Whats wrong with these forums?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dunia
Adventurer

Whats wrong with these forums?

Unread post by Dunia »

Disclaimer:
This is not meant to be an attack on Palladium Games, the various people who works for Palladium Games or its free lancers (past and present) nor is a personal attack on any members of the forums (past or present). The worst thing is that I feel I have to write this disclaimer else someone will report me to the mods and I will probably be banned. I do not intent to insult anyone in this post so if I inadvertedly do insult anyone, I ask for forgiveness and thus we can hopefully let it slip. [End of Disclaimer]

Now to my post.

For the last couple of years, I have been roaming around on about eight other forums beloning to other companies in the RPG branch and I must say that I find it hard to understand why the Palladium Games forum is so special, no this is not a good special, it is in fact a very bad special. What I am talking about is that nowhere on the forums where I have been roaming have I seen such a harsh and aggresive language towards those that hold an opposite opinion.

When I started playing Rifts, I loved it and my posts here reflected my like the game, still there were people here that did not for one reason or another did not like PG, various PG games or another forum members and there were constant bickering. I did not understand it, but with time I became jaded when it comes to PG and unfortunately I becmae a part of the "opposition" of the die-hard fans and thus I became an enemy of those people.

Why is the atmosphere like this on these forums. I mean on other forums that I follow nowdays, there are die-hard supporters, an opposition to various policies and everything between. Still the language on those forums are civil, kind and they can debate their opposite views without a moderator having to lock the thread. So what is so special about PG fanbois and fangirls (This includes all who hang on this forums, as we are all fans of PG, else we would not play their games). Why are the language here so harsh and why do the mods have to constatly lock down threads?

Is it the lack of direct communication with the company (i.e. The staff) and that we have to go through the moderators? Because on Rävspel, Atlas Games and Mongoose Publishing the creators and staff are more active and take time to answer questions from their fans. But still, on Fria Ligan, the creators are more like Palladium Books and the atmosphere there is more civil and kind. So it can not just be that problem.

Is it that Kevin has an unrealistic view on what can be produced in a year? It can't be that because on Mongoose Publishing, they have had a similar problem wuith a few products and still the fans sometimes complain of the Alien Module for the Droyne race which was promised over a year ago, still their tone is very civil and understanding.

Now I know that I should not throw stones while I am sitting in a glasshouse, and I know that I have written some less than kind comments in the past, and I apologize to all parties and mods that I have wronged. But I guess now looking back that I was sucked in by the bad atmospehere here and it often got me angry when people are rude because you hold an opposite opinion. So I do not say that I am an angel. I just want to understand because this is something that bother me. Before I came to this forum, i would never had been so rude and it is only on this forum that I am. So what is so special about Palladium Games forums that does that to people.

I am just curious, what is so special about this forum that makes people so overly mean to eachother?
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Whats wrong with these forums?

Unread post by say652 »

Because everyone belives there opinion to be the only correct one. Um wild creativity is stomped. Everytime! A "click" of members&mods does exist. And really its just who ever the sharks feel like going after.
BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

You know I was thinking of asking a pretty similar question myself.

Some of the threads are completely poisonous on here, with just walls of quotes back and fourth of 2 people just smarmily dissecting each others posts. I frequent several gaming forums and this one is by far the most hostile.

That being said its not every area of this forum that is like that and some of the various forums and the people on them are quite awesome, friendly and helpful.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I like the system. And am a fan. I am also a quick tempered dolt. Lol.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Personalities. Pfft. I have four. Actually.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

gods I would like to see how this conversation plays out...if it is still kicking when I have time to post I'll give my 2 cents...
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Nightfactory wrote:
say652 wrote:Personalities. Pfft. I have four. Actually.

Five, if you consider your Hello Kitty The Destroyer persona. :wink:

That one is called GLITTER HULK. Lol. For real. Lmao
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

I do see a little bit hostility here, but it is not as bad as some of the other forums I went to (mostly videogames, which are very toxic), and I admit I did ster some hostilities on one thread here (sorry Nightfactory, I just wasn't myself after being awake for 48 hours unintentionally, it brought out a bad part of me and I should have made that comment). All and all PB's forums not so bad in my book.
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

BuzzardB wrote:You know I was thinking of asking a pretty similar question myself.

