Which game lines would you close?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Which game lines would you close?

Splicers
7%
Rifts
2%
Rifts: Chaos Earth
4%
Robotech: Shadow Chronicles
3%
PFRPG
3%
Heros Unlimited
3%
Dead Reign
4%
Night Bane
5%
BTS
8%
After The Bomb
9%
TMNT
11%
Systems Failure
12%
Mechanoids
10%
Recon
12%
None of them
3%
All of them (I hate RPGs and don't even know why I'm here)
No votes
Tacos
4%

Total votes: 294

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Re: Which game lines would you close?

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Granted full control?
I would announce a 4 books per year schedule Plus 6 Rifters per year.
The schedule would be
Rifts 1st quarter
TBA 2nd quarter
Rifts 3rd quarter
TBA 4th quarter
(TBA would be a cycling of PF, HU, BTS, NB, possible new lines, etc...)

The Rifter schedule would still be the usual Quarterly plus 2 additional "re-print" issues.
The Re-Prints would "best of" collections based around whatever lines we chose to not print that year.
Example: 1Q: Rifts & a Rifter; 2Q: PF, a Rifter, & a Best of the The Rifter NB edition; 3Q: Rifts & a Rifter, 4Q: HU, a Rifter, & a Best of The Rifter BTS edition.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

None of them.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

the ones where the last forum post was like 2011. jussayin. maybe the two fans got into a dispute over sixth sense and nolonger game together.
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

TMNT hasn't been a licensed property for Palladium in many moons, and probably should be replaced with Ninjas and Superspies.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Grug
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grug »

I just wanted to let whoever said PFRPG know that I'm going to hunt you down and force you to role play it till your hands cramp from dice rolling! :p
If you know your enemy and know yourself your victory will not stand in doubt. -Sun Tzu
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh
BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

I voted pretty much everything except Rifts, Palladium Fantasy, Heroes and Robotech.

4 Books a year, 1 of each. Never again have to wait years upon years for the next book in the line.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I personally feel. Two lines. Sdc dimensions and mdc dimensions. Corresponding canon for each.
Deas reign Heroes Unlimited palladium fantasy nightbane after the bomb ninjas and super spies. One setting.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I definitely think PF should be dropped. Yes I know a few hundred people still play it. However, there are fantasy games out there that do it better that a few MILLION people play.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

NONE. Specially RIFTS, SPLICERS and HU.
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Those of you who chose TMNT are too late, it is long gone.
---------
Where is Macross 2 in that list???? It is more recent then TMNT. ;)
---------
Control....
Put Rifts on a 2 year sabbatical and focus on the other settings.
Rifters....same as is, and add in "Collection Issues" magic, Psi, BTS, "canon publications from in the Rifters", etc..
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Icefalcon
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Put Rifts on a 2 year sabbatical and focus on the other settings.

I don't think their biggest seller is ever going to see a sabbatical. That would seriously cripple the line first off and reduce Palladium sales to an all time low.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Icefalcon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Put Rifts on a 2 year sabbatical and focus on the other settings.

I don't think their biggest seller is ever going to see a sabbatical. That would seriously cripple the line first off and reduce Palladium sales to an all time low.

Was answering a "What if....." question. As such the answer does not have to be realistic. :P
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Icefalcon
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

Was answering a "What if....." question. As such the answer does not have to be realistic. :P

You have me there. It just seems like it would cripple the company not matter who was in charge was all the point I was trying to make. ;)
Icefalcon
Champion

Nightfactory wrote:Here's what I picked:

Rifts: Chaos Earth - Because it's not a stand-alone game (main book), has few supplements, is poorly-designed, and seems to be more of an after-thought than anything else. Rifts RUE explains everything in Chaos Earth making it completely unneccessary.

Dead Reign - Never really took off, hasn't been well supported, and it seems like a mash-up of BTS, Nightbane, and Systems Failure.

BTS - Basically a rip-off of Call of Cthulhu (my opinion) to compete with that market. Again, hasn't been well-supported. Let it die.

After The Bomb - Never took off, not well-supported, and almost nobody anywhere plays this. Most people I've met are not even aware that it's a Palladium title.

TMNT - Dead and gone aeons ago, plus no liscence.

Systems Failure - Same as ATB.

Mechanoids - LET IT GO. I realize it was Palladium's first game, but it's been several decades and its time to put this one in the grave. The Mechanoids are ridiculously powerful to the effect that nobody is ever going to defeat them as they are written. They have added absolutely nothing to Rifts and the infamous "Mechanoids Space" book has become a bitter joke even amoung the die-hard fanboy types. Let's face it: nothing is ever going to be published in this line again, and if something was published, it would flop anyway because the system is primitive at best and the Mechanoids are simply too powerful and unballancing. This should've been dropped 20+ years ago.

