Conventions Et Cetera

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

Conventions Et Cetera

Unread post by KillWatch »

So I am thinking about running some palladium games at Gen Con and some more local cons, even Open House.

My question is should this be by the book, keeping away from house rules, or is it pretty open?
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Re: Conventions Et Cetera

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

I say run however you want. It's your game.

I do a mix of house rules, con rules, and book rules. The focus is on the players so I try and make things quick and fun so everyone gets a chance to shine.
ImageImage
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

Have fun and embrace the awesome! Use the blend of rules that feel right to you but be sure to give the players a run down of house rules before the game and be consistent.
When I run convention games, I almost always welcome newbies and teach rules. Con games are normally 4 hours and don't have enough time for real rule crunch. If you have a bunch of newbies, do your best to make the rules transparent and have fun with the players.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Both of these responses are good. I try to stay as close to the book as possible, but I am a pretty fast a nd loose GM in the con setting. I ascribe to the rule of cool, so if the players are having a good time then I've done my job.

Note: Any house rules should be mentioned and discussed before the game. Period. Same with Pre-gen characters. give the players an opportunity to ask questions and even allow them the flexibility to make changes on the fly if they want. I've had players ask for everything from a change in gender (Carmen Bellaire didn't want to play a female, but I made him and it was the most hillarious thing I've ever seen) to a bucket of chicken (with the best con game group I'VE EVER HAD).
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

Just have fun doing it, it's not a formal gaming group and the vast majority of players just wanna have fun.

:)
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
The Galactus Kid

Josh Hilden wrote: players just wanna have fun.

Just like girls, right? (Madonna reference. BOOYAH)
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

The Galactus Kid

J.L. Duncan wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
Josh Hilden wrote: players just wanna have fun.

Just like girls, right? (Madonna reference. BOOYAH)

Unless you have a player who is a girl...

(That would be BOOYAHx2!!)- :mrgreen:

Well played, sir.

Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I thought it was Cyndi Lauper who talked about Girls wanting to have fun, while her Dad Captain Lou was upset with her...
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

You'd be right.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I try to stay close to RAW at cons from the player side. Why? Con games are short, if you waste time teaching house rules that the players may or may not see, then you are eating up time from the actual gameplay. Most of the time you have 4 hours or 6 hour slots and you have to have a beginning + middle + end of your adventure. Anything that detracts from the speed of play has got to go.

Remember GM has a lot of control in con games because you are making the pregen PCs so the sheet says what you want it to say. AKA, if there are spells or powers or psi or OCCs or RCCs or combos that are problematic, you just skip them.

One of the only obvious house rules I use is I don't give the base +2 Attacks/Actions and I use a fixed initiative. I also give players a chart about how to spend actions to help them speed up gameplay. But behind the screen on the GM side, there are probably a whole bunch of my house rules happening that the players never see.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Do it however you want, whatever works for the players. Join the MA program! We have cookies (ok, no cookies, but we do provide swag for con games)
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

thinking about the MA but what are the rules
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

KillWatch wrote:thinking about the MA but what are the rules

1. Run PB games at game stores and conventions - getting new players is great, but revitalizing lapsed fans is equally awesome. There are lots of thread in the MA forum about support and advice. We have a really good MA crew.

2. Make a good presentation - AKA, you are the first impression of Palladium. There was a thread on RPG.net several years ago about Worse GMs Ever and too many worst stories featured Palladium GMs. That's worth reading for MAs. MAs should be familiar with online negative comments so the MAs can counter the stereotypes or fears.

3. Have Fun!
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Spinachcat wrote:
KillWatch wrote:thinking about the MA but what are the rules

1. Run PB games at game stores and conventions - getting new players is great, but revitalizing lapsed fans is equally awesome. There are lots of thread in the MA forum about support and advice. We have a really good MA crew.

2. Make a good presentation - AKA, you are the first impression of Palladium. There was a thread on RPG.net several years ago about Worse GMs Ever and too many worst stories featured Palladium GMs. That's worth reading for MAs. MAs should be familiar with online negative comments so the MAs can counter the stereotypes or fears.

3. Have Fun!

Well said!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”