Un-Official Open House North

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Should we do an Open House North?

This is an excellent idea.
38%
This is a terrible idea.
8%
I am not from Ontario, and I dont care.
12%
I am not from Ontario, but do it anyways, it is a good idea
19%
I am not from Ontario, and I think it is a terrible idea.
No votes
I am not from Ontario, but if you do it I will make the trip.
No votes
Tacos.
23%
Other (please explain below).
No votes

Total votes: 26

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Un-Official Open House North

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Based upon recent threads there seems to be a large number of Palladium players in Ontario (Canada, for those who may need clarification). It was suggested there that perhaps, for those of use who cant get to the other Palladium Open Houses that we hold our own. I dub it 'Open House North". What say you all, yay or nay?

(Before we discuss the where and when, I figured we should see if there is enough interest).
Last edited by 13eowulf on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Re: Un-Official Open House North

Unread post by Greyaxe »

13eowulf wrote:Based upon recent threads there seems to be a large number of Palladium players in Ontario (Canada, for those who may need clarification). It was suggested there that perhaps, for those of use who cant get to the other Palladium Open Houses that we hold our own. I dub it 'Open House North". What say you all, yay or nay?

(Before we discuss the where and when, I figured we should see if there is enough interest).

Good idea. Love to meet some more Palladium players from Ontario.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

It's a great idea, would just need to see what day was selected if I could book the time off work or not.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

From Ontario, think it's a fine idea, have no interest in attending, but I wish you luck all the same.

Already attending roughly 7 conventions in the next year working for a friend, can't see myself adding an eighth.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

That I think is a given for most people, the date I mean.

I would be curious to know the reasoning of whomever thinks it is a terrible idea...
Oderint Dum Metuant.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Count me in but I most assuredly don;t have time to plan it....

Also Razz's wife can provide goodies....forward contributions for such ahead of time :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Ysabiau
D-Bee
Comment: "You were supposed to dodge!"

Unread post by Ysabiau »

I'm in, and I think it's safe to say Reece would go as well - depending on the date and time of year. His weekends get a bit crazy during the summer.
"You were supposed to dodge!"
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

just asking, but what exactly would make it an open house as such?

i mean, if there's not actually anyone from palladium there, is it really an open house so much as a mini-convention?

(not that there's anything wrong with a mini-convention, just that i'm not really seeing how it's an open house).
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Shark_Force wrote:just asking, but what exactly would make it an open house as such?

i mean, if there's not actually anyone from palladium there, is it really an open house so much as a mini-convention?

(not that there's anything wrong with a mini-convention, just that i'm not really seeing how it's an open house).

Well 13eowulf is a Megaversal Ambassador so that counts! :P

Honestly though, doesn't really matter what we call it, 'Unofficial Palladium Open House Canada', 'Open House North', 'Random Nerds In The Park', I mostly called it Unofficial Open House so everyone knew what I was trying to do.

Either way I think we should go ahead and organize it.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

It could be important. Using Palladium's name without their explicit permission is probably a bad idea.

I could totally start a mini convention for Penny Arcade fans, but starting "PAX North" and using their name/symbols/etc would probably get me a sternly worded letter from Robert.

Hrm, I wouldn't mind getting a letter from Robert...
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Call them if you think they will have issue. They had no problems with us using Palladium in the name for next months event.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Razzinold
Hero

@Forar and Jorel - I only mentioned that name on their own website, it's not like I'm planning on making banners to hang up at the campground or booking it under that name. I already stated that I only called it that to basically parody/mimic the one that rat_bastard (among others) organize.

It also wasn't my intention to advertise it to the general public, although maybe other people wanted to do that, so I wasn't going to ask all the comic shops in the are to hang up posters.
I basically just wanted to get together with a few people from the boards, not trying to start a yearly organized event that would be considered a convention (even a mini one) by any standards.

If I was even thinking about doing something that large I would definitely contact Palladium to let them know what I was doing, but I still wouldn't use their name in the event title. I would simply put that we are running demos from Palladium but in no way do we represent the company in any official capacity. We are simply acting as Ambassadors to promote the products.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Razzinold wrote:@Forar and Jorel - I only mentioned that name on their own website, it's not like I'm planning on making banners to hang up at the campground or booking it under that name. I already stated that I only called it that to basically parody/mimic the one that rat_bastard (among others) organize.

