Kindle Worlds for Palladium-based stories?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Should Palladium Books get into Kindle Worlds?

Yes!
57%
No!
20%
I abstain!
22%

Total votes: 49

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Kindle Worlds for Palladium-based stories?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Hotrod wrote:Given the editing fiasco over Sonic Boom, and its reception over at Amazon, I can understand if Kevin is a bit shy.

Mostly, though, I think it's a question of prospects. Kevin himself told me at Fanfare last year that the market for RPG-derived books is small, a niche within a niche. He doesn't see it as being worth his crew's time and energy. I had a discussion with Alex that underscored this perspective. Neither would rule it out in absolute terms, but neither had much enthusiasm for Palladium IP-based fiction.

Kevin is wrong if he thinks that RPG fiction is a small potential market.

Even if he's right, a small potential market that gives Palladium cash with no ongoing effort is better than them only making money when they spend significant time and energy editing, rewriting, and publishing books on their own.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

J.L. Duncan wrote:So when are you guys planning to ask Kevin?

Will someone step to plate, so to say?

And post the results?

Any takers?

I might at some point.
But I plan to let the topic go for a bit longer first.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

JimmyB
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have been gaming since 1977 and GMing since 1986.
If its an RPG or has minis, Its here somewhere.

Unread post by JimmyB »

Just my personal opinion, but I don't like Kindle Worlds.
I have written for fan magazines a few times, the rules are strait forward.
The way I see it, if someone wants to write fan fiction then submit it for the Rifter.
Jimmy B aka Beatleguise
Gaming in the Verse.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

J.L. Duncan wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
J.L. Duncan wrote:So when are you guys planning to ask Kevin?

Will someone step to plate, so to say?

And post the results?

Any takers?

I might at some point.
But I plan to let the topic go for a bit longer first.

I know you are for the idea KC.
Though I'd like to ask, is there anything you're not sure about or don't like about the idea of Palladium fanfic being put to use with Kindle Worlds?

I don't like the idea that I wouldn't have exclusive rights to write Palladium fiction. :D

Also, I don't like that a lot of the fiction would likely be poorly written, and I don't like that one heck of a lot of it would help promote views of the Rifts setting that I personally despise.
I think that Rifts is best when it's fairly dark and serious. There can be light moments, but what's going on should be taken seriously, not treated like a cheap cartoon.
Rifts at its best is firefly. But a lot of people treat it like Dragonball or other crappy anime.

Even though I don't like that, I do recognize that it's in Palladium's best interest (to an extent) to profit on whatever actually sells. If most readers like crap, cartoonish settings and stories, then that's how Palladium can make the money that they need. I won't hold that against them.
I'd just try to provide better, high-quality stuff as an alternative.
Which, really, is how Kindle Worlds would play to Palladium's strengths- it would provide a huge, often conflicting variety of views of the setting, that people could pick and choose from according to their desires.
The reason that Rifts works so well is because it's like a chinese buffet. People can take what they want, and leave the rest.
That's also the way that Kindle Worlds works.
So even though I'd like to have significant authority in how Rifts is portrayed, I can live with things being more democratic than that, and I can even admit that it might be for the best.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

JimmyB wrote:Just my personal opinion, but I don't like Kindle Worlds.
The way I see it, if someone wants to write fan fiction then submit it for the Rifter.

The rifter simply isn't the same.
-People who don't buy the Rifter simply won't read it.
-The Rifter requires approval and editing, which gets back to the infamous Palladium Bottleneck.
-The Rifter has Palladium's endorsement, which would mean rejecting a heck of a lot of fiction that they could profit from.

Kindle Worlds means more profit faster for Palladium, with almost zero effort.

JimmyB
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by JimmyB »

It gives people free reign to write anything they want.
That is never good for any game.
Jimmy B aka Beatleguise
Gaming in the Verse.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

JimmyB wrote:It gives people free reign to write anything they want.

No, not "anything."
Palladium can still set guidelines, and Amazon can take down anything that conflicts with such guidelines.

