tardy to the party

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

BuzzardB
Explorer

Re: tardy to the party

Unread post by BuzzardB »

Swiped?

Jaeger just means Hunter.
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

Rick S. wrote:Jaeger is Bavarian for Hunter, usually appended as Jaeger Meister or hunt master.

Huh, thought it was Germanic term for Hunter, or was Germanic derived from Bavarian.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

ryan wrote:Im sure this subject has been beaten to death but does anyone find it funny that del toro swiped the moniker "jeager? Or would that be a compliment? Great movie by the way (pacific rim). Its almost as if kevin long consulted on the design of gipsy danger. Just curious/bored
Ryan

It is just german for hunter it gets used a lot in various anime.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Kaid is right. Bavarian is not a language, it is a German dialect.

Jäger means hunter. It can also mean a military unit type like the US rangers. In military aviation the term is usually used like "Jagdflieger", ie combat pilots, lit. "hunt or hunting pilots", or Faltschirmjäger, ie parachute infantry, lit. Parachute-Hunters.

The Jaeger as a military term for a combat walker would likely be Jagdläufer or Panzerläufer.
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Triax is what introduced me to the term, but other than recognizing what it meant (and the movie itself defines the term as the first thing it does) I didn't make any other connection, let alone thinking they'd 'swiped' it.

Just happened to use the same term for a similar notion; a giant monster hunting robot. If the Pacific Rim mechs had been called "T-50 Totally Not Triax Giant Monster Hunter Ha Ha Bring it Palladium" it'd be another story, but as others have noted, it's not exactly an uncommon term in the genre that PR draws heavily from.
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

How dare the native speaking German weigh in on this subject with accurate information! :lol:

-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

Forar wrote:Triax is what introduced me to the term, but other than recognizing what it meant (and the movie itself defines the term as the first thing it does) I didn't make any other connection, let alone thinking they'd 'swiped' it.

Just happened to use the same term for a similar notion; a giant monster hunting robot. If the Pacific Rim mechs had been called "T-50 Totally Not Triax Giant Monster Hunter Ha Ha Bring it Palladium" it'd be another story, but as others have noted, it's not exactly an uncommon term in the genre that PR draws heavily from.

lol, awesome. Now I want to make a movie just so I can name a mecha that.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

Rick S. wrote:
Hendrik wrote:Kaid is right. Bavarian is not a language, it is a German dialect.

Jäger means hunter. It can also mean a military unit type like the US rangers. In military aviation the term is usually used like "Jagdflieger", ie combat pilots, lit. "hunt or hunting pilots", or Faltschirmjäger, ie parachute infantry, lit. Parachute-Hunters.

The Jaeger as a military term for a combat walker would likely be Jagdläufer or Panzerläufer.

Really Hendrik next you'll say Mandarin or Cantonese are just dialects of Chinese, which is true, but its not the same language, just like Mexican Spanish is not the same as Castilian Spanish. Bavarian is a language root of the Germanic Language which has many dialects which some can be traced back to their Gaul ancestors. but had different meanings for words and different contexts, its just like American English vs. Royal English both languages are the same and yet not because they use different words for different meanings.

I feel like I inadvertently started something...again.
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Rick S. wrote:
palladiumjunkie wrote:How dare the native speaking German weigh in on this subject with accurate information! :lol:

-Chris

And your saying i'm not? or that i'm not even Bavarian ?

I did not make either of those statements. You had not identified yourself as a native speaking Bavarian. So, being that I was aware that Hendrik is German, I found a certain amount of irony in your comments on Hendrik's post. With the inferred revelation that you are a native speaking Bavarian, the irony has rusted away.

-Chris

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
Marcus
Explorer

Unread post by Marcus »

Rick S. wrote:
palladiumjunkie wrote:
Rick S. wrote:
palladiumjunkie wrote:How dare the native speaking German weigh in on this subject with accurate information! :lol:

-Chris

I did not make either of those statements. You had not identified yourself as a native speaking Bavarian. So, being that I was aware that Hendrik is German, I found a certain amount of irony in your comments on Hendrik's post. With the inferred revelation that you are a native speaking Bavarian, the irony has rusted away.

-Chris

part Bavarian yes, and lets just say while same country not always same mindset between the German States.

Bavarians are not native german speakers. :D
Dear optimists, pessimists, and realists,
While you were all arguing over the glass of water, I just drank it.

Sincerely,
an opportunist.
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Marcus wrote:
Rick S. wrote:
palladiumjunkie wrote:
Rick S. wrote:

-Chris

-Chris

part Bavarian yes, and lets just say while same country not always same mindset between the German States.

Bavarians are not native german speakers. :D

Oh, it is on!!! :D

Marcus
Explorer

Unread post by Marcus »

Rick S. wrote:spoken like a true Hessian. :-P

Worse, born Palatine. :lol:

Sincerely,
an opportunist.
Marcus
Explorer

Unread post by Marcus »

Rick S. wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Rick S. wrote:spoken like a true Hessian. :-P

Worse, born Palatine. :lol:

so I should bow to you as I sneer at you ? :-P

Yes

Sincerely,
an opportunist.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

Rick, I do not think that is quite correct. Bavarian is one of the upper German dialects. What makes you think it is a separate language?

I cannot follow your statement vis-à-vis Gaul. That reference is puzzling to me.

I have never found dialects to be a touchy subject in Germany. Speaking in dialect was once seen per se as a sign of low education, true, but that is no longer the case. I like dialects for the regional colour they give a language and most for their sound (tilt, if you will).

With respect to English, I hold with H.L. Mencken.

With Chinese and Spanish, I have no experise.

Cheers,
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

Which part and what would happen in your opinion?

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

No. I am by descent Saxon, Prussian, Hessian, and some other parts, by birth Suebian. I have lived in Hess for a long time. I could not say I am touchy, nor do I tend to ride headless.

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

The OP is aware that people have been using "Jager" in the name of huge armor plated engines of death ever since World War Two, right?

Plus on a broader note, if something from other media looks or sounds like something from Rifts, it probably doesn't mean that they ripped off Rifts. For starters, most people have never even heard of Rifts. And for seconds, the Rifts setting is built out of recognisable archetypes and tropes rather than original and unfamiliar ideas, so if something looks like something from Rifts then it's safe to assume that they're both riffing off an older source.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

ryan wrote:Touché, however, if most prople dont recognize rifts references then its a moot point. In my tiny world it's funny that the term jaeger was applied to giant mecha, because my first experience with the term " jaeger" being applied to mecha of any size was way back when (kevin long and the triax book...genius, classic etc) I just thought it was interesting and I apologize for using the the word swiped, my bad. I would imagine that palladium took it as a compliment if anything.

I agree with you Ryan. When I saw the Pacific Rim info and the Jaeger, I thought the same thing.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Mine was with references to World War 2.

Though I think Palladium's reference predates that by about five years.

Which means Germany has some serious explaining to do.

We should send them a C&D.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”