Some of the threads are completely poisonous on here, with just walls of quotes back and fourth of 2 people just smarmily dissecting each others posts. I frequent several gaming forums and this one is by far the most hostile.

That being said its not every area of this forum that is like that and some of the various forums and the people on them are quite awesome, friendly and helpful.

Oh yes, many are quite helpful amd kind. But still as you say, the atmosphere here can be quite poisonous in certain threads. And There are/have been some people that in the past (i do not follow the thrteads that much nowdays) who seemed (I am not sure, and thus I can not say for sure) to do all they could to lock other people's threads by posting quite unnecessary and very rude and hostile posts or just irrellevant jokes.

But yes you are correct, most posters here are quite kind and helpful.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

I think it is a bi-product of Palladium being less popular in the RPG circles. That lack of popularity draws in the "Hipster" crowd that are too cool for mainstream RPGs and tend to champion the less known RPGs as the next best thing - Hipsters tend to feel pretty special about their hobbies as their thing and only their thing but like the world to know that they are the pioneers of the less popular, so they can give themselves credit for being in a clique that the mainstream sheep aren't even aware of.
When a Hipster gets in a room with a bunch of other Hispters that share that same hobby, they feel a little less special and it causes conflict.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Giant2005 wrote:I think it is a bi-product of Palladium being less popular in the RPG circles. That lack of popularity draws in the "Hipster" crowd that are too cool for mainstream RPGs and tend to champion the less known RPGs as the next best thing.

:lol:

Awesome.

Josh Sinsapaugh. I'm just going to leave this right here until he finds this.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I find these forums to be an argumentative and off putting place quite often and I am desensitised to most of it by now.

It is usually limited to this forum and conversations about the companies business practices. If u need a break just avoid this one and see the difference.
Quite often Ive found it is indeed the same people arguing - and usually about the same stuff! lol :lol:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
darthyagi
D-Bee

Unread post by darthyagi »

Giant2005 wrote:I think it is a bi-product of Palladium being less popular in the RPG circles. That lack of popularity draws in the "Hipster" crowd that are too cool for mainstream RPGs and tend to champion the less known RPGs as the next best thing - Hipsters tend to feel pretty special about their hobbies as their thing and only their thing but like the world to know that they are the pioneers of the less popular, so they can give themselves credit for being in a clique that the mainstream sheep aren't even aware of.

I'm not so sure I agree. I don't consider myself a hipster (although I do have a beard...well, goatee) and I feel like it's a pain in the @$$ to have such a hard time finding people that play in the area. I don't play other RPGs because they don't have the depth that various PB games have, nor do they generally have the ability to cross-pollinate with one another.

Dunia wrote:...And There are/have been some people that in the past ... who seemed ... to do all they could to lock other people's threads by posting quite unnecessary and very rude and hostile posts or just irrellevant jokes.

One of my threads (which I thought could lead to a valuable discussion) got locked for this. But I don't know that people do it intentionally. Let's be honest--most of us are probably pretty socially awkward, and so we (I speak for myself, at least) can sometimes say something insensitive when I'm not thinking straight or don't have all the facts. But you're right. If people do it on purpose, they should keep it to themselves.

Nightfactory wrote:If more people actually contributed, instead of just lurking, I think it would spread out the stronger personalities and make them less noticable.

That'd be awesome. The only obstacles I see there are the fact that not very many people know about PB and spend any time on forums, and the fact that it's possible there would be more people with intense/contentious personalities. But you're probably right that it would dilute the waters a little.

Dunia wrote:Disclaimer:...

I've not noticed as much hostility on this forum as I've seen on others, but I've seen a lot more actual attempts at creating dialogues on other forums. I don't know if it's an issue that we on this forum tend to fly off the handle at times, or if we've all just got intense personalities. But proportionally, I'd say the discussions here do tend to be a little more heated, despite being relatively civil.