JimmyB
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by JimmyB »

I suppose if the guidelines were strict enough it is possible.
But it is still a concern. I have seen games that got distorted
beyond recognition before. Granted I am not blaming that on
Kindle Worlds.
Jimmy B aka Beatleguise
Gaming in the Verse.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I'd love it if they did this. I'd clean up my act, do some editing, get the weapons right. Hell yeah.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

first - NOBODY from Palladium has said anything about this so how about no conclusion jumping?

second - how are Amazons terms any worse than Palladium's? Freelancers can't retain rights to their work with Palladium either. At least with Amazon you keep earning every time your work sells.

third - I really love this underlying assumption that Indie Writer = crap/garbage. I have seem some of the worst writing in my life from the "Traditional" world of publishing.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

JimmyB wrote:It gives people free reign to write anything they want.

That's not true at all, look at the terms and guidelines for the stuff already available on Kindle Worlds.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Josh Hilden
Adventurer

JimmyB wrote:Just my personal opinion, but I don't like Kindle Worlds.

Write a short story, or gods forbid a long one, for the Rifter and you might as well be flushing it. They rarely get published there.

As long as you meet the guidelines and Amazon standards you'll be published on Amazon.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
Killer Cyborg
Priest

JimmyB wrote:I suppose if the guidelines were strict enough it is possible.
But it is still a concern. I have seen games that got distorted
beyond recognition before
. Granted I am not blaming that on
Kindle Worlds.

Have you compared RUE to the RMB...?

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Josh Hilden wrote:first - NOBODY from Palladium has said anything about this so how about no conclusion jumping?

second - how are Amazons terms any worse than Palladium's? Freelancers can't retain rights to their work with Palladium either. At least with Amazon you keep earning every time your work sells.

Right. That would be part of the appeal.

third - I really love this underlying assumption that Indie Writer = crap/garbage. I have seem some of the worst writing in my life from the "Traditional" world of publishing.

One heck of a lot of indie stuff IS crap... but yeah, there's a lot of unimaginable garbage that gets published as well.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Josh Hilden wrote:third - I really love this underlying assumption that Indie Writer = crap/garbage. I have seem some of the worst writing in my life from the "Traditional" world of publishing.

i never said that indie write = crap/garbage.

i said that most writing, period, is crap/garbage, including a large portion of what gets published by companies, and that by extension we can presume that without filtering even more stuff is crap/garbage.

*some* fan authors or independent authors are indeed really amazing. the vast majority are not, and i have not heard any convincing arguments about why i should expect kindle worlds (where nobody who is working for the IP holder is in charge of editing and approval, assuming *anyone* is in charge of editing and approval other than checking for a few specific things) will not lead to a very large pile of crap/garbage with a few gems buried somewhere in that midden heap.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Josh Hilden wrote:second - how are Amazons terms any worse than Palladium's?

They aren't. Now I refer you to the last sentence in my previous post. Same holds true.
:fool:
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:[*some* fan authors or independent authors are indeed really amazing. the vast majority are not, and i have not heard any convincing arguments about why i should expect kindle worlds (where nobody who is working for the IP holder is in charge of editing and approval, assuming *anyone* is in charge of editing and approval other than checking for a few specific things) will not lead to a very large pile of crap/garbage with a few gems buried somewhere in that midden heap.

For the most part, that's what it'll be like, just like the ebook market in general.

The controls in place are:
1. Palladium would have content guidelines in place, so certain kinds of content can be filtered out.
2. Palladium would be able to remove any book that didn't provide a quality customer experience. So the bottom of the barrel could be removed.
3. Amazon has a rating system. If something only has 1 star, it's probably not that hidden gem you're looking for. If it has 5 stars, then it's probably going to be decent (assuming a decent number of ratings). If it has no ratings, then beware.
4. You can read a free preview of any Kindle book online. Just click on the picture of the book in question. If the preview looks like crap, then don't buy it.
5. IF Palladium did this, I'd assume that there would be a section of the forums specifically for discussing the Kindle Worlds fiction. It's likely that people would discuss their views/opinions about the products there, which would make it easier to find the hidden gems.

All in all, if Palladium did this, it still might not be something that you're personally interested in. But there's a heck of a lot of people out there that might be. The web is full of crappy fanfiction that somebody reads.

Eddie Focus
D-Bee

Unread post by Eddie Focus »

Josh Hilden wrote:For Indie Writers it is, who decides what constitutes a "Professional Edit"?

