens.

One thing in reading about the various hell pit invasion beach heads I have to almost feel a bit sorry for the demon lord trying to set up shop in europe. His plan is 1. land in rifts earth 2. command all the gargoyles and brodkil to join him 3. profit? I think the most likely outcome of that attempt is going to be the demon lord sticks his demonic junk into a meat grinder and gets banished back from whence he came in short order. Even with the numbers it talks about if he can get his hell pit setup he would still be grossely outnumbered by just the gargoyle forces alone let alone triax and the brodkil. I think the devils are likely to just sit back and watch this one and laugh and spend their efforts elsewhere.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Alpha 11 wrote:
Glistam wrote:The Coalition States "just" released new gear in 105 P.A.... And then they fought the Juicer Uprising, Free Quebec and Tolkien. When should I believe that they developed new, previously unseen gear useful for fighting the Minion War that they didn't already use in Tolkeen?

Happens all the time during a long war. Just look at WW2 and the tank designs, expessily Germany. They were making and designing new designs right up until the end ( Germany went through, like 5 different, major tank designs during those 6 or so years. Not counting TD's or SPG's. ) These new designs could easily be from info obtain during the Tolkeen war. And with the Coalition basicly at a constant state of war, they would always be making and designing new stuff. It just makes cense.

I would expect to see some new designs mostly along the lines of some of the things we saw in NG1 and NG2 with some dedicated anti supernatural platforms. Most of the CS force is designed as an all around type force but given the big threat during this has some specific vulnerabilities I would be pretty surprised if the CS did not at least attempt some designs following the NG foot steps with making single focus monster slayer type units.

Oh also if people like the gunwolf there is a pretty amazing drawing of a gunwolf engaging what I think is a Gallu bull demon in megaverse in flames.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Pepsi Jedi wrote:That was my agreeing on the prediction of what Megaverse in flames might have. He and I have spoken about it on Facebook before.

The thread was "Coalition States - Saviors of Humanity," and that book was the topic of conversation.
Unless Jaymz just came in out of left field and started talking about a completely different book that everybody thought was completely unrelated to the topic.

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Hystrix wrote:

Yeah, its all over Rifts Earth. The Seven Demon armies are spread across North America and Europe, but have a presence elsewhere.

The Devils took over most of Cuba, and have a presence everywhere the Demons do.

glad you said that about Deevils. So is the war actually balanced as there doesnt seem to be much mention of the Deevils in the review?
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

We wanted to mention some things but not others so the surprise factor would be there. I mean a vehicle called a Meat Grinder? Definitely not for the squeamish but it makes sense for Rifts Earth. It is like the sort of stuff the demons and Deevils would come in contact with and use in some cases. I mean, we've got pure evil fighting pure evil.

Alex Marciniszyn
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

The Dark Elf wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

glad you said that about Deevils. So is the war actually balanced as there doesnt seem to be much mention of the Deevils in the review?

I'd say so. If you look at numbers it appears the Demons have more. Cuba is supposed to have about 2 million Deevils (plus Host and mortals), but it dosn't give a breakdown on that stat. It dose break down 7 different Deevil Armies (which total about 150,000 Deevils).
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Sounds like the CS should just make Cuba glow. Doubt they have the magical Tolkeen hand of god, toss the Nukes to another dimension technology.

Daniel Stoker
Knight

I can just imagine the damage THAT would cause when all that PPE rushes into the ley lines though.

Daniel Stoker
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I'm also disappointed as well. Two questions. Does the CS actually get more than a slap on the wrist? As in take actual losses. Or are they once again protected by script and plot armor because of their popularity. Even with the release if HOH I'm not interested in yet another one sided victory for the CS,

Second is their yet another super secret evil organization. With unlimited resources. Hidden in plain sight within the ranks of the good aligned forces yet no one notices. They seem to be really fond of the rotten apple syndrome. Again not sure if I would be interested.

I do hope the new tech and possible occs in HOH is something new. I'm again uninterested in renamed redundant occs. Or weapons that exist already in print. Just given new art and renamed differently. With some actual metaplot. I'm uninterested in open ended metaplot.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Sounds like the CS should just make Cuba glow. Doubt they have the magical Tolkeen hand of god, toss the Nukes to another dimension technology.

Yeah, but I don't think the CS knows they are there.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

If Cubans can make the crossing in what could charitably called fruit boxes, then the CS Naval bases down there should be able to pick up literal MILLIONS of supernatural things that close.

Daniel Stoker
Knight

I thought the Gulf of Mexico and that areas was primarily Atlantis' territory?

Daniel Stoker
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:If Cubans can make the crossing in what could charitably called fruit boxes, then the CS Naval bases down there should be able to pick up literal MILLIONS of supernatural things that close.

I don't think anyone is crossing the Gulf in fruit boxes anymore. The CS may be able to detect them, but they are kind of isolated. I'm not sure what kind of presence the CS really has down there. The 2nd Fleets is active, but it talks about the reefs around the island preventing ships getting too close.

I'm also not sure about MILLIONS of infernals being there. It states that there are 2 million Deevils plus host and mortals, but the only breakdown it gives is the Overlord Shards army (which is around 70,000). I think that 2 million number might be a typo.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Well in theory wouldn't it take a samus patrol a very short time to just buzz the island? I mean I'm not pulling out a map but a Super Sam can crank it up to 500mph. A Talon can kick along at MACH 1.5. I mean even if it's just a fly over it's going to be really really REALLY Hard to miss 70,000 to 2,000,000 Supernatural creatures. Even if they all duck at the same time you're going to see huge indications of their habitation.