It also wasn't my intention to advertise it to the general public, although maybe other people wanted to do that, so I wasn't going to ask all the comic shops in the are to hang up posters.
I basically just wanted to get together with a few people from the boards, not trying to start a yearly organized event that would be considered a convention (even a mini one) by any standards.

If I was even thinking about doing something that large I would definitely contact Palladium to let them know what I was doing, but I still wouldn't use their name in the event title. I would simply put that we are running demos from Palladium but in no way do we represent the company in any official capacity. We are simply acting as Ambassadors to promote the products.

Similarly I only used the name Open House North so that people already familiar with the Open House will know instantly the idea of what we are about.
Side Note: The company name doesnt actually appear in the thread title above, no one not already familiar with Palladium would know what we are talking about.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

And I'm sure that'd end up kosher all the same, Beo.

Just saying, these are the kinds of things people have to be careful about.

Like, on the PA forums, community members make up their own challenge coins for the events. No association with PA or PAX, just entirely community driven. They're politely asked to not use PAX or PA trademarks or copyrighted materials, but they've had the blessing of the head honchos for years now. It's entirely non-profit and voluntary, and they still manage to produce a damned fine product. Ended up buying two of them myself, if just to help the project and snag a little piece of the events, as I've yet to be able to go myself (maybe that'll be Convention 8 next year...)
Razzinold
Hero

13eowulf wrote:
Razzinold wrote:@Forar and Jorel - I only mentioned that name on their own website, it's not like I'm planning on making banners to hang up at the campground or booking it under that name. I already stated that I only called it that to basically parody/mimic the one that rat_bastard (among others) organize.

Similarly I only used the name Open House North so that people already familiar with the Open House will know instantly the idea of what we are about.
Side Note: The company name doesn't actually appear in the thread title above, no one not already familiar with Palladium would know what we are talking about.

I think he meant me, I referred to it as our own version of the Unofficial Palladium Open House.

Side Note: I should have thanked Forar and Jorel in my last post, so I will do it now. Thanks for the advice and good looking out for a fellow gamer :ok: I appreciate any assistance since the only convention I ever attended was a small Warhammer one in Toronto one time, unless you count all the classic car shows I attend with my Chevelle :mrgreen:
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

You're welcome.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and I don't think it's unfair to say that Palladium is rather protective of their IP/Trademarks. Would they come down on a fan led event celebrating them? Maybe not. Hell, even probably not. But getting a C&D can rather sour one on a thing, and it's an aspect people don't always think about.

Sure, you're celebrating them as a company! And if the name is too prominent, people might think that you're associated directly, or officially affiliated, and then if something happens that goes negatively, suddenly they might have to do some serious damage control over something that shouldn't have been an issue.

I work for a major company, and man, I wouldn't dream of using their name for anything, ever, without checking it through the boss, the bosses boss, and like 3 times through Legal.

As I said, I'm not interested, but I do wish the folks who want to make it happen luck.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Forar - if I am Toronto for a weekend to this I'll be damned if I don't at least to hook up with you for a couple beers :lol:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

-snrk-
I voted Tacos just because I love tacos... seriously though if it's within easy Go-Train access or even within T.O. I'm willing to give it a whirl ;)
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

DhAkael wrote:-snrk-
I voted Tacos just because I love tacos... seriously though if it's within easy Go-Train access or even within T.O. I'm willing to give it a whirl ;)

And thus beers with you as well :ok:

\m/
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Forar wrote:Hrm, I wouldn't mind getting a letter from Robert...

alas, you would probably only get a letter from their lawyer :'(
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Shark_Force wrote:
Forar wrote:Hrm, I wouldn't mind getting a letter from Robert...

alas, you would probably only get a letter from their lawyer :'(

Basically the same thing.

FEAR THE KHOO!
Razzinold
Hero

Tacos are awesome and if I was able to vote twice that would have been my second vote.

As for location, I had assumed it would be held at some sort of camping ground, much like the other unofficial one. I know that I personally have never camped in Toronto but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist I suppose.

Unless other people were figuring on renting space somewhere else, like a hall or hotel or something like that.