Any Indie writer who doesn't know what a professional edit is and doesn't have their stuff given a professional edit are the ones publishing garbage. Unedited fan fiction belongs on the blogs. This is an attempt to create some serious material with the properties.
Eddie Focus
D-Bee

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Josh Hilden wrote:first - NOBODY from Palladium has said anything about this so how about no conclusion jumping?

One heck of a lot of indie stuff IS crap... but yeah, there's a lot of unimaginable garbage that gets published as well.

The authors who are serious about making a good product for the readers are easy to distinguish form the mass pulp. Those authors make a business of it and work hard to promote, pay for good edits and spend time with their readers. That is like saying because there are bad restaurants among the good restaurants you should just avoid eating out all together.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Eddie Focus wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

The authors who are serious about making a good product for the readers are easy to distinguish form the mass pulp. Those authors make a business of it and work hard to promote, pay for good edits and spend time with their readers. That is like saying because there are bad restaurants among the good restaurants you should just avoid eating out all together.

Kind of, yeah.

Although, I would modestly claim that there ARE good authors out there who don't have the finances to pay for fancy cover art and decent promotion. ;)

Josh Hilden
Adventurer

Traditional Publishing isn't dying or going away but it is going through what the music and movie industries have or are currently experiencing. I'll advocate for Self and Indie publishing till I'm blue in the face. Kindle Worlds is just a branch iof self publishing and it gets the writer exposure, experience, and a few coins in their pocket.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
Killer Cyborg
Priest

J.L. Duncan wrote:My thoughts are…

Setting wise, even as a (hardly published writer) I’m having a hard time coming up with something I’d write through kindle and set beneath Palladium’s IPs.

A good majority of the stories I work on, are irrelevant to being set in the Palladium Megaverse. The settings could easily be similar (but not the same) in theme, without handcuffing the story to another private entity…

A zombie story doesn’t need to be set in Dead Reign to be a zombie story… That said, would I write zombie story? Not likely. And especially not likely without introducing some new concept or theme (again something interesting and independent of the original concepts of Dead Reign) in which to tell a story that hopefully people hadn’t read before.

I have respect for what Josh has done with self-publishing, but it’s not for me. And this idea of handcuffing your writing to an IP and to Kindle is not the same as just self-publishing.

I don’t think those that take their writing seriously should be handing it over in this format, except that maybe it might give the writer some exposure and experience; but if they can write and have a good story-they’d be an idiot to publish it in this manner-(such is my opinion).

The only positive I see out of this possible venture is… Maybe some talent may be discovered.

Still, the subject makes for good conversation- ;)

Good thoughts.

Here are mine:
I take my writing seriously. Like Josh Hilden, I've done the self-publishing thing (and I'm still doing it).
But I lack Josh's marketing ability, I have no funding, and I don't have his level of product output (i.e., he puts out a lot more words, a lot faster than I do).

What I've discovered with self-publishing for the Kindle is that you can't just put a good product out there and expect people to instantly hear about it. You have to spend massive amounts of time and/or money making people aware of the product. Details like cover art are also crucial.
I'm a writer, and I'm a good one.
I'm not an artist, though, nor a promoter, and I don't have any money to pay for advertising.

In my position, it would be completely worth my while to write a Rifts story, giving up any rights to the characters or concepts and such, in exchange for a slice of the pie.
It would be worth it for the advertising alone, and for the word-of-mouth.

Any time any of my 99-cent Kindle short stories sells, I get about 30 cents of the cut.
But because my stories are just sitting in the massive slushpile that is the Kindle ebook catalogue, they're not selling like hotcakes. Very few people are even aware that they exist.

Just by having my name attached to the Palladium brand, I would be making my name known to thousands (potentially tens of thousands) of Rifts fans, which would drastically increase the chances of them buying my work, if only that one story.
That would significantly increase the income that I get from my writing, just from that one story.
And if people liked THAT story, they might well look to see what other work I've done, and might well purchase that stuff as well.

Story ideas are easy, and characters are easy. I don't currently have any characters or concepts so priceless that I wouldn't be willing to let Palladium/Amazon have the IP for them.
I can always make more, IF I can start making enough money with my writing to quit one or all of my day jobs.