That being said, we can do better. We should try to get more people involved in the forums so we can have more discussions going. Naturally, some conversations will rub certain people the wrong way, but the more discussion goes on and the more people are involved, the better the community will be overall.

Also, it's not just the members that need to be more involved. Mods are as involved as they can be expected to be, but the creators of the game (and freelancers) should be *encouraged* to participate as well. Honestly, I don't know why they aren't the most involved of us all. The fact that they aren't suggests to me that they see themselves as too important to rub elbows with us, which makes me a little uneasy about the far-distant future.

Dunia wrote:I do not intent to insult anyone in this post so if I inadvertedly do insult anyone, I ask for forgiveness and thus we can hopefully let it slip.

Basically, I think you and I are thinking similar things and trying to bring up issues about the fan community and PB (I started this thread to try getting something going, but alas...it's locked). I think we each just couched our terms in different ways.
I write so much, I think my wrists just fell out.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

I never started with Palladium games, and this was not the first message board I signed up with.

I started with D&D and signed up on the WotC boards. As for these boards being "special", well they are in-fact mild. Basically I would come here when I needed a forum 'vacation'.

What I would do during the height of 3.x edition of D&D, I would come here because this was a mild board, so I can only suggest that it's your sampling has been lucky otherwise.

I mean, I can see categorically why these boards may have degenerated, and that's because there has been no improvement; it appears the company is banking on simply maintaining the status-quo, but people are unpredictable, even when they're predictable.

So regardless the factors as to why the people here are what you consider to be particularly bad, this isn't the worst board I've been on, and can only attribute this to personal experiences.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Unread post by The Ruiner »

Nightfactory wrote:One issue, though, is that there's a ton of people here who log on almost every day but never post. So you get the same core group of about 50 people starting all the threads and making all the replies. Sometimes people's personalites can start to wear on each other.
If more people actually contributed, instead of just lurking, I think it would spread out the stronger personalities and make them less noticable.

As someone who has been on these forums for a little more than 10 years, but only has 70 posts, I am indeed one of the lurkers. I actually have a few reasons as to why this is so.

First and foremost, I am VERY timid when it comes to on-line interactions. I am not as bad with in person discussions, but for some reason posting on forums, chatting, rp'ing online, even multiplayer video games terrifies me. I quite literally am shaking as I write this even though nothing antagonistic has even been said yet. And that is a key word here..."yet".

Way too often have I witnessed discussions devolve into vitrol laced, sacrasm laden attempts to put down, embarass, discredit or just flat out insult others. That's not to say there isn't a healthy dose of genuinely helpfull people on here, because there are. I could probably name of a dozen or so posters off the top of my head whos' opinions and conduct I respect and even admire. I won't name names(wouldn't want their heads to get too big would we? :P ).

Another reason I lurk more than post is because I am at work and obviously don't have any books with me to back up any posts, claims,observations, ect..(Please don't tell my boss :eek: ) My memory is horrid, so I don't trust it to carry me in a discussion. That and sometimes, after reading some of the extensively thought out posts, I kinda feel like I can't compete. I don't have the knowledge or the capacity to keep up with some of the more technical discussions. At some point or another, everyone else seems to come off as an expert in several varied topics and it is very intimidating. I sometimes wonder if I am even smart enough to be involved in this hobby, much less G.M. it.

O.K., this has started to turn into a pity party so I'm gonna just go back to lurking now
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I am opinionated and strange and often wrong. Still offer my input though. Face it rpg'ers we all we got. Be kind to one another. Or at least argue inbox style like a grown-up.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

I have been around on some forums myself (mostly MMO forums) you should see some of the nastiness out there, while some players seem hostile towards others we generally hold on tight because we are all we have.

With some exceptions of course.

If you are ever looking for people being mean or rude or super snotty check out forums for the various MMO games out there, you will cry.

OMG there is someone here who wanted to use my name :shock:
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I got hazed my first year. Grammar. Spelling. Page numbers. Ideas crushed. But hey its all part of being in Sparta. Lol
Giant2005
Knight

The Ruiner wrote:
Nightfactory wrote:One issue, though, is that there's a ton of people here who log on almost every day but never post. So you get the same core group of about 50 people starting all the threads and making all the replies. Sometimes people's personalites can start to wear on each other.
If more people actually contributed, instead of just lurking, I think it would spread out the stronger personalities and make them less noticable.