So I guess we need to determine two key points before any other conservation continues. 1] Are we going ahead with this and 2] who is going to be organizing it.

I will help organize it, not sure if I would have enough free time to do it all by myself but I suppose I can try. I also don't want to step on anybody's toes, does anyone else want to help organize it, or even do it all themselves?
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

If I lived in the GTA I'd volunteer to give it a go, but at it stands I'm about a two hours west of T.O. so it'll make it kind of hard to organize something if T.O. is the desired location.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

I'm glad to see that support for Tacos is growing.

Keep voting. We can win this thing!
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

We could have the main event day catered by a taco place....
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

13eowulf wrote:We could have the main event day catered by a taco place....

Keep talking...
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Razzinold
Hero

auyl wrote:If I lived in the GTA I'd volunteer to give it a go, but at it stands I'm about a two hours west of T.O. so it'll make it kind of hard to organize something if T.O. is the desired location.

I know I wasn't planning on having it in Toronto, however other people may feel different about that.

I figured we would find a campsite, or something to that extent, we could all meet up at. Sure if might be a bit of a drive but it wouldn't matter if it is a 2-3 day event.

If everyone wanted to do a 1 day event then I could get rent the hall where I live for like 25 bucks, or maybe it's 50 on the weekend.

There is lots of space, tables, chairs, bathrooms, full kitchen, big screen tv. People use it for new year parties, wedding receptions, baby showers that kind of stuff.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Razzinold wrote:
auyl wrote:If I lived in the GTA I'd volunteer to give it a go, but at it stands I'm about a two hours west of T.O. so it'll make it kind of hard to organize something if T.O. is the desired location.

I know I wasn't planning on having it in Toronto, however other people may feel different about that.

I figured we would find a campsite, or something to that extent, we could all meet up at. Sure if might be a bit of a drive but it wouldn't matter if it is a 2-3 day event.

If everyone wanted to do a 1 day event then I could get rent the hall where I live for like 25 bucks, or maybe it's 50 on the weekend.

There is lots of space, tables, chairs, bathrooms, full kitchen, big screen tv. People use it for new year parties, wedding receptions, baby showers that kind of stuff.

There are a few good size halls where I live, plus a campsite. All the halls are fairly accessible to the 401, the campsite not so much but it's easy to find. If I organize this however, it'd probably have to wait till the fall when vacation slows down at my work and the wedding parties/receptions slow down. I know I couldn't get the hall I'm thinking of right now since their pretty much booked up all summer long. October/November would be more realistic to get the hall, but then the conservation area where the campsite is closed at that time.
jreece06
Wanderer

Unread post by jreece06 »

I know some guys who run a taco truck... could have them come to a campsite
There once was a dragon named Ernie... who was very special ;)
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

There is (or was) a Taco Bell in a restaurant strip just north of the Oakville GO Station (used to go there for supper after college classes years back), although I don't know if the 'Tacos' option was meant literally or regarding that specific food.

But damn, I miss those double-orders of cheese fries sometimes. o_o

-Boe.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I used to work at a Taco Bell when I was much younger.

We discovered that a 'Chilito' with a bit of sour cream and nacho cheese added is damned tasty.

Probably also takes 2 weeks off your life expectancy.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

hmmm, taco bell...the lowest rung on the mexican food ladder.

"The Devil's among us!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

You sir need to try Del Taco before saying that. ;)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I don't know if we have those up here in WI. However I also think each franchise also has better and worse. I've been in Subway where the food looked almost fresh and I've been in them when it is clearly the lowest rung on the sandwich ladder as well.

"The Devil's among us!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

It looks like the closest would be in either Ohio or Michigan for you, but the damn things are all over out here. And you're right about franchises and one store being a lot worse (or better) then others.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Much as I'd like to attend, transport and schedule's tough for me, so I wish you all the best and hope it kicks off into some regularly thing I might attend years from now :)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Razzinold
Hero

Tor wrote:Much as I'd like to attend, transport and schedule's tough for me, so I wish you all the best and hope it kicks off into some regularly thing I might attend years from now :)

Where do you live ? Perhaps we could put aside our recent differences and I could pick you up, if it's on the way.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”