Josh Hilden
Adventurer

Marketing in the Indie/Self Publishing world is a pain in the butt. The most important thing to do is keep at it, no self publisher is going to have success overnight. I am marginally successful I know some writers who make serious coin every month in the self published world.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Josh Hilden wrote:Marketing in the Indie/Self Publishing world is a pain in the butt. The most important thing to do is keep at it, no self publisher is going to have success overnight. I am marginally successful I know some writers who make serious coin every month in the self published world.

Yup. It can certainly be done.
But it takes the right set of skills and/or circumstances and/or personality.
I'm much more suited to indie publishing than to going through a traditional publisher, but as you say... it's still a pain in the butt.

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

One thing that concerns me, and I believe Josh Hilden will agree with me. Every writer needs an editor. I don't care who you are, Stephen King, who literally wroteThe Book on writing talks about the need for an editor. I agree though the "professional" part of this is hard to enforce and way too hard on the writer for fan fic. Still, all else fails someone else needs to read this before you click on publish.
Killer Cyborg wrote:http://www.wired.com/2013/05/kindle-worlds-fanfic-copyright/
Wired spoke with attorney Jeff Trexler, who expressed similar concerns, pointing to a clause in Amazon’s contact that grants Amazon and the licensor rights to the text of the stories and any original elements they might contain.

“In short, if your fan fiction includes new elements that catch on with the general public, it’s likely that you’ll not be able to profit from them outside of the stories that you write,” he said. “For example, Time Warner could launch a movie series based on a character you created and not owe you a dime. While the terms state that you retain the copyright, you also give Amazon an exclusive license to your original work and Amazon in turn licenses your work to Time Warner in a license that provides nothing for you.”

Furthermore, says Trexler, if you decided to keep using that character outside of Kindle Worlds, you’d be violating the terms of your contract.

Thanks for this KC, I read the whole article, twice, and I still can not believe it. I know I am not a lawyer and it has been 23 years (wow I'm old) since I took Contract Law 201 and Business Law 101 but I find it hard to believe that if a KW author creates the next Super Man and the IP holder is making millions that judge would not throw the terms out under one of the most basic ideas of contract law, "Contract are void on their face if the terms are illegal, coercive, or unconscionable"

Jesterzzn wrote:Kindle Worlds is [allegedly] an IP mining project. It's [potentially] the worst kind of shady publisher practice.

It provides a framework for companies like Turner to jump on characters with viral popularity and then compensate the creators nothing. So, while it could be a great way for people to get their feet wet by writing material for already developed settings, it could also be a way for a person to watch their creations grow and prosper in popular culture without being paid one red cent. Siegal and Shuster learned a hard lesson, and I'd like to think it was so that hopefully everyone else could avoid their mistake.

Siegel & Shuster's heirs won in the end, that's why they get money every time SM is used. And I am sorry but that idea will be hanging over any IP that uses KW.

Killer Cyborg wrote:The controls in place are:
1. Palladium would have content guidelines in place, so certain kinds of content can be filtered out.
2. Palladium would be able to remove any book that didn't provide a quality customer experience. So the bottom of the barrel could be removed.
3. Amazon has a rating system. If something only has 1 star, it's probably not that hidden gem you're looking for. If it has 5 stars, then it's probably going to be decent (assuming a decent number of ratings). If it has no ratings, then beware.
4. You can read a free preview of any Kindle book online. Just click on the picture of the book in question. If the preview looks like crap, then don't buy it.
5. IF Palladium did this, I'd assume that there would be a section of the forums specifically for discussing the Kindle Worlds fiction. It's likely that people would discuss their views/opinions about the products there, which would make it easier to find the hidden gems.

All in all, if Palladium did this, it still might not be something that you're personally interested in. But there's a heck of a lot of people out there that might be. The web is full of crappy fanfiction that somebody reads.

Point #2 concerns me. I could see PB getting bogged down on what gets removed from KW and what doesn't and at that point this ceases to be something with zero effort to PB and becomes a huge time suck with little return.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Warshield73 wrote:Point #2 concerns me. I could see PB getting bogged down on what gets removed from KW and what doesn't and at that point this ceases to be something with zero effort to PB and becomes a huge time suck with little return.