As someone who has been on these forums for a little more than 10 years, but only has 70 posts, I am indeed one of the lurkers. I actually have a few reasons as to why this is so.

First and foremost, I am VERY timid when it comes to on-line interactions. I am not as bad with in person discussions, but for some reason posting on forums, chatting, rp'ing online, even multiplayer video games terrifies me. I quite literally am shaking as I write this even though nothing antagonistic has even been said yet. And that is a key word here..."yet".

Way too often have I witnessed discussions devolve into vitrol laced, sacrasm laden attempts to put down, embarass, discredit or just flat out insult others. That's not to say there isn't a healthy dose of genuinely helpfull people on here, because there are. I could probably name of a dozen or so posters off the top of my head whos' opinions and conduct I respect and even admire. I won't name names(wouldn't want their heads to get too big would we? :P ).

Another reason I lurk more than post is because I am at work and obviously don't have any books with me to back up any posts, claims,observations, ect..(Please don't tell my boss :eek: ) My memory is horrid, so I don't trust it to carry me in a discussion. That and sometimes, after reading some of the extensively thought out posts, I kinda feel like I can't compete. I don't have the knowledge or the capacity to keep up with some of the more technical discussions. At some point or another, everyone else seems to come off as an expert in several varied topics and it is very intimidating. I sometimes wonder if I am even smart enough to be involved in this hobby, much less G.M. it.

O.K., this has started to turn into a pity party so I'm gonna just go back to lurking now

That is a real shame - your apparent lack of ego would make you a great asset to these forums if you would put yourself out there more often. We need more people like you.
JohnnyCanuck
D-Bee

Unread post by JohnnyCanuck »

The Ruiner wrote:As someone who has been on these forums for a little more than 10 years, but only has 70 posts...

Pfft. Get off my lawn, you darned kid.

:wink:
The NCWO: One Canada, One World.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Still spend lots of time on the forums.
The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Unread post by The Ruiner »

*Looks at Johnny's stats* 13 yrs......6 posts...Impressive, Most Impressive.
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
JohnnyCanuck
D-Bee

Unread post by JohnnyCanuck »

The Ruiner wrote:*Looks at Johnny's stats* 13 yrs......6 posts...Impressive, Most Impressive.

There used to be thousands of posts, and the regdate is actually older than that... But the loss of the Threaded Fora and The Great Purges came down upon us, and they were lost... like tears in the rain.

Let me tell you kids about the time that me, Scott Johnson, Cybermancer, AnubisXy, and Maryanne were all engaged in a terrible flamewar. It happened in '98, as I recall.. or maybe '99? Well, you see, Axy posted the first of a series of *falls asleep*
The NCWO: One Canada, One World.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Watching Gran Torino. To funny. Lol
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Giant2005 wrote:I think it is a bi-product of Palladium being less popular in the RPG circles. That lack of popularity draws in the "Hipster" crowd that are too cool for mainstream RPGs and tend to champion the less known RPGs as the next best thing - Hipsters tend to feel pretty special about their hobbies as their thing and only their thing but like the world to know that they are the pioneers of the less popular, so they can give themselves credit for being in a clique that the mainstream sheep aren't even aware of.
When a Hipster gets in a room with a bunch of other Hispters that share that same hobby, they feel a little less special and it causes conflict.

I'll have you know Sir that my mustache and I take very serious offense at being referred to as "hipster". Rather than vent my anger at your defamatory slight, I shall instead go listen to some music by a band you've probably never heard of. I'll do this at Starbucks while wearing an ironic vintage T-shirt, skinny jeans, and thrift store shoes. If you care to look, I'll be easily spotted. I'm the completely unique individual that stands out from everyone else.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I support the skinny jeans.
Giant2005
Knight

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:

I'll have you know Sir that my mustache and I take very serious offense at being referred to as "hipster". Rather than vent my anger at your defamatory slight, I shall instead go listen to some music by a band you've probably never heard of. I'll do this at Starbucks while wearing an ironic vintage T-shirt, skinny jeans, and thrift store shoes. If you care to look, I'll be easily spotted. I'm the completely unique individual that stands out from everyone else.