My thought is that Palladium has spread itself too thin with its many game lines and that's a big part of the problem. I think Palladium should focus on it's lines that are selling because they can only do so much. The lines that have not taken off should be dumped. To use an analogy, the famous fastfood company McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Jack In The Box are always coming out with new test products. They offer them for a while and see how they sell. If they are big sellers, they eventually incorporate them into their main line. But if they do not sell well, then the companies realize that these products are simply not popular and dump them. Same concept here.

I will have to disagree on the points you bring up on Dead Reign. Even among gamers I know that would touch anything else done by Palladium, they are still buying Dead Reign books. As for support, there are 5 book other than the core book, two of which released in the last 18 months or so.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

TACOS!
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Icefalcon wrote:
Nightfactory wrote:Here's what I picked:

Rifts: Chaos Earth - Because it's not a stand-alone game (main book), has few supplements, is poorly-designed, and seems to be more of an after-thought than anything else. Rifts RUE explains everything in Chaos Earth making it completely unneccessary.

Dead Reign - Never really took off, hasn't been well supported, and it seems like a mash-up of BTS, Nightbane, and Systems Failure.

BTS - Basically a rip-off of Call of Cthulhu (my opinion) to compete with that market. Again, hasn't been well-supported. Let it die.

After The Bomb - Never took off, not well-supported, and almost nobody anywhere plays this. Most people I've met are not even aware that it's a Palladium title.

TMNT - Dead and gone aeons ago, plus no liscence.

Systems Failure - Same as ATB.

Mechanoids - LET IT GO. I realize it was Palladium's first game, but it's been several decades and its time to put this one in the grave. The Mechanoids are ridiculously powerful to the effect that nobody is ever going to defeat them as they are written. They have added absolutely nothing to Rifts and the infamous "Mechanoids Space" book has become a bitter joke even amoung the die-hard fanboy types. Let's face it: nothing is ever going to be published in this line again, and if something was published, it would flop anyway because the system is primitive at best and the Mechanoids are simply too powerful and unballancing. This should've been dropped 20+ years ago.

My thought is that Palladium has spread itself too thin with its many game lines and that's a big part of the problem. I think Palladium should focus on it's lines that are selling because they can only do so much. The lines that have not taken off should be dumped. To use an analogy, the famous fastfood company McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Jack In The Box are always coming out with new test products. They offer them for a while and see how they sell. If they are big sellers, they eventually incorporate them into their main line. But if they do not sell well, then the companies realize that these products are simply not popular and dump them. Same concept here.

I will have to disagree on the points you bring up on Dead Reign. Even among gamers I know that would touch anything else done by Palladium, they are still buying Dead Reign books. As for support, there are 5 book other than the core book, two of which released in the last 18 months or so.

I actually strongly agree with Ice on DR. Being in the UK its hard to judge what takes off in the US so I am interested in why you (NF) think it hasnt taken off. I think that PB's has done a decent job supporting DR too (obviously this comparison is against their own support of lines and not another comment on PB's compared to other RPG companies - dont want that story to rear its head again pls).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

As long............ as I have any....... thing to do with working on Palladium Books products as a freelancer I can pretty much assure you that SPLICERS won't be a closed IP!!! Way.... too many following and building, let alone the NEW material that is submitted and soon to be submitted, that will VERY likely see publication.

Don't underestimate the Splice, IT will FLOW

Just sayin
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

Premier wrote:As long............ as I have any....... thing to do with working on Palladium Books products as a freelancer I can pretty much assure you that SPLICERS won't be a closed IP!!! Way.... too many following and building, let alone the NEW material that is submitted and soon to be submitted, that will VERY likely see publication.

Just sayin

The Splice WILL FLOW :)

I started with Rifts, and i love the setting.... but since Splicers appeared on the scene, I haven't looked at Rifts.

Splicers is an awesome game.
connecting the dots
Icefalcon
Champion

Premier wrote:As long............ as I have any....... thing to do with working on Palladium Books products as a freelancer I can pretty much assure you that SPLICERS won't be a closed IP!!! Way.... too many following and building, let alone the NEW material that is submitted and soon to be submitted, that will VERY likely see publication.