That is a potential concern.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Warshield73 wrote:Siegel & Shuster's heirs won in the end, that's why they get money every time SM is used. And I am sorry but that idea will be hanging over any IP that uses KW.

and it *only* took them 60 years to win that, after multiple failed attempts and a slightly successful trial by media, and without actually getting anything from international sales afaict, and not yet getting anything from any of the movies (and potentially never getting it). and some of the success that they've had can still be challenged by DC.

so hey, go ahead and sell your IP. it'll only take you 60 years to earn back some of your rights, and who knows, maybe if you live to be 150 you'll actually have managed to get back most of what you should have had in the first place.

now, i'm not saying this *will* happen to anyone publishing on kindle worlds (the first step is, after all, having a character you create become wildly popular, which is not common no matter who you are), but if it comes down to it... i don't think it's reasonable to point to siegel and shuster and say "see, there's nothing to worry about at all, it all worked out for them". it's a bit silly to dismiss the decades of legal battles, which are still ongoing some 80 years later, when determining whether there is a danger or not.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:Siegel & Shuster's heirs won in the end, that's why they get money every time SM is used. And I am sorry but that idea will be hanging over any IP that uses KW.

and it *only* took them 60 years to win that, after multiple failed attempts and a slightly successful trial by media, and without actually getting anything from international sales afaict, and not yet getting anything from any of the movies (and potentially never getting it). and some of the success that they've had can still be challenged by DC.

so hey, go ahead and sell your IP. it'll only take you 60 years to earn back some of your rights, and who knows, maybe if you live to be 150 you'll actually have managed to get back most of what you should have had in the first place.

now, i'm not saying this *will* happen to anyone publishing on kindle worlds (the first step is, after all, having a character you create become wildly popular, which is not common no matter who you are), but if it comes down to it... i don't think it's reasonable to point to siegel and shuster and say "see, there's nothing to worry about at all, it all worked out for them". it's a bit silly to dismiss the decades of legal battles, which are still ongoing some 80 years later, when determining whether there is a danger or not.

I have a hard time envisioning any character that I create for Rifts becoming the next Superman.
If one of them DID, that's peachy. I get money any time one of my Kindle stories featuring that character is downloaded, regardless of how much money Palladium might make off of other uses of the character.
It's not a competition. It's a partnership, albeit an inequal one.
In the case where the Kindle Worlds project is terminated, AFTER Palladium takes over a character that I created for their own use, then I won't get that money. But I'll quite likely be making a lot of money anyway, because of the boost that being attached to such a character would give my other writing.
Palladium can keep "Super-Rifts-Man" or whatever. I can and will always make new characters.

I cannot envision a scenario where I battle Palladium for 60 years in order to go against the contract that I signed, instead of spending that 60 years writing new stuff.

For people who think that they only have 1d4 good ideas, I'd suggest that they don't use those ideas on a Kindle Worlds project.
But I can't recall any writers that I know of that think that they only have 1d4 good ideas.

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

I have a hard time envisioning any character that I create for Rifts becoming the next Superman.
If one of them DID, that's peachy. I get money any time one of my Kindle stories featuring that character is downloaded, regardless of how much money Palladium might make off of other uses of the character.
It's not a competition. It's a partnership, albeit an inequal one.
In the case where the Kindle Worlds project is terminated, AFTER Palladium takes over a character that I created for their own use, then I won't get that money. But I'll quite likely be making a lot of money anyway, because of the boost that being attached to such a character would give my other writing.
Palladium can keep "Super-Rifts-Man" or whatever. I can and will always make new characters.

I cannot envision a scenario where I battle Palladium for 60 years in order to go against the contract that I signed, instead of spending that 60 years writing new stuff.

For people who think that they only have 1d4 good ideas, I'd suggest that they don't use those ideas on a Kindle Worlds project.
But I can't recall any writers that I know of that think that they only have 1d4 good ideas.

I actually can't see this either. What you have in most cases is a moderately successful product for an IP that bares some resemblance to a Fan Fic and then the person sues in hope of a pay day. And while Warner, and DC, and Marvel can crush these like a bug, I do not think PB could.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Josh Hilden
Adventurer

It's all a thought experiment anyway.