:lol:
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

If you think the PB forums have issues, come party on theRPGsite with the really bad kids!

If the Dark Side has cookies, I'm sure we are drowning in brownies.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Nightfactory wrote:You will, then, appreciate this song about the London hipster scene. :wink:

Wow. Just..Wow.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Yea I am not timid. I like the forums Have my issues with people but who hasn't. For the most part it has been a enjoyable experience using the forums.
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

I see what you mean about Hipsters getting together...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAO4EVMlpwM
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Are we making jokes and getting along. Omg.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Dunia wrote:For the last couple of years, I have been roaming around on about eight other forums beloning to other companies in the RPG branch and I must say that I find it hard to understand why the Palladium Games forum is so special, no this is not a good special, it is in fact a very bad special. What I am talking about is that nowhere on the forums where I have been roaming have I seen such a harsh and aggresive language towards those that hold an opposite opinion.
We obviously have not been visiting the same sites...
If anything these forums are tame in comparison.

When I started playing Rifts, I loved it and my posts here reflected my like the game, still there were people here that did not for one reason or another did not like PG, various PG games or another forum members and there were constant bickering. I did not understand it, but with time I became jaded when it comes to PG and unfortunately I becmae a part of the "opposition" of the die-hard fans and thus I became an enemy of those people.

Why is the atmosphere like this on these forums. I mean on other forums that I follow nowdays, there are die-hard supporters, an opposition to various policies and everything between. Still the language on those forums are civil, kind and they can debate their opposite views without a moderator having to lock the thread. So what is so special about PG fanbois and fangirls (This includes all who hang on this forums, as we are all fans of PG, else we would not play their games). Why are the language here so harsh and why do the mods have to constatly lock down threads?
Again our experiences differ...
I know of several "popular" game companies sites where twice the number of threads receive warnings and locks as do here. (Maybe I tend to frequent the more volatile threads?)

Is it the lack of direct communication with the company (i.e. The staff) and that we have to go through the moderators? Because on Rävspel, Atlas Games and Mongoose Publishing the creators and staff are more active and take time to answer questions from their fans. But still, on Fria Ligan, the creators are more like Palladium Books and the atmosphere there is more civil and kind. So it can not just be that problem.

Is it that Kevin has an unrealistic view on what can be produced in a year? It can't be that because on Mongoose Publishing, they have had a similar problem wuith a few products and still the fans sometimes complain of the Alien Module for the Droyne race which was promised over a year ago, still their tone is very civil and understanding.

Now I know that I should not throw stones while I am sitting in a glasshouse, and I know that I have written some less than kind comments in the past, and I apologize to all parties and mods that I have wronged. But I guess now looking back that I was sucked in by the bad atmospehere here and it often got me angry when people are rude because you hold an opposite opinion. So I do not say that I am an angel. I just want to understand because this is something that bother me. Before I came to this forum, i would never had been so rude and it is only on this forum that I am. So what is so special about Palladium Games forums that does that to people.

I am just curious, what is so special about this forum that makes people so overly mean to eachother?

The proper questions is not what is it that makes this forum special but the hobby in general...
The answer may shock you...
It is the Nature of man.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Most times its just breakin balls. (Rough edged joking) but on occasion it is a straight out assualt.
@Damian. Indeed. It is the nature of man.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

say652 wrote:Most times its just breakin balls. (Rough edged joking) but on occasion it is a straight out assualt.
@Damian. Indeed. It is the nature of man.
And if you think the Pally forums are bad...
Do not ever visit the Official WotC MTG forums...
Those guys get down right obscene if you suggest a card "might" be OP or broken.

(Should have seen the flame war that started over an April Fools post on the banning of basic lands...)
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Yea I competed in several magic tournaments back in the ice age ;)
I got barred for throttling a player for using slang terms regarding me and my boyfriend.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

say652 wrote:Yea I competed in several magic tournaments back in the ice age ;)
I see what you did there... :lol:
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

JohnnyCanuck wrote:There used to be thousands of posts, and the regdate is actually older than that... But the loss of the Threaded Fora and The Great Purges came down upon us, and they were lost... like tears in the rain.