Things like that do break immersion some for Rifts earth. I know in theory we're supposed to ignore such capability but in reality there's no real reason for the CS to be unaware of threats so close.

AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

The book opens with CS field reports of unusual activity. By page 14, Emperor Prosek publicly sounds the alarm, and "Within two weeks, word of mouth has spread to all corners of the continent." "Within a week, more than a million will have joined the Coalition Armed Forces." From page 15: "The minions of Hades and Dyval dare not invade Atlantis, lest they bring down the full wrath of the mighty Splugorth." But that does not mean the Splugorth are not acting.

Alex Marciniszyn
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Well in theory wouldn't it take a samus patrol a very short time to just buzz the island? I mean I'm not pulling out a map but a Super Sam can crank it up to 500mph. A Talon can kick along at MACH 1.5. I mean even if it's just a fly over it's going to be really really REALLY Hard to miss 70,000 to 2,000,000 Supernatural creatures. Even if they all duck at the same time you're going to see huge indications of their habitation.

Things like that do break immersion some for Rifts earth. I know in theory we're supposed to ignore such capability but in reality there's no real reason for the CS to be unaware of threats so close.

What would an areal fly over show?

Ok theres the city Cuidad de Diablo, but that might jusy look like a pirate base.

Demon/Deevils/Monsters all over the Island, that's just like EVERYWHERE else on Rifts Earth. There isn't anyway a fly by is going to tell them the organization info about the Island. Jeez, man, there are demonic aries a few hundred miles (or less) in the Magic Zone, why don't they nuke that too? Calgary has been a know area of Demonic activity for a long time. For that matter, how far are the Xiticix? Lazlo? How about Atlantis? I don't see the CS nuking any of that. Just because there is some remote Island with a bunch of Harpies and a pirate base or two isn't reason for such alarm. Again, the Deevils haven't anounced their presense to the World. They are quietly occuping an island (actually it's a chain of islands now) that is nearly a thousand miles from the nearest CS holding.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

AlexM wrote:The book opens with CS field reports of unusual activity. By page 14, Emperor Prosek publicly sounds the alarm, and "Within two weeks, word of mouth has spread to all corners of the continent." "Within a week, more than a million will have joined the Coalition Armed Forces." From page 15: "The minions of Hades and Dyval dare not invade Atlantis, lest they bring down the full wrath of the mighty Splugorth." But that does not mean the Splugorth are not acting.

Alex Marciniszyn

Neat!

cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

AlexM wrote:The book opens with CS field reports of unusual activity. By page 14, Emperor Prosek publicly sounds the alarm, and "Within two weeks, word of mouth has spread to all corners of the continent." "Within a week, more than a million will have joined the Coalition Armed Forces." From page 15: "The minions of Hades and Dyval dare not invade Atlantis, lest they bring down the full wrath of the mighty Splugorth." But that does not mean the Splugorth are not acting.

Alex Marciniszyn

so much for that desolate post-apoc world huh? A million MORE soldiers...yeah, whatever.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Killer Cyborg
Priest

cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:

Alex Marciniszyn

so much for that desolate post-apoc world huh? A million MORE soldiers...yeah, whatever.

I am one of the people who argues time and time again in favor of the CS population having a high number of soldiers.

But yeah, I agree that does seem like a lot.
I can come up with ways that it would make sense... but I'm hoping that Palladium will have already done that, and that I won't have to. ;)

As for the "post-apocalyptic world," the original tone was lost a LONG time ago.
I think a lot of the original vibe was destroyed by the New West books, and when your average Vagabond starts off with MDC armor?
Forget about it.

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Good to see that Dr. Bradford's clone army is finally ready for field testing...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

If they turn out to be the 'Janissaries' from the Rifter I'm going to have to see about setting people on fire. Ha! Just kidding. But not really.

Daniel Stoker
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Daniel Stoker wrote:If they turn out to be the 'Janissaries' from the Rifter I'm going to have to see about setting people on fire. Ha! Just kidding. But not really.

Daniel Stoker

Same here.

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Could care less about the 'CS; Hero's of humanity... the plot immunity'. I'll pr'olly get Megaverse in flames AFTER I get stuff more important (like food, rent, aniversary gift to the mississ, etc). Gleba is da'MAN amongst the slowly fading stable of writers for PB, but *shrug* the never ending delay in getting this book out has really dulled my interest, and fiding out that the feqqin' Nazi expys are getting ANOTHER upgrade kinda leaves me with a sour stomach.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

Ok something people tend to forget.......we make our biggest leaps and strides in the shortest periods of time when...........*gasps* we go to war.

So why wouldn't that apply here.......budgets go up to almost all war efforts durning war time.....and get cut back during peace.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Rifts - The New Age of Earth

Even RMB era wasn't REALLY post apocalypse.....RMB was post-post apocalypse...IE as I said above, the new age.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

A million more soldiers. Oh well I did not expect the CS to lose anything. A million troops out of nowhere. What's next six million experimental power armor and robots ready to be fielded at a moments notice. Or worst in storage. I'm still probably going to get the book. Disappointed by the CS yet again given plot immunity because of their popularity with the fans.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”