:)
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Warshield73 wrote:I actually can't see this either. What you have in most cases is a moderately successful product for an IP that bares some resemblance to a Fan Fic and then the person sues in hope of a pay day. And while Warner, and DC, and Marvel can crush these like a bug, I do not think PB could.

Amazon could, though.

Eddie Focus
D-Bee

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:I actually can't see this either. What you have in most cases is a moderately successful product for an IP that bares some resemblance to a Fan Fic and then the person sues in hope of a pay day. And while Warner, and DC, and Marvel can crush these like a bug, I do not think PB could.

Amazon could, though.

Exactly my thought. Keeping it real, Palladium Books is just not very good with publishing stories in the novel format. They need to let up on the reigns a little and build a partnership with someone that does. Kobo is another company that is good with publishing. I only see it as a win for PB. Think of all the authors that are going to sell their own books and indirectly promote the brand as well.
Josh Hilden
Adventurer

It's like Kindle and Nook but mostly in Canada and Europe.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Most would probably only go for stuff that was high-rated, though.

As with everything.

Jesterzzn wrote:It provides a framework for companies like Turner to jump on characters with viral popularity and then compensate the creators nothing. So, while it could be a great way for people to get their feet wet by writing material for already developed settings, it could also be a way for a person to watch their creations grow and prosper in popular culture without being paid one red cent.

Except that's not true. If you did create a popular character, you can write more Kindle Worlds novels with that popular character and profit from the sales.

And if any writer is frightened that they're about to create "Super-Rifts-Man" that will star in 12 blockbuster movies, then all you have to do is use NPCs already in the Rifts canon. Viola! AKA, there are plenty of NPCs in the 30+ Rifts books so you don't need to create your own main character if you are so concerned.

Killer Cyborg wrote:Also, I don't like that a lot of the fiction would likely be poorly written, and I don't like that one heck of a lot of it would help promote views of the Rifts setting that I personally despise. I think that Rifts is best when it's fairly dark and serious. There can be light moments, but what's going on should be taken seriously, not treated like a cheap cartoon.

Isn't the law, 90% of everything is crap?

I am okay with different authors having a different view of the setting.

Killer Cyborg wrote:Kindle Worlds means more profit faster for Palladium, with almost zero effort.

THAT has to be the pitch to Kevin.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Spinachcat wrote:

Jesterzzn wrote:It provides a framework for companies like Turner to jump on characters with viral popularity and then compensate the creators nothing. So, while it could be a great way for people to get their feet wet by writing material for already developed settings, it could also be a way for a person to watch their creations grow and prosper in popular culture without being paid one red cent.

Except that's not true. If you did create a popular character, you can write more Kindle Worlds novels with that popular character and profit from the sales.

If they make a movie, comic, tv show, lunch box, or any other form of licensed work featuring an original character the parent companies do not have to pay the author anything. So, In what way is what I said not true? Are really arguing that Kindle Worlds residuals would be fair compensation should they feature that character in any form of main stream setting? Legal compensation? Sure. But fair? I disagree.

And if any writer is frightened that they're about to create "Super-Rifts-Man" that will star in 12 blockbuster movies, then all you have to do is use NPCs already in the Rifts canon. Viola! AKA, there are plenty of NPCs in the 30+ Rifts books so you don't need to create your own main character if you are so concerned.

I don't think anyone is confusing Turner with Palladium, well except maybe you. But just to be clear, I don't think anyone would get rich making Rifts fan fiction. Not ever. But that doesn't make the way things are set up any more fair to the author. Everything is spelled out beforehand, so the choice is left to the individual. While I do not make my money in publishing, I do make my money doing contracted consulting services. I would never work under the conditions Amazon imposes. So no, I wouldn't write for them were I a professional writer. But that's, like, just my opinion, man.
:fool:
Killer Cyborg
Priest

It's all about supply and demand.
Whether or not Kindle Worlds is worth your time depends on what other options are available.
10% of a loaf is better than none.

Eddie Focus
D-Bee

Ninjabunny wrote:Who is Kobo?

Kobo is another e-book publisher, they had a partnership with Borders before they went bankrupt. Like Josh said, Kobo is the top seller of E-Books in Canada. Unlike Amazon they are strictly a bookseller. Most consider them the best format for international book sales.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”