Let me tell you kids about the time that me, Scott Johnson, Cybermancer, AnubisXy, and Maryanne were all engaged in a terrible flamewar. It happened in '98, as I recall.. or maybe '99? Well, you see, Axy posted the first of a series of *falls asleep*

Sometimes I wistfully think back to the forums from the late 90's. Those were pretty good times. Knight, Brute Force, AnubisXy, Therumancer, and untold others.

This place has definitely changed in the decade and change since, and not just the software.

Of course, I too have changed, so it's probably a mix of both that lead to my current views on the, ah, discourse that occurs.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

darthyagi wrote: Let's be honest--most of us are probably pretty socially awkward, and so we (I speak for myself, at least) can sometimes say something insensitive when I'm not thinking straight or don't have all the facts. But you're right. If people do it on purpose, they should keep it to themselves.

I have to say, I hate the stereotype that paints roleplayers as socially awkward. The whole point of getting a group together is to BE social.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

even together socially...we're still awkward.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I am not sure I agree with that Jorel. Most of the gamers I have had the pleasure of gaming with have not been the shy, awkward or quiet type. Heck, even a good majority have that Type A personality (which can make players and GM's butt heads on occasion). It may be true that most older gamers started out that way but I don't meet many newer gamers that have much of a problem fitting into social situations. It is even considered cool to be a geek now. ;)
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

Nightfactory;

I tend to uberlurk because it's rare that I find myself adding to any of the threads I've posted in (in other words, what I've tried to contribute to a number of threads mostly ends up being contextually ignored), so burnout- or just plain lack of desire to contribute- is easy to get to.

The other thing goes back a fair ways: I had more than one interaction with a user who at the time was a longtime poster (this dates back to my originally signing up around 2004 or so, if I'm remembering it right), although he or she hasn't posted here in over two years now, that was extremely discouraging. It involved their 'issue' with a certain PFRPG race & O.C.C. combination, and while it never degenerated into mudslinging on either side, it was one of the first involved experiences I had here, period...which, being fair, said first impression soured my view of the Megaverse Forums and I was probably away for the better part of 8 years before I came back here.

I guess, enucleating a bit, I'm of a mind to not expect much if anything in reply to a post I make here. I don't think I'll ever stop loving Palladium's games, I just don't find myself inclined to post here much.

That's my two Imperial Silvers.

-Boe.
FluidicAztec
Explorer

Unread post by FluidicAztec »

JohnnyCanuck wrote:
The Ruiner wrote:*Looks at Johnny's stats* 13 yrs......6 posts...Impressive, Most Impressive.

There used to be thousands of posts, and the regdate is actually older than that... But the loss of the Threaded Fora and The Great Purges came down upon us, and they were lost... like tears in the rain.

Funny, I remember when Axy was new and Therumancer would get in long dissertations with people. The old boards were pretty cool and there was a lot of crossing from other game forums. That was the late 90's...zzzzzz
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

We should have a Nerf War at the next Open House to settle forum disputes.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

For me it would have to be how some posters take any criticism towards PB as a personal insult to themselves. For example Nightfactory posted this in one thread.

"MADMANMIKE wrote:
Nightfactory wrote:
RPGs are a great institution that all of us enjoy, but I can see a day not too far off when they vanish completely.

Not while I still breath.

Me too, but I hope Palladium will wake up from its long slumber and consider some new strategies and different business models."

Now it's not what NF posted that's the problem. It's how one individual took his post and turned it into a flame war when there was non. One poster had a knee jerk reaction and got the thread closed. Even when NF showed proof of what he was saying all the other poster could do is say "your wrong and you don't know what your talking about." To me this is what's wrong with the forums. Folks who stick their head in the sand and don't face reality.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Ok bring it in. GROUP HUG. *who ever is palming my ass please remove the hand or I keep it*
Ok good talk. Lets not tell the other Spartans about this ok.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”