Just sayin

Sorry to say Chuck, I don't find the line to be appealing. I don't visit the Splicers forums, so I am unsure of just how many people are into that line but I have to assume it is nowhere near the numbers for the top three lines. I don't begrudge others for their favorite game lines but Splicers has seen less support than any other line; at least as far as I know. Even if their had been a large number wanting more for this line, what is the possibility a good number of them have moved on due to lack of support?
Transcendence
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Transcendence »

I'd like to see a relaunch that balances the Megaversal ideal more (I love to run 'Sliders' style games taking the groups from world to world). I'm ok with keeping the SDC/MDC system but love the addition from chaos earth on more normal world SDC items that can hurt demons like silver to werewolves and vampires. Perhaps establishing 'levels of the megaversal tech to make things more interchangeable. I don't like seeing in Rifts a 30 foot robots ten foot long rifle doing the same damage as a three foot blaster a buy has strapped to his back.
One suggestion would be more 'Adventure books' like other company's. I loved picking up back in the day the rifts Adventure and miss the good old hook/line/sinker (or lights/ camera/action) or the books 'siege of Tolkien'
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

krispy wrote:

Just sayin

The Splice WILL FLOW :)

I started with Rifts, and i love the setting.... but since Splicers appeared on the scene, I haven't looked at Rifts.

Splicers is an awesome game.

Exactly! My start with Palladium was Rifts & Robotech back in the late 88-89, but ever since I dug deep into Splicers (incredibly underrated or overlooked) and truly saw what its potential was, not to mention the awesome fanbase and fan made material being so inspirational and some of the best material on these forums that I have seen, I have not looked back. This setting will flow indeed!!!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I would keep Rifts, PFRPG, and HU. That is it.

Dead Reign, in my opinion, has run it's course. Robotech has just about done so as well.

EVERYTHING ELSE (and including Dead Reign) would be relegated to Rifter articles or Online Content only. However I would increase the Rifter to0 6 issues a year.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Icefalcon wrote:

Just sayin

Sorry to say Chuck, I don't find the line to be appealing. I don't visit the Splicers forums, so I am unsure of just how many people are into that line but I have to assume it is nowhere near the numbers for the top three lines. I don't begrudge others for their favorite game lines but Splicers has seen less support than any other line; at least as far as I know. Even if their had been a large number wanting more for this line, what is the possibility a good number of them have moved on due to lack of support?

No Problem Ice Falcon, it may not be for everyone, nothing truly is, but it indeed will not cease.

The Splicers forums are pure awesomeness with some of the best posters and creative imaginations in the Palladium community, IMHO. I do agree that it has suffered tremendously from the lack of support, but the increasing support that has recently surged will see it rise again, that I am confident in. The top three lines have their worthy support and I am glad to see them thriving, but there is no "good" reason why they can't or shouldn't be joined with another awesome game that delivers a wonderful, unique setting and entertaining gaming experience. That's why I don't see why Splicers gets hated on some much as "if" it threatens the support of other gamelines. BTW, not directed at you Icefalcon, just speaking on what I have observed. Personally, I understand cutting off a game that is not licensed anymore or a gameline that Freelancers aren't submitting scripts to or where the following isn't there to sustain interest or sales.

However, with Splicers its not the case at all:

A. It has a "growing" following and a strong, devoted supportive fanbase "WE are the SPLICEHEADS!!!".
B. It is still being supported with recent material in Rifters on a steady basis.
C. There is no other RPG out like it right now from ANY other gaming company! It is simply "one of" the most unique games there is.
D. With only one core book released it was nominated as "Game of the Year". With more published support, it will likely surge with positive results.
E. There is an increasing amount of completed scripts being turned in by published Freelancers in Palladium's current roster to meet the growing demand for this setting. The likelihood of published support for Splicers is VERY HIGH!!!

I could continue to list reasons why this gameline won't be shut down, but I think I have stated enough to support the case.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

jaymz wrote:I would keep Rifts, PFRPG, and HU. That is it.

Dead Reign, in my opinion, has run it's course. Robotech has just about done so as well.

EVERYTHING ELSE (and including Dead Reign) would be relegated to Rifter articles or Online Content only. However I would increase the Rifter to0 6 issues a year.

I am pretty confident that Dead Reign sales will argue otherwise on that one.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Premier wrote:
jaymz wrote:I would keep Rifts, PFRPG, and HU. That is it.

I am pretty confident that Dead Reign sales will argue otherwise on that one.

Sales are one thing...content is another. From what I have seen the bulk of the "new content" is not really that new but mostly tables etc. I can make my own tables. If we have to wait as long as we do for a new book, I want something with actual content not a 48 page splat book with a bunch of tables most gamers can make in their sleep.

Also, this was a what if. I answered. I didn't think this was going to be a debate.

Edit - you will also notice I did not say all the lines would be ended and buried but relegated to the online content and The Rifter so NEW content could be written and published just not as it's